One with You

Gaia

1 hour ago, patricia-ann said:

I think Eva's engagement ring is a set because in EWY after she shopped for Gideon's ring (the one with the rubies) and she went to his office to give it to him she stopped outside his office and she said she unzipped the small pocket and drew out the "rings" inside it. I could be wrong but that's how I'm thinking of it.

I got the impression that by "rings" it was her engagement ring and the ring that she bought him

• Replies 790
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 hours ago, jmhope said:

I got the impression that by "rings" it was her engagement ring and the ring that she bought him

I didn't think of that only because she said she unzipped the pocket inside her purse (where she had put her rings when she got to work so no one would see them) and since she just bought it I didn't think she would put it in the inside pocket, but you could be right.

On 1/23/2016 at 9:43 PM, jmhope said:

I reread the the chapter for the wedding and you are right it was just her engagement ring. I just thought it was strange for her to purchase his ring and put it in the zippered portion of her purse haha.

3 minutes ago, patricia-ann said:

I reread the the chapter for the wedding and you are right it was just her engagement ring. I just thought it was strange for her to purchase his ring and put it in the zippered portion of her purse haha.

Eva wanted to keep his ring in a safe place and with easy access.  Mostly I thought it was just her engagement ring because Sylvia hasn't given us a description of her wedding band.  Sylvia is good at giving us descriptions like with the ring Gideon gave her in BTY, also the rings that Eva has bought for Gideon!.

Hopefully we will be getting another installment for chapter one soon!

4 minutes ago, jmhope said:

Eva wanted to keep his ring in a safe place and with easy access.  Mostly I thought it was just her engagement ring because Sylvia hasn't given us a description of her wedding band.  Sylvia is good at giving us descriptions like with the ring Gideon gave her in BTY, also the rings that Eva has bought for Gideon!.

You are correct again thank you.  I hope so too, but I'm thinking it will be Valentine's Day.

Let's start a new topic!  Why wouldn't Elizabeth tell Chris about the abuse?  Did Elizabeth stop Hugh from seeing Gideon after he told her about the abuse?  Why didn't Chris notice that the therapy sessions weren't happening any more?   These subjects were never answered in the books.

Maybe Chris was so wrapped in work that he may have never noticed the sessions stopped. Elizabeth probably didn't tell Chris because she was scared of furthering messing up the "perfect life" she portrayed or maybe she thought it could be swept under the rug. I hope OWY answers some of this. Gideon needs a sit down with his mother. 

12 hours ago, jmhope said:

The ring she was married with is the wedding ring his father gave his mother so I read it as being her wedding ring rather than an engagement ring, although the description is that of an engagement ring.  In the UK it's traditional to have the engagement ring, wedding ring and later an eternity ring but wondered if the US had a different tradition?

"I loved the timeless sophistication of it, but more so because it was the ring his father had married his mother with."

Edit:  In Captivated By You in the scene where she tells Christopher about the abuse Eva (in her thoughts) does call it an engagement ring.

10 hours ago, Seattle said:

Let's start a new topic!  Why wouldn't Elizabeth tell Chris about the abuse?  Did Elizabeth stop Hugh from seeing Gideon after he told her about the abuse?  Why didn't Chris notice that the therapy sessions weren't happening any more?   These subjects were never answered in the books.

We don't know what interest Chris took in Gideon as a child - is it possible that until Gideon was a successful adult and able to save Vidal Records, Chris took little notice of him (I think I am wrong because so far Chris has always been portrayed as a nice guy but from what was written about how Gideon was after his father died he may not have been very likeable.)

We also don't know  if the abuse stopped after Gideon told his mum and went through the investigation.  As the outcome was that everyone decided he had not been abused, is it possible they allowed Hugh to continue visiting? 

I'd agree that Chris being a busy man may not have been much involved in what occurred at home during the day time.  However Gideon is convinced that Chris knew - he told Eva "They discussed it at the dinner table one night, something I don't want to do."  When Eva explains that Chris seemed genuinely confused and horrified to learn of the abuse Gideon says "Then he's as conveniently obtuse as my mother.  you shouldn't be surprised."

One would think a mention of abuse of that kind, whether true or false an accusation, would register in a parent's mind and not be forgotten.

5 hours ago, D500 said:

The ring she was married with is the wedding ring his father gave his mother so I read it as being her wedding ring rather than an engagement ring, although the description is that of an engagement ring.  In the UK it's traditional to have the engagement ring, wedding ring and later an eternity ring but wondered if the US had a different tradition?

"I loved the timeless sophistication of it, but more so because it was the ring his father had married his mother with."

Edit:  In Captivated By You in the scene where she tells Christopher about the abuse Eva (in her thoughts) does call it an engagement ring.

In the US we have an engagement ring then a wedding band that you receive on your wedding day. Eva is wearing an engagement ring as kind of both right now. 

11 hours ago, D500 said:

We don't know what interest Chris took in Gideon as a child - is it possible that until Gideon was a successful adult and able to save Vidal Records, Chris took little notice of him (I think I am wrong because so far Chris has always been portrayed as a nice guy but from what was written about how Gideon was after his father died he may not have been very likeable.)

We also don't know  if the abuse stopped after Gideon told his mum and went through the investigation.  As the outcome was that everyone decided he had not been abused, is it possible they allowed Hugh to continue visiting? 

I'd agree that Chris being a busy man may not have been much involved in what occurred at home during the day time.  However Gideon is convinced that Chris knew - he told Eva "They discussed it at the dinner table one night, something I don't want to do."  When Eva explains that Chris seemed genuinely confused and horrified to learn of the abuse Gideon says "Then he's as conveniently obtuse as my mother.  you shouldn't be surprised."

One would think a mention of abuse of that kind, whether true or false an accusation, would register in a parent's mind and not be forgotten.

What about the part where Chris went to Gideon's penthouse and apologized for not knowing about the abuse and that he would have done something about it back when it happened? He did say that he went to Dr. Lucas' office and decked him knocking him out cold.  After reading it again I don't think Chris knew unless he's a good actor.

I'd forgotten about the scene at the apartment.  As Gideon seemed sure something about abuse was discussed, is it possible the subject was Christopher?  I doubt Elizabeth and Chris would have actually discussed the matter in front of Gideon so he was presumably out of sight but within earshot and may not have heard the entire conversation.

I have remarked several times in earlier posts that we need more info about Gideon's abuse like:  How old was he when it began and how old was he when it stopped.  How did it stop?  We  know he must have told Elizabeth about the abuse, that is how Dr. Lucas got involved.  Why there is such hatred from Christopher towards Gideon. So many questions, hopefully Sylvia will devote several chapters to this subject so that all our questions will be answered!.

Looking forward to the next installment of Chapter 1 and of course 4/5/2016!!  I will be very sad when their story ends.  :(

I did wonder if the scenario was something such as Christopher also being abused, but not aware that Gideon had been (and vice versa).  The reason Hugh was brought in was because Gideon was disruptive and Christopher had begun to imitate him so it is likely Christopher was also seen by the therapist.

So could it be that, if Christopher was also abused, he blames Gideon for being the person who unwittingly enabled Hugh to abuse Christopher?  If either brother were aware the other had also been abused their relationship might have been a better one.  Christopher may well have been telling his mum what he thought was the truth  when he said Gideon had not been abused - why would Hugh do something like that in front of another child when they too could go to their parents about it? 

I do hope this is a part of the story that is more fully explained for us and not given a quick write up such as the bracelet business, and how Brett was dealt with.  I'm assuming that after those few scenes in Captivated by You that he is now out of the story as there's so much to deal with regarding Gideon's other women there's little space for anything more about Brett).  We don't probably need to know much more about Deanna, but there has to be some resolution re Corrine and 'the book', and definitely a proper storyline with Anne Lucas.

Gideon would have been around 12 when he was abused. He said they started seeing a therapist when Christopher was 5, and he is around 6/7 years older than Christopher Jr. He also said the abuse lasted for a year. I fully believe Christopher was abused also, but being so young he might not remember. The issue of   Elizabeth telling Chris, and Gideon saying the discussed it over dinner. I think Elizabeth probably said something like "I took Gideon to the doctor" and that was it.   

7 hours ago, Lou1974 said:

Gideon would have been around 12 when he was abused. He said they started seeing a therapist when Christopher was 5, and he is around 6/7 years older than Christopher Jr. He also said the abuse lasted for a year. I fully believe Christopher was abused also, but being so young he might not remember. The issue of   Elizabeth telling Chris, and Gideon saying the discussed it over dinner. I think Elizabeth probably said something like "I took Gideon to the doctor" and that was it.   

This could totally be far fetched, but if Christopher was always emulating Gideon, but also had jealousy issues, could it be that when they were both being abused (and I do believe it was both of them) that Gideon was getting more attention from Hugh and that too made Christopher angry.  We know that what Hugh was "teaching" Gideon was things of a more mature nature,  assuming that wasn't what he was teaching Christopher since he was so much younger.  Could it be that by Christopher denying it, he was also getting back at Gideon for once again getting more attention (from Hugh this time) and this was yet another way to act out, by discrediting Gideon's claim.  Also at the age of 5 maybe Christopher wasn't really self-aware enough to know that what Hugh was doing, wasn't appropriate.  At the present time, possibly part of Christopher's anger towards Gideon is the repressed feelings, maybe even guilt, of holding this secret in for all these years and knowing that Gideon spoke up and he never could.  

I believe both Gideon and Christopher were abused, and if I remember correctly Gideon had mentioned that Christopher use to act out (while Elizabeth was pregnant with Ireland) because Gideon was getting all of the attention which was due to his father's suicide. It mentioned briefly that Hugh had pictures of long haired brunette women in magazines that he had Gideon look at during the abuse, I think this is why Gideon had relationships with women who look like Corrine except for Anne of course.

I agree with the last two comments that both children were abused - the only thing is whether or not either of them witnessed the other being abused - yes Christopher would be too young to realise this was wrong, but surely Gideon, knowing what was happening to himself was abuse, would have known what was happening to Christopher was unacceptable?  I guess it is possible this is one of the secrets he has not passed on to Eva so we have not yet become aware. 

In RIY towards the end of the book  (Ch 17) when Eva confronts Gideons mother at that private club with the big band. Elizabeth says "I'm Christopher's mother, too, and he was there. He swears nothing happened. Who was I supposed to believe with no proof." 

That means Christopher Jr knows what Gideon says happened and either lied to parents, really didn't know, or was scared to say anything. 

I'm re-reading all the books one chapter a day, worked out when to start reading so that I read the last chapter of Captivated on 4 April (so today I'm on chapter 18 of Bared to You) so my mind is more stuck on the early part of the story.

I've just reached the scene in Gideon's car on the morning after the garden party, where Eva receives the video of Magdalene and Christopher.  Her thoughts certainly make me err on the side that Christopher is devious, not to be trusted and that there is more to it than the straightforward envy of Gideon he spoke to Eva about further in the story.

"That he was taking advantage of her was obvious.  It was there in the contemptuously triumphant look on his face as he screwed her . ."

"I didn't recognise the Christopher on the screen.  His face, his posture, his voice . . . it was like he was a different man."

There really has to be a full revelation of what happened in their childhood, it's a serious situation between the brothers which can't be dismissed in a short paragraph such as the bracelet.

I agree I don't think it can be a short paragraph or chapter about their childhood.  D500 you have a lot of control to read one chapter a day I certainly can not do that haha I have to read until I can't see anymore. I just reread the chapter when Gideon arrives at his club to see Eva in BTY because of the tweet about the stoli and cranberry.