**Captivated**chapter discussion (spoiler alert)

jmhope

Arash probably has some understanding that Christopher Jr and Gideon do not get along. Since Chris Jr and Gid do business together, I'm sure Arash has probably had to work with them both. I'm not sure about Elizabeth. I feel like the tension with Gideon and Elizabeth is palpable through the pages so everyone should see it but it's probably bc we are in there heads. (Some people seem to still have no clue like Corrine *insert eye roll*)

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Part I liked about Chapter 4: Dr. Travis. He nailed it about some of the confusion Eva has about Gideon. The part of her that still has self esteem issues feels she's not worthy of him. The healthy independent part of her worries she might secretly be the opposite, has a tendency to be dependent on rich men like her mother. So her Mommy issues are a factor. Also, the good doctor nailed it with Brett. The part of Eva with self esteem issues sometimes feels she doesn't deserve respect, and so for a time she put up with being used by Brett. No wonder she's confused that now Brett is acting the way she wished he would have years ago when she hit rock bottom with men who didn't respect her. She wanted love and all she got was sex.

I also liked the part with Dr.Travis, and I hope that her confused feelings concerning Brett is over. I wish he would move to NY too, lol, both Eva and Cary could use more therapy, and he obviously knows them very well.

My dislike is Carys response to the marriage, and I wish he would be a bit more supportive. I know he doesn't know the whole story, but still... How about a supporting your best friend, he dissapointed me with his reaction.

I am glad that Dr. Travis pointed out all Eva's issues with her self esteem. She really didin't feel like she deserved someone great like Gideon who loved and worshipped her, but instead felt like she deserved to be treated like sh*t by Brett and all the others. Bravo Dr. Travis.

Loved the texting between Eva and Gideon. Wasn't too happy with Cary's reaction about the marriage. He could have been a little more supportive. He stated that he was having a kid and not getting married because he was fu**ed up, but in reality he doesn't love Tatiana so that is the best reason not to get married; kid or no kid.

Glad also that Victor is coming to terms with Gideon's wealth and his love for his daughter.

Chapter 5:

What's not to love about that chapter?? :)

Loved how Gideon nailed Yimara. Arash comment to Gideon" always a pleasure watching you scare the h**l out of someone" is priceless. I have no trouble imagining that lol.

Arash and Gideons friendship really comes to show in this chapter, and I love it. It seems to me that they are able to distinguishing between being good friends when they are "off duty" and professional in a work context. They have a friendly humerous ambience, and for each time I read the book, I 'm liking Arash even more.

When he thinks of Eva and his love for her "the one woman who could silence the memories in my head and set me free", my knees weakens â¤ï¸

I wish Gideon will stop torturing himself with images of Brett and Eva, and I'm glad he reminded himself of the promise he made by not watching the s*xtape.

I would LOVE to have a glimpse of him working out in that hotelroom, nice and sweaty doing all of his push-ups.....

This is probably one the best chapters out the book. You hit the nail head Ann Cathrin. I share the exact same sentiments. 

I was surprised Eva wasn't more upset about Gideon showing up in California but no one can stay mad at a sweaty Gideon :)

I was surprised Eva wasn't more upset about Gideon showing up in California but no one can stay mad at a sweaty Gideon :)

The thought crossed my mind xoxolaurenashley, but I guess since she has been missing him so much..,and perhaps some other desires is overshadowing the anger! ;)

The thought crossed my mind xoxolaurenashley, but I guess since she has been missing him so much..,and perhaps some other desires is overshadowing the anger! ;)

She's also more or less over Brett (I think finally over him occurs when she hears Gideon sing during the karaoke session and learns that Brett's singing voice had been a major turn on for her but now she knows Gideon can sing in a voice that turns her on, plus the man himself is her greatest turn on Brett is not as much of interest - then the final scene with him where she learns he has allowed others to see the sex tape). So I suspect that makes her less annoyed at Gideon following her - and of course Arash confirms that they had genuine business being where they are.

The part I loved best in Chapter 5 was Arash finally meeting Eva. He's the first friend unabashedly pro-Gideva as a couple. A breath of fresh air considering Arnoldo's reaction to the "engagement" and Cary's reaction to the truth they got married. This Arash joke made me laugh out loud, when he told Gideon "Your back looks like you got into a brawl with a mountain lion."

There was something very subtle at the very end of Chapter 5 that makes me think Gideon never told Arash about Nathan's killing, that he used other lawyers to deal with the police. When Arash joked "What have you got to hide" and Gideon joked back "Your corpse." I can't see Gideon joking with his friend about that if poor Arash knew he had to worry about homicide detectives. It makes sense, too, that Gideon would quietly hire criminal defense lawyers. Arash's specialty is in civil law: contracts, finance and such.

She's also more or less over Brett (I think finally over him occurs when she hears Gideon sing during the karaoke session and learns that Brett's singing voice had been a major turn on for her but now she knows Gideon can sing in a voice that turns her on, plus the man himself is her greatest turn on Brett is not as much of interest - then the final scene with him where she learns he has allowed others to see the sex tape). So I suspect that makes her less annoyed at Gideon following her - and of course Arash confirms that they had genuine business being where they are.

Good point

There was something very subtle at the very end of Chapter 5 that makes me think Gideon never told Arash about Nathan's killing, that he used other lawyers to deal with the police. When Arash joked "What have you got to hide" and Gideon joked back "Your corpse." I can't see Gideon joking with his friend about that if poor Arash knew he had to worry about homicide detectives. It makes sense, too, that Gideon would quietly hire criminal defense lawyers. Arash's specialty is in civil law: contracts, finance and such.

Never thought about that, but that is quite possible.

Loved chapter 5 also especailly when he gave it to Sam Y. Pointing out that the video will never come out, that he owned the bar and of course the band.; but especailly when the offer went down. "I thought the offers for 1 million, it was but you declined it. Not too happy when Sam said that Brett was cool with the video "we've worked things out" Still loved the line by Arash "always a pleasure watching you scare the h**l out of someone". Hope Gideon keeps his promise NOT to look at the flash drive; it would definitely drive a wedge in their relationship.

Adored the texting between G and E about accepting each other's offer to be "friends" and when G LOL it surprised Arash. Apparently G doesn't laugh too much :( Didn't quite understand the text "I'm keeping my half of our deal" not sure who was writing, but think it was Eva cause the next text was "so am I, angel mine. Surprised that it took Gideon a moment to realize that the blonde with Brett wasn't Eva, but glad he did before he made a scene. Took me back when the "girls" came on to him and the way he would have reacted to them in the past; he was for a lack of a better very aggressive? Would have loved to have had his POV in BTY when Eva keep turning him down. Glad that Eva arrived in time to see Brett and the blonde together and made her realize that Brett was pathetic and not worth her trouble and then shook his hand with her left hand with Gideon's ring on her finger!!

Wow Gideon doing 100 push-ups and still able to "ravish" Eva all night long!!!! Glad she wasn't too upset with G being in SD and when he called Arash in the middle of the night to prove he was working.

Wrote too much already, but I really enjoyed this chapter immensely!!

RE Gideon promising not to watch the sex tape - I wonder if he will ever tell Eva exactly what he got up to with Anne Lucas (or any of the others he did non-vanilla with) - he really shouldn't watch what she got up to with Brett and she really does not need to know how he acted with others - he should talk to Dr Peterson about it though to 'get it off his chest'. The only problem is that I think Christopher has watched the tape and it would be difficult for Gideon to know that Christopher has seen Eva in action without himself knowing what it was about.

RE Gideon promising not to watch the sex tape - I wonder if he will ever tell Eva exactly what he got up to with Anne Lucas (or any of the others he did non-vanilla with) - he really shouldn't watch what she got up to with Brett and she really does not need to know how he acted with others - he should talk to Dr Peterson about it though to 'get it off his chest'. The only problem is that I think Christopher has watched the tape and it would be difficult for Gideon to know that Christopher has seen Eva in action without himself knowing what it was about.

That is a problem. Thinking in OWY Christopher will try to "come on" to Eva by trying to force himself on her thinking that if she was that way with Brett then she probably is with everyone and he would "want some of that". but then her Krav Maga will have to come out!!

The only problem is that I think Christopher has watched the tape and it would be difficult for Gideon to know that Christopher has seen Eva in action without himself knowing what it was about.

Yes, if anything is going to urge him to see the s*xtape, I think it is the thought of Chris Jr watching it. I believe Chris Jr has seen it many times, and he's such an idiot that he probably going to rub it in G's face.... I hope that Gideons cherish his promise to Eva

That is a problem. Thinking in OWY Christopher will try to "come on" to Eva by trying to force himself on her thinking that if she was that way with Brett then she probably is with everyone and he would "want some of that". but then her Krav Maga will have to come out!!

Oh I wish, I know where I would like to kick him.....

Great point. I don't think Gideon used Arash either. When Gideon said that I was shocked. 

I think Christopher has watched the tape and it would be difficult for Gideon to know that Christopher has seen Eva in action without himself knowing what it was about.

The irony is Christopher has no clue Gideon has a sex tape of him using Magdalene. For her own protection, Gideon showed her that tape. She now knows the type of guy Christopher is, and by the end of EWY she apparently is not having anymore more to do with him. She's got a boyfriend of her own now and she's become a friend to Gideva. How's this for a revenge fantasy: Christopher tells Elizabeth a sex tape exists of Eva. Elizabeth turns nasty and somehow it gets back to Magdalene (her mother is Elizabeth's best friend and Magdalene does go to Vidal family get-togethers.) Magdalene tells off Christopher and tells his mother what a jerk he is.

How's this for a revenge fantasy: Christopher tells Elizabeth a sex tape exists of Eva. Elizabeth turns nasty and somehow it gets back to Magdalene (her mother is Elizabeth's best friend and Magdalene does go to Vidal family get-togethers.) Magdalene tells off Christopher and tells his mother what a jerk he is.

The question is; will Elizabeth in that case believe what Magdalene tells her.... There is a chance that se won't believe anything negativity that concerns her familiy. She will believe that there is a tape with Eva (and perhaps use that for her own benefit), but I think that Chris Jr is her pride and glory.

Great point. I don't think Gideon used Arash either. When Gideon said that I was shocked. 

I disagree.  I think Gideon is playing it like he is being accused of something he didn't do.  He would never admit what he did to anyone except Eva and Angus (now we know Clancy knows).  When you are as wealthy as Gideon you have a team of lawyers to protect all your interests.  Junior lawyers might not be aware of all the legal issues but someone in Arash's position has to know about every case especially if the police are questioning him about murder.  Even if they weren't good friends, Arash would have to know any potential legal problems to protect Gideon from competitors and blackmail attempts.

Chapter 6;

The chapter starts so beautifully with Eva surrounded by her favorite men. A flawlessly moment they all deserved to have. I liked that G is humble with Victor and acts so respectful.

I love the comment " whoever said Mondays s*cked had obviously never woken up yo a naked Gideon Cross", classic!

Poor Megumi :( I really feel for her. She must have been through he*l and back the last week. Not even been able to reach out for Evas hand. I'm happy she's back and I hope she'll get better soon, and hopefully she's not too traumatised.

I get frustrated when Gideva argue over inconsiderable details, like that "to disturb or not disturb" phonecall, they've got bigger issues to worry about.

I know someone mentioned this before, but can not remember what the feedback was...

Why didn't Cross Industries appear when Eva did that research on PhazeOne/LanCorp?

If they've been rivals throughout the years, don't you think that there would be any links to be found? I know she propably didn't use the gossip magazines in her research, but still??

Anyone who would like to make a comment on that?

I enjoyed chapter 6 also:

Loved the lunch with the 3 of them and that Gideon held her hand during the meal!!! When he said that all he wanted was to keep Eva happy and a smile on her face, it made me melt!! Gideon has a way with words.

Yes, waking up to a naked Gideon Cross would be so nice.

He should have at least told Eva, that he is never unavailable to her, but also Eva shouldn't have hung up on him; Scott should have said that G was in a meeting and would give him the message pronto, but with instructions to put Eva through always, he is caught between a rock and a hard place. Both G and E's communication skills need to improve.

Megumi went through a lot :( Loved it when G introduced himself to her and then proceeded to kiss Eva goodbye in front of anybody looking!!

With the research in the RFP for PhazeOne in a later chapter Eva does make a comment about CI doing something similar to Lancorp.

What I disliked about Chapter 7: Before I go criticizing Gideon about his under-reaction to Megumi getting raped and how badly what happened to her friend triggered Eva, first let me say that 1. Gideon still is wrapped in his self-protective shell as a victim himself and 2. he still sometimes does not understand women. Eva in his life is changing him for the better, but he's still got work ahead of him.

That said, Gideon telling Eva that Megumi's situation " ... isn't like yours" made me go AGGH!!!! Because in some very important ways, what Megumi's boyfriend did was very much like what Nathan had done, which was  1. rendered his victim physically helpless through use of force 2. took sadistic pleasure in the victim's physical pain 3. took pictures 4. mentally terrorized his victim post-rape and 5. stalked her 6. is displaying signs of being mentally dangerous. Yes, there are some big differences between that and Eva's situation: she was a child and had been assaulted on multiple occasions, whereas Megumi was a woman and raped one night. It still was violent rape, and even one time is one time too many.

One thing to take Gideon to task for in Chapter 7 is his telling Corrine, "You and I will never be together again, Corrine. I don't know how many times or in how many ways I can say it." The way for Gideon to start having his words match is actions by STOP letting her manipulate him into action. The bad pattern started in BTY when he dropped everything to take Corrine's in-crisis phone call from France. Early in EWY Eva found out from Gideon and Maggie both he'd basically told Corrine no more in-person contact. Yeah, right. Except going down to the Crossfire lobby to see her, going to her apartment to see her, rushing to the hospital, now privately meeting with her in his office ... this from the guy who criticized Megumi for dumping her boyfriend then taking him back. "He might not realize she's serious this time." As Eva likes to say, "Ya think." It's another example of how Gideon still has a learning curve when it comes to women. He'll get there, eventually.

I need to re-read each chapter on the day to join in the discussion. Not quite caught up yet.

Is Sylvia deliberately making us 'dislike' Eva a little?

Lots of the Amazon reviewers are seeing Gideon as turning very weak and needy in this book, but that is to be expected. From the age of 5 he's been made to feel rejected; his dad left him by committing suicide, he felt alienated from his mum and step father when his complaints about abuse were disbelieved (okay we now know Chris Snr knew nothing but Gideon has always thought he did); I wonder if Gideon's nightmares started after his dad died - were the feelings of anger, and possibly nightmares, happening from the age of 5 with them becoming worse when he was 11? Could he, during nightmares, have turned on Christopher - bearing in mind he probably never remembered his nightmares Christopher's resentment of Gideon could have started with that. Gideon may well not recall from that time, I feel he did not lie to Eva when he said he didn't know what his nightmare's contained when she first asked him, possibly only recalling the ones he outlined in CBY.

He's relating well to Ireland as he has no reason not to, the only reason for their distance was the difference in age and his leaving home as early as he could. So it has been pretty easy for him to slip into a good relationship with her. Sylvia has told us that Gideon's star sign is Virgo which means he was born between 23 August and 22 September. I'm not sure where we are in the calendar other than that we are somewhere in Aug/Sept as Mark's notice takes him to work for Gideon in October - no idea what notice periods the US have, my own in the UK was once 4 weeks notice (but became 3 months), so assuming it is 4 weeks then we will probably experience Gideon's birthday in the early part of One With You. I know there's nothing in the book about birthdays, so perhaps Gideon has not told Eva when his is as up to now he's probably not bothered about birthdays. So assuming nothing has been said to Eva I wonder if it will be Ireland who tells Eva and a birthday party is organised (possibly a day for Eva to actually return to Gideon meaning they become a team and together beat off all their enemies??

(Sorry, not a lot there about the chapter)