**Captivated**chapter discussion (spoiler alert)

jmhope

Chapter 11

Shame that Brett thinks that Eva is "blinded by G's billions and hiding the wedding" they are not really hiding it, but waiting to get married for the public and family to attend. He mustn't think too highly of her if he thinks she is in it only for the $$$, and that the marriage won't last.

Pity that Chris jr had a copy (that was wiped) on his work computer. We know CVJr has watched it, probably several times :(

Evening with Ireland is priceless. Book probably set in 2011/2012, because Channing Tatem was People's SMA about 2 years ago. I liked it when Ireland said "if you want happily ever after, she's sleeping down the hall".

How would women know if condoms were in the nightstand drawer, if he only went to the hotel and had one night stands? Still want to know what type of BC Eva uses, we don't really get any hints of what type, but apparently it has been effective, since he does take her 3-4 times daily.

Gideon really does need to start sharing with Eva even the bad parts that might distress her. Eva is right about pushing bad things inside in a place where he doesn't have to deal with it.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Finally got the time to dive back into the Gideon universe ;) I hope you all have had a wonderful holiday.

Chapter 11.

I'm so happy that Ireland is in his life, Gideon needs some healthy female relations, and Ireland has got such a positive influence on him. He is still a bit clumsy in his interactions with her, but I find it very charming. He really wants to be a good and protective big brother.

Gideons fear of losing his family again, is a tough read. He knows what he has got with Eva, and he is clinging on to it.

If Eva had meant so much to Kline as he claims, and the time they have had, he would never have considered publishing any part of that tape. I believe that he would, like G, have protected every private minute. As a celebrity private pictures and moments must be even more valuable, you keep them from the public, not handing it to them?!?! Brett Kline should have stopped Sam Yimara himself.

I agree with jmhope, Kline doesn't think highly of Eva, who he supposedly loves, when he thinks that she is blinded by Gideons money, further I think that Kline is the one feeling threatened by the "billions".

It makes me sick that Chris Jr had a copy of that tape. He's so vindictive, and I'm afraid that he has no boundaries for getting back at Gideon, and I'm looking forward getting to know why in OWY. (Only wish that G is innocent in whatever accusation Chris Jr might have).

The tensity between Elizabeth and Gideon is palpable when Gideon had driven Ireland home.

Eva easily gets mad at Gideon, though not the worst reaction in the car. It is wonderful that she is fighting every battle for him and wants to share his pain, but he is doing the same thing for her, and when he does she often get grumpy and reacts a bit immature... Still she has a point when she said that whatever Elizabeth says, it does effect Gideon, even if he doesn't want it to.

Daring to make a comment on chapter 12 ;)

The drawback in this chapter is Brett Kline. The fact that he believed that Eva in someway needed or even wanted to see that tape, shows how how little he really knows her. He can not know about the abuse (If he does knows something about that, he certainly is an idiot)

Really liked that Megumi is finding her way back!

Eva makes a good observation of Gideon when she points out that G lets his instincs take over when he finds himself in situations he has little experience in. I believe that it is quite naturally response. All humans has a flight-fight-freeze response when we find ourselves in very difficult situations, and we act on our instincs (we fight-we freeze or we hide/ flight).

Eva realizing her position in the PhaseOne campaign, hope that she will become less stubborn in OWY (or perhaps the correct word is more mature). She should have informed Gideon about that campaign at that point.

Favorite part in the chapter is of course when Gideon is standing by ready to rescue Eva at the park!

I really enjoyed Chapter 12.

The shower scene and talk were really romantic.

You would think it would make a difference with LanCorp when someone working on their account is engaged to their chief rival. Alarms should have sounding for both Eva and Mark.

Glad Eva finally realized that she should have closed the door on Brett a long time ago. She should have never invited him up to the apartment in EWY and just said good bye to him in the limo. Can't believe that Brett expected a kiss/hug when they met for lunch. Eva had to tell him that she is MARRIED twice. Why bring up Gideon's past.? It is what it is the PAST. If Brett missed Eva so much why wait 4 years, and to say the other girl reminds him of Eva is just really LAME!! Brett showing the video to others was really low and to think that he thought that Eva wouldn't mind; it was probably his way of bragging.

Arash is still my favorite new character, he is such a hoot. Gideon being there at lunch to make sure Eva was fine was super. What a man, then they made the date that night for Eva to have her way with him....what a lucky girl.!!!

I really enjoyed Chapter 12.The shower scene and talk were really romantic.You would think it would make a difference with LanCorp when someone working on their account is engaged to their chief rival. Alarms should have sounding for both Eva and Mark.Glad Eva finally realized that she should have closed the door on Brett a long time ago. She should have never invited him up to the apartment in EWY and just said good bye to him in the limo. Can't believe that Brett expected a kiss/hug when they met for lunch. Eva had to tell him that she is MARRIED twice. Why bring up Gideon's past.? It is what it is the PAST. If Brett missed Eva so much why wait 4 years, and to say the other girl reminds him of Eva is just really LAME!! Brett showing the video to others was really low and to think that he thought that Eva wouldn't mind; it was probably his way of bragging.Arash is still my favorite new character, he is such a hoot. Gideon being there at lunch to make sure Eva was fine was super. What a man, then they made the date that night for Eva to have her way with him....what a lucky girl.!!!

Yes,agreed. The shower scene was a beautiful, tender moment before the volatility of the coming chapters. The calm before the storm.

Chapter 13

Chris Sr saying "you're a good man, one of the best. I should have told you more often" was nice to hear.

At least now we know that it was Anne Lucas at the last event they went to at the end of EWY. Really sick to try to have sex with Cary, but he does that a lot remember BTY?

The scene bewteen Anne L and G was not nice to witness. I would hate to have her as a therapist. I wonder what "it is about time to pay and your billions won't cover the debt"; and the cost to her....the career and marriage.?

It is good that Dr. P is really trying to help Gideon even if he really doesn't want it.

Back at the penthouse and the scene with Chris Sr is heartbreaking. Glad to hear that he decked Terry Lucas and Chris saying "that you are not alone"; but unfortunately Gideon didn't take it well and lost it.

Chapter 13

What a day in poor Gideons life, almost every ghost of his appears in one day..it would have been too much to handle for the most of us.

I agree with you jmhope, it was a real nice reply of Chris Sr that he should have said more often how a great man G is.

Evas capabilities to soothe Gideon is wonderful too.

What is left to say about Anne Lucas... LOVE that Gideon doesn't feel threatened by her, and just go barging in at her office. "Break the toys, then throw them away" she said. Is that because she has observed G way with women? Or has she been talking with them (like Corinne)? He hardly told her himself... By challenging her, he clearly turns her on, and perhaps that is how their relationship was. The fact that she is convinced that she could have him again, and calls him lover, makes me sick. I truly believe that she is decoying him, by showing herself to Eva.

The part when she wants him to pay... Pay for what? Him leaving her? Or... What If Anne knew about the accusations agains her brother? What If Anne and Hugh were close and he told her what G had claimed? He certainly could have denied it to Anne and held on to his innocence, but Anne could believe that the accusations drove Hugh to suicide. What if Anne wanted to take revenge the same way Gideon wanted?? It must have frustrated her BIGtime that he seemed just as laidback no matter what she threw at him. Hope that both she and her career flushes down the drain.

Dr. P, what a therapist! I'm glad that G at the end understands that Dr P is an investment, instead of a waste of time. When Dr. P takes G for a walk, rather than standard "face2face" talk was a great tactic. Walking beside him makes him less intimidating and perhaps less dominating to Gideon, and I believe that that is one of the things G struggles with the most. Majority of us are more comfortably with strangers beside us than in front or behind us. Further on he is great with building confidence with his defensive patient. :)

I haven't been too crazy about Chris Sr, but now I'm becoming quite fond of him. He has confronted (and left!) his wife and smashed Dr. Lucas, and still tries to look G in the eyes telling him how sorry he is, the love he has for him, and that he will never expect Gideons forgiveness.... It takes a great man to do that. When Gideon breaks apart at the end of the chapter it brought tears to my eyes.

Yes i believe it does using Fifty Shades of Gray as my reference...LOL

I thought the same (again with 50 shades as reference), I felt that Gideon had pretty much 'lost it' when using Anne as he said he had been more depraved with her than with the other women (and I wonder how depraved he had been with them as he seemed to have gained a reputation for being dark - although that could just have been Anne giving Deanna that information prior to Gideon using Deanna to deflect Anne). I'm also assuming Anne was happy with having this done to her, and possibly encouraged him - she may even have introduced him to using a flogger and sex toys, hopefully not long till we learn more. He has said he doesn't need those things with Eva, bits of me hopes he didn't need them with the majority of the women he went with.

He does appear to have anger management issues, with Hugh teaching him to use sex (m****tur***tion in the first instance) to alleviate, and presumably Angus then got him into MMA to disperse the anger. From what Angus said in one of the other books Gideon 'knew when to stop' but when it came to the events leading up to the elevator scene, too many things hit Gideon at once and he pretty much lost the plot completely, and I don't blame him, he could obviously cope with holding back over one or two scenarios which made him angry, but finally to discover Chris Senior had no idea Gideon had been abused, and if only G had gone to Chris Snr instead of to Elizabeth, life for Gideon might have been so much nicer, enough to send anyone off the rails. On my first read I felt G was being churlish towards Chris senior in that scene - the man was after all virtually apologising for not knowing and had taken steps to do something about it, but my second read remembering the other events of the day made it a little clearer.

Chapter 14

Was a reminder of the horrible limo drive to NC in RIY. Didn't understand why he wanted to punish Eva. He blames her by saying "you did this!! You brought this on. Pushing people...pushing me. Look what you've done"

Gideon did try to explain "you need to let me settle and you need to mellow out. We go at it like this, we'll tear each other apart".

Don't really understand why Eva needs him in control, and why Gideon needs to be in control when he is with her. Guessing that he didn't have control in his abuse years, so he demands it now.

Really love Angus. Glad Chris Sr called to check on Gideon. Happy that they are buying the Outer Banks house. Learned the significance of the pen on the cover. Glad that Eva finally took a day off from work to take care of Gideon and their relationship. She has never taken a full day off even when her Dad has visited, only when Cary was in the hospital the first night back or that Monday.

Overall a very INTENSE chapter.

Chapter 14:

Heavy reading. I pictured it so well, that I almost felt that I was right there witnessing it (Sylvia with her magical pen). I can easily feel the pain, desperation and the intensity in their relationship.

First of all, Chris Sr (again), it is amazing how he's now stepping up. Calling Eva, doing what he can. He is not the one to blame for not being there earlier. I wish that he and Gideon can have a good relationship in the future, and maybe Chris Sr still can be a father figure for G (and a grandparent when that time comes).

Eva hit a nerve at Gideon when she confirmed how hard it is when someone believe your story. He needed to hear it, but maybe not capable to handle it. It must have been so difficult for him to feel so chaotic, so out of control, and being so afraid of himself. A part of him probably doesn't want to handle it with s*x, but doesn't know any other way. It must been hard for him admitting that he felt shattered. At the end the experience had to be good. After all he managed to gain control with Eva. He now knows that he can cope with the situation, and Eva can help him if he'll let her. As Eva thought, he can not kick her out of the appartment when it is their home.

I loved the ending scene the next morning, when she realized his eternal and devoted love for her, and that he had been with her all night. Taking the day off did them both good, they needed their healing time.

I'm glad that she acknowleged what her mother had done for her after Nathan, and maybe she can tell her that one day.

Finally I liked the pen and it's symbolism, and Angus .. He is just simply the best!!

I need to re-read (not quite caught up), but hope I'm remembering this properly - after speaking to Chris Snr Gideon broke down. He was drinking (can't remember if he was drunk but Eva had realised he had been drinking and up to this point in the books he only seemed to have occasional drinks). He was angry and had said to Eva that his unexplainable reaction to her original conversation with Chris Snr was to be incredibly turned on. Hugh had possibly conditioned Gideon to use sex to alleviate his anger. I thought in what Gideon said to Eva during the earlier part of the elevator scene that he was wary of his actions towards her while in this state - I guess he would have been a bit like this when with Anne and her description of what he did to her was fuelled by anger - so he's probably scared of getting that carried away with Eva.

I suspect the 'you brought this on' was because everything had led him to lose his usual control over himself and the anger had come to the fore rather than be buried inside in the way he does.

In turn Eva is angry with him - he ties her up and seemingly walks away leaving her worried she is going to be exposed to other residents, until she realises it is a private lift and can't go anywhere. She was also expecting Gideon to turn up at her apartment for some s*xy time and had chosen a s*xy outfit - I thought at first she taunted him with the outfit when she removed the coat which was when he tied her to the elevator rail and disappeared. Now I wonder did she show him what she was wearing as she knew it would make him not want to wait to have her - and in doing that was she showing him that she trusted him, even when he was in the state she found him, to take care of her and not hurt her? One reviewer did mention a rape scene which I presume was about this scene, which I would have probably also thought was the case if the scene had been written from Gideon's POV, but it is from Eva's and all along she seems okay with his actions. Angry s*x when controlled can be exciting, but Gideon was not in control of himself plus during s*x he was used to being the one in control (which seemed to be part of his method in the f*ck pad taming the women he took there).

I do wonder if Sylvia had not intended to take the story down the avenue of bdsm, Gideon's comments to Eva in one of the other books (I think when he gave her the promise ring and she likened it to a collar) were that he did not need any of that with her. But as the story grew I wonder if Sylvia decided to put something in relating to bdsm. There were hints from Gideon as he knew about safe words and hand cuffs and how the person wearing the cuffs should feel, plus he knew about a sex swing (although that all could be learnt from p*rn magazines which most young males would have accessed).

Not sure if any of that makes sense and sorry if I've added anything glaringly obvious, I'm kind of thinking aloud on paper here :)

".Don't really understand why Eva needs him in control, and why Gideon needs to be in control when he is with her. Guessing that he didn't have control in his abuse years, so he demands it now.

Yes I think you are right. I think he needs control with Eva because he knows he can get very rough, and I think he is afraid that by losing control he can physically and mentally hurt her. Gideon is Eva rock, and therefore she needs him in control. She has never experienced him without control, so it might scare her. Gideon mentioned in one of his POVs that when he is calm, Eva is calm too and When he is stressed out, so is she.

I need to re-read (not quite caught up), but hope I'm remembering this properly - after speaking to Chris Snr Gideon broke down. He was drinking (can't remember if he was drunk but Eva had realised he had been drinking and up to this point in the books he only seemed to have occasional drinks). He was angry and had said to Eva that his unexplainable reaction to her original conversation with Chris Snr was to be incredibly turned on. Hugh had possibly conditioned Gideon to use sex to alleviate his anger. I thought in what Gideon said to Eva during the earlier part of the elevator scene that he was wary of his actions towards her while in this state - I guess he would have been a bit like this when with Anne and her description of what he did to her was fuelled by anger - so he's probably scared of getting that carried away with Eva.I suspect the 'you brought this on' was because everything had led him to lose his usual control over himself and the anger had come to the fore rather than be buried inside in the way he does.In turn Eva is angry with him - he ties her up and seemingly walks away leaving her worried she is going to be exposed to other residents, until she realises it is a private lift and can't go anywhere. She was also expecting Gideon to turn up at her apartment for some s*xy time and had chosen a s*xy outfit - I thought at first she taunted him with the outfit when she removed the coat which was when he tied her to the elevator rail and disappeared. Now I wonder did she show him what she was wearing as she knew it would make him not want to wait to have her - and in doing that was she showing him that she trusted him, even when he was in the state she found him, to take care of her and not hurt her? One reviewer did mention a rape scene which I presume was about this scene, which I would have probably also thought was the case if the scene had been written from Gideon's POV, but it is from Eva's and all along she seems okay with his actions. Angry s*x when controlled can be exciting, but Gideon was not in control of himself plus during s*x he was used to being the one in control (which seemed to be part of his method in the f*ck pad taming the women he took there).I do wonder if Sylvia had not intended to take the story down the avenue of bdsm, Gideon's comments to Eva in one of the other books (I think when he gave her the promise ring and she likened it to a collar) were that he did not need any of that with her. But as the story grew I wonder if Sylvia decided to put something in relating to bdsm. There were hints from Gideon as he knew about safe words and hand cuffs and how the person wearing the cuffs should feel, plus he knew about a sex swing (although that all could be learnt from p*rn magazines which most young males would have accessed).Not sure if any of that makes sense and sorry if I've added anything glaringly obvious, I'm kind of thinking aloud on paper here :)

I cant believe that someone read that scene as a rape scene; at no time in that sequence did Eva ever say no or stop as a matter of fact it was exactly the opposite... Eva wanted Gideon desperately to have sex with her...

chapter 15

Gideon being jealous is awesome usually it is Eva. Sad that Gideon thinks that Eva doesn't want him to father her children. Doubt that they really have had that conversation. They need to start COMMUNICATING. Still love it when G refers to E as his wife, when supposedly they are only engaged.

A shame that Cary is "cutting" again and blaming others because he is so stressed.

Gideon still denying that Chris believing him is bothering him and Eva calls him on it is good and G still harping on her working with him is starting to p*ss her off. He should realize that. Gideon hates his feeling of weakness; now that he has Eva I guess he was always cold hearted and ruthless with people.

Clancey confirms that he cleaned up the mess and put a dead suspect to take the blame of the killing of Nathan, pretty much giving G a "get out of jail free card". He said he did it for Eva and I guess he has evidence against G, so if G treats E badly that evidence will appear whether Clancey is dead or alive.

Dissappointed that Gideon is missing his former life before Eva, seems sometimes he misses the simplicity.

Deanna is a b*tch and still wants Gideon, but at least she brought news about Corrine and her tell all book.

Gideon has had a rough couple of days

I find Gideons jealousy a bit amusing. There can't be many men he doesn't find threatening, and it shows how little self-esteem he has (the sexiest man on the planet). In a way the jealousy must be a new, though a good feeling that he perhaps isn't very familiar with :)

Cary is acting immature telling Eva that she's not around anymore. He has a responsibility of reaching out too. A friendship is a two way street AND he also needs to learn to resolve his own problems, and take the consequence of his actions.

In time Gideon will see that opening up is tough, but helpfull, and it is a process learning to lean on others. By communicating some sentences now and then, I think he'll become more confident to talk about it, and it will come more naturally for him.

Clancy has his heart in the right place, and I understand why he is so skeptic to G and G's intention, with his reputation in mind. If only Eva knew how much her husband does for her without her knowing.

No wonder Gideon is struggeling with all the alterations that has happened over the last few weeks. His whole life and his perception of life and the people in it is changing, and it is major things. Of course he'll miss the simplicity of his old life, who wouldn't wish for a break when you're up to your neck in challenges and changes? He is clear on not wanting to go back, and that Gideva was meant to be. I'm happy that he is able to see that there is so much more out there for him than just f**kpads and long days at work.

I choose to believe that Deanna want both Eva and Gideon well. Why else would she warn G about Corinnes "tell-it-all" book? If she wanted revenge she could have helped Corinne instead. She should absolutely show more respect for Gideva and stop flirting with Gideon (but between us, who can blame her lol)

chapter 15Gideon being jealous is awesome usually it is Eva. Sad that Gideon thinks that Eva doesn't want him to father her children. Doubt that they really have had that conversation. They need to start COMMUNICATING. Still love it when G refers to E as his wife, when supposedly they are only engaged.A shame that Cary is "cutting" again and blaming others because he is so stressed.Gideon still denying that Chris believing him is bothering him and Eva calls him on it is good and G still harping on her working with him is starting to p*ss her off. He should realize that. Gideon hates his feeling of weakness; now that he has Eva I guess he was always cold hearted and ruthless with people.Clancey confirms that he cleaned up the mess and put a dead suspect to take the blame of the killing of Nathan, pretty much giving G a "get out of jail free card". He said he did it for Eva and I guess he has evidence against G, so if G treats E badly that evidence will appear whether Clancey is dead or alive.Dissappointed that Gideon is missing his former life before Eva, seems sometimes he misses the simplicity.Deanna is a b*tch and still wants Gideon, but at least she brought news about Corrine and her tell all book.Gideon has had a rough couple of days

Yes jmhope I was disappointed initially when Gideon "missed" his old life too; but I did think it was a little of what Dr. Travis said at the beginning of the book...maybe it was just a longing for something a little less complicated... Although if you think about it alot of the stressors in Gideva's lives currently are due to his baggage from the past namely Ann Lucas, Corinne, Chris Jr, his mother. As Gideon gets deeper into his relationship with Eva he is realizing that he cant exert complete control over her and that it is actually easier to be a global magnate than to be a husband to a passionate, latino bombshell!!LOL

Chapter 16

I agree with Eva, Gideon is more ignoring than processing, or at least he tries to, but I guess it gets harder every day. I hope they go to couples therapy for a long time.

Cary needs a therapist in NY. I wish that he could learn be more independent, learn to trust himself more. It is nice of Eva to offer go be with him when Cary haves his talk with Trey, but it is something that he should be doing alone. Even though he is in his early twenties by age, he isn't emotionally, and someone needs to guide him and tell him what's expected of him. Eva can not be right by his side 24/7 for the rest of their lives.

Looking forward to the day when Gideva can sleep peacefully together forever â¤ï¸

chapter 16

Dr. P seems to know his stuff I suppose; he seems to have a good sense of G and E. Gideon uses sex to quiet Eva and she wants/needs sex to be a connection and to mean something. (one of her sticking points at the beginning in BTY when G first came on to her) Gideon does shove everything that is bothering him away and tries to ignore them.

Eva made a good point that Cary always has someone over and she should have realized that Cary needed her, but she isn't a mind reader. Cary is like calling the kettle black, he can have relationships, but Eva needs to stay home and concentrate on him and not work on finding love herself. It is a shame that Cary can't tell Trey about the baby and Tat by himself, he needs to grow up and "a pair".

A pity that Gideon didn't/couldnt stay with Eva after waking her and making love to her during the night :(

chapter 16Dr. P seems to know his stuff I suppose; he seems to have a good sense of G and E. Gideon uses sex to quiet Eva and she wants/needs sex to be a connection and to mean something. (one of her sticking points at the beginning in BTY when G first came on to her) Gideon does shove everything that is bothering him away and tries to ignore them.Eva made a good point that Cary always has someone over and she should have realized that Cary needed her, but she isn't a mind reader. Cary is like calling the kettle black, he can have relationships, but Eva needs to stay home and concentrate on him and not work on finding love herself. It is a shame that Cary can't tell Trey about the baby and Tat by himself, he needs to grow up and "a pair".A pity that Gideon didn't/couldnt stay with Eva after waking her and making love to her during the night :(

Gideon may be new to relationships but at least he knows to keep his mouth shut where Eva and Cary are concerned...My hope for OWY is that Gideva are sleeping peacefully together in their OWN place with their own decorating style and their friends/families in their own buildings several blocks away LOL. ;). ;)

Quote "jmhope - Gideon uses sex to quiet Eva and she wants/needs sex to be a connection and to mean something"

I re-read the chapter this morning and thought that as Dr Peterson is currently only treating Gideon for his father's death as he has not yet been told about the childhood abuse, Gideon is actually also using sex as a connection.

I wonder if Gideon will talk about his previous sexual encounters during couples therapy, or restrict it to his one to ones with Dr P, part of me hopes it is the latter - if it were me I wouldn't want to know about the depravity.

I sneaked in to the next chapter but haven't yet fully read it. I did notice something I missed the first time round - Gideon did a little more explaining to Eva about Anne. In the lines just after she told Gideon he has an amazing body and a huge c*ck and he finally tells Eva it was different with Anne. He says that she reminds him of Hugh some of which he can explain, some he can't. He says the line between them (Hugh and Anne) blurred in his mind and he did things to her he'd never done with anyone else, things that made him feel sick when he thought about them.

He then says "It was twisted between Anne and me. I twisted her." so presumably he introduced Anne to the flogger etc. I believe we've always thought his previous experiences had been vanilla and in the f*ck pad. Somewhere along the line though he has either seen or experienced a sex swing and he knows the rudiments of dbsm so presumably at some point he has visited a sex club (wonder if he found Christopher there!)?