**Captivated**chapter discussion (spoiler alert)

jmhope

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I loved that we are introduced to Gideons POV. Only made me love him more. 

The worst part was Eva being confused about Brett. And the way she handled telling Gideon. I was so frustrated reading it. 

I loved the car ride to work and we got to meet Arash.

Yes, Arash is my new favorite character!! He seems to be smart and is able to stand up to Gideon. Glad Gideon is selling his f**k pad hotel (even if he loses some money on it). In the end it should make Eva happy that his "pad" doesn't exist anymore.

Bad news with his Mother waiting in reception.

It was nice to learn of some of Gideon's business dealings.

Still not happy with Eva and her so called "feelings" for Brett. If they had so much together, why didn't they try to get in touch with each during the past 4 or 5 years.?

Someone commented on the other CBY forum that it was curious that Elizabeth waited until the next morning to confront Gideon about the ring/engagement instead at the event when she discovered it. I may have to re-read to gather some thoughts on that but I do feel that Elizabeth is imitated by Eva. 

Someone commented on the other CBY forum that it was curious that Elizabeth waited until the next morning to confront Gideon about the ring/engagement instead at the event when she discovered it. I may have to re-read to gather some thoughts on that but I do feel that Elizabeth is imitated by Eva. 

I don't think Elizabeth had time to confront Gideon at the event.  After she talked to Eva, Anne came up and made her comments then Eva, Gideon and Cary left after Eva and Gideon tried to see if Anne was the redhead. 

In Chapter 1, I am still curious about the e-mail that caught Gideon's eye right before Eva showed up...I was upset about the fact that Eva was "confused" about Brett. Loved Gideon's POV

I've wondered that too .my theory is Sam Yimara or Brett about sex tape . Which led to Gideon having a reason to be in San Diego .

Copying my last comment from the old spoilers thread into here:

quoting from Lighthouse post, on 06 Dec 2014 - 1:51 PM, said:

Disliked Gideon throwing Corrine in Eva's face. Even though I understand what triggered it, his insecurity about Brett. What he did is in the same category as how he punished Eva in the limo after catching her kissing Brett. Still, it ###### me off, because I hate Corrine like Eva does.

My response

At first I was on Gideon's side as her telling him about Brett was hurtful so he hit back. However there is a difference in that although neither of them wish to be involved with the other party, Eva is admitting that she still has a feeling of like for Brett, whereas Gideon no longer has that with Corrine.

However, later in the book when the karaoke evening occurs, I kind of interpreted Eva's reaction to hearing Gideon sing was that part of the attraction to Brett had been the voice and now she heard Gideon could sing his voice was replacing Brett's.

There can be an attraction to certain voices, the singer Mark Lanegan has a very deep baritone voice which I find quite sexy, there's a feeling in the pit of my stomach when he sings some songs, the man himself does not attract me at all but the voice itself can stir the emotions.

I have always thought it curious that Brett decided to write Golden at that point. All of a sudden he decides he loves. her? Could it be possible he heard about the connection with G and Vidal records ? What great PR! Any name could be worked into the song. Could it be Brett approached Chris Jr. about it? I never trusted Brett at all. With the Internet you can find almost anyone. If you love someone you don't wait 4 years. Fishy to me.

Copying my post from the other CBY thread:

Lighthouse, on 05 Dec 2014 - 3:14 PM, said:

So, in Chapter 1, anyone interested in talking about Elizabeth showing up unannounced first thing in the workday at Gideon's office instead of having the gumption to approach him the night before, as soon as she saw that ring on Eva's hand and/or right after the argument the two women had? Did Elizabeth wait because she was afraid of causing a scene? Was afraid of Eva? Of Gideon?

--------

I think that she approached him at the office for various of reasons. For once I think yes, she's afraid of making a scene, and further I believe that a part of her want to be able to reach into Gideon, and perhaps she thinks she's got a bigger shot at that in his office, when they're alone. Also I don't think she want G to see the side of her that she've shown Eva...

I get so angry everytime she appears in the books

My knees weakens everytime G says "Crossfire" ... A small word with such a tremendous meaning, so that's got to be one of the parts I liked the most. My least favorite part got to be the when Eva confesses that she's got confused feelings for Brett..

I have one question by the way;

Page 3, when G is sifting through his e-mails, working his way towards, and I quote, "the subject line that had caught my eye the moment my e-mail opened"

Did we found out what that mail was all about? I got so curious...

In Chapter 2:

Eva asking Gideon if the Crossfire had personal info on all employess. Ironically Gideon said he couldn't/shouldn't give that info out to her; since that is probably how he found some of the info about her. Like where she lived and with whom. But said that Raul could locate Megumi for her.

Found out that Monica didn't find out about the engagement until reading it in the press release. So Eva didn't tell her while they were discussing the fact that Gideon had asked permission from Stanton and Victor.

Like how she had said "have a wonderful day and I love you madly. Don't worry, I don't expect you to reply while your lawyer is there with you !!"

Eva should have guessed right away from the beginning that Gideon wanted Mark G. to do the RFP for the vodka account to get to see Eva. Wonder what other speculations she is worried about. Too bad we are not having a Gideva babybump watch, but it would be ineresting to find out what kind of birth control she uses.....it has done a dandy job so far!!! a period every month!

Getting info about anyone is no biggie for a PI.  Gideon didn't  need to use Crossfire info.  Eva should have known that.

If that ring was as big as I envision, Monica would have had to be blind not to see it.  For God sake, what else could it have been? Should Eva have called her?  Sure, but there was drama and she didn't get around to it.  Lizzie figured it out.  Geez.

Love Arash.  

And I totally agree with you about Mark.  Again, he is a lower level guy.  Gideon is a big deal and could request anyone.  That agency would have loved to have his business under any circumstance.  

As I always say, I constantly forget Eva is only 24.  I knew nothing when I was 24 so she is way ahead of me.  LOL

In Chapter 2:Eva asking Gideon if the Crossfire had personal info on all employess. Ironically Gideon said he couldn't/shouldn't give that info out to her; since that is probably how he found some of the info about her. Like where she lived and with whom. But said that Raul could locate Megumi for her.

Too bad we are not having a Gideva babybump watch, but it would be ineresting to find out what kind of birth control she uses.....it has done a dandy job so far!!! a period every month!

We don't know were G got the information about E, it could as easily been Raul who's been doing his investigations.

Loved your comment on the birth control :D

I liked the part when Gideon wants Eva to take Raul or Angus with her to look for Megumi. He is so protective of her, and he always puts safety first, but I guess that a man in his position got be.

I think it's sad when Eva thought that G never will see her as an equal in their marriage, and that it's based on G finances. I think that it's more correct that Eva don't feel that they are financially equal, rather than blamingGideon for it. I can't think of a single time he has used that against her (and she thought the same for herself too), instead I remember that I was impressend by the "contract" he presented to her when they got married.... She gets ALOT!!

I loved Eva's concern for Megumi. Eva is a loyal friend. 

I didn't like that Monica wasn't told about the engagement like Victor was. That's such a big moment and that is still her mother. I understand a lot happened that night and and all but I didn't like it (I'm very close with my mother which is prob where my feelings come from). I do agree that Monica should've seen the ring the night before. And Gideon was wearing a ring too. 

We don't know were G got the information about E, it could as easily been Raul who's been doing his investigations.

Loved your comment on the birth control :D

I liked the part when Gideon wants Eva to take Raul or Angus with her to look for Megumi. He is so protective of her, and he always puts safety first, but I guess that a man in his position got be.

I think it's sad when Eva thought that G never will see her as an equal in their marriage, and that it's based on G finances. I think that it's more correct that Eva don't feel that they are financially equal, rather than blamingGideon for it. I can't think of a single time he has used that against her (and she thought the same for herself too), instead I remember that I was impressend by the "contract" he presented to her when they got married.... She gets ALOT!!

Eva's been married like 2 weeks tops and she is already a rich woman!!! Remember she gets paid for going to couples therapy lol!!

I loved Eva's concern for Megumi. Eva is a loyal friend. 

I didn't like that Monica wasn't told about the engagement like Victor was. That's such a big moment and that is still her mother. I understand a lot happened that night and and all but I didn't like it (I'm very close with my mother which is prob where my feelings come from). I do agree that Monica should've seen the ring the night before. And Gideon was wearing a ring too.

I agree with you xoxo Eva should have been more considerate of Monica... I know she is obsessive but she loves Eva ...Its funny after the night in the elevator how Eva comes to the realization that her mother was there for her unlike Gideon's mom...

Hi Everyone; I'm a little behind so here goes:

Chapter One***Even though this is one of my least favorite chapters in the book my most favorite part of it is of course the introduction of the new character Arash Madani... I think I may have said this before he is a breath of fresh air. :). :)) His interactions with Gideon definitely make me smile!

Of course like everyone else on the forum my least favorite part was Eva telling Gideon she was confused about Brett and Gideon striking back at Eva with the Corinne comment. I really thought that was a low blow on Gideon's part when Eva was just trying to be honest. Even though I did not like Gideon in that moment I loved him the moment before when Eva said she was broken and when she saw a crack she needed to fix it and Gideon thought to himself that he loved her just the way she was...Thats the Gideon we all love!

Chapter Two***My favorite part of this chapter was the use of the name Gideva when referring to Gideon and Eva .. We had been using this term on the forum for over a year and when it showed up in Sylvia's new book we were thrilled. :). ;)

I dont really have a least favorite part but I do agree with everyone else that it seems information gathering is only ok for Gideon and not for anyone else!!! Gideon probably had Eva's information before she even reached her gym that day they met at the Crossfire lol!!!

Chapter 2 is so short, only six pages. 

I liked that for the first time in weeks, the celebrity gossip sites are saying positive things about the Gideva relationship. Though the baby bump comment was snarky. I think back to when they first started dating and Gideon made sure the media found out he had a significant other, Eva. Within days the tabloids started twisting things, like speculating Eva was juggling Cary and Gideon. Far worse, the publicity led to Nathan crawling out of the woodwork. I also I liked how Eva thought of her father, wanting to talk to him before he heard about the engagement elsewhere. I'm not sorry Monica did not get to hear from Eva first. That was karmic payback, because until Eva made her quit doing so, she'd been stalking her own daughter.

Raul has become an interesting character. I now get the impression he is the chief person who really has been in charge of Eva's safety. The first time he came up as a character was the day after Nathan's killings when Gideon sent him to drive Eva to the airport. Poor guy, I can only imagine him having to tell Gideon on a day when the man surely was a wreck that Eva refused the ride and asked him to tell his boss to go F himself.

I have mixed feelings about Monica. Her redeeming qualities are she loves Eva with all her heart and when she had to decide between ending the unplanned pregnancy or getting financially shut off from her family she chose her baby. Also she believed Eva when she found out about the abuse, which is more than can be said for Gideon's mother. When Monica found out she left a financially secure situation, her marriage to a rich man, because she chose her child over social and financially security.

However she is a gold-digger, she puts guilt trips on people to manipulate them and she cheated on her husband with her afternoon roll in the hay with Victor, opening Victor's old wounds and hurting Eva by getting caught. I really can't understand why Eva is willing to live a lie about not being married purely for Monica's sake so Monica can stage her own fantasy about a big wedding. I hope that in One With You the fact Eva eloped comes out. Best of all would be Eva sitting down with her mother and father both to tell them herself she and Gideon are married.

I have mixed feelings about Monica. Her redeeming qualities are she loves Eva with all her heart and when she had to decide between ending the unplanned pregnancy or getting financially shut off from her family she chose her baby. Also she believed Eva when she found out about the abuse, which is more than can be said for Gideon's mother. When Monica found out she left a financially secure situation, her marriage to a rich man, because she chose her child over social and financially security.

However she is a gold-digger, she puts guilt trips on people to manipulate them and she cheated on her husband with her afternoon roll in the hay with Victor, opening Victor's old wounds and hurting Eva by getting caught. I really can't understand why Eva is willing to live a lie about not being married purely for Monica's sake so Monica can stage her own fantasy about a big wedding. I hope that in One With You the fact Eva eloped comes out. Best of all would be Eva sitting down with her mother and father both to tell them herself she and Gideon are married.

I am too glad that Monica believed Eva about the abuse, but she really had no choice....since she was miscarrying and when a thorough exam was done they found both anal and vaginal scarring...so Eva couldn't have been making it up, but to say it was the step-brother and be believed that was huge!!

I would still like to know how Monica survived with Eva after she was cut off from her family and how old Eva was when Monica did marry her first husband.

Chapter 3:

Elizabeth really shows her true colors about Eva. She will believe all the bad things about Eva (probably from Christopher) and wouldn't believe her own son when he was young and told her about his abuse from Hugh :(

Glad that Gideon and Ireland are still in contact, funny how it took Eva to get them together one time to make this happen naturally.

Would love to have heard what Gideon said to Victor about the engagment in the gossip rags. It was smooth according to Arash. Would still like to hear the recording that Gideon made when he asked Victor to marry Eva.

The hummer was excellant, especially for Gideon. Couldn't believe that the folks on the other end didn't know what was going on. He was correct in telling them that if they thought they could use his money and not keep up with their own deadlines they were sadly mistaken!!

I would be jealouse too if my "hot" boyfriend/husband was going out with the guys. Gideon provided security and transportation whenever Eva went out without him, so Eva had a right to know what he and the guys would be doing.

Loved meeting his friends, and Arnoldo has a point about Eva; he has seen her in action what with the kiss and the dinner, but Arnoldo didn't know the whole story. Frankly Eva doesnt fit the mold and "fit" nicely into Gideon's life without a ripple!! Good for Eva, she LOVES Gideon

I love the chat...."Are you in love Mr, Cross? Irrevocatably"

My favorite part was the "Are you in love, Mr. Cross" lines. So sweet and special. 

Anything with Elizabeth I'm automatically not gonna like. It hurt to hear Gideon talk about her. He still a boy who loves his mother but obviously can't let himself. 

Not an Arnoldo fan, even though Eva has given him reasons to not to like and trust her. I feel like him and Elizabeth keep trying to push Corrine on Gideon and enough is enough. 

I want to know what Gideon said to Victor now and previously.

My favorite part was the "Are you in love, Mr. Cross" lines. So sweet and special. 

Anything with Elizabeth I'm automatically not gonna like. It hurt to hear Gideon talk about her. He still a boy who loves his mother but obviously can't let himself. 

Not an Arnoldo fan, even though Eva has given him reasons to not like and trust her. I feel like him and Elizabeth keep trying to push Corrine on Gideon and enough is enough. 

I want to know what Gideon said to Victor now and previously.

I suspect Corrine manipulated Arnoldo by putting on her best, sweet, soothing act when he saw her with Gideon a few nights after the horror show that happened outside the concert. I can see Arnoldo starting out relieved when he believed Gideon was done with Eva and was getting back with someone so sweet, someone he (supposedly) loved and years ago had wanted to marry. I get the impression that in Chapter 3, Arnoldo is seeing Gideon for the first time since he heard the news Gideon plans to marry Eva instead. Based on what he knew in Chapter 3 he was afraid Gideon was making a big mistake. There was so much Arnoldo doesn't know. But up to that point, the two times he saw Eva with his own eyes she was around Brett. So she gave him good reason to distrust her.

Favorite part is getting underneath Gideons skin. I love to read about his emotions for Eva, I love that he is finally able to really love someone, and that he is capable to let Eva love him. I'm so happy for him, and he deserves to enjoy all the good things life provides for him.

His mother p****s me off, I just want to slap her (and I'm not a violent kind of person!)! There is nothing she can do, or say, that will ever fix the harm she's caused, she can love G all that she wants, but like he said It's never enough....

Never thought of the possibility that Arnoldo was refering to Corinne... But that absolutely makes sense.

Do you think Arash knows something about Gideons past?? Not all of it of course, but perhaps something about his tense relationship to his family?? Does anyone like to make a comment on that?

Favorite part is getting underneath Gideons skin. I love to read about his emotions for Eva, I love that he is finally able to really love someone, and that he is capable to let Eva love him. I'm so happy for him, and he deserves to enjoy all the good things life provides for him.

His mother p****s me off, I just want to slap her (and I'm not a violent kind of person!)! There is nothing she can do, or say, that will ever fix the harm she's caused, she can love G all that she wants, but like he said It's never enough....

Never thought of the possibility that Arnoldo was refering to Corinne... But that absolutely makes sense.

Doubt it seriously that anyone knows about the abuse except Eva, Angus, Dr. Lucas.

My comment on the hummer that Eva gave Gideon while he was on a conference call, wonder what she would have done if SHE was working and he did that to her?

Do you think Arash knows something about Gideons past?? Not all of it of course, but perhaps something about his tense relationship to his family?? Does anyone like to make a comment on that?