:D Hello everybody,

Just a quick introduction.. I live in a small market town in Alton, Hampshire UK. We have 2 bookshops and 28 pubs.

I have been in the book trade for nearly 20 years although it's always been in IT. However I have been in a LOT of bookshops.. I have always loved literature of all types, although I very rarely get chance to curl up with a book - good or otherwise.

My favourite book so far is "Confessions of an English Opium Eater" by Thomas De Quincey, and I am about to start reading "The Diaries of Victor Klemperer". Lynne Truss' "Eats, shoots and leaves" made me laugh over Christmas.. Hmmm .. hope I got that apostrophe right :lol:

As an acknowledged geek I have to say that the PDA has been the biggest advance in books in quite a while. It means I can not only carry around a bunch of blogs to read on the train to and from work, but also a (bigger) bunch of novels. I'm hoping that authors will seize the opportunity and persuade their publishers to publish more in this format. Go for it !

I also have a blog 8)

Bye for now ..

(or should that be 'Bye for now )

As an acknowledged geek I have to say that the PDA has been the biggest advance in books in quite a while. It means I can not only carry around a bunch of blogs to read on the train to and from work, but also a (bigger) bunch of novels. I'm hoping that authors will seize the opportunity and persuade their publishers to publish more in this format.

Hi Peter!

Nice to meet you, glad you joined us! Did you find the board through my blog RSS?

I agree about the PDA. I just have an old-fashioned e-bookman, but I love it! I buy e-books all the time. I love the convenience and the no waiting! (Anyone who knows me will tell you I have no patience whatsoever!) I see you're in the UK. Lucky. I hope to visit someday soon. I know more about English history than I do American (and we have so much less! :lol: )

Hey Peter!

Another book geek is always welcome.  I too carry that title, rather proudly! :D

I must admit, I do like some old books as well though.. I found one called "The Coming Race" dated 1871 in a yard sale the other day.. years ahead of it's time and I got the sneaking suspicion that HG Wells might have read it too...

I admit to only having a few ebooks, but I'm spoilt living in a big city with tons of bookstores I can hang out in for hours on end!!

Ha ! So you think you can make me jealous eh ? *sigh* ok, I am .. :lol: So, if I want a good bookshop I go up to London where there are quite a few. Problem is that getting the inevitable book mountain back home on the train is a big problem ! E-books OTOH are very light indeed !

Catch you later !

Hi Peter!

Nice to meet you, glad you joined us! Did you find the board through my blog RSS?

Not directly, I found it through blogwise.com's latest additions page. I have to admit that knowing quite a few booktrade people I was curious to find out what would be in an author's blog :D I'm looking forward to exploring...

I just have an old-fashioned e-bookman, but I love it! I buy e-books all the time.  

Hmm.. earlier adopter eh ? I always wanted to *ahem* evaluate one of the first generation of e-books but the company would never agree :lol:

I love the convenience and the no waiting!  

(Anyone who knows me will tell you I have no patience whatsoever!)

Same here - my father (with endless patience and then some) can't believe we're related sometimes..

I see you're in the UK. Lucky. I hope to visit someday soon.

Quickly ! You must do it before we lose any more of our heritage .. and look me up when you come over..

I know more about English history than I do American (and we have so much less!  :D )

You wouldn't believe how little I know about English history !

'Bye for now !

I don't know much about history. :lol: Any countries history. lol

But I've been to Scotland and Ireland...I've seen historical spots. And love reading the fact and stuff when I'm there. I just don't seem to retain any of it.

Oh well! Just means I'll have to g back again someday as well. :D

Sasha

I don't know much about history. :lol:  Any countries history.  lol

But I've been to Scotland and Ireland...I've seen historical spots. And love reading the fact and stuff when I'm there.  I just don't seem to retain any of it.

Scotland and Ireland are beautiful. I went to Scotland a few times when I was in my early teens and was struck by the place even then - probably at an age when it wasn't "the thing" to be impressed by that sort of thing..

Ireland was always a "closed book" to me until I went there on business recently. Have to admit that (typical me) I had preconceived ideas about the place, but after a couple of days travelling around the North you could start to see where the history fitted in, and the terrible hardships that poor people must have suffered. God knows how they found time for any romance.. it must have taken all their time just getting by day to day. Ironically for me I thought the North was more beautiful than the South, but the two are just so very different, probably because the South has had so much money injected in sice they joined the EU, but the North still has much the same attitudes (and dare i say, many of the same prejudices) that it had over 100 years ago.

There are some places that just speak to you in certain ways - if there's a powerful history, even more so.. I definitely don't get the same feeling in England.. even though there are some places steeped in history.

Oh well! Just means I'll have to g back again someday as well.  :D  

Great.. maybe you could meet up with Sylvia on the way !

I agree with you about Ireland. North and South. The Republic was beautiful, lush and full of friendly people.

Nothern Ireland was beautiful in a different way. I absolutely loved Belfast. The energy of the people and the place was very special. I will go back there for sure. Plus, I just had a plain ol' great time!

Hmmm, meeting up with Sylvia and hitting the U.K??? A 'road trip'???

As long as she promises to not get us arrested. :lol:

Sasha

Hmmm, meeting up with Sylvia and hitting the U.K??? A 'road trip'???

As long as she promises to not get us arrested.  :lol:

Now where's the fun in that? :drunken:

Looks like we'll have to go to Alton, where the police force is temporarily closed for business while the city repaves a bike path. (Nuttiest thing I've heard in a long time. :roll: )