admin

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It took me approximately 6 hours to read and now beginning a much slower re-read. 

First impressions are that I loved it, some of the scenarios were as I had imagined them, a lot were not.  I like Eva again (I realised reading part of this book that her past relationships had not been lengthy so one of my comments on the CBY thread was incorrect).  Huge shock towards the end which made me cry, definitely not a scenario any of us had anticipated.

And I really did appreciate how the ending was not as mawkish as some book endings are.  As it ends literally during the three month period we don't get full answers to some of our questions about other characters but I don't think we needed to know, it's Gideon and Eva's story. 

And I know some are going to be disappointed about the lack of 'a baby' but Gideon gets Lucky and when you read how he reacts to Lucky being in his life who needs a baby.

Shortly after midnight my cellphone pinged stating that my account had been charged for OWY and low and behold it appeared on my Kindle!!!   Needless to say, I started reading and about 7 hours later I was finished.  I loved, loved , loved it!!  On such a fast read I believe that all my questions were answered.  I will make sure on my slower re-read.  I laughed and cried....had an unexpected turn of events near the end, but I coped (like Eva).  Thank you Sylvia for such a lovely ending....I wished this series would never end, but oh well. As they say "alls well that ends well"  Can't wait to hear from others after they have finished reading...

I, too, enjoyed Lucky

12276e1e10fd61b8e117a204922f2d83.jpg

beagle-puppies_1407298161-300x204.jpg

6 minutes ago, sscrph said:

Im surprised that Brett Kline did not make one last attempt to land Eva...Apparently he is smarter than Corinne lol . :)

Smarter and suspect he genuinely cared for her and as such was backing off once he saw how happy she was with Gideon - he also did not have Anne Lucas giving him dodgy prescriptions and putting thoughts into his head, and Deanna assisting in ensuring Corinne was Gideon obsessed (guess their idea of getting back at Eva thinking he just might give her up and go back to Corinne).

Stayed up until 12:30 waiting, but no book, so I went to bed. Found this morning it had been delivered at 12:45.  Just as well to have gotten some sleep. I'm a fast reader, so I've finished my first reading - though I kept trying to slow myself down because I didn't want it to end...

First impressions - the first ninety percent or so of the book is just terrific!  How the author wove and handled all her threads was masterful, and I loved how Eva and Gideon handled all that was thrown at them. And I really loved the warmth and personality Day portrayed in so many of the secondary characters - they weren't just background, but people you really came to care about. Some of the twists were expected, but some very clever and unexpected, at least to me. 

My main problem with the book is the end felt too crammed and a little garbled. There were too many parts and characters that I felt needed further voice and resolution. Yes, in fact, there needed to have been at least one more book.  There was so much more that could have been explored and revealed  (revisited and resolved????!) Glad, however she didn't just end it with an epilogue and baby five or ten years down the road.  Best, I guess, to have left it to our individual imaginations. 

Besides, I can sympathize with what I might project to have been a desire to finally be finished after so many years.  Not to mention the uproar there would have been by all those people who kept about the series extension to five volumes!  

All in all a  really great series with memorable characters; I look forward to reading more detailed comments and hashing over the story details and comments.  I am looking forward to a second re-reading when I can focus on the smaller intricacies of the story and not worrying about the ending.  

37 minutes ago, Chel22 said:

I feel a bit unsatisfied with this last book. I needed more content for supporting characters. Overall it was good, re-reading now.

I have to say that " a bit unsatisfied" perfectly covers it. There doesn't seem to be as much attention to details as in the other books even CBY which some readers did not like. I am on the second read now and hope it grows on me.

The situation with Monica is also

very upsetting to me. While she was vindicated as a mother Gideon was the one left feeling guilty because that bullet was meant for him.  How much can one man bear?

I know. I was a bit unsatisfied as well. Yes, Gideon and Eva overcome but the ending didn't leave me feeling really happy about a lot of things. There are many things left hanging out there for me, but I don't know if this is where to ask the questions since I am a brand new poster to the board. I wouldn't have minded a 6th book. But I didn't find the series until after the third book and was even new to reading on my Kindle fire. So I was searching for the next book , then realized it was a long way off. But if a sixth book would have provided closure for many of the secondary characters, I would be all for that, but you can't please everyone. It's just that the secondary characters were such a large part of the books until OWY and then so many of their stories didn't have a clear resolution or just faded away. Oh well. Maybe someone can direct me to wherever Sylvia may answer some of these questions, because I am really new at all the online stuff.

12 hours ago, D500 said:

12276e1e10fd61b8e117a204922f2d83.jpg

beagle-puppies_1407298161-300x204.jpg

Smarter and suspect he genuinely cared for her and as such was backing off once he saw how happy she was with Gideon - he also did not have Anne Lucas giving him dodgy prescriptions and putting thoughts into his head, and Deanna assisting in ensuring Corinne was Gideon obsessed (guess their idea of getting back at Eva thinking he just might give her up and go back to Corinne).

Love these pictures! Loved Lucky too, Sylvia said last night that we would meet a new character.  I cried, laughed and gasped. I will start a slower reread tomorrow. I really need some sleep.

These pictures are precious. Thanks for the visual. Dogs are wonderful creations who do give unconditional love. It was one of my favorite parts. Another of my favorite parts, in this book and the others. Angus!!! I don't think I need to say anything else.

sme I agree with many of your points but especially about Monica's backstory being overly complex...I had to re read this part several times to grasp it but maybe this was due to lack of sleep lol. I am on a second read now so I will let you know...

13 minutes ago, sme said:

Dear sscrph, 

oh, I am glad I am not alone with my point of view right now! I was hesitant to post my points ... I don´t want to cause any anger here ... but it is like this .. authentic me - but only in this moment. 

I´m lacking sleep also but due to other heavy thing which are talking place right now  in my life! Yeah, I am currently  just rereading the epilogque and  ... and then I have to go to restart .. if I find time for it ...  otherwise I won´t find my peace, I suppose .. 

til then .. sending a smile to you, hope you have soon time to get enough sleep! ;)

sme

On the other hand there were some very lovely moments in the book the one being the lunch at Tableau One with the Crossroads Foundation board members. Everything from Eva's new hairstyle and Gideon's reaction to it were perfectly written . It was  classic Sylvia...

2 hours ago, Mella said:

These pictures are precious. Thanks for the visual. Dogs are wonderful creations who do give unconditional love. It was one of my favorite parts. Another of my favorite parts, in this book and the others. Angus!!! I don't think I need to say anything else.

Totally agree with you about Angus in this book...He is human after all with a nice sense of humour and we finally got a glimpse of his relationship with Gideon as it is much more personal than professional. Just loved all the Angus moments in the book. :)

So, I also finished it last night =)(around 4AM, lol)

So.....if there are any grammar/understanding issues, I'm sorry, english is not my first language, but-feel free to point them out, I will try to describe it in other words =)

First of all, this book and Sylvia's writing hit so close to home in many points...it feels sometimes so real, I kind of started thinking "yeah, exactly, what I would have said/done/thought"...Gideon once said something like "good at believing what they wanted, and ignoring any proof to the contrary" about his mother(?)- this, and the reaction of her, when he confronted her- it was like he was talking about members of my family, who would/have react(ed) in the same way(as to believing what they wanted, and somehow force their own illusional world...regardless if others are left behind(just to clarify- no sexual abuse, but there are other ways...) I have NEVER read a book(or anything) that made me feel that way- a huge THANK YOU to Sylvia, you are truly an amazing writer! ......What I also loved was the characters development, the way they grew- Eva for example, when you compared her to the first book, where she herself needed help, to now, where she git help, healed, and was able to help others(Gideon in this case, so that he would open up more)- she wanted to help him in the other books as well, but I got the feeling, the she always pushed and pushed(often too much)- She didn't do that in OWY...she wanted him to open up, to FEEL- and did this this time(e.g.) with Lucky...because animals love unconditionally...there were so many situations, that I simply loved...because(as I said) they felt real.....and have to tip my (imaginary) hat to Sylvia, that she's able to write like that! Thank You!! You are amazing!!

But(sorry), there are also bits I don't really understand...I always had the feeling, that(in the previous books) there was not-so-little focus on Gideon's and Eva's sexual relationship-development--> that Eva is actually submissive, and Gideon is working his way "in", Eva was bound, they experienced a little bit with pain, they had the swing....maybe a missed something, but....?...Then, what happens to Cary/Trey/Tat? I understand, that it is Eva's and Gideon's story, and the evolved to a point, where they able (as Sylvia said) to manage their problems on their own- I got that feeling, also with Cary...but still*hm*...something is missing somehow...

The last 15-20% I didn't understand...maybe I have to read it again, and it was also due to lack of sleep...but the complex story of Monica's background? And that she got shot? By a patient of Anne? That last part was somehow too complex, too much(?), and, on the other hand, the issue with the book, and Anne, and Corinne, and Brett got too easily solved(also Christopher)? I don't know...maybe I really have to read it again, but, to me, it felt like there was a huge build-up to the book, and Anne, and Corinne(maybe also Brett), and Christopher...and then got easily solved, but other, new issues(Monica's past and death) arose out of nothing?! Right now, I'm really confused....Also, Eva's Job...And the dream-sequences, where they talk to their deceased loved-ones....I think I just have to read it again...

I would have also liked some look in the future...with a grown Lucky, Gideons finding out, that Eva's pregnant...would have been wonderful, BUT I also really really liked the Epilogue the way it is...and who knows? Maybe we get some short 'snippets' in the future?

If you made it that far- Thanks for reading! ;)

I had mixed feelings. I think I was too excited for questions about side characters to be answered as it already seemed as if Eva and Gideon were heading in the right direction even with their struggles. I was left with too many questions for my liking. I am typically a reader that likes to know how everything tie in. I may have missed things or forgotten from the other books but I was waiting for answers to a couple side stories.

I thought there would be a Russian Mobster tie-in because looking back it just seems a little too convenient that they were introduced and forgotten about. I also was slightly disappointed that not much more was said about Megumi. She was in the background but I thought it would the guy would be tied in as well.

I really wanted to know if Cary was actually the father.

I thought Irelands secret boyfriend would have had a more significant role other than just one that was cheating on her. Although correct me if this was stated and I missed it (based on first read) but was he related to Landon? Or after monicas death was waiting for him to be tied in as he had only just been introduced. 

Saying that I loved how there was a build up prior to Monica's death, the way that everything was being described I had a feeling something was about to go down and all of a sudden was shocked but intrigued that it was a death. 

I also love that Christopher Jnr is trying with Gideon. Everyone makes mistakes in life but I love that we are left with hope that their future does not always have to be so bitter.  

9 minutes ago, sme said:

Dear Sandra, 

I understand you in many ways and yes, I´ve read all what you did say! To introduce completely new plotlines (Anne Lucas&murder attempt of Gideon and the backstory around Eva´s mother death and background) was too much. The other things should have been addressed more. Suddenly they seem not to be any problem at all! 

Mark Garrety working now for Gideon .. how is this going?

Well, I have myself one more major complaint and this is everything around Monica Lauren Tramell Baker ... Stanton´s death and murder: 

- Where was Clancy´s Team? Why did his team fail to protect Monica?

- Why we don´t get the funeral and what happened there?

- Eva does deal much too quick with the death of her mother ... only after two - three weeks she is more or less not any more sad and happy in the honeymoon? This is so not real for her intensive and complicated relationsship with her mother and how her mother influenced her thoughts and feelings and reactions. There should be the five stages of grief for a person just so close to her life. And then these dreams about her mother ... yes, people dream about their recent died loved ones .. but this is for me a bit too soon ... much too soon neatly wrapped up. 

- Eva just accepts the past of her mother without feeling betrayed? No anger .. even a little bit there? No inner turmoil? And Gideon already told her everything in the honeymoon? 

- Clancy´s narration of Lauren Tramell´s story in one sitting? Not a good style and far too complex for the ending of the whole series. Much to many new twists and plots to insert at this late stage of a series. And what are really Clancy´s motive behind keeping his mouth shut? No reason given at all .. was he himself in love with her or somehow?

sme

Thank You!

Regarding Clancy's Team- Yep, thought so as well....I wouldn't go so far as to say it was his fault, but just maybe some small guilt-feelings?

Funeral- My thoughts as well...

Eva's healing-yeah...I actually wondered, why they would go on honeymoon, if Eva's mother recently died...

Clancy's narration- When the "Monica is not who she says she is" first came up, I was like- huh? ok? where does this suddenly came from?, Then I felt a huge build-up to this story...and then again- in one sitting resolved? just like that? *hm*

Somehow the last bit of the book didn't fit...also Gideon's reaction, his thoughts..I understand, that he didn't know how to tell Eva, that her mother died- but Eva ALWAYS sensed when Gideon was hiding something...not this evening? And the next day- when Gideon talked to Chris about Hugh and whether he believes that Christopher was raped as well...The transition from *not talking at all* to *talking with his stepfather* about it, want somehow to quickly...

I don't know...while reading it, e.g. when they were siting at the table(charity) and Eva worried about the Lucases- Gideon fell backing his old behavior, to distract Eva with sex(actually really filthy words, but you know what I mean)..and then again, when Gideon didn't tell Eva about her mother right away..again old behavior...for a small amount of time, I didn't think, that they would make it(as in "having a HEA")....but then everything resolved so quickly...I know, and I said before, that there was a lot of amazing character development...but it seemed too quickly...then again, maybe it was just really lack of sleep...

off-topic: Anyone else having difficulties logging-in? After a few minutes, the system itself logs me out, and then won't accept my password anymore...had to renew my password today for 3 times already =/

As has been stated by most readers who have commented here, the end was a shock.  I have read similar reviews everywhere.  I have only read two books by Sylvia Day .that were not part of the Crossfire series so I do not know her style.  That being said, I have read hundreds of romance/erotic romance/erotic novels during the past few years.  For me, One With You reads like an edgy Nora Roberts.  If I had been reading one of Nora's books what happened to Monica would not have been as much of a surprise.

Normally I would have expected the lives of all the characters to be tied up with neat ribbons but I think Sylvia said in an interview about this book that might not happen.  I, therefore, was not surprised to find so many characters unfinished....too many for my early expectations of the series.

A sixth book that provides a traditional/typical ending would take away from what I consider a unique ending to the Eva/Gideon story.  We are left to fill in the future for ourselves.

My comments should not be construed to imply I am happy.  I wanted a warm, fuzzy HEA.  I do thank Sylvia for a special reading experience that makes Crossfire a standout among the books I have read. 

One more thing... Why Eva's mother got married Stanton? I don't understand. She already had a lot of money. She could afford to help her sister by herself.

8 minutes ago, BettyY37 said:

As has been stated by most readers who have commented here, the end was a shock.  I have read similar reviews everywhere.  I have only read two books by Sylvia Day .that were not part of the Crossfire series so I do not know her style.  That being said, I have read hundreds of romance/erotic romance/erotic novels during the past few years.  For me, One With You reads like an edgy Nora Roberts.  If I had been reading one of Nora's books what happened to Monica would not have been as much of a surprise.

Normally I would have expected the lives of all the characters to be tied up with neat ribbons but I think Sylvia said in an interview about this book that might not happen.  I, therefore, was not surprised to find so many characters unfinished....too many for my early expectations of the series.

A sixth book that provides a traditional/typical ending would take away from what I consider a unique ending to the Eva/Gideon story.  We are left to fill in the future for ourselves.

My comments should not be construed to imply I am happy.  I wanted a warm, fuzzy HEA.  I do thank Sylvia for a special reading experience that makes Crossfire a standout among the books I have read. 

One with You is not the first book, I read, which has open ending. (for example: Dark Swan Series by Richelle Mead)

There is nothing unique in that. (I am sorry, but it is my opinion.)

I am so frustrated....

I think everyone on the forum has stated that they thought there were just too many loose ends to tie up at some point. That being said I think that everyone thought it couldn't be wrapped up; even in 500 pages and it certainly wasn't. At the end of the day it is Sylvia's story and she can write it any way she wants.   :).