* * One with You -- SPOILER THREAD * *

admin

Read everyone's thoughts so far - very much in agreement.  Definitely the biggest problem was the way too convoluted and far fetched background provided for poor Monica. Could have been resolved in a much more reasonable way. I have to say it was a shock (made me kind of teary, too). If the author had told us that one of the very inner circle was going to be killed, I would have predicted first Stanton then Cary, then possibly Elizabeth. Monica wouldn't have crossed my mind. Well done Sylvia, I guess sniff sniff.   Big question, though. Why wouldn't Victor have known about Monica's background.  He must have been around the same area if he got her pregnant when she was married to Tramell.  Also the idea of her marrying her sister's rapist to provide care???  And if Victor knew, why did he let Eva think Monica was a sort of self-centered gold digger? Oh, well, it's not my book. 

One other area I hope someone can clarify for me because it has been quite a while since I read the earlier books - that is do we know if Anne Lucas ever knew the truth about what Hugh had done - given that he prepared a false narrative history that Anne had on the thumb drive.  Did she know (we're we ever told) that Gideon's threats precipitated Hugh's suicide?  Obviously her husband knew since he examined Gideon, but did she act the way she did just out of rage for his treatment of her?  Also I doubt whether the tapes of her sessions with Hall would ever have been admissible in a case against her, unless the rules for a civil or malpractice suit are different. But I certainly am no expert in that area. 

I have many other questions I hope other people will be addressing or explaining. Not just to be complaining or criticizing, but because we have all been so invested in the series and particular characters.  So even if we have some criticisms or arguments, kudos to Day for creating such a vivid and engrossing world with so many memorable characters and personalities.  I will miss Angus, Ireland, Clancy, Arash, Monica, and Raul in particular.  And of course Eva and Gideon. 

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, eve said:

I couldn't agree more sscrph, but readers have the right to say whatever they want about a book too. Maybe not here?

I'm ok with that too.

Hi Eve my answer is yes I do think this is the venue to air our thoughts and feelings about  OWY . We have all been totally invested in Gideva's story over a period of years and even though some may be a little "unsatisfied" we remain huge fans of this series and Sylvia's writing.

At the moment all I can say is that I think we didn't get full closure of some storylines because the ending of the story (while on honeymoon) meant the story never reached the point of closure for those lines.  I guess the epilogue a lot of us expected was in the future, with children either with them or Eva telling Gideon she was pregnant, and that the stories such as Cary's baby and whether Corinne's book came out, would be known.

We saw in CBY how quickly some storylines were tied up and the same happened here.  Some reviewers were surprised Monica had a back story, they must have missed the clues scattered in the other books - but of course it does depend on how closely you read what is written.  I know I don't pick it all up and people on this forum have helped me to understand a few things in these books. 

And personally think it is okay for anyone to write here whatever they feel, without risk of criticism for not sharing a view, and from what I've seen on here there is no problem with members 'having a go' at those with differing viewpoints. 

I'm going through a much slower re-read (and odd on Good Reads that some reviewers - as with CBY - are criticising the amount of sex in the book and others are saying there is hardly any, my re-read will refresh my memory as to which of those statements is correct but how can there be both too much or not enough?)

I have been on this blog about 4 years and anytime a member mentions Goodreads or another site I never visit those sites to look because i just don't think those readers are as invested in the series as we on the blog are. Most of the time I think they must have read a different book because mainly I just don't get where they are coming from and some of the posts are unprofessional and rude lol. :)

I'm feeling a bit BLAH. I was so invested and so anxiously awaiting this book and ...MEH...I've read it and not going to waste time doing a re read. My first place of confusion happened when they took separate bachelor/bachelorette trips. In Captivated by You, Gideon couldn't let her go to San Diego for a weekend even while staying at her dad's. He showed up. So perhaps he felt this was a right of passage she needed and his friends needed. But he and his friends are well travelled and not hard done by...they all could have had a great time together be it Spain or Rio.  Then to see that in May, Gideon had been so careless with those two women.  He is a respected Business man world wide. What was he thinking being so openly sexually aggressive where pictures and public could see?  And in the 4 prior books he makes comments and thoughts that he never was in to sexual acts in public, that what he did with Eva that first meeting in his office where they ended up on the couch and Scott interrupted was so out of line for him.  Also he has commented in Captivated that what happened in Eva's apartment in Bared to You, when she was in her silk robe and he came to ask her to be his date to a dinner and he opened the robe and teased her and made her come...that behavior for him had never happened in the past....only at his F$%# pad....He says he wanted EVA so bad couldn't wait and that was new to him!!!   But this picture he contradicted himself. If the woman were aggressive, he would dominate them...in his hotel room. Plus, where was his security that a photo of this nature was taken? And again...what was he thinking???

Now on to Monica. What a complicated story to drop near the end.  Makes no sense. She at any time could have gone to Victor. Even after her second marriage to Nathan's dad. She had more than enough  money given to her thru divorce to marry Victor and look after her sister. Such a headache to read thru and comprehend at the end of the book. Give Monica her own book...more Gideon and Eva...more satisfactory endings to characters we have followed for 4 books!! Not a skim over and brush them under the rug!

Disappointed !  Exhausted ! And let Down !!!

33 minutes ago, shan12 said:

And in the 4 prior books he makes comments and thoughts that he never was in to sexual acts in public, that what he did with Eva that first meeting in his office where they ended up on the couch and Scott interrupted was so out of line for him.  Also he has commented in Captivated that what happened in Eva's apartment in Bared to You, when she was in her silk robe and he came to ask her to be his date to a dinner and he opened the robe and teased her and made her come...that behavior for him had never happened in the past....only at his F$%# pad....He says he wanted EVA so bad couldn't wait and that was new to him!!!   But this picture he contradicted himself. If the woman were aggressive, he would dominate them...in his hotel room. 

Yep...asked myself that same questions....to my understanding, he was only "doing this stuff" in the F***p**.

I don't feel disappointed...maybe still confused...and maybe some things need time to fall into place...

For me, there are at one side the "doesn't make sense"-issues, and on the other side the"no closure"-issues...I was thinking a lot about the "no closure"-issues today: Readers always want(ok, maybe not always, but we tend to want it) everything tied up, so that we feel the book/story is finished, and there's is nothing more to add. But, maybe, we look at it from a fall perspective: Life itself isn't a one-sided story, with a beginning and an end. This story isn't finished. And it's not like we, and all of our friends find love/happiness, etc all at once... and so, we were just allowed to accompany/follow  Gideon and Eva for a short period of their lifes. Their lives, and all of their friends' lifes goes on...It that way, we actually never ever have to say goodbye to all of them(maybe except Monica), in that way, the story is unique...and in that way, again, it just feels so REAL....

3 minutes ago, eve said:

The "doesn't make sense"-issues.... Can anyone explain? Please...

To me, it doesn't make sense that...

e.g. This picture of Gideon had been taken, because the way I understood it, Gideon had his F***p**, and didn't interact sexually anywhere else...maybe I misunderstood?; Eva's quick(?) healing after her mother died; Clancy's quick explanation at the end of the book about Monica's backstory- yes, I know, there were clues about *something*, but *hm*; Eva's not sensing that Gideon didn't tell her something(the evening when her mother died;..when Gideon and Dr peterson discussed that gideon wants Eva all for himself, and Eva tried to share him with everyone(basically), he brings the issue later up with Eva, but somehow it gets resolved too quickly, and starts to like "other people" too quickly..the way some thing we thought were really important and an huge issue, were resolved rather quickly, and some others, which haven't been mentioned before, were *hm* focused on?(focused is the wrong word here...too strong...when I remember the right one, I switch it out =)

There are a lot of things, BUT- as I said before- maybe I have to reread it, because I didn't get/comprehend it all due to lack of sleep?!

There are also SOOOOOOO many things that I loved...and the were all in the first part of the book...so maybe it IS because I just couldn't comprehend it all at once =)

I LOVED the puppy scene(I can't get a dog-*Sure you can-I don't want a dog-*Sure you do), I LOVED the scenarios with Dr Peterson, Loved how Gideon opened up, due to Eva..I loved when Gideon confronted his mother- even though it has a deep, and important, and not funny it all...it just is/was so important; I loved that we got to know more about Angus; when Gideon showed up at Eva's farewell-party, when he finally relaxed and realized, that that moment, when Eva and Lucky and he were in Bed, felt like home...I LOVED, that we got the feeling, that Gideon ist healing, and happy....

One thing I thought was very clever of Day was to introduce the puppy as a partial solution to the on going problem of Gideon's violent nightmares.  I don't know how much truth or science there is to it, but it certainly sounds plausible that a dog sleeping nearby might pick up on distress or some kind of bad vibes emanating from his master and provide an early warning wake up.  Much nicer than just relying on pills and years of therapy. And, as Eva says, he's a source of unconditional love for someone who hasn't received much.  

Those beagle pics were SO cute!

LUCKY is the best new character ever :)

Since it was mentioned that Tat was already dating someone else I think that she was just lying about being pregnant. This would have been a great way to tie up that storyline because Cary could now move on and reach his full potential with no baggage and without the crutch of Eva. Monica and Stanton even offered for him to stay in the apartment so he would be well on his way to self sufficiency at some point. Cary has always been a mainstay in Gideva's relationship much to Gideon's dismay so I think this storyline is one that could have been wrapped up quite easily. 

Personally, I was satisfied with everything about this book except for the epilogue. As a couple and individually Gideon and Eva matured and they were finally able to establish a solid foundation for their marriage. Their communication was better, they learned to trust easy other completely and as a result they fell more deeply in love. Each of them made a few missteps, which was to be expected, especially given the accelerated nature of their relationship, but in the end forgiveness on both their parts is what made them whole.

So now to my one complaint. Like many of you have already said I would have liked to get a glimpse of what Gideon and Eva's relationship looked like after some "real" time had passed. I would have enjoyed reading about how much stronger their relationship was and how their family grew to possibly include children. 

Overall,  though my expectations were high and this book did meet my expectations. Yes, some questions did remain unanswered or were answered more generally then I had expected, but at the end of the day all I really wanted was for Gideon and Eva to find peace and happiness with each other and they did, so I am satisfied and happy. Also I want to say "thank you" to Sylvia Day for giving these two the happy ending they deserved and fought for.

25 minutes ago, Nrock said:

One thing I thought was very clever of Day was to introduce the puppy as a partial solution to the on going problem of Gideon's violent nightmares.  I don't know how much truth or science there is to it, but it certainly sounds plausible that a dog sleeping nearby might pick up on distress or some kind of bad vibes emanating from his master and provide an early warning wake up.  Much nicer than just relying on pills and years of therapy. And, as Eva says, he's a source of unconditional love for someone who hasn't received much.  

Those beagle pics were SO cute!

There are dogs who can "predict" an epileptic seizure minutes before the person notices ANYTHING...there is def. truth and science behind it, although, I have to admit, these dogs are trained for it(and therefore really expensive), BUT it does work!

Just found a link: http://www.epilepsy.com/get-help/staying-safe/seizure-dogs

Edited by Sandra_1705
added the link

I stated in a prior post that I loved this book.  I still do, (the entire series in fact) but as some have stated some areas were lightly covered.  Like Monica's back story...maybe I was too tired from reading all day, but her story was really confusing.   am re-reading slowly now so maybe everything will make more since.  I agree....Gideon should have been more careful, I too thought he only did things in his fu**pad hotel.  that's why he and his  friends only stayed in NY.  I couldn't believe that they went so far out of town for the bachelor/bachelorette weekend; they should have combined the two knowing how jealous both Gideon and Eva are.  and I really couldn't believe that Monica came along.  Who brings their mother to that type of party.?!  If someone had to die I guess Monica was all right, better than it being Gideon or Eva.  Eva did get over her Mother's death really quick.

Gideon talking with his step-father so quick about how Hugh would have been too wiped after him to have done anything with Christopher so soon after.  He never was that explicit with Eva. The handling of Deanna is still a mystery.  Did she take a job at CI? and if so as what?  A pain in the Arse and a BIG mistake?  The book, now will it be published? and Victor deciding to move to NY and Gideon just happened to have a contract already made out with the salaries of Angus and Raul.  Don't think Victor would let them have s*x in the limo while he was driving!!

But Sadly, I am sorta depressed that the Crossfire Series is over.  It is like I have lost some good friends.  An epilogue five years in the future would have been better than them on their honeymoon.  I guess they brought Lucky along so that they could still sleep together in the same bed.    After my second read, if I remember anything I will post.

I guess you could call it a wake for Monica at the beach house in NC....that is sorta when Gideon and Eva privately renewed their vows by Gideon giving Eva that diamond band.  He certainly spent some $$ on her this book....that diamond necklace, earrings and the ruby bracelet, etc

26 minutes ago, Sandra_1705 said:

No, but he rarely(?) did have sex with the women in the F***p** either...He took them there to use them...

Quote: “If I remember correctly, you tagged two women when we blew out Cinco de Mayo, and a few weeks later you’re telling me to draft an insane prenup.”

Foreplay :D

I do recall family pets being a great comfort when I was upset, I recall one particular incident where I had not been well and had received bad news and my sister's dog was there and when I got off the phone she suddenly climbed on the sofa next to me head on my knee and snuggled in as if to say 'I'm here, can't do much but be with you but I'm here'

A comment on Facebook has reminded me that Sylvia said we may meet some characters in other books so who knows, maybe somewhere in The Blacklist book we may hear more about characters from Crossfire?

24 minutes ago, eve said:

Quote: “If I remember correctly, you tagged two women when we blew out Cinco de Mayo, and a few weeks later you’re telling me to draft an insane prenup.”

Foreplay :D

According to the other books Gideon did not act so brazenly out in public.  Yes, this is foreplay, but so out of the normal from what we were led to believe about Gideon.  He used his f@#$ pad. He is also a successful business man...what is he thinking doing "foreplay" out in public where pictures of the foreplay were taken.  He says he was always in control except when he wanted Eva.  He says he couldn't control himself and broke his rules for her.  Come on here....he was sucking on one woman's nipple and fingering the other.  REALLY GIDEON??!!!  You are a 12 billion dollar business man.  How stupid of you to act this way.  And Sylvia don't confuse us...either he uses the f@#$ pad for all  his sexual encounters  like the first 4 books eluded us too...or he didn't...which is it. It was with Eva only that he lost control away from his f@#$ pad  or so we were to believe.

11 minutes ago, D500 said:

A comment on Facebook has reminded me that Sylvia said we may meet some characters in other books so who knows, maybe somewhere in The Blacklist book we may hear more about characters from Crossfire?

First let me say that Sylvia did mention at the q&a I attended that Gideon will be mentioned in the Blacklist, I also remember her saying that the book is finished but can't be published until next year (not from her end).

Now I am still trying to process OWY I will be starting my reread tonight at a slower pace. I was very sleep deprived and still am bc I finished it at 2 this morning so I feel I missed some things.  I would have loved for the epilogue to have been time down the road, I am extremely happy with the HEA but I would have loved to hear how Gideon and Eva would react to having a child.  I was so in love with Lucky being an animal lover forever they do know when something is wrong and I can speak from experience with relatives who have passed away and my dog knew. I yelled out loud when Gideon was told of the picture of him with those two woman, however Arash had said twice in OWY that he tagged two woman when they blew out Cinco de Mayo. I would have liked more closure with Corinne, Deanna and Trey. I felt it was a good move for Victor to move to NYC he missed Eva a lot. I also can't see him letting them have their way with each other in the back of the limo. Angus I just love him too and how he took care of Gideon and how Gideon felt toward him. I was shocked that Monica was shot and died it was very very late when I was reading that part and I wanted to finish but I should have reread that section again.

I thought their story was going to be 480 pages and then the epilogue then the beginning of So Close but their story ended at 462. I am being greedy and would have loved if it was 550 to 600 pages or a sixth book.

Sylvia it was such a wonderful experience for me to read the Crossfire Series, it got me through a lot of hard times, one being my daughter who is my prize possession moved 1000 miles away to go to Grad school in Florida and will be making that her permanent home :(. It was also a pleasure to meet you, you were very kind and welcoming Thank You!