* * One with You -- SPOILER THREAD * *

admin

2 minutes ago, eve said:

I think I am done reading Sylvia Day's books. I am sorry. Buy!

I told my husband the same thing yesterday when I finished reading.  I didn't even glance at the new book chapter at the end of this book.  I used to look forward to the audio books but I don't want this one.  I thought I could get closure here , but reading everyone else's issues with the book just makes me more upset with it.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

19 minutes ago, shan12 said:

According to the other books Gideon did not act so brazenly out in public.  Yes, this is foreplay, but so out of the normal from what we were led to believe about Gideon.  He used his f@#$ pad. He is also a successful business man...what is he thinking doing "foreplay" out in public where pictures of the foreplay were taken.  He says he was always in control except when he wanted Eva.  He says he couldn't control himself and broke his rules for her.  Come on here....he was sucking on one woman's nipple and fingering the other.  REALLY GIDEON??!!!  You are a 12 billion dollar business man.  How stupid of you to act this way.  And Sylvia don't confuse us...either he uses the f@#$ pad for all  his sexual encounters  like the first 4 books eluded us too...or he didn't...which is it. It was with Eva only that he lost control away from his f@#$ pad  or so we were to believe.

In Gideon's defense lol that was a private VIP section in probably one of his clubs so it must have been one of those girls that took the photos and btw did anyone think Deanna could have been behind the leak of that photo?  

I hated the dual bachelor parties... I would much rather have read about Gideva enjoying some much needed private time  at the beach house...

33 minutes ago, sscrph said:

In Gideon's defense lol that was a private VIP section in probably one of his clubs so it must have been one of those girls that took the photos and btw did anyone think Deanna could have been behind the leak of that photo?  

I hated the dual bachelor parties... I would much rather have read about Gideva enjoying some much needed private time  at the beach house...

I did think that Deanna was behind it. When I read the part about the photo I was not happy but I realized that it had to be old because he loves her too much to do that. I also hated the bachelor and bachelorette parties. I wanted them at the Outer Banks alone for a weekend and then have the family attend. I know Chris didn't tell Christopher about Gideon's abuse which I feel was a good thing it wasn't his story to tell, Chris obviously said something powerful to Chris for him to reach out to Gideon.

Quote: "“He wasn’t stalking Eva,” I said tightly, the horrific realization sinking in. I pulled out the photo from the nightclub of me and two women. Taken in May, it preceded Eva’s arrival in New York."

It wasn't Deanna so it must be in public... maybe not quite..because - VIP private area in club.............. so the "doesn't make sense"-issue is here :D

Anyway, I don't care anymore.

This is not the discussion I thought we would  be having after reading OWY.  I am feeling the same as most of you.  DISAPPOINTED and LET DOWN.  I feel that we waited long enough (Over 1 year) for this book to be released.  I did not mind the wait thinking Sylvia was taking her time closing up all the loose ends (and there were many after the last book).  When I finished reading I just sat there thinking there has to be more.  It just felt UNFINISHED.  There have been many discussions and lists as to all the unanswered questions everyone in this forum hoped would be answered.  I am sure Sylvia and/or her people read through this discussion group.   We know for a fact that she sometimes comes here and answerers questions.  I am just confused why she would leave so many characters storyline unfinished. 

Before I mention the loose ends  I would just like to mention the best part of the book was seeing how far Gideon and Eva have come since BTU.  Just opening up to Eva and  agreeing to therapy was a big step for him.  I loved that Eva bought him a dog and enjoyed the interaction between them.  However,  there were too any storylines left unfinished.  I have never felt this disappointed with the last book in a series before.  

What I thought could have been left out was the Bachelor/Bachelorette parties.  Neither group partied so why did they need to go to Rio?   Really, was that necessary.  Also, the whole Monica backstory.  I know we wanted to know some things about Monica's backstory, but did we really need what we got.  I felt it was too unrealistic and having her killed was a shock but just opened up more questions.  Why?  Stanton, why did nobody go to him he was devastated.  Gideon sent a test, that's it. Christopher ??    What about Ireland's boyfriend? Showed up at the dinner with his ex-girlfriend.  That's it, storyline over.

Instead of what I listed in the previous paragraph I would rather Sylvia closed the storylines regarding  Cary/Trey/Tatiana.  His relationship was left open regarding Trey. I would have liked to know that Corrine was shipped back to her husband.  Speaking of husband, what about him???  What about the book?   What happened with Anne regarding the police, false accusations that whole storyline.  Deanna, another open end.  Who would want her working for Gideon's company anyway. Gideon and Eva need her as far away from them as possible.

Sorry for the ramble, Im tired, confused and so disappointed with this last book.  I feel we, the readers, deserved a more finished storyline.  I know, I know that was a little harsh but waiting over a year I expected MORE.  One with You was just a disappointing ending to a amazing series.

6 hours ago, Nrock said:

One thing I thought was very clever of Day was to introduce the puppy as a partial solution to the on going problem of Gideon's violent nightmares.  I don't know how much truth or science there is to it, but it certainly sounds plausible that a dog sleeping nearby might pick up on distress or some kind of bad vibes emanating from his master and provide an early warning wake up.  Much nicer than just relying on pills and years of therapy. And, as Eva says, he's a source of unconditional love for someone who hasn't received much.  

Those beagle pics were SO cute!

This is very true especially service dogs.  They are used with solders with PTSD.  Also test show that dogs recognize cancer and other diseases in humans before doctors.

6 hours ago, Sandra_1705 said:

No, but he rarely(?) did have sex with the women in the F***p** either...He took them there to use them...

This was a private VIP room with his close friends, Arnoldo, Arash, Miguel .  That was his concern, how did someone get in there to take pictures.    He wasn't having sex he was finger f**king them.

I had this book very early and waited to say anything because.......

Like many people I am disappointed for a number of reasons but first....

I loved 75 to 80% of the book....

Love Lucky.

Arash is my new favorite he kicked Arnoldo out of that 1st place position

Love the sessions with Dr. Peterson.  I think we learn a lot about Gideon and gain some additional insight into Eva in these scenes.

I love the lunch session with the Crossroads group.  I believe this is an indicator that Eve will work with Gideon.  He loves having her in the Crossfire building.

Love Gideon attending the luncheon for Eva.  Love that man!

Angus holds my heart.  He does love Gideon and tells him like it is.

Love Chris and the dinner with Gideon, Eva, and Chris was perfect.

Love the showdown with Lizzie the b**** (we see she is a bad mother), Deanna (great scene especially when Gideon tells her Eva wanted him to offer her a job) and Corrine is out.

Victor - love when he's angry and I love that he is moving to NYC.

What bothers me and ruined the 5* for me...

Cary's story--we never find out if the baby is his, if Trey is going to forgive him or if he can really be faithful.

The Landon's storyline is incomplete.

That bachelor/bachelorette parties on two different continents.  I get that it set up a headline to expose the stalker camera man who was going to be important to the next problem for me.  It just didn't work for me.   I'm happy that Anne is getting arrested and exposed but that whole trip didn't work for me.

Monica's story--I actually like the backstory.  It explains a lot but I hate that she was killed off.  It stopped the "second marriage".  Eve didn't get to wear her grandmother's wedding dress.  Why bring it up at all if she doesn't have the ceremony.  The trip to NC was a downer instead of a celebration of Eva & Gideon's new life together and no reception.  Then the funeral was lacking any feels for me.   If you are going to put this in why not have substance to the scene.

The epilogue wasn't a true epilogue it was a final chapter with an epilogue heading.

Edited by Sharonm745
typo

3 hours ago, Sharonm745 said:

Love Lucky.

Love the sessions with Dr. Peterson.  I think we learn a lot about Gideon and gain some additional insight into Eva in these scenes.

I love the lunch session with the Crossroads group.  I believe this is an indicator that Eve will work with Gideon.  He loves having her in the Crossfire building.

Love the showdown with Lizzie the b**** (we see she is a bad mother), Deanna (great scene especially when Gideon tells her Eva wanted him to offer her a job) and Corrine is out.

Cary's story--we never find out if the baby is his, if Trey is going to forgive him or if he can really be faithful.

That bachelor/bachelorette parties on two different continents.  I get that it set up a headline to expose the stalker camera man who was going to be important to the next problem for me.  It just didn't work for me.   I'm happy that Anne is getting arrested and exposed but that whole trip didn't work for me.

Monica's story--I actually like the backstory.  It explains a lot but I hate that she was killed off.  It stopped the "second marriage".  Eve didn't get to wear her grandmother's wedding dress.  Why bring it up at all if she doesn't have the ceremony.  The trip to NC was a downer instead of a celebration of Eva & Gideon's new life together and no reception.  Then the funeral was lacking any feels for me.   If you are going to put this in why not have substance to the scene.

The epilogue wasn't a true epilogue it was a final chapter with an epilogue heading.

I agree with all of your points Sharon and another scene that I absolutely hated in the book besides the dual bachelor parties was when Eva popped into Gideon's office after he had just found out about Deanna being the ghostwriter...Eva seemed to have a little tantrum and Gideon acted like a spoiled billionaire child also. As I was reading this I was thinking "what is this?"  Gideon and Eva never act like that in front of others...even Scott was there to witness it. Maybe  in private but not even  that ...I just thought that scene was so ODD ...

I would go as far to say that Monica's death was the ruination of the book for me. As Sharon said it put an end to all of the storyline that had been building up in the previous 400 pages. At the end of the day it was supposed to  be a romance novel  not a crime story; VERY  DISAPPOINTING ...     :(

I'd love to read this book again with an alternate ending...   :)

I agree about the whole Monica business being a spoiler to the ending, along with the fact that the whole storyline of it was waaaay over the top and unrealistic. Maybe its only purpose was shock value. I, too, felt bad that Stanton's agony was practically ignored, especially after all he did for Eva, Monica , and even Cary. That still bothers me. 

The other "surprise" that didn't come together for me was the stalker entwined with Gideon business. Lord knows there were plenty of people who had reason to have grudges against the Cross family and could have been manipulated by Anne in a way that made more sense. People maybe less prominent than the Landon family - I thought that line was handled really well, and it didn't need a neat tie up, because it would continue to be a sort of chess match between Gideon and Ryan. 

Can't help feeling that, especially since most of us liked the majority of 5,  by the last quarter of the book Day just wanted to finally get things wrapped up and move on with her writing life. There has been continuous pressure on her to hurry up and get a move on - with each of her books, but especially this last one. And again, it's a tribute to her imagination and abilities that we've hung in so long and are still here digging into the story. I know I still have areas I'd like to hear about and have things to say and questions to ask. 

7 hours ago, Sharonm745 said:

Love Lucky.

I agree with everything you said. I was shocked about Monica and the ending wasn't exactly what I wanted, but it was Sylvia's book to write.

All I can say is in Disappointed 

I finished OWY last night, it took me longer than I planned to read it. I haven't had time to read the comments on here, hope to do that later today. Incomplete if how I feel about the book. I was happy Gideon and Eva got their HEA, but what about everyone else. I was upset the epilogue was their honeymoon. I wish It would have  been a little  longer in time, so we could see where everyone was at. Was the baby Cary's? Did Cary and Trey work things out? Maybe another bring the friends together night would have been nice. just to see where everyone landed 

There was so many issues I can even list them all. 

The highlight of the book was the dang dog. How sad is that.

Hope to have time to read every ones comments

I do look forward to the Blacklist, but I wont be reading it till it's complete.

<<Sigh>>....Grrr...Frustrated. I'm frustrated. 

Finished the book last night...well at 2:30am...I don't even think I want to reread it.

First, I'll say that as usual, Sylvia's writing, and emotional story telling is great. But I'm annoyed as I feared I would be.

Let me think of what else I liked before getting to what I didn't....

I loved Lucky. At first I thought that is was Eva being pushy again like she has been in the last few books. But Gideon loves him and he does give unconditional love and helps him with his nightmares. I love that. It gives Gideon a bit of relief to know that if he does have nightmares, Lucky would wake him.

Love Angus! I'd like to know more about him! Did he help get Gideon out with Hugh? If so, how? But confronting him on his own and telling him never to come back? By somehow saying something to Elizabeth? B/c Gideon said she did believe him, he saw it in her eyes. Unreal, that woman.. UNREAL! Christopher may have been abused as well!! She makes me sick. I liked how Gideon confronted her. That made me cringe but also brought tears to my eyes b/c he was finally having it out w/ her.  I wish she say Eva there too.  How sad Gideon had to be sedated when being examined by Lucas. And why wasn't Elizabeth in the room during that exam? I would think, after his claim, he should've been supervised?!?!

Chris Sr. is the best! So supportive. I hoped Gideon would've asked him to be best man. Would've been wonderful. I'm glad Chris Jr. is making contact. I would've like to know what Sr. said to him.

Ireland was great too! Such a smart girl. She and Eva will be awesome sisters to each other. I kind of hope she finds out what her mother did. She's not happy with her now and she  doesn't know why her father left her.

Dr. Peterson was great. Did Gideon ever tell him Hugh's and the Lucas' names?

The TV interview was great! I  was surprised but really enjoyed he was putting everyone in their place!!

Ok....Now what I didn't like:

The Monica story! Really?! She had to DIE for her story to finally be told? Eye rolled thru that. She didn't need to die. Come on. Why more drama?!? These two have been through enough in the short time they've been together. And Gideon knowing that bullet was for him, because of Anne....that's more guilt he's going to have! Eva's mother is dead b/c of a stalker that became a stalker b/c of the crazy women Gideon had an affair with. Grrrr. But, really, the city is filled w/ MILLIONS of people, and Anne is treating someone who was affected by Geoffrey cross' Ponzi scheme from 25 years ago?

This post is going to ramble, so sorry about that!

So we know what we've all guessed: Anne is behind Corinne's behavior....Again, how did they connect? At a gala? Thru Elizabeth? Also, it seems like Anne DID know that her brother treated Gideon...She is sick. What happened to her? Prison? is she going to write a tell all about her affair w/ Gideon? Will she be charges w/ murder of Monica, attempted murder of Corrine, the death of her baby? Is Lucas finally going to be held responsible somehow for lying about Gideon?!

The bachelor/bachelorette I did not enjoy either. That picture coming out....ugh. I too didn't think he did anything outside of the hotel. Technically he wasn't screwing them in public, but still. And yes, it was in the VIP lounge, but it's still not 100% private. Plus there were other people there! Wouldn't think that of him.  Glad Eva didn't freak out about it. She shouldn't have considering her past. And how did anyone/stalker know they were away ? I guess they could've posted on their social media accounts.

Not sure how to feel about Victor working for GidEva...Kinda odd. Is this to set up something w/ him and Graves...Again it was mentioned how she was plain but kind of pretty.

That's another thing. There was a lot of rehashing the characters of this book.

What happened w/ Corinne's book? I don't understand a ghostwriter? So Corrine tells Deanna everything, provides the photos and she writes the books? When did she become an author? Anne must've pushed for that. But really, Corrine couldn't ever think Gideon would be ok w/ it. That he'd take her back. Elizabeth telling Gideon to apologize to Corrine?? Man oh man. Deanna is nuts too. I like how he told her off...and confirmed they did sleep together. But did he really offer her a job? Or was she sent somewhere to be escorted out of the building? lol

I don't really like that Gideon kept Monica's death from her for so long. I do understand that he did not want her to see Monica that way. That she'd never forget it. Makes me wonder if he saw his father. I'd hope not, but maybe.

Why was no one w/ Stanton? How sad.

Epilogue was non existent. I thought they usually gave a look into the good future? Not two weeks later.  Seeing GidEva working together would've been great. Some family time. A catch up w/ all of the characters she's put in their lives.

Idk, I wasn't happy when I finished this book. I feel like book 4 wasn't necessary, this could've been in it's place w/ a nice epilogue well in to the future. The whole Monica thing bothers me. And that Corrine , Deanna and Anne just wont go away. And how do people keep bursting into Gideon's office?! Don't they have to called up from the lobby downstairs first?! Lol.

It's too bad the stalker is the one who took those pictures that Gideva liked...bc now they'll only see they were taken by Monica's murder.

I'll post this mess of comments and see if I think of anything else.  Sorry again for the rambled mess! Let me know what you think :)

Would anyone like to hear what Sylvia has to say about the comments on her fan community site (not including amazon or goodreads)?  Would she even consider it?

Its like any other book or TV series that goes on for a while and then they have a final book or final episode.

Look at what happen with Lost and The Soprano's. Didn't see either of them ending they way they did and everyone was upset.

The producers explained but it didn't matter, its what they wanted to do.

Not on much at the moment as neighbours called, and next I spend a few days on and off with my sister.  I'm re-reading the e-book so I can highlight text and take screenshots to look at later.

I think the scene at Tableau One with the Crossroads Board indicates that Eva is going to be working for them, so I think that was meant to wrap up that part of the story.

Landons - odd that although Eva felt Mrs Landon looked a little like Corinne (and Elizabeth) but Gideon didn't think so, Eva thinking Landon was going for someone looking like Gideon's ideal woman.  Looked like Gideon had manipulated being at the restaurant at the same time as the Landons, having the Board there and getting Eva to attend - and if I've interpreted Gideon's comment correctly he felt that Landon was behind Eva leaving him (because Landon was trying to get Eva indirectly working for himself and thus forcing Gideon to take steps to ensure Eva worked for Gideon which he did by offering Mark a job). 

Regarding past hints of a bdsm type when Gideon phoned Eva to tell her the dog had woken him from a nightmare she said maybe the dog couldn't sleep through the noise Gideon was making and his response was 'I feel the sudden urge to take you ver my knee and spank you, angel' her response 'Try it, babe.  Se what happens' and him thinking 'I knew what would happen.  She was the one who couldn't see it, yet.'  ?????  We didn't find more out than that (unless I find anything in my re-read).

That's it, for now, as I'm not moving very fast on the re-read.

1 hour ago, Stelladeer said:

Would anyone like to hear what Sylvia has to say about the comments on her fan community site (not including amazon or goodreads)?  Would she even consider it?

Sylvia is on an intensive book tour over the next few weeks, but you can post questions to her in the Q & A forum and she'll try to answer as her schedule allows: http://www.sylviaday.net/forum/39-q-a/

I had a lot of issues with this book. I absolutely loved the first 80% of this book until Monica died then I felt like it was rushed and we didn't see Eva go through any sort of recovery process. I didn't find the way that she reacted to the news believable. Her and her mother didn't always get along but she was still her mother. I was expecting more of a reaction from her especially after the way she handled other emotional moments in the books.

There wasn't enough time after Monica's death for things to be completely explained. Monica's backstory seemed rushed and confusing and I had to read over it a couple of times before I understood.

I also agree that there was not enough from the background characters. I wanted to see Cary's reaction to fatherhood and Mark and Steven's wedding etc. I felt that we saw a lot less of these characters in OWY than we did in any of the other books and that frustrated me because they were important to Gideon and Eva's story. 

I don't usually review books or write in forums like this but the ending to this book has just left me feeling frustrated. I feel slightly cheated by the ending as it is a romance series and I though that something as dramatic as Monica's death drew away from that. 80% of the book was the lead up to Gideon and Eva's wedding, which I personally was really excited for, and then it never even happened. 

The Epilogue was also very bittersweet for me. I enjoyed it because Eva and Gideon got there happy ending but it just wasn't what I was expecting. I wasn't bothered about the baby thing but I just wanted closure. I feel like we didn't get that. It was only two weeks or so after her mother died and it was like it never happened. Maybe I need a reread of the ending as I was too angry about Monica's death to take it all in.

And is it just me or did anyone want to see Monica and Victor get back together?

I did love it. However I don't think I will be rereading as I have done multiple times with the others.

25 minutes ago, admin said:

Sylvia is on an intensive book tour over the next few weeks, but you can post questions to her in the Q & A forum and she'll try to answer as her schedule allows: http://www.sylviaday.net/forum/39-q-a/

Thank you, I have posted my question there.

I was an angry fan waiting for this book, but but was worth every word!  I loved the book, and loved the series.  I can't help but feel grief, overwhelmed and empty.  I need a little more closure with the other characters. How will Victor handle working for G - protecting E.  What about Cary?  I agree with early comments of  sscrph and sme - I haven't had time to read the rest, but I need another 1/2 book to tie up the loose ends.

3 hours ago, BettyY37 said:

Having read the entire series from beginning to end during the past week, I wonder after finishing the fifth book for the second time if the whole story was outlined in 2012

Betty Im not sure what you mean in your post please elaborate.

20 hours ago, shan12 said:

According to the other books Gideon did not act so brazenly out in public.  Yes, this is foreplay, but so out of the normal from what we were led to believe about Gideon.  He used his f@#$ pad. He is also a successful business man...what is he thinking doing "foreplay" out in public where pictures of the foreplay were taken.  He says he was always in control except when he wanted Eva.  He says he couldn't control himself and broke his rules for her.  Come on here....he was sucking on one woman's nipple and fingering the other.  REALLY GIDEON??!!!  You are a 12 billion dollar business man.  How stupid of you to act this way.  And Sylvia don't confuse us...either he uses the f@#$ pad for all  his sexual encounters  like the first 4 books eluded us too...or he didn't...which is it. It was with Eva only that he lost control away from his f@#$ pad  or so we were to believe.

This is a conversation (from Bared to You) between Gideon and Eva in a VIP section of one of his clubs. There he is afraid of being overheard simply discussing sex, but a few months before he was supposedly performing sex acts on 2 women in a similar environment! 

"I can't get you alone for more than a few minutes at a time." - G
"Because the only thing you want to talk about is what you have to do to get laid!" - E
"Christ, Eva," he hissed, squeezing my hand. "Keep your voice down!" 

This part of the book really frustrated me. There was no need to contradict a message that had been reinforced throughout the 4 previous books to create drama betweenGideva. It was just so unnecessary. Especially as Eva would likely have had a similar reaction to something more innocent like a woman straddling and kissing him,which would have been more realistic and true to his character. 

Edited by Rogue
Posted too early