* * One with You -- SPOILER THREAD * *

admin

Someone just instagrammed the following statement from Sylvia (I don't know where Sylvia posted this)

One of the questions that came up a lot over the last week that I've been on tour is whether we'll see the Crossfire Series crew again.  I think the answer to the question would be of interest to many here, too so I'll share it.

All of my stories, whether they're contemporary, historical, paranormal or futuristic, take place in the same fictional universe (otherwise known as the crazy place that's my imagination).  There are no silos for me.  I don't end a book or series and close the door on that world and those characters to move on to another world where those characters don't exist.

Gideon and Eva reached a place where they don't need me any more.  There are other characters who do, so I'll spend time helping them.  In the meantime, Ireland will grow up (she's underage now!) and when she's ready, I'll help her too.  This might seem tangled for some, but in my mind, they're moving forward at the pace they set.

Every writer has writing and creative processes that are unique to them and the limitless boundaries of one fictional universe is part of mine.  The timeline in my mind will continue on indefinitely in either direction and all of my characters travers that pathway with each other.  I never say goodbye, only farewell until we see each other again.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The above quote is on Facebook.  And it's getting a great reception.

Someone has mentioned not liking the thought of Ireland in a steamy novel and how no boyfriend for her could be as hot as Gideon - Sylvia's response "But he'd have to be quite a man to go toe-to-toe with Gideon, who we all know will be his usual super protective self."

I wonder how long this Ireland spin off novel has been in the works ? If it is set in stone it would be the perfect way to include Gideva because they both love Ireland to death and will certainly be a big part of her life. It will also be able to showcase the aftermath of the break up of Chris and  Elizabeth's marriage and the healing or not of their family. I cant imagine Eva forgiving Elizabeth anytime soon.  

5 minutes ago, sscrph said:

I wonder how long this Ireland spin off novel has been in the works ? If it is set in stone it would be the perfect way to include Gideva because they both love Ireland to death and will certainly be a big part of her life. It will also be able to showcase the aftermath of the break up of Chris and  Elizabeth's marriage and the healing or not of their family. I cant imagine Eva forgiving Elizabeth anytime soon.  

She began writing Bared in 2011 so presumably the entire series took place that year or maybe 2012.  Ireland was 17.  So in 2016 Ireland is 21/22.  Maybe she needs to be 24 (like Eva was) so we may have to wait a couple of years.  No problem with that as we have the Blacklist books to come and fill the interim.

14 minutes ago, D500 said:

She began writing Bared in 2011 so presumably the entire series took place that year or maybe 2012.  Ireland was 17.  So in 2016 Ireland is 21/22.  Maybe she needs to be 24 (like Eva was) so we may have to wait a couple of years.  No problem with that as we have the Blacklist books to come and fill the interim.

Or it can mean that Ireland is NOW 17...I think "not being underage" in the US means 21?(Where i come from it's 18)...So we have to wait at least 4 years? If I'm correct...

1 minute ago, Sandra_1705 said:

Or it can mean that Ireland is NOW 17...I think "not being underage" in the US means 21?(Where i come from it's 18)...So we have to wait at least 4 years? If I'm correct...

Since the Crossfire series only covered 3-4 months Ireland is still 17 going on 18.  I'm thinking that Sylvia is waiting for her to be in college or almost graduating....23-24 years old.  We don't want her to be "jail bait" or Gideon would really flip out!!

Yes but the existing Crossfire series is set in the year 2012 which is now in the past - even though the last book only came out this week it is about a period four years ago.  So in real time Ireland is now 21 or 22 so if her story will be about her at age 23-24 and Sylvia and the character get into communication we could see a book in a couple of years or a little later. 

If she is 24, the age Eva has been in these books, Gideon can't complain if she has a good relationship.

Yes I agree if there will be such a novel Ireland would probably be in her 20's perhaps just finishing college and starting at Vidal Records or Cross Industries. If you remember in CBY when Ireland stayed overnite she wanted a glass of wine and Gideon said maybe in a couple of years and Ireland said by then you'll have kids it won't be as fun lol so Im sure it will be a ways off. As OWY ends Ireland is probably a senior in high school and off to Columbia  in the next year.

Hopefully she will not hook up with Brett Kline lol????????

1 hour ago, sscrph said:

Yes I agree if there will be such a novel Ireland would probably be in her 20's perhaps just finishing college and starting at Vidal Records or Cross Industries. If you remember in CBY when Ireland stayed overnite she wanted a glass of wine and Gideon said maybe in a couple of years and Ireland said by then you'll have kids it won't be as fun lol so Im sure it will be a ways off. As OWY ends Ireland is probably a senior in high school and off to Columbia  in the next year.

Hopefully she will not hook up with Brett Kline lol????????

LOL, I don't think Brett would be that stupid. We know the "Lily" in the Blacklist works  at her families record business. I'm thinking she is a cousin to the Vidal's or maybe even a cousin tho Gideon by her description.  This story spans "years" so maybe at the end of that is where we see Ireland as a grown woman. Then she gets her own  book. She has also made friends with Cary so maybe we get to see him, whole, mature, and living life in a good way. 

Fifty Shades to Crossfire, there is no comparison in my mind. Crossfire is much better, even though I was one of the people disappointed.

Fifty Shades was the first books I had read in years and got me hooked on reading. It was the dirty little secret of the mom's in the neighborhood. We just passed those books around  to each other like crack or something, lol. I liked "Darker" the best. Just as I like CBY best of the Crossfire books.   

Anyway, I'm looking forward to see what Sylvia has in store for us in the future. I just wish it was faster like everyone. 

Hi Lou totally agree with you about FIFTY SHADES while it wasn't a literary work of art I thought it was a really good  story and 80 million readers cant be wrong. Book 2 was also my favorite. In contrast the Crossfire books are addicting and 10 more wouldnt be enough. I too was one of the disappointed. EWY WAS MY FAVE OF THE FIVE and OWY wasn't the book that I had anticipated but 80percent of it was a really great read. Hope there is more to come????????

Ireland Vidal is also a kick Arse name to quote Eva just as Gideon and Eva Cross are.

1 hour ago, Sandra_1705 said:

Lots of different meanings to 'underage' in the U.S. but in the context Sylvia used it, I'm pretty sure she meant Ireland is still a 'minor' -- not yet a legal adult. Throughout the U.S., age 18 is considered legal adulthood. 'Underage' sometimes can refer to laws about teen-agers and sexual consent. Age of consent is part of state law, and each of the 50 states has its own set of laws that cover what is considered under-age teen-aged sex (sometimes called statutory rape). Some states have the age of consent set at 16, others 17, and some 18. I looked up New York state, and if the page I found was correct, 17 is the age of consent there.

On 4/11/2016 at 1:01 PM, D500 said:

D500 You make some good points but I have to disagree with some of your statements

Those posting on both Sylvia's page and other review sites are downright rude in many ways, they give away a lot of the story line and therefore some are saying they may not even bother reading the book. 

I completely agree.  I don't have a problem giving a low rating to a book if there are real literary points to make about legitimate items to review:  i.e. character development, connecting with the characters, plot inconsistencies, etc.  I don't get the "I will never buy another book by..."  Let's face it if Sylvia writes another great book many of the people who say they will never will. (I'll wait for the complete series in the future because I'm impatient.) I also don't know why GR allows reviews before a book is released.  How can you give a book 1* just because you think you won't like it?  Amazon and other sites block those early posts.  How can you hate a book just because?  Also spoilers are a no no.  Personally I like spoilers for books but don't post a spoiler and ruin a book for another reader.  

A lot of them are using pretty similar words, I wonder if somewhere there is a website where they get together and plan a mass review with low ratings, using similar words just because they are annoyed there are five books instead of three and they had to wait a total of four years to read all five books.  I am aware of one discussion section on Good Reads where the members have been slating Sylvia since CBY came out, and had pre-judged OWY before reading it.  Only a couple of their members picked up the subtle nuances of CBY, neither of those have returned to discuss OWY on there.

I still talk to some women who used to be on this site and without collaborating or discussing in advance ,everyone agreed that the first 80% of the book is just what we wanted.  The last 20% left a lot of unanswered questions, has an off the wall climax that doesn't fit (IMO), and leaves an unsatisfying ending to a much loved story.  That is a fact for many readers.  It is a legitimate criticism.  I'm sure it feels finished to SD or she ended the Gideva story the way it works for her but it doesn't work for all her readers.

If you speed read the books you are likely to miss things - I know my first read was pretty fast and I accepted I wouldn't pick everything up and would need to re-read immediately.  None of those spoiler reviews have added anything to what happened in the book, just churned over the same thing such as we need to know about Cary and the baby, if Gideon and Eva have children etc. and as some on here (and thankfully some reviewers) have pointed out we don't need to know that at this point, we just needed to know that G&E had come through and were working together, living together, that they had a future together. 

I did speed read my first pass.  I even read sections out of order.  Then I went back and read again and listened to the audio (I often get some additional hints from the nuances of the narrators).  After all those re-reads, I still stand by my belief that a couple extra lines would have given everyone what they needed.  I like Monica's backstory.  It explains a lot about her actions especially her over protective nature towards Eva.  I can imagine how she suffered feeling she let down her sister then her daughter.  For me this reveal would work better if it were earlier in the fifth book.  Allow the reader to wrap their head around the horror.  At the end it is so rushed I got whiplash.  More adjusting to Monica and less bachelor party disaster would change the whole "feel" for the reader.

Cary:  I get that this is Gideon & Eva's story but Cary was right there from the beginning.  Sylvia spent a lot of time developing his story and character; an equal amount of time needs to be devoted to wrapping up his story arc.  I'm not saying that I have to see his baby born.  I'm saying a few sentences definitively saying yes he is the father or no he isn't or Tat admitted that...  I don't have a problem with Trey undecided about where he wants his relationship to go.  I understand his caution completely. 

When people first began pointing out the 'unfinished' points I did wonder if maybe all the fans clamouring for more would mean Sylvia might have intended that to happen so she could write a sixth book, but I think the possible idea of characters being in other books or mentioned in them was a good way to have a new story line but finalise some of the things we'd like to know about.

I love multiple character series.  I would be very happy if Sylvia is planning a spinoff of an Ireland book, a Trey book, a Mark & Stephen book, even a Giroux book (that would be an interesting read).  If that is in the plan, why not let fans know at some point over the last couple years?  I read a book differently when I know a spinoff is coming.  Like Sylvia, I love the "In Death" series.  Nora Roberts is up to 40+ books in that series and her support characters' development continues with each book.  I would love that with Crossfire or a spinoff.

Maybe Sylvia wanted the ending of the books to be different to how other authors tend to end,

I know a writer writes his/her story as it comes to them.  I've read Hemingway's comments that writers don't have to follow the rules to be a good writer.  I agree with that too.  I also believe that a character that is developed extensively through all four books should have some closure unless there is a plan to spinoff that character.  My personal preference (I stay away from "The Lady or The Tiger" type books).  I want books to end with a feeling that I know good things are ahead.  For the most part I feel that for Gideon and Eva but there is a small flicker of doubt mostly centered around the way they handle life's big events.

perhaps it's to do with the tv series and the producers wanted something heavy at the end of the story?  I don't buy it.  TV producers don't have any problems re-writing books to work on TV.  A book is written for a reader.  A TV script from a book is adapted for a viewer.  Sylvia is an author, not saying she can't write a script,  however,  I don't believe she would insert a TV script at this point in the series.  As has been said, it's Sylvia's book, she can write what she likes how she likes.  But I do think it is very poor of her readers to write such vitriolic comments on her own page

I still see reviewers claiming that there are 5 books because of money grasping - she didn't need to extend this series to 5 books to do that, she could just have written other books of a similar genre as they would have sold because people had loved the Crossfire books and would have gone on to buy them.  Bollocks!  My biggest complaint about "fans" are the people still going on about Crossfire is supposed to be a 3 book series.  Sylvia said a long time ago that she wanted the story to have more realistic characters dealing with this situation of abuse.  I like more.  Some of the people that I know from book groups aren't consistent.  They cheered when K. Bromberg said she was going to add to the Driven series.  (I cheered too.) I can list many authors who added novella's, additional chapters on their websites, and full length novels to expand on their popular series.  I love getting additional information.

I think that there are legitimate reasons to not be happy with some of OWY and it isn't always a hateful.  There are very good writers in all genres who have turned out mediocre books.  OWY is not mediocre but not outstanding in my opinion. 

I guess I've rambled on enough for the time being....

Did anybody see Sylvia Day News, Sylvia Day releases last Crossfire novel. Can fans move on? I would like to know what everyone thinks.

I loved the Crossfire Series and FSOG because of the story lines, I work in Special Education (grades K-2) and see the results of what abuse can do to children, so to see (even in fictional stories) that some people can and do survive it makes me feel good.  I feel that that is why I love the story lines in Crossfire and FSOG.

It kind of sounds like she trying to dangle a carrot out there for Crossfire fans.    I'm sure she's well aware that some  her fans are a bit unhappy this may be her way to appease them or entice them to buy the new series.   I didn't read the tease and probably won't.

9 hours ago, patricia-ann said:

Did anybody see Sylvia Day News, Sylvia Day releases last Crossfire novel. Can fans move on? I would like to know what everyone thinks.

I loved the Crossfire Series. After OWY I don't care anymore about it. I am so dissapointed, that I won't re-read OWY. So yes, I've moved on already. I am reading  something else (New Species - L. Dohner).

No, I didn't see Sylvia Day News (like I said: I don't care).

Thanks everyone for discussion. It was nice to talk about the book.

I wonder how Corrine found out ghostwriter Deanna had slept with Gideon and held a grudge. Did Arash contact her directly himself? Or did he go through the publisher's legal department? I hope it was the former. Arash as more than the lawyer: him as the friend of GidEva and knowing that the mere idea of the book was upsetting to Eva.

55 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I wonder how Corrine found out ghostwriter Deanna had slept with Gideon and held a grudge. Did Arash contact her directly himself? Or did he go through the publisher's legal department? I hope it was the former. Arash as more than the lawyer: him as the friend of GidEva and knowing that the mere idea of the book was upsetting to Eva.

Gideon said that he had a past with the ghostwriter in the interview. 

11 hours ago, Seattle said:

It kind of sounds like she trying to dangle a carrot out there for Crossfire fans.    I'm sure she's well aware that some  her fans are a bit unhappy this may be her way to appease them or entice them to buy the new series.   I didn't read the tease and probably won't.

I agree, I'm not sure if she is backpedaling because of the backlash from OWY. If she just thought after all the unset "I'll tell everyone I'm going to write a book about Ireland." She's hinting we will see characters maybe in Blacklist or for sure in Ireland's book. For those who read the Blacklist teaser Gideon was already mentioned though not by name. Will that be it or will be actually get to "see" him. Even though the Blacklist seems to be in the third person or at least that first part it doesn't seem like Kane knows Gideon personally or at least the butler or who ever it is doesn't. Seeing he just saw Gideon on the TV talk show. These other book are also going to be a forever wait. The first Blacklist book comes out in 2017, and if her track record tells us anything who knows when the second book will be out. As for Ireland's book, I'm betting on years. She is "dangling the carrot" I'm not sure if I want to bit just yet. I'm skeptical. 

1 hour ago, itsmev883 said:

Gideon said that he had a past with the ghostwriter in the interview.     

That's true! Good point itsmev883....Corrinee probably watched the interview- and saw that Gideon said he knows the ghostwriter, then asked Deanna about it.

Can we talk about how good that interview was? I was really happy he gave it! Put so many people in their place. Still can't believe Eva went to the video launch of Golden...That whole night was so stupid on her part...Definitely leading Brett on...

Another question I had was...does that photo(Gideon w/ the two ladies)-and whoever published it- count as someone Gideon would 'take down' because it ran something that hurt Eva? Like in the beginning he said he would do whatever to keep photos of Eva from being published ( Nathan's pics I think?)

1 hour ago, Lou1974 said:

I agree, I'm not sure if she is backpedaling because of the backlash from OWY. If she just thought after all the unset "I'll tell everyone I'm going to write a book about Ireland." She's hinting we will see characters maybe in Blacklist or for sure in Ireland's book. For those who read the Blacklist teaser Gideon was already mentioned though not by name. Will that be it or will be actually get to "see" him. Even though the Blacklist seems to be in the third person or at least that first part it doesn't seem like Kane knows Gideon personally or at least the butler or who ever it is doesn't. Seeing he just saw Gideon on the TV talk show. These other book are also going to be a forever wait. The first Blacklist book comes out in 2017, and if her track record tells us anything who knows when the second book will be out. As for Ireland's book, I'm betting on years. She is "dangling the carrot" I'm not sure if I want to bit just yet. I'm skeptical. 

21 hours ago, Gcrossfire said:

I read first  3 chapters  of FSOG and I just gave  up lol  .. 

Lol! Glad i'm not the only one! Although I did read the whole thing just so I could figure out what everyone was going crazy for.

I agree Lou1974...I won't be holding my breath either. ...

It's the fact that this book took so long to come out...we had so much time to guess and wonder what would be in it. I wonder if she did read what her fans posted here on what they'd want to see in the final book? Not that she should write what the fans want, but....IDK....

The whole Monica thing ruined it for me. Idk how they could truly have a HEA (well two weeks later) after she lost her mother, and it was basically Gideon's fault.

1 hour ago, Lou1974 said:

I would be appeased if she would write a novella of OWY with an alternate ending and write about the Gideva wedding all her fans were waiting for. Monica, Stanton Cary, Victor and all of the family present and Chris standing up for Gideon... OMG you probably wouldnt even be able to read the pages of your book through all the tears that would be falling...what an amazing read that would be????????

1 minute ago, sscrph said:

I would be appeased if she would write a novella of OWY with an alternate ending and write about the Gideva wedding all her fans were waiting for. Monica, Stanton Cary, Victor and all of the family present and Chris standing up for Gideon... OMG you probably wouldnt even be able to read the pages of your book through all the tears that would be falling...what an amazing read that would be????????

That sounds perfect sscrph! I would be so happy with that! 

41 minutes ago, Nathalia said:

That's true! Good point itsmev883....Corrinee probably watched the interview- and saw that Gideon said he knows the ghostwriter, then asked Deanna about it.

She saw the interview, remember his mother came to his office saying Corrine was upset and he needed to go and make things right.

Can we talk about how good that interview was? I was really happy he gave it! Put so many people in their place. Still can't believe Eva went to the video launch of Golden...That whole night was so stupid on her part...Definitely leading Brett on...

That interview was awesome, it reminded me of how Gideon kissed Eva in the street when they first got together (to deal with Magdalene).   In my opinion I don't think Corrine will publish the book now.  He got on National TV and basically said they were young and dumb and what he felt for Corrine is no comparison to the love he has for Eva.  Along with the fact that he had a past with the ghostwriter and that she is married if she puts the book out she would look so desperate for attention. 

I cringed every time Eva was with Brett (especially when she took her up to her apartment), except when she was in San Diego and saw Brett with "the stand in" and when they met in Bryant Park :)

Another question I had was...does that photo(Gideon w/ the two ladies)-and whoever published it- count as someone Gideon would 'take down' because it ran something that hurt Eva? Like in the beginning he said he would do whatever to keep photos of Eva from being published ( Nathan's pics I think?)

I know that I am in the minority here but I enjoyed parts of this section.  I hated the photo it was extreme and seemed uncharacteristic of Gideon, however I really enjoyed how they handled each other after.  He was devastated that his past is being shoved in her face again, and she believes him completely without question. 

(I think the audio versions of the stories are AMAZING.  Just reading them I probably would have hated this scene but hearing it, hearing how wrecked he was...and she believed him.  I have listened to this part at least 10 times.)

Lol! Glad i'm not the only one! Although I did read the whole thing just so I could figure out what everyone was going crazy for.

I agree Lou1974...I won't be holding my breath either. ...

It's the fact that this book took so long to come out...we had so much time to guess and wonder what would be in it. I wonder if she did read what her fans posted here on what they'd want to see in the final book? Not that she should write what the fans want, but....IDK....

The whole Monica thing ruined it for me. Idk how they could truly have a HEA (well two weeks later) after she lost her mother, and it was basically Gideon's fault.