* * One with You -- SPOILER THREAD * *

admin

Interesting talk at the Apple Store tonight.  I was almost late but managed to get a seat, some had to stand.  Note how I am writing is my own interpretation of what she said in places as I couldn't take many notes and my memory is rubbish so this isn't a verbatim report.

One With You is the fastest selling paperback this year.  Even outsold Lee Child.

Her favourite character is Cary. 

The tv series is in active development, i.e. they are definitely working on it.  At the moment she expects the tv series to be the books as they are - if the books were to be made into films secondary characters would have to be dropped and Lionsgate and Sylvia felt the secondary characters were too important to the story to leave any of them out.

There were two previous drafts of the story - the first had no 'engine', I forget why the second was changed (lady next to me drew my attention away), the third obviously became the book we got.  All three drafts had the Monica ending - as usual it was the characters speaking to her that were telling the story and that was how they were telling it.  Sylvia said she spent time with her editors over the first two drafts discussing it, and when it came to the final draft and that part was still there, which she still wasn't sure was how the story should go, but after discussions with her editors they advised if that's what the characters are saying then that is how the story goes.

Asked about the questions readers had over 'unfinished' side character stories, as an example she mentioned 'is Tatiana's baby Cary's? and pointed out that at no time had Cary queried if it was his baby, although Eva had.  Cary was happy with the fact there was a baby and it might be in his life. 

She also mentioned that One With You ends as it does because Gideon and Eva are at a point where they didn't need her any more, if she had continued writing to finalise all the side character stories, Gideon and Eva would have become side characters in the books about themselves which is not her way of writing. 

She also explained how her writing is about one 'universe' and some characters in books are descended from characters in her historical novels and how a lot of people had spotted Gideon in the So Close excerpt.  She went on to say that Ireland will get a series! and that she expects Gideon to act the possessive big brother.  No timescale was given, just the fact that Ireland needs to be of age.  Ireland goes to Columbia, Lily from So Close goes to Columbia.

A question was asked about Renegade Angels - she's no longer contracted to write any more of those books and although it sounds like she may write more at the moment she is contracted to various books and until those contracts are fulfilled, she cannot begin any other writing that is not contracted. 

If I remember anything else I'll be back.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

21 hours ago, shan12 said:

I'm a big fan of Raine Miller : THE BLACKSTONE AFFAIR.

There are 4 books in total with spin off books of secondary characters if it interests you.  I'm a picky reader (as you can tell in my previous posts). I have no complaints about this series. 

Book 1.   NAKED

Book 2.  ALL IN

Book 3.  EYES WIDE OPEN

Book 4.  RARE AND PRECIOUS THINGS

Loved these books!

44 minutes ago, D500 said:

Just remembered she also said that of course Gideon would appear in the new novels as they are about Manhatten and Gideon owns half of Manhatten!!!!!

I'm impressed with the interview you were at she was able to say more there than she was when I saw her because I saw her the day before OWY came out. I've read it 3 times so far and am on the second half of the audio version. After so many times I was able to pick up on a couple of closures like with Magdelene how she was looking better and was with her boyfriend Gage which it said you could tell he was in love with her.  I'm still devastated that the series is over.  But time heals all wounds haha at least that's what I'm telling myself. 

On 4/18/2016 at 11:21 AM, patricia-ann said:

I am having a hard time letting this series go, I need to find something to read now that will make me very  very happy at the end, I am looking for a series that is completed. Anyone have any ideas. I will reread Crossfire probably many many times again. I have read OWY 3 times and I do see closure on a couple of things I think I am just sad that it's over.

sme I hope you are feeling better, I haven't spoken to you in about a week.

D500, jmhope, sscrph and Nathalia I hope all of you are well also. Let me know what series you suggest I would appreciate it.

my all time favorite is the Inside Out Series by Lisa Rene Jones. Lots of book! Kind of starts out slow, but I really loved Chis and Sara.  I was holding out judgment of what series was going to be my favorite till OWY came out. It lost. The Blackstone Affair is really good, I'm just irritated that the spin off books left readers hanging, so don't read those.    

I'm in the same boat. I've read a few good books over the past couple of weeks. Any suggestions of good books would be appreciated  

The Manwhore series by Katie Evans,  is also good. I held of reading the first book just because the title kind of thew me off. I'm so glad I read those books. A spin off is coming next week, can't wait for that . 

A lot of book choices have been given and I appreciate them all I will be checking into them.  I think a series about Ireland will be a long way down the road. I would like to know when the TV series would be out but I think that will take a long time also. I am just a very impatient person and would like it all now hahaha.

I truly enjoy these chats and comments with everyone, thank you for sharing.

I have probably reread FSOG, The Fixed Trilogy, Hudson, The Beautiful Series and of course the Crossfire Series 6-8 times, I know I'm crazy but when I find a story I love I like to reread them. LOL

21 minutes ago, patricia-ann said:

A lot of book choices have been given and I appreciate them all I will be checking into them.  I think a series about Ireland will be a long way down the road. I would like to know when the TV series would be out but I think that will take a long time also. I am just a very impatient person and would like it all now hahaha.

I truly enjoy these chats and comments with everyone, thank you for sharing.

I have probably reread FSOG, The Fixed Trilogy, Hudson, The Beautiful Series and of course the Crossfire Series 6-8 times, I know I'm crazy but when I find a story I love I like to reread them. LOL

I do the same thing patricia-ann and I have read all those as well . I am actually thinking of rereading Crossfire for the 20th time starting with BTY. When I get to OWY  I will just stop right before their night out to the charity Gala. Even though I hated the racy photo of Gideon I loved when he appeared on the NY talk show. The whole series was such a great read  it is hard to let go. I too think the Ireland spin off will be a long  time  coming. The new excerpt makes me think that Lily  ran away from Kane just like Eva wanted  to run because she didn't want to lose herself in Gideon...oh well only  time will tell.

6 minutes ago, sscrph said:

I do the same thing patricia-ann and I have read all those as well . I am actually thinking of rereading Crossfire for the 20th time starting with BTY. When I get to OWY  I will just stop right before their night out to the charity Gala. Even though I hated the racy photo of Gideon I loved when he appeared on the NY talk show. The whole series was such a great read  it is hard to let go. I too think the Ireland spin off will be a long  time  coming. The new excerpt makes me think that Lily  ran away from Kane just like Eva wanted  to run because she didn't want to lose herself in Gideon...oh well only  time will tell.

I start with one of those series and keep rotating even the side story in the Beautiful Series. I've also read the After Series and the final one called Before. I love the Maddox brothers haha I am hoping that Grey Darker will come out hopefully on Christian's birthday in June or Ana's birthday in September or Darker in June and Freed in September would be great. Did you read that fan fiction of FSOG and Crossfire combined that I can say I did not like it at all but that's my opinion.

7 hours ago, eve said:

If the VIP room was in one of Gideon's clubs then I assume it was private because he would have made sure of it ...so in other words the stalker-photographer was able to penetrate Gideon's security team...it just seems very unlikely to me .

In the book it is exactly said that it was "private VIP booth" :)) If someone can followed Gideon and took the picture, that it was clearly semi-public place (like the photos on the web)...so we as the readers were misled so long about Gideon's sex life before Eva and his change.

Annoyed with myself for forgetting the photo - could have asked her last night!!

There's a variety of booths in that google search, but remembering that Gideon was supposed to be private about his 'goings on' and it was presumably one of his own clubs, then I'm with sscrph on this.  Google search won't always find what you ask for (e.g. search for a particular painting by an artist and you will get pictures not by that artist, not even of the same title).  So some of the 'booths' in that search are probably not what Sylvia imagined.  I bet the club she envisaged was in New York (after all if Gideon were to follow through he'd have to be near the f**pad), and in NY there will be plenty of VIPS who do want a good level of privacy.  I bet some booths do turn into rooms, whether because there are curtains to pull or doors that can be pulled aside so the front of the booth is open, or folded back to give privacy.  We don't know if the photo was taken looking through a door at them or from above.  It's possible if the three involved in the photo were very carried away they would not notice someone putting a camera through the curtains or opening a door to be able to see, but I suspect it is more likely the photo was taken from above where those involved would be less aware of an intrusion.

" I bet the club she envisaged was in New York (after all if Gideon were to follow through he'd have to be near the f**pad), and in NY there will be plenty of VIPS who do want a good level of privacy. "

I am so sorry...but that is not correct - if the level of privacy was good, how somebody took the picture? (there is no answer, because that doesn't make any sense).

"We don't know if the photo was taken looking through a door at them or from above.  "

We know that. The photo is described in OWY. (There is not any "through a door" in OWY or "from above").

In NY night club are the same as in any other places, besides if it was in the room, there would be written "room" not "booth", don't you think?

I think the OWY is the answer to question about Gideon's sex life before Eva. There is no point to imagine something, that isn't written there. Sylvia Day isn't the first author, who changed main character's personality. That is always disappointing (but authors have the right to do so). We thought that Gideon was very private and possessive man, and now we know that he wasn't. Isn't that quite simple?

Good morning everyone :) 

This  is when I hoped Sylvia would have commented and explained the situation . It is very confusing . I agree that his actions were very different from what we saw in the other books. I know it all comes down to control. Which of course we all know he has to have . But if he really did act like that before Eva , it would  change my whole perception of the first couple of scenes  with the two of them. Ugh !! Very confusing . But I love them and Sylvia , it's her story to tell . I probably have to come to terms with never getting the answer. :( 

2 minutes ago, Danielle 1227 said:

Good morning everyone :) 

This  is when I hoped Sylvia would have commented and explained the situation . It is very confusing . I agree that his actions were very different from what we saw in the other books. I know it all comes down to control. Which of course we all know he has to have . But if he really did act like that before Eva , it would  change my whole perception of the first couple of scenes  with the two of them. Ugh !! Very confusing . But I love them and Sylvia , it's her story to tell . I probably have to come to terms with never getting the answer. :( 

You have all the answers in OWY. That's quite clear.

The photo was either taken straight on at the couple or taken from above them (which is a covert way of papparazi snapping people in private without them realising a photo was being taken, I can't find anything in the book that confirms how - just that Eva can see  U shaped sofa, she can see black velvet curtains (so the 'booth' has curtains unlike a lot of those in the google search), she can see bottles on a table.  A brunette reclined on a mound of pillows and what Gideon is doing to her, she can see a second brunette draped over his back one thigh hooked over him, legs spread and his hand beneath her skirt, all of which could be seen if the photographer was in front of them or sneaking a photo from above.  The fact is that a photo was taken in a private booth with curtains and to be able to do so without the occupants of the booth being aware my own feeling is a photo from above is more likely as curtains could make a noise when poking a camera lens through, and to have got a photo with such detail on itI just felt that an above shot was more likely, but I don't have much knowledge of how this type of papparazi shot is taken.

The description of the photo in the book could be either straight on or from above, Sylvia does not say.  And of course it is Eva that says it is a private VIP booth - she would not know if it were a booth or a room.  Not disputing either of us are right or wrong, but most of what we knew about Gideon's method of having sex came from Eva's thoughts throughout the first three books and we know Gideon was sparing with telling her things so she could have assumed certain things. 

On Facebook Samara directs people to the Q&A section of this forum so maybe we should pose a question about this on there and once Sylvia has finished her book tour (which is two more days here in the UK) she may answer us. 

Scrolling through some reviews on Amazon and Good Reads people mention Cary, Trey, Monica, Gideon's mother, brother, step-father, Landons, Lucases etc. etc. but not one person has mentioned the photo and how out of character the incident depicted  seems to be. 

I think OWY give us clear answer to that question, don't you think?

Please, don’t forget that thoughts and opinions about main character’s should be validated by their acts (not their own thoughts).

I could think that I am the queen of the world, my boyfriend could think that I am queen of the world, but that doesn't make me queen of the world (especially if I am a hillbilly).

Gideon think about himself as possessive and private, Eva think about Gideon the same, but ...

The more I think about the photo the less it bothers me. Throughout the series Gideon mentions how he only has sex at the f*uck pad, he wasn't having sex with these women, it was just foreplay/messing around. Gideon is very smart and has so many resources available to him, he must have made sure that the booth was as private as possible. Hall was sneaky, if he was able to get close enough, and pull a gun on them at the dinner, I am sure taking a sneaky photo in a loud club wouldn't be much of stretch. This scenario doesn't change how Gideon was with Eva, from my understanding he wasn't possessive with other women, he used them, and tossed them to the side. Even though Gideon and Eva mess around with exhibitionism, they've both mentioned several times how he would never truly risk having her exposed, he was too possessive with her. There's a clear contrast to how he is with Eva and how he was with other women.

I've read hundreds or maybe thousands of books in my life - so when I see something like that, I take it exactly as it is written. Sometimes authors write INCOHERENT stories. This one is one of those (for me).

There is so many better books written by other authors.....so I am ok with that. I lost some time for the Crossfire series so that is what really bothers me. (I've read it, because 1-3  books were interesting and quite unique)

P.S. Some threads in OWY are improbable....

Ok so this may sound crazy and I know Sylvia probably left it out on purpose bc of the photo but I want to know what Gideon did on Saturday night when he said it was enjoyable enough with a blur of alcohol and music was he dancing or just sitting back and watching while drinking, and what did Eva do on Saturday night all it said was she was hungover and Shawna was hoarse from laughing was Eva out dancing like when she was back in EWY that girls night out when everyone thought she was dancing, she said she was dancing like a bad girl. 

I've never been to a private vip area (like Gideon said) or even a private vip booth (like Eva said) so I can only go off of my imagination giving the details they stated. 

Eve, I'm with you 100%.  The more I think about the Crossfire series, the more questions I have.

Why did he only use the one hotel room as a f#$@ pad? Besides needing control and take the upper hand over the woman he brought there, this wasn't really well explained.  Was it because he always use the toys he stored there?  Was it because before Eva, he could not have vanilla sex? Yet, Corrine doesn't strike me as a freak in bed. She seems pretty straight laced...so we are to believe he tied her up, used toys, that he was  "different with her" (as he told Eva in the elevator scene, when he had to cool off before he f#$%ed   her)  I would have liked more back story on the pad. 

At the end of Bared to You, he explained his relationship with Corrine to Eva, saying it was just sex with her.  Yet Corrine did produce pictures that proved otherwise.  They did have a relationship outside the f#$% pad.  Time at the beach, bonfires, sight seeing, he met her parents. They were engaged...a bit more than a sexual relationship. I would have liked a couple pages out of Corrine's book to see how he was with her.  What their sex life was like...did he tie her down, did he control her, use toys on her?  How he acted when they were out in New York, around her family.  She told Eva he was very possessive over her, but he was with Eva as well, and they had more than a sexual relationship..so what was the difference between the two woman. We know Gideon stretched the truth to Eva, but he really didn't want her to see the pictures Corrine had or have the book come out.  We have all dated, married someone who had a past...was Gideon's explanation of his history with Corrine a bit down played so not to hurt Eva?  But why confuse they readers later on with pics of their time outside the f#$% pad, acting like a normal couple.

In California at Brett's concert, two woman approached him, and he said in the past he would have control those predators....well no, he would have walked away cause....he wasn't near his f#$% pad, so nothing would have happened.. RIGHT????  So all those times in Vegas buying up property (before Eva), and in Italy when he met Arnaldo....no woman for Gideon???  Maybe just FOREPLAY....in a club's booth cause we know he could do that !!!!!! 

5 hours ago, D500 said:

Annoyed with myself for forgetting the photo - could have asked her last night!!

There's a variety of booths in that google search, but remembering that Gideon was supposed to be private about his 'goings on' and it was presumably one of his own clubs, then I'm with sscrph on this.  Google search won't always find what you ask for (e.g. search for a particular painting by an artist and you will get pictures not by that artist, not even of the same title).  So some of the 'booths' in that search are probably not what Sylvia imagined.  I bet the club she envisaged was in New York (after all if Gideon were to follow through he'd have to be near the f**pad), and in NY there will be plenty of VIPS who do want a good level of privacy.  I bet some booths do turn into rooms, whether because there are curtains to pull or doors that can be pulled aside so the front of the booth is open, or folded back to give privacy.  We don't know if the photo was taken looking through a door at them or from above.  It's possible if the three involved in the photo were very carried away they would not notice someone putting a camera through the curtains or opening a door to be able to see, but I suspect it is more likely the photo was taken from above where those involved would be less aware of an intrusion.

Unless one of those girls had a camera and got paid by the so-called stalker photographer that is the only scenario I can envision that would be able to dupe security...

Editor's oversight no question about it..

On the third re- read of OWY it is definitely mentioned that it is one of Gideon's clubs...

1. I think that editors didn't oversight. I think Sylvia Day wrote this on purpose. (She is,  after all, very experienced writer, maybe not with series about one and the same couple...and probably that is the main problem here).
  2. Of course that is Gideon's club, but that fact doesn't change anything (the private man would never played with girls in night club - because always it is a chance that somebody will sneak up and will see what he were doing - that is quite simple, isn't it? What kind of man in control would do that? Really? )   Readers are not stupid.
  3. And Monica...who belives in her story? After 1-4 books we only new that she needs money very badly, and that she loves Victor. In OWY: we are learning that Stanton's bodygourd are keeping information from his boss, very dangerous information - I may add - no one in their right mind would do so (because - helloooooooo - she killed her first husband). She is potentially dangerous for her new husband. ohhh...and the best  - she has got millions - and she still need rich husband for her sister...(it is the explanation for her actions) ...that's ridiculous, don't you think?

etc...etc...