Favorite First Lines in Books

I decided that since I put some of my own on Alison's site I'd pick a few from my TBR pile.

1. They'd told him he wouldn't feel it when the energy beam ripped him apart. 'Jane's Warlord' by Angela Knight

2. She woke to the knowledge that she was a murderess and that she would kill again. 'Dark Destiny' by Christine Feehan

3. Hey, where's Cinderella? 'Getting What You Want' by Kathy Love

4. Tillie Howard supposed the night could get worse, but in all truth, she couldn't imagine how. 'Lady Whistledown Strikes Back' by Julia Quinn, et al

5. When the thunder bolt hits, duck, baby, duck...'Tall, Dark, and Cajun' by Sandra Hill

6. Sophie Dempsey didn't like Temptation even before the Garveys smashed into her '86 Civic, broke her sister's sunglasses, and confirmed all her worse suspicions about people from a small towns who drove beige Cadillacs. 'Welcome to Temptation' by Jennifer Crusie

7. Francesca Honeycomb (oh, come on, if you think that in my fantasy life I'd be noble enough to keep the name my parents gave me you've got me all wrong) lived a life without compromise. 'Dog Handling' by Clare Naylor

8. Nothing but nothing scared Charlee Champagne except black widow spiders and wealthy, long-legged, brown-eyed, handsome men with matinee-idol smiles and a day's growth of beard stubble. 'License to Thrill' by Lori Wilde

9. I'd been waiting for the vampire for years when he walked into the bar. 'Dead Until Dark' by Charlaine Harris

10. Two things pain can do for you: sharpen you up or dull you down. 'I Thirst For You' by Susan Sizemore

This final one is actually two lines, but it captures you all the same.

11. Carlotta Anne Fairleigh was coming out. Unfortunately, what she was coming out of at the moment was both her elaborate ball gown and the second-story window of her aunt Diana's Mayfair mansion. 'One Night of Scandal' by Teresa Medeiros

These all sucked me into the story. There are many more, but I've been a blog hog today, so we'll leave it at eleven. :pale:

Jordan