Now, who wants to talk about how pathetic Magdalene is (on the female side) vs Trey (on the male side)?

It just occurred to me that soon after Magdalene accidentally walked in on Gideon and Eva in the library, Christopher walked right in -- I'll bet on purpose. While Gideon and Eva were still wrapped around one another. Because Christopher stayed and started talking to Gideon, and her asked Eva if everything was OK. Gideon finally got him to leave.

What a creep!!!!! How much you wanna bet Magdalene came running out of the house in tears, Christopher spotted her and asked her what was going on, she told him what had just happened, and Christopher decided to go see for himself. Maybe in the hopes of interrupting Gideon reconciling with Eva. Or at least interrupt some hot sex Gideon was getting.

And maybe left the library so h**** that he immediately found Magdalene and led her away to a private spot for some "comfort." If big brother Gideon was getting some action at the party, well Christopher needed to get some too.

If this is true, it was just deserts that soon after, he got secretly videotaped by someone (Cary) who sent it to Eva, and then Gideon found out, and ultimately Magdalene found out. It'd be neat if in Entwined, Eva and/or Gideon got to throw the tape's existence in Christopher's face. To the best of Eva's knowledge (and thus our knowledge) Christopher doesn't yet know the tape even exists, let alone who shot it and who has seen it.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi LNCronan,

I just wanted to clarify a few points with your posting.

• No child who comes from a wealthy family necessarily has money. Some kids have trust funds that are “given†to them when they reach a certain age. So in that respect Gideon would have been just like every other rich kid. A kid with rich parents.

• If Magdalene didn’t want to hang out with Gideon while they were at school, the that would give Gideon very good reason why he never wanted to date her…â€If she never liked me at school, then why would I give her the time of day now?â€

• Magdalene most likely went to a private all girls’ school.

• Regardless of whom his mother married, Gideon is still the son of Elizabeth Vidal and as such would be entitled to one third of her entire estate. Period! Regardless of whether Vidal Sr. ever left in the will, it would be a moot point. He would be included in her will.

• If Magdalene were disloyal to Gideon in his childhood, then I am absolutely sure that Gideon wouldn’t give her the time of day now.

LN Cronan:

Do you think that Magdalene knew Gideon growing up---like middle school/high school...

Since their mothers knew each other, I thought that maybe they lived close to each other? 

Maybe these books are about redemption?

No matter what dark place that one comes from, there is always the hope that one can become a better person.

And the unconditional love of another human being is the catalyst to becoming a better person...

Hi AMC,

I hope it is ok that I jump in here with a quick response. I think that if Gideon knew Magdalene as a child, it was probably through his mother. When the mothers would get together they would bring their children along.

I found that often happened in my childhood. My mother would get together with one of her friends and she would take me along with her. The assumption was that I would play with the other lady's children.

Hiya GiGi!

Quick couple of things (here I go with my knowledge of various areas of United States law.)

The nature of Geoffrey Cross' financial crimes would have left his widow and child with nothing. Absolutely nothing. Every cent the man had was stolen by defrauding investors. Anything left in accounts would be seized by the government and eventually used to help pay back victims at least a little, whatever the government could recover. Even every valuable possession the couple owned, husband and wife, would be seized and ultimately auctioned off. Because all of it was bought with stolen money obtained by fraud.

This is what happened in the real-life criminal case of Bernie Madoff, the biggest Ponzi schemer ever to get caught. Here's a strange (and sad) true story: when authorities showed up with court paperwork to physically throw Mrs. Madoff out of the couple's New York City showplace apartment, Mrs. Madoff went to get a coat of the closet to wear as she left. It was a fur coat. She was told she couldn't take it. They forced her to pick a cloth coat. Talk about harsh. Her furs went on the auction block, along with her jewelry, every valuable thing in that apartment. Plus the very apartment itself was sold. The money went to the government, which divided up what it could to the victims Madoff defrauded.

How do you think Christopher Vidal Sr. got his stunning wife so quickly? She was desperate - and he had money. She's have married the first rich guy who asked. Why does she stay in the marriage? Same deal - money. It's all her husband's money. She lost everything she had when her first husband got caught.

Regarding inheritance laws in the United States, offspring are not automatically entitled to anything. In cases where a parent dies without leaving a will, usually the estate will be divided up in equal shares. It's up to the courts to decide. But in the case of parents who do write wills -- and the very rich always have wills, some of them very complicated estate planning arrangements to lessen the tax blow of inheritance taxes -- the people making the wills have sole discretion on who gets what. Or does not get anything. Rich parents can disinherit kids. Or spouses.

In the Vidal marriage, the money belongs to Vidal Sr. Whatever valuables Elizabeth has, they're things he paid for. If he wants, he can leave her without a cent when he dies. Same deal with his biological kids - they could get nothing if that's what he decided. He could leave every cent to charity if he wanted.

My guess: his will leaves the bulk of his fortune to Christopher Jr. and Ireland, with probably a healthy chunk for his widow. He'd leave Gideon absolutely nothing. So if Gideon weren't the self-made rich man he is, he'd face a future without financial wealth.

In fact, technically as soon as Gideon turned age 18, Gideon's mother and her husband were no longer legally obligated to provide any necessities any longer. They no longer had to pay for a roof over his head, food to eat, clothes on his back, medical care -- nothing. They could have thrown him onto the street. When he was a minor, they had to keep him and provide basics. And he had to live with them. At 18, he's a man. He can move out if he wants. They can refuse to pay another cent to support him if they want.

Of course they didn't throw him out. That would look very bad socially. It also would look bad socially if they failed to send him to a good college. It's likely they paid the tuition for Columbia University. It's obvious Gideon moved out of the Vidal mansion soon after he became an adult. My guess: even though Columbia is right in New York City, Gideon probably moved into the dorms as a freshman then eventually maybe an apartment. His parents might have been giving him "board" as well, in other words paying for tuition plus a place to live plus enough money to cover bills. Not for his own benefit. But because Christopher Sr. would look bad cutting off his stepson. And Elizabeth probably wouldn't have let him anyway. It may be all his money, but she has a say.

P.S. My guess is Gideon's own will (he'd certainly have one) leaves the bulk of his fortune to charities. If he died in a plane crash or car accident tomorrow, some charities for child abuse victims and shelters for abused women would get a LOT of money. He's probably left healthy bequests to various people he cares about. I'm sure Angus would get a lot of money in thanks for his loyalty. Gideon may have made provisions in his will for Ireland. As for his mother? Doubt it. As for his stepfather and stepbrother? Not a single cent, I'll bet.

Hiya GiGi!

Quick couple of things (here I go with my knowledge of various areas of United States law.)

The nature of Geoffrey Cross' financial crimes would have left his widow and child with nothing. Absolutely nothing. Every cent the man had was stolen by defrauding investors. Anything left in accounts would be seized by the government and eventually used to help pay back victims at least a little, whatever the government could recover. Even every valuable possession the couple owned, husband and wife, would be seized and ultimately auctioned off. Because all of it was bought with stolen money obtained by fraud.

This is what happened in the real-life criminal case of Bernie Madoff, the biggest Ponzi schemer ever to get caught. Here's a strange (and sad) true story: when authorities showed up with court paperwork to physically throw Mrs. Madoff out of the couple's New York City showplace apartment, Mrs. Madoff went to get a coat of the closet to wear as she left. It was a fur coat. She was told she couldn't take it. They forced her to pick a cloth coat. Talk about harsh. Her furs went on the auction block, along with her jewelry, every valuable thing in that apartment. Plus the very apartment itself was sold. The money went to the government, which divided up what it could to the victims Madoff defrauded.

How do you think Christopher Vidal Sr. got his stunning wife so quickly? She was desperate - and he had money. She's have married the first rich guy who asked. Why does she stay in the marriage? Same deal - money. It's all her husband's money. She lost everything she had when her first husband got caught.

Hi LNCronan,

I read your posting and I just wanted to clarify, that if Christopher Vidal Sr. died first, then his wife would be the sole beneficiary and as such when Elizabeth Vidal died, the estate would have been divided three ways.

I also suspect that before Elizabeth Vidal married Christopher Sr. she would have made sure that documents were drawn up to ensure that "her" child was also taken care of.

For as desperate as Elizabeth Cross may have been at the time somehow I don't think that she would have been that short sighted as to completely neglect Gideon. Let's remember that Elizabeth Vidal was/is a very beautiful woman and quite frankly I think she could have had a few options for marriage (even with dire circumstances).

If Christopher Vidal Sr. died first, his estate is divided up the way he decided in his will. Elizabeth gets to automatically keep only what she owns outright (like her personal valuables) plus anything they owned jointly (like a house in both their names -- and that's if Christopher even put her name on the deed when he bought the place). That's it for what she is actually entitled to - things that are flat-out her's plus anything her rich husband put in both their names.

She does not automatically anything else, especially his own personal fortune he had long before he married her. She doesn't even automatically get any possession he owns outright, like his car if it's registered just in his name, or the $50,000 watch he probably wears. She's not entitled to anything that's solely in his name or is an outright personal possession of his. He and he alone got to decide beforehand, when he wrote his will, what she does and does not get that belongs to him. He can decide to leave all of it, some of it, or none of it to her. He could leave every cent instead to his kids, and cut her off with none of his own fortune, if he wanted. He could leave all of his shares in Vidal Records to his son, Christopher Jr., and she has no say. He could leave a huge trust fund to Ireland, and again Elizabeth has no say. He could (likely would) not leave a single thing to Gideon.

Hi LNCronan,

I read your posting and I think that Elizabeth Vidal had more pull then we may be giving her credit for. I highly doubt that it would be ok for Christopher Vidal Sr. to donate a "majority" of his wealth to a charity if Elizabeth Vidal had anything to say about it.

She has an incredible standing with this man and the courts. She has born him two heirs, plus a step-son for which I am absolutely sure that she would have nailed him down before the marriage to be provided for. I know many wealthy people and the majority of them have primarily left their vast fortunes to their children/grandchildren etc. Yes it is true that many of them have left vast sums of money to their favourite charities, but it certainly isn't the bulk of their estate.

I think that Elizabeth Vidal approached the marriage like any person would negotiating a contract. She made sure that her needs, and the needs of ALL her children were met. Otherwise it wouldn't make sense for her to stay in the marriage. She could easily have divorced the "bum" and gotten at least half of his estate through a divorce settlement, alimony, and child support.

If you also factor in Gideon's abuse, Elizabeth Vidal could potentially have ruined Vidal Sr. financially. I don't doubt for a second that Elizabeth would have used her difficult pregnancy as a sympathy tool and maybe even her husbands' cover-up of the abuse. Bye bye money, bye bye wife and bye bye custody of his children.

Can I engage in a little Corrine bashing before I go offline for tonight? Magdalene's been getting too much attention today. Time to concentrate on the real rival determined to make Eva pull a permanent runner.

Many posters believe here that Gideon is not actively leading Corrine on; instead, she's just assuming they're going somewhere. Personally I think he's doing more than just letting her assume, but for the sake of temporary devil's advocate, I'll say that at the time Reflected ends, Gideon is still feeling a little guilty about poor Corrine still being in love.

How's that going to change when Gideon finds out from Eva the full extent of the stunt Corrine pulled that morning? Because if Eva believed 100% he was in that apartment and had just finished f****** Corrine, Eva never would have gotten into the car with him later than morning. He'd have never gotten that unexpected lucky break to finally do something that convinced her to "wait." 

Because Eva wasn't on her sudden crusade in order to win him back, like he probably hoped. She was doing it to lash out at the people who had helped damage Gideon so badly the two of them never worked out. Eva had already decided she and Gideon were over. Because his past had so damaged him that he would never let her in. The reason she got into that car was mostly, now that she finally had a chance to talk to him, to inform him she had already moved on. He took a huge chance by opening up -- and it worked. He finally got a promise she would "wait" for him to come back to her.

Corrine could have caused Eva to pull the permanent runner of all less than an hour before Gideon got his shot to get Eva to talk with him that morning. Because Eva would have believed he'd spent the whole night with Corrine -- slept alongside her -- in Corrine's own bed, not simply had a one-night stand at the hotel. Remember, Gideon got caught getting into his car with Corrine after work the night before. Not that Corrine knew Eva spotted that. But Gideon most certainly did. And Eva got mad too - flipped him off.

The only obstacle Gideon ever had to marrying Corrine, sharing a home (and thus bed) with Corrine is gone. Eva thought Gideon had been too much of a coward to break up with Eva before the party at the hotel -- she told him as much when she broke up with him. She'd think, because of Corrine, he was too much of a coward to come to Corrine's door to tell Eva to leave. He made Corrine do it instead. So Eva wouldn't even have listened to him later that morning. She'd be convinced he was a coward and a liar who'd been f***** Corrine less than an hour before. She'd probably slap his face if he tried to get her to talk to him.

So if his guilt over Corrine is replaced with rage at what would have happened if Eva had believed Corrine's dirty trick, Gideon no longer will have any hesitation to coldly use Corrine moving forward. It is clear now Corrine is actively trying to destroy Gideon's relationship with Eva by driving Eva away forever.

Hey GiGi, we most certainly agree Elizabeth Vidal would drive some hard bargains to make sure her husband provided for her and all three of her biological children: Gideon, Christopher and Ireland. But my point is that she'd have to persuade/coerce him actually do this.

Once he's dead, the only -- and absolute -- thing that would apply are the terms of his will. Which he was never obligated to show her beforehand. And which he could change behind her back any time he wanted. If he were dead and she suddenly found out he left her very little and left Gideon nothing, it would be tough luck. She would have no standing whatsoever to go to court to change that. If the will is properly executed (and a rich man with a large estate would have good lawyers to make certain it was) she would absolutely no choice but to accept whatever he had decided.

That, unfortunately, is the way probate court works in the United States. If a will is properly written (i.e. executed) it and it alone is the set of rules for dividing up whatever the deceased owned.

Hi LNCronan,

I think that Elizabeth Vidal did coerce Christopher Vidal Sr. prior to her marriage. She probably did what most women with that type of social philosophy do; she used her s****l prowess prior to marriage.

I suspect that if she were smart, she would have gotten all of these types of agreements down in writing in a legally binding way. I don’t think that Elizabeth Vidal is anyone’s fool.

Quickly this issue just reminded me of what Catherine Zeta Jones did when she married Michael Douglas. She had a prenuptial agreement set up and she received a sum of four million dollars up front in case her husband was to misbehave or stray. I could seriously see Elizabeth Vidal doing something similar, so that regardless of Vidal Sr. promises, she would have some financial security.

The US is notorious for its prenuptial agreements and divorce lawyers. One only need look at the Hollywood starlets and the messes they seem to make with their love lives. I suspect that Elizabeth Vidal is a highly shrewd individual who would have dotted her “I’s†and crossed her “t’sâ€. Sylvia ultimately knows, and time will tell.

Can I engage in a little Corrine bashing before I go offline for tonight? Magdalene's been getting too much attention today. Time to concentrate on the real rival determined to make Eva pull a permanent runner.

Many posters believe here that Gideon is not actively leading Corrine on; instead, she's just assuming they're going somewhere. Personally I think he's doing more than just letting her assume, but for the sake of temporary devil's advocate, I'll say that at the time Reflected ends, Gideon is still feeling a little guilty about poor Corrine still being in love.

How's that going to change when Gideon finds out from Eva the full extent of the stunt Corrine pulled that morning? Because if Eva believed 100% he was in that apartment and had just finished f****** Corrine, Eva never would have gotten into the car with him later than morning. He'd have never gotten that unexpected lucky break to finally do something that convinced her to "wait." 

Because Eva wasn't on her sudden crusade in order to win him back, like he probably hoped. She was doing it to lash out at the people who had helped damage Gideon so badly the two of them never worked out. Eva had already decided she and Gideon were over. Because his past had so damaged him that he would never let her in. The reason she got into that car was mostly, now that she finally had a chance to talk to him, to inform him she had already moved on. He took a huge chance by opening up -- and it worked. He finally got a promise she would "wait" for him to come back to her.

Corrine could have caused Eva to pull the permanent runner of all less than an hour before Gideon got his shot to get Eva to talk with him that morning. Because Eva would have believed he'd spent the whole night with Corrine -- slept alongside her -- in Corrine's own bed, not simply had a one-night stand at the hotel. Remember, Gideon got caught getting into his car with Corrine after work the night before. Not that Corrine knew Eva spotted that. But Gideon most certainly did. And Eva got mad too - flipped him off.

The only obstacle Gideon ever had to marrying Corrine, sharing a home (and thus bed) with Corrine is gone. Eva thought Gideon had been too much of a coward to break up with Eva before the party at the hotel -- she told him as much when she broke up with him. She'd think, because of Corrine, he was too much of a coward to come to Corrine's door to tell Eva to leave. He made Corrine do it instead. So Eva wouldn't even have listened to him later that morning. She'd be convinced he was a coward and a liar who'd been f***** Corrine less than an hour before. She'd probably slap his face if he tried to get her to talk to him.

So if his guilt over Corrine is replaced with rage at what would have happened if Eva had believed Corrine's dirty trick, Gideon no longer will have any hesitation to coldly use Corrine moving forward. It is clear now Corrine is actively trying to destroy Gideon's relationship with Eva by driving Eva away forever.

Hi LNCronan,

Your theory gives Corinne too much credit and Eva and Gideon’s love, not enough. Here’s something to consider:

• Eva realized that she was the first and only woman that he ever invited back to his apartment-not Corinne.

• Eva is the only woman that he ever slept beside-not Corinne.

• Yes Gideon may have some feelings toward Corinne and that is why he isn’t reaming her out.

• But Gideon realizes what Corinne has attempted to do so he uses her by allowing her to believe she may have a chance with him again. NOT!!! Punishment enough!

• The biggest obstacle Gideon had was that he didn’t really love Corinne. He just couldn’t admit that to himself.

• If Gideon truly loved Corinne he would have figured out a way to tell her about his past, his sleep issues, etc.

• Gideon’s actions directly support that he didn’t love Corinne enough to enter into or sustain a marriage.

Eva blindsiding Corrine that morning could have gone the other way, and Eva tottered on the brink for an instant, asking herself whether Gideon had just finished f***** Corrine minutes before. Fortunately, though, strong Eva kicked in, and she called Corrine on her lies. But now Gideon's got good reason to hate Corrine. Because if it had gone the other way, if Corrine's trick had worked, Gideon would never ever be able to get Eva back.

This is why I predict that in Entwined, Gideon will now ruthlessly use Corrine, instead of sitting there feeling guilty Corrine is assuming Gideon wants her back.

Re: the showdown with Corrine, in the end, Eva decided to confront the Corrine issue once and for all by going to the woman's apartment. I think having seen Corrine coming out of the Crossfire the evening before, this time actually with Gideon (proof she was at his office this time) and his hand at the small of her back was the thing that finally made Eva say "that's enough." Eva's purpose going after Corrine was to once and for all make sure Corrine had played a dirty trick, not had a nooner, at the Crossfire the morning after Corrine had crashed her way into Eva's world by showing up unannounced at that dinner. Imagine now in Entwined, with her and Gideon honestly talking about the whole Corrine act, Eva finally gives Gideon a full account of her (Eva's) side in the showdown Eva had with Corrine.

I'm taking this from Gideon's point of view about why I think he'd now hate Corrine.

• Remember, just below the surface, he's very insecure. He thinks (so we saw in the New Year's snippet, the one look we got into his head) Eva could have anyone and he still can't fathom why she wants him. Plus, Corrine's mere existence has caused Eva to pull past "runners" the thing that absolutely terrifies him. Even worse, Corrine coming back into the picture later prompted Eva to do a mini-cheat on Gideon by passionately kissing an old lover.
  • First time Corrine forced the issue of letting Eva know she (Corrine) existed was what Gideon would now see in hindsight as a manipulative stunt -- blindsiding Eva at a society fundraiser. Gideon immediately scrambled to try to make sure Corrine did not upset Eva. It wasn't enough though -- Eva pulled a runner. Gideon had to work hard in the ensuing argument to convince Eva he did not love Corrine. Still, Eva remained insecure. It's Eva's problem, but Gideon paid the price, because Eva's problem threatened to destroy their relationship.
  • The very next day, Corrine pulls something directly manipulative by messing with Eva's insecurities and raging jealousies. By trying to trick Eva into thinking Gideon f**** Corrine. What followed was serious arguing between Eva and Gideon about whether he was sexually exclusive with Eva. And Gideon had to have been angry at Corrine for deliberately upsetting Eva. We don't know what he did in response, because he never told Eva. But you can't tell me he didn't pick up the phone and call Corrine to demand she knock it off and steer clear of Eva.
  • Still, Eva's raging insecurities about Corrine continued, Gideon knew, despite all his assurances. It was her half-conscious motive for kissing Brett, for whom she still had old sexual feelings and a past sexual relationship. She's so insecure and jealous about Corrine, that Eva retaliated by making Gideon feel bad. Now the shoe is on the other foot -- Gideon's own raging insecurities are triggered. About the hold Brett still has, years later, over Eva. T** for tat indeed.
  • When Gideon had to (he felt) deliberately make Eva feel somewhat insecure about Corrine, so that Eva would convincingly play her part as short end on a love triangle, it backfired horribly. Based on circumstantial evidence, Eva concluded (reasonably) he was actually sleeping with Corrine again, because he was no longer sexually attracted to her (Eva). This time, he couldn't go after Eva to convince her otherwise. Too dangerous. His whole plan had blown up in his face. He had hoped Eva would have been simply insecure. Instead, Eva concluded he was a cheater. Eva pulled the ultimate runner -- she broke up with him. And he couldn't immediately run after her this time nor convince her otherwise.
  • And in the middle of all of this, Eva somehow "reconnected" with Brett over lunch, and Brett's publicly declaring he's going to try to get Eva back. At a time when Gideon had truly given Eva reason to be completely insecure and jealous about Corrine. If the mere existence of Corrine led Eva to kiss Brett, and Gideon taking Corrine out to a restaurant prompted Eva to do the exact same thing with Brett the very next day, what might the (false) belief Gideon was now sharing Corrine's bed cause? Eva taking Brett back? Or at the very least, sleeping with Brett for revenge to show Gideon how bad she felt he'd resumed sleeping with Corrine?
  • The mere thought of Brett making a play for Eva so scared Gideon that the next day Brett's declarations hit the Internet, Gideon did the very dangerous thing of re-establishing some contact with Eva. Because he had to try convince her to for him (Gideon) to come back. Still, he couldn't even tell her the truth it was all an act with Corrine and he always remained sexually faithful to Eva from day one of Corrine crashing back into his life.

So imagine his in-hindsight freak out when he learns Corrine tried the ultimate dirty trick -- fooling Eva into thinking he was now sharing Corrine's bed and life. No more hotel sex with Corrine. If Eva believed that, he'd never, ever be able to convince Eva otherwise.  If Eva had fallen for it, she would have concluded she (Eva) was right all along in her insecurity -- Corrine always had an unbreakable hold over Gideon, he never quit loving Corrine, and the only purpose Eva served in his life was to make him ready to go marry Corrine.

And that within one day of Corrine moving back to New York, he started cheating on Eva. Remember, the morning Eva had her showdown, Corrine tried to trick Eva into both thinking Gideon was in her bed that morning PLUS really DID have nooner with Gideon at the Crossfire the day weeks before Eva caught her leaving the building.

On that morning when EVERYTHING hung by a thread, he still couldn't have honestly talked about Corrine any more than he'd been able to right when Eva broke up with him. That's if Eva would even get into the car with him instead of slapping him across the face and literally running away from him. She'd never talk to him again, and she's probably do some more t** for tat by sleeping with Brett. Because twice before, that's exactly what part of Eva's over-reactions to Corrine caused -- Eva to go to Brett in retaliation. It would kill Gideon if Eva slept with Brett, and it would destroy Gideon's life to lose Eva forever.

In Entwined, Eva and Gideon both will learn, through experience, to finally blindly trust one another when it comes to Corrine (and probably Brett too, when he comes back.)

So I think that when Gideon finds out what Corrine did, even though (thank God!!!!) it didn't work, every last ounce of guilt over Corrine will be replaced with hatred that she tried to deliberately hurt Eva and forever destroy Eva's love for him.

So now in Entwined, Gideon isn't going to have any problem trotting out the cold, ruthless side of him and without any guilt do whatever it takes to manipulate Corrine any way he needs. Plus it might lessen the sting to Eva of Gideon having to continue to publicly act like he's back with Corrine. If Gideon had grown to hate Corrine, Eva would really believe it was "all just an act" and it wouldn't freak Eva out to during those occasional evenings when Gideon out in public being photographed on "dates" with Corrine

I am loving the strong Eva!   You go girl!   LOL!

I didn't realize how crucial (to Gideon and Eva's relationship) the scene was at Corinne's apartment that morning...

Good morning, AMC!

All of us have our various theories about how Entwined is going to play out. For example, GiGi is convinced Gideon was not the murderer - that Stanton and/or Monica did it (and won't GiGi be thrilled to say "told you so" if she's right!! I'll be the first one in the forum to admit for months, GiGi had it all figured out.)

I've got a couple of theories I'm passionate about. One of the biggest of my theories is that Gideon will hate Corrine's guts when he learns for certain just how manipulative Corrine was, and how close Corrine came to running off Eva forever. And so Gideon won't feel the least bit sorry continuing to "use" Corrine as his public cover while he and Eva love one another in secret.

Jump in with your pet theories. I'd love to hear some!!!

Working my imaginary way into Gideon's head about the real threat the whole Corrine situation had been to his relationship with Eva, and how close the relationship nearly got destroyed through the combination three things: Eva's raging insecurities and jealousies (Eva's bad), his stupid love triangle plan going horribly wrong (Gideon's bad) and Corrine playing dirty tricks behind his back to try to make Eva run away forever (Corrine's very bad.)

.... there's an important scene on page 68 of Reflected, where Eva's talking to Cary first thing in the morning about the whole Corrine mess. We're led to believe Gideon is still asleep in Eva's room (red herring to deceive us into thinking the Cary/Eva conversation was private.) But Gideon was kind of withdrawn the next time he and Eva spend time together (the flight to Las Vegas later that evening.) Red flag, I think he was extra anxious about how things were going between him and Eva, which was really kinda tenuous. 

Because besides the whole Corrine thing, Cary also pointed out to Eva the stress Gideon was causing her had started triggering Nathan nightmares, which she hadn't had in a while but had a really bad one the night before. So on top of the Eva's serious insecurity problems, now Gideon's scared about the Nathan stuff triggering her.

I'll skip the Nathan stress nightmare part of it, which is a separate issue, and concentrate here on the whole Corrine stress part of it. Before I recount the Corrine related part of the conversation Gideon, I think, eavesdropped on, it's important to recount exactly what led up to Cary and Eva talking early that morning.

• It was only about 36 hours before that Eva found out about Corrine for the first time, when Corrine crashed that fundraiser dinner. 
  • Eva pulled a runner at the dinner. Gideon chased after her and ended up having to work very hard to convince Eva he was never "in love" with Corrine and was only trying to be a friend. At least for than night, it worked. This is where we had our Bared to You happy ending.
  • BUT very next day (we're now into Reflected), Corrine pulled the "nooner" stunt. The result was Eva fighting with Gideon the rest of the day over Corrine. They were still fighting that evening when they had their first counseling session with Dr. Petersen, a session where it slipped out that Gideon hadn't yet cleared out the f*** pad at the hotel.
  • That night, when Gideon slept over Eva's apartment (and he had to talk his way into getting her to agree he could stay over), she had a really bad Nathan nightmare. He'd gone to clean out the f*** pad after she fell asleep. When he got back, she was in the middle of the terrible nightmare. So they never got to talk about him getting rid of the f*** pad.

So here we are now, early the next morning. Cary and Eva are talking. This is part of what Gideon likely overheard, a conversation full of red flags that would spell coming serious trouble:

"Do you think Cross had a nooner with his ex?" (Cary) asked bluntly.

"No"

"Are you sure?"

Sucking in a deep breath, I took a fortifying gulp and admitted, "Mostly. I think I'm the one doing it for him now. It's pretty hot with us, you know. But his ex has some kind of hold on him. He says it's guilt, but that doesn't explain his brunette fascination."

"It explains why you lost it and hit him -- her being around again is eating at you. And he still won't tell you what's going on. Does that sound healthy to you?"

Eva told Cary "mostly" NOT "definitely." Gideon pays close attention to things Eva says and even the little things she does. If he over-heard what Eva said to Cary that morning, he would have concluded (correctly) Eva is convinced (because she's insecure) that Corrine's still got some kind of sexual hold over Gideon still. And that the only edge Eva's got over Corrine right now is the hot sex.  Not that Gideon loves Eva (it's true but she doesn't believe it.) Wanting Eva sexually is the reason he's with Eva for now.   

Now keep that in mind as red flags when the story continues.

• All the fighting Eva and he did since Corrine showed up in the picture -- all his hard work to assure Eva he did not love Corrine and that sexually he wanted only Eva, wasn't enough. She continued to walk around insecure and jealous, even though Corrine wasn't in her face since the nooner stunt. Corrine (temporarily) faded into the background. (But Corrine's mere existence in Gideon's life was still eating at Eva)
  • Then Brett Kline enters the picture. Eva's also got an ex, and in her case, the ex DOES still have a hold on her. A sexual hold. Gideon saw that with his own eyes.
  • Mere days later, Gideon ends up dragging Corrine very seriously back into the foreground (press photos and all!) He actively makes Eva insecure and jealous about Corrine. His plan (and her very life) depends on it on Eva herself falling for the act.
  • Eva immediately gets even by taking Brett out.
  • And things now are at a crucial place where Gideon can't explain his seeing Corrine again is just an act. Nor put a stop to Brett. The plan is in motion, and Nathan's about to die.
  • Around 36 hours after Nathan dies, Eva finds out about the Nathan pictures AND the party pictures at the f*** pad hotel. 
  • She assumes the worst about both - Gideon saw the pictures earlier that week and those pictures caused him to withdraw sexually from Eva. He'd already started taking Corrine out again that week. The night of the party, he slept with Corrine at the f*** pad. He used to sleep with Corrine there years ago, and took every woman since, even Eva once. 
  • Game over (for now.) Eva said terrible things on the phone (accused him of cowardice and cheating) laid a guilt trip (she didn't blame him after seeing those Nathan photos) and pulled a (for the time) a serious runner. Maybe even permanent. 
  • Gideon kept trying to hope the runner wasn't permanent. But he didn't get to talk to Eva at all until more than a week later, when he got her to go on that car ride with him. She convinced him she'd decided to move on (i.e. it really was over.) She didn't blame it Corrine (because thank God she'd just figured out own her own for sure Gideon wasn't sleeping with Corrine.) But still, it was over because he still wouldn't even tell her what was going on. About anything: his past, Corrine, why he was hurting Eva so terribly. Eva was DONE with Gideon shutting her out. So she was done with him.
  • Gideon gambled by letting Eva in on his dark history of abuse. That's what finally made Eva stop running. She promised she'd wait.

Hi LNCronan,

Did you ever think that all the snippets that Sylvia’s been releasing are “RED HERRINGS� If they are red herrings then how can they be used as part of the theory process? It is speculating on speculation.

Listen, I am all for a good theory, but the theory has to make some sort of sense and this whole eviscerate Corinne because she played a dirty trick (NO: SHE DIDN’T run over Gideon’s favourite pet, KILL ANGUS-whom he seems to hold dear, etc. ) doesn’t make sense to me. Corinne played a dirty trick, that’s it!! Other than having the misfortune of falling in love with a man who didn’t love her in return, this character was basically a good woman. So really?!

Maybe now would be a good time to go back and reread the books before we go back and find a tree and some rope to hang these characters from.

Some of the snippets themselves might be red herrings -- all are labelled as might be changed or deleted prior to publication. But I can't see Sylvia doing that to us. Some of us, me included, would be hollering (er posting) bloody murder about wanting to read exactly what Gideon did to (and with) Eva in that nightclub, her a "bad girl" needing to be "punished" and now pinned up against a wall, pantiless and grinding against Gideon's leg. That's got to be in the book. 

But what is "gospel" now is the official book excerpt on Sylvia's main Web site and now being used to promote the coming novel. It's the scene, from Eva's point of view, an hour after Reflected ends with her hugging Gideon on his doorstep. Now she'd back at her apartment. She's just come out of the shower. Gideon, disguised in sweats and wearing a baseball cap, has snuck into her apartment.

Here's the link to the main page for the forthcoming Entwined novel: http://www.sylviaday.com/books/entwined-with-you/

I do need to quit stringing up Corrine though. I think I've beat her up enough. But she is not a good woman IMHO. Her being described as such in Bared was a red herring. She was rotten in Reflected, and I fear she's going to be a danger in Entwined, a danger to the secret love affair Gideon and Eva will conduct.

I'm going to gun for Christopher Jr. next. Because while Corrine has bluntly been trying to steal Gideon away from Eva, Christopher has been subtly trying to seduce Eva in order to play his own dirty trick on the half-brother he hates, Gideon.

I've got to do some research into the books to find all the scenes in which Christopher crosses Eva's path directly plus the background story stuff she'd learn from Gideon himself. Because somewhere in the text (gotta find the page) is a possible red flag of Gideon describing Christopher as dangerous and unstable.

And I think Eva letting Christopher off easy near the end of Reflected is a red herring. Dr. Lucas, Elizabeth Vidal, and Corrine, all on Eva's hit list, caught h*** between Saturday night and Tuesday morning. But at lunchtime Tuesday, when Eva had worked her way down her hit list to Christopher, she ended up letting him off easy. Way too easy. Serious underestimation of the guy?

We've got a snippet out there about Gideon trying (in vain) to make Eva quit fighting his own battle. Could the battle in question be Christopher?

Hi LNCronan,

I hope that the snippets aren’t included in the next book (with the exception of the dance club scene…sigh!). In a way, the snippets are like a tease. They are meant to garner interest in the book series and the characters. The more people that talk and blog about these characters and these books, the better it is for the author. I think that you and I and all the other ladies on this forum are a living testament to that fact.

Several of us have spilled our theories about these characters and their storylines onto our family members, loved ones and best friends. Mission accomplished! Now how many more days until June 4th?

Hi LNCronan,

I think that if Sylvia chooses to include the Christopher Jr. character in the next book, it will be really interesting. We have been so busy tossing around mental illness titles that I am beginning to wonder if he might not fit the criteria of either being a sociopath or psychopath. Unfortunately there isn’t enough information to go on, but I can hardly wait. :)

I am glad that Corinne is going to get a reprieve for a while. For a minute there, I thought I was going to have to hire a celebrity to host a telethon to help raise money for poor “Corinne†(wink, wink). :)

I was just wondering something; did Christopher Jr. ever try and make a play for Corinne? He always seems to interject himself into Gideon’s life and I just wonder how long that has been going on? Now that I think about it, I wonder what Corinne's impressions of Christopher Jr. are? How did she get along with Gideon's brother?

Here's a bigger question; if Gideon jilts Corinne, do you think that she may team up with Christopher Jr. to seek revenge? Who knows better about how to push this man's buttons than these two. What does everyone think?

Christopher is around 5-6 years younger than Gideon, and Gideon met Corrine at age 18, so that makes Christopher 12-13 at the time. We're not sure exactly when Gideon/Corrine got engaged, but the story strongly suggests it was in his very early 20s. She broke it off a year later. That makes Christopher still somewhere in high school age. Then Corrine married and moved to France.

I can see Christopher having a teen-aged fixation on Gideon's gorgeous girlfriend. But because Gideon was estranged from his family, (and the story strongly suggests he almost never step foot in the Vidal mansion once he moved out) Christopher would have barely known Corrine years ago. In fact, it's possible he never even met her back when she was Gideon's college sweetheart and then fiancee. I can see him having some sort of elaborate fantasy image of her though.

Now Christopher is in his early 20s, already some sort of executive at Vidal Records and mingling with music stars. He's pretty full of himself. And I can definitely see him believing the whole lie that Gideon jumped at the chance to get Corrine back as soon as she left her husband and moved back to New York. That Gideon held a torch all those years -- Corrine was the "one who got away."

Especially because this "one who got away" is what Magdalene firmly believed. Magdalene gave up on Gideon for good when Corrine came back into the picture. I'll bet back in the day before Eva, when Magdalene was sleeping with Christopher while convinced she still would be Gideon's wife some day, that she probably filled Christopher's head with all kinds of theories about the importance Corrine played in Gideon's life. The story strongly suggests Magdalene actually knew Corrine back in the day.

So I can definitely see Christopher buzzing around Corrine behind Gideon's back, trying to seduce her. Believing (falsely) Gideon's gonna marry Corrine once her divorce is final. It would be the ultimate revenge in the woman department for Christopher to get Gideon's future wife into bed.

Hi GiGi!

You posed the excellent question, " ....if Gideon jilts Corinne, do you think that she may team up with Christopher Jr. to seek revenge? Who knows better about how to push this man's buttons than these two."

Now, now, you just contradicted yourself (giggling good naturedly). Isn't Corrine a good woman? Why would she seek revenge by teaming up with a sworn enemy of Gideon's.  Good women don't do bad things.

Seriously, though, I can see Christopher attempting to repeat with Corrine the exact same thing Christopher did with Magdalene - "comforting" Corrine. I suspect he socially connected with Corrine immediately upon her moving back to New York, even while Gideon was still openly dating (and sleeping with) Eva. 

What might happen when Corrine finds out she had been in the same situation Magdalene used to be. The trophy girlfriend everyone (herself included) assumes is in first place to become Gideon's wife. But Gideon gets sex elsewhere. Magdalene was willing to put up with that for the time being. Corrine? I think not, especially because unlike Magdalene, Gideon has slept with Corrine in the past. So his seeing Corrine publicly but sleeping with Eva behind her back would be a form of sexual rejection.

When Eva met Christopher to take him to lunch (near the end of Reflected) Christopher asked Eva whether her inviting him had anything to do with " .... Gideon getting back together with Corrine." Was Christopher just assuming that based on press photos? Or was Christopher saying that because Corrine herself told him she believes it. Corrine's going around saying she got Gideon to come back, and Gideon's not denying it. (Because Gideon can't deny it to other people. He couldn't even deny it to Eva herself.)

So yeah, I can see Christopher, Gideon's sworn enemy, all too willing to help a scorned Corrine wanting revenge for feeling she was deliberately misled, cheated on in a way, or even outright jilted. That'd be a juicy plot twist in Entwined. In fact, it could even be the basis of a fourth Crossfire novel beyond Entwined.

How's this for a couple of Book Four theories: 

• Entwined ends happily with Gideon and Eva getting married. Corrine, the publicly scorned woman, seeks revenge against the pair of them in Book Four. Maybe by trying to drag their secret pasts into the public spotlight? Smearing the celebrity couple?
  • Gideon finally faces down his family in Entwined, and we learn just how "unstable and dangerous" Christopher Jr. actually is (Gideon described him as that way to Eva), and how evil Christopher Sr. is, and how corrupt Dr. Lucas is. Gideon resolves his own side of unfinished business with them all. But in Book Four, they all lash back by trying to hurt Gideon in new ways -- because for them, their business with Gideon Cross is far from finished. He hurts them, then they turn around t** for tat seeking revenge.

Hi LNCronan,

Corinne could go any number of ways:

• She could be trying desperately to win back Gideon-which is futile and then she will give up.

• She could go completely “postal†in the next book, which would make her a mentally unstable woman who finally snapped.

• She could lose her conscience and decide to team up with Christopher Jr. (which I don’t see happening at all).

• She could go by way of “Fatal Attraction†which means no pets will be safe…sigh!!

• Corinne could have a complete and total mental breakdown and wind up in a padded room or in a catatonic state (which actually would be really sad).

I think if Corinne met Christopher Jr. it would have been by his design. He would seek out Corinne and try to lure her into working with him (working…scheming…ahem…whatever…). I wonder if Gideon has an honest chat with Corinne in the next book about his feelings toward her and how he led her on. A scenario like that could go in so many different directions. Hmm….?