So would it make a difference if Gideon had killed Nathan himself rather then help plan it.?

Hi everyone,

I just have one more controversial question to ask (quickly) before I put down the “what Gideon did was wrong†stick.  What if you were the mother or father of a child who was mentally ill, committed rapes, tortures, etc but hadn’t yet killed anyone, had been incarcerated (locked up in a mental institution) for his crimes and by all accounts had paid his debts to society-according to the law.  Would you be ok with someone premeditatedly coming along and murdering your child (for something he not done) or would you want your child locked up in a mental institution where he could get help and where the public would be safe and protected. 

You carried that baby in your womb, had hopes and dreams only to realize that they would never come to fruition.  Every hope and dream that you ever dreamed for your child was dashed; every prayer ever made to a higher power has gone unanswered.  You have a very mentally ill child.

One day you receive a knock at the door and find out that your child has been murdered.  As the investigation goes along you (the parent) find out the details of your child’s demise.  You find out that someone had methodically and premeditatedly plotted and planned the murder of your child.  How would you feel?  Would you be ok with your child’s murder and that stranger taking the law into his/her own hands or would you have wanted the law to punish your child?

As I have stated before, what Nathan did was despicable.  I am not in any way shape or form condoning it.  Nathan got killed for something he hadn’t done yet.  Did Nathan deserve to die based solely on what he had done? 

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Gigi

I've just pictured you at home with steam coming out your ears!!!

Hello Ms Julie54,

There's no steam here sister. :)  I just find it very interesting when some people are ok with the concept of murder when it is someone else's child but may have very different views when it comes to their own child (good or bad).  I know, we all know Nathan was scum, but who would want to hold the bag as his or her parent and say yes it is ok that someone murdered my child (even as despicable as he was).  Do you know what I mean? 

Morning Gigi

Off to work now

What you have posed is a very good question. Mr Barker considered his child dead years ago. Already washing his hands of him. As you say until we have all the facts ie June 4th, we are going round in circles here.

Have a good day. Shall we continue tonight?

Morning Gigi

Off to work now

What you have posed is a very good question. Mr Barker considered his child dead years ago. Already washing his hands of him. As you say until we have all the facts ie June 4th, we are going round in circles here.

Have a good day. Shall we continue tonight?

Hi Julie54, 

It's all good.  Have a great day at work. :)

Hi Gigi, but the opposite can also be said... Many individuals and families are the victim of violent crimes at the hands of the so-called criminally insane... These families never get their loved ones back or even have their day in court because the criminally ill perp is locked away in a mental institution and always have to worry about their release someday. Nathan is a perfect example . He was obviously not cured like so many others let out on the streets to have free rein. I personally feel in the US our penalties for child molesters and the like are too relaxed and these people are released to terrorize again another day. But this is a subject for another day not on a forum about a romance novel about a guy who f--- like a p*** star and is hung like a horse-- your words LOL

Hi everyone,

I just have one more controversial question to ask (quickly) before I put down the “what Gideon did was wrong†stick. What if you were the mother or father of a child who was mentally ill, committed rapes, tortures, etc but hadn’t yet killed anyone, had been incarcerated (locked up in a mental institution) for his crimes and by all accounts had paid his debts to society-according to the law. Would you be ok with someone premeditatedly coming along and murdering your child (for something he not done) or would you want your child locked up in a mental institution where he could get help and where the public would be safe and protected.

You carried that baby in your womb, had hopes and dreams only to realize that they would never come to fruition. Every hope and dream that you ever dreamed for your child was dashed; every prayer ever made to a higher power has gone unanswered. You have a very mentally ill child.

One day you receive a knock at the door and find out that your child has been murdered. As the investigation goes along you (the parent) find out the details of your child’s demise. You find out that someone had methodically and premeditatedly plotted and planned the murder of your child. How would you feel? Would you be ok with your child’s murder and that stranger taking the law into his/her own hands or would you have wanted the law to punish your child?

As I have stated before, what Nathan did was despicable. I am not in any way shape or form condoning it. Nathan got killed for something he hadn’t done yet. Did Nathan deserve to die based solely on what he had done?

This scenerio is quite different from the one in RIY. Nathan was a danger to others. We know his mom was dead and his father considered him dead.

Honestly I can say my baby sister is mentally ill. She has committed crimes (burglary, trespassing, theft and providing false information to police). I am her only family aa our dad has not been an active parent for years and our mom died this past October.

I can honestly say I am fine with her being in jail. (her current location).

I know she is safe, dry, getting food and has someone watching her.

If she is released and she was to hurt someone badly, became a dangerous threat to someone and was killed that would be unfortunate. However I would be o.k. with it.