Books as good as the Crossfire series

Hi Gaia, I have read Beautiful Bast**d & plan on buying the rest of the series once Christmas shopping is completed. Then, I plan on a big Christmas splurge on books for me!!! So Gaia, thank you for answering my post. Also, I should mention, I am not into any of the historical/romance or paranormal genres...my preference right now is contemporary romance/erotica. Thank you both very much! (and Gaia, I sent my e-mail to GiGi so she can send me her list...you might be interested in that too)

Contemporary romance/erotica (and HEA) to me too!! :D

Yep, I also sent my e-mail to GiGi, and I got the list yesterday. I think she's having a little trouble with her email, if she can't send the list to you, let me know and I will forward it to you

Hope you'll complete your Christmas shopping with enough money in your pocket to afford a real huge splurge on books to you, and afterwards please let me know the ones you liked!!! ;)

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi GiGi, I understand that you have an extensive list of good reads at your disposal. I read the classics, Russian novelists like Dostoevsky & Tolstoy, British classics & Canadiana. But, right now my mind is looking for more romance/erotica novels like the crossfire series & a little less like Fifty shades(sometimes there's just too much of the toys, etc)...prefer a man like Gideon who uses his hands.

Anyway, is there something out there that you have read that meets this criteria? Thank you.

Hi Dgcaffeine,

I was thinking about your posting and I have a few novels that I could suggest (compliments of the lovely forum members):

1. Maya Banks Books:  The KGI Series
  • The Darkest Hour (1)
  • No Place To Run (2)
  • Hidden Away (3)
  • Whispers In The Dark (4)
  • Echoes At Dawn (5)
  • Softly At Sunrise (5.5)
  • Shades of Grey (6)
  • Forged In Steele
  • After The Storm…(TBA December 31st )
  1. Shayla Black:  Wicked Series
  • Wicked Ties (1) (Didn't like BD/sM)
  • Decadent  (2) (Deals with three-partners)
  • Delicious  (3) (I liked this one-one couple)
  • Surrender To Me  (4) (Has BD/sM background but only one couple featured)
  • Belong To Me  (5) (Good story-one couple)
  • Wicked To Love  (5.5) (Good story)
  • Mine To Hold  (6) (Really liked!)
  • Wicked All The Way  (6.5) (Great book!)
  • Ours To Love  (7) (Didn't like-three partners)
  • Wicked & Dangerous (7.5)
  • Theirs To Cherish (8)  (TBR…March 4, 2014)
  • His To Take (TBR..February 5, 2015)

1. Shayla Black:  Sexy Capers
  • Bound And Determined
  • Strip Search
  • Hot In Handcuffs

1. Shayla Black (a.k.a.  Shelley Bradley):  Standalone Titles
  • Her Fantasy Men
  • Naughty Little Secret
  • Dangerous Boys And Their Toy
  • Watch Over Me
  • A Perfect Match
  1. Sylvia Day Books:  Contemporary Series Novellas
  • Blood & Roses (Shadow Stalkers)
  • All Revved Up I
  • All Revved Up II (TBR…)
  • Wish List
  • Sex On Holiday
  • Got A Minute
  • Promise Of Love
  • Men Out Of Uniform
  • Hot In Handcuffs
  • Best Erotic Romance

If you keep in mind that most of the storylines are fanciful, then you will probably enjoy the stories.  I really enjoyed all of Shayla Black's novellas.  I also really liked all of Sylvia Day's novellas.  The only one that I wasn't able to read was Blood & Roses (I couldn't gain access to it).

Maya Banks KGI Series was also really good!  It is filled with action and romance.  The books feature one couple and no over-the-top BDSM scenes (No BD/sM scenes at all).

I hope this helps.

GiGi  :)

Hi dgcaffeine! I'm also interested in the answers to your question ! ;)

If you have not read the Beautiful B*stard series by Christina Lauren, I think you'll like it (no toys, just hands). They are 6 books (well, 3 books and 3 novellas). All released with the exception of the last novella that would be realeased next 19th this month. More info on GiGi's list or on one of my previous posts in this thread.

GiGi,

One more addition to your list: "Take Me" a novella that continues the Stark Trilogy by J. Kenner and also introduces Evan Black, a new character which is going to be the central one on Kenner's next series. This novella is TBR on December, 3rd 2013.

Also, does anybody know why The Blackstone's Affair Trilogy is not longer available in english language kindle format? A few days ago I saw there's going to be another one (maybe a novella, don't remember) and the 3 existing previous book's kindle format were "not available to download at the moment". Yesterday and today I've search them again and they're disappeared, only paper format available in english. Any clues?

Hi Dgcaffeine & Gaia,

I just checked Amazon.ca and Raine Miller's The Blackstone Affair Trilogy seems to be available.  There is however a problem for Canadian users (purchasers) and American purchases.  I know that there can be challenges when a person doesn't actually use a KIndle, and even if you have a Kindle, a Canadian subscriber will not have access to all of the Apps or the Apps won't necessarily work.  I have no idea why.  If someone can explain this to me, it would be greatly appreciated.

You may be able to get around it by purchasing your Apps from the Apple Store or through Chapters/Indigo Online etc.  I don't know if this answers your question, but I hope it helps.  I also included the links for the books your requested:

http://www.amazon.ca/Naked-The-Blackstone-Affair-Book-ebook/dp/B00AHE266U/ref=pd_sim_kinc_2

http://www.amazon.ca/All-In-Blackstone-Affair-Book-ebook/dp/B00AHE268I/ref=pd_sim_kinc_1

http://www.amazon.ca/Eyes-Wide-Open-Blackstone-Affair-ebook/dp/B00BEHGSEK/ref=pd_sim_kinc_2

I have also included your suggestion for the ever-changing Master List.  Thanks for your suggestion.

Contemporary romance/erotica (and HEA) to me too!! :D

Yep, I also sent my e-mail to GiGi, and I got the list yesterday. I think she's having a little trouble with her email, if she can't send the list to you, let me know and I will forward it to you

Hope you'll complete your Christmas shopping with enough money in your pocket to afford a real huge splurge on books to you, and afterwards please let me know the ones you liked!!! ;)

Hi Gaia, yes, I did receive a list of books from GiGi but thank you for offering to send me a copy of yours. Can't wait to dig in to some of these titles. And I will definitely inform you of the hot & erotic titles. Hopefully Christmas shopping will be complete at the end of November...I start early so no credit cards are used & no huge bills in January. Happy reading & I'll talk to you soon.

Hi Dgcaffeine & Gaia,

I just checked Amazon.ca and Raine Miller's The Blackstone Affair Trilogy seems to be available.  There is however a problem for Canadian users (purchasers) and American purchases.  I know that there can be challenges when a person doesn't actually use a KIndle, and even if you have a Kindle, a Canadian subscriber will not have access to all of the Apps or the Apps won't necessarily work.  I have no idea why.  If someone can explain this to me, it would be greatly appreciated.

You may be able to get around it by purchasing your Apps from the Apple Store or through Chapters/Indigo Online etc.  I don't know if this answers your question, but I hope it helps.  I also included the links for the books your requested:

http://www.amazon.ca/Naked-The-Blackstone-Affair-Book-ebook/dp/B00AHE266U/ref=pd_sim_kinc_2

http://www.amazon.ca/All-In-Blackstone-Affair-Book-ebook/dp/B00AHE268I/ref=pd_sim_kinc_1

http://www.amazon.ca/Eyes-Wide-Open-Blackstone-Affair-ebook/dp/B00BEHGSEK/ref=pd_sim_kinc_2

I have also included your suggestion for the ever-changing Master List.  Thanks for your suggestion.

Hi GiGi, thank you so much for the list & info. I don't use a kindle...still reading actual books. I find that the light from my computer keeps me awake at night so I figured a kindle would do the same. I don't mind though, I love to hold a book. Thank you again!

Hi GiGi, thank you so much for the list & info. I don't use a kindle...still reading actual books. I find that the light from my computer keeps me awake at night so I figured a kindle would do the same. I don't mind though, I love to hold a book. Thank you again!

Hi Dgcaffeine,

You are welcome.  I am always happy to help.  I noticed that you are a fellow Canadian and that you mentioned that you read some e-books from your computer.  Can you suggest a Canadian App. that I would be able to download (since I am very clearly Canadian...a little pun...:)).

Gaia, was kind enough to suggest an app from Amazon.com but unfortunately it is not compatible for Canadian computer users.  Thanks Gaia for all of your efforts!  It is always greatly appreciated!  :)

I am all ears Dgcaffiene...:)  If you have any suggestions, it would be greatly appreicated.  Could you also provide the link, if at all possible?  Thanks in advance, regardless of the outcome.  :)

GiGi,

Thank you so much for the links you provided me with. Unfortunatelly, when I try to buy the book I meet a pop-up asking me if I have moved, and if not, sending me out of amazon.ca, forwarding me to amazon.es. It looks like canadians don't want europeans messing around there, hahaha :P

By the way, you can try to download the app from amazon.es just here http://www.amazon.es/gp/feature.html/ref=sv_kinc_1?ie=UTF8&docId=1000576363

When signing in there's a banner saying you can also sing in with an account from amazon.com, amazon.co.uk, amazon.de, amazon.it and amazon.ca Maybe you're luckier than me and you can get it, or maybe not and you'll be redirected as it happened to me, I don't know.

Hi Dgcaffeine,

You are welcome.  I am always happy to help.  I noticed that you are a fellow Canadian and that you mentioned that you read some e-books from your computer.  Can you suggest a Canadian App. that I would be able to download (since I am very clearly Canadian...a little pun... :)).

Gaia, was kind enough to suggest an app from Amazon.com but unfortunately it is not compatible for Canadian computer users.  Thanks Gaia for all of your efforts!  It is always greatly appreciated!  :)

I am all ears Dgcaffiene... :)  If you have any suggestions, it would be greatly appreicated.  Could you also provide the link, if at all possible?  Thanks in advance, regardless of the outcome.  :)

Hi GiGi, I actually don't read e-books or use a kindle-type device. Sorry. As I mentioned, if I'm on my computer past a certain hour in the evening I can't get to sleep. I read that the computer back light can cause this. So, I figured I would experience the same symptoms from a kindle...I love to read at night so I guess I will just continue to read books. If I hear of any apps I will be sure to let you know. Sorry I couldn't help you. P.S. re-reading this thread, I think it was Gaia who uses a kindle. I will keep you posted if I find some apps. Thank you.

Hi GiGi, I just did some research on Google & found...www.hongkiat.com. This site offers the top 20 Canadian sites for downloading free e-books. I hope this helps & good luck. Talk to you soon. Please let me know if this was helpful. (no rush...take your time, I would just like to know if this site worked out). Thank you.

GiGi,

Thanks for keeping the list up to date.  I know I'll never get through them all...at least not while I'm working full-time...but I like having the list to check before I start my next book.

I rec'd an email from Kallypso Masters the next Rescue Me book will be out in December.  Somebody's Angel.  She can't give an exact date because she is self published but it will be out before Christmas.

Maya Banks' After The Storm release date was changed to 1/7 due to the holiday (she thinks).  She said they didn't give her an explanation. 

GiGi,

Thanks for keeping the list up to date.  I know I'll never get through them all...at least not while I'm working full-time...but I like having the list to check before I start my next book.

I rec'd an email from Kallypso Masters the next Rescue Me book will be out in December.  Somebody's Angel.  She can't give an exact date because she is self published but it will be out before Christmas.

Maya Banks' After The Storm release date was changed to 1/7 due to the holiday (she thinks).  She said they didn't give her an explanation. 

Hi Sharon,

You are welcome.  :) 

Thanks for the information about Kallypso Masters.  I am so excited about the next release...!!  :D :D

Kallypso Masters has written a great series!!  I wasn't expecting to like it, but thus far, it has been fantastic!!  :D 

She took a lot of care in her research and her characters feel so real!  I felt like I was really in the moment when I was reading her books....ok, I could gush and gush and gush...but the even better news is the the book will be coming out in December!!  Yea!  :)

Now I have something to look forward to. :)

Hi GiGi, I just did some research on Google & found...www.hongkiat.com. This site offers the top 20 Canadian sites for downloading free e-books. I hope this helps & good luck. Talk to you soon. Please let me know if this was helpful. (no rush...take your time, I would just like to know if this site worked out). Thank you.

Hi Dgcaffeine,

Thank yo for the information.  When  I get a chance, I will start checking out the websites to see if any of them are compatable.  Thanks again. :)

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to let the ladies in the forum know that Maya Banks latest book:  Colters' Gift has just been released.  It also includes the never-released novella  "Colters' Legacy has also been included  in the printed version.

I am in the process of reading it, and thus far, it isn't bad.  I like the characters in this book.  The storyline also seems interesting.  If anyone else finishes reading it, let me know what you think.  Thanks ladies.

Read it.  It is good but not as good as the first 2.

Hi GLH,

I just picked up a copy of Beautiful Bast*rd at drugstore.  One of my relatives is a senior, so I got a really good discount.  :)  Is the series worth reading?  Hopefully I will be able to find the other books in the series and get them at a really good discount as well.  I love a good discount! ;) 

beautiful ###### and beautiful player were really good. I liked beautiful stranger the least

Hi Skeeweestarbucks,

Welcome to the forum and I hope you enjoy yourself.  :)

Thanks for your input.  i have started reading the book and I have to say, thus far, it has been a good read.  I quickly realized that this particular book was written from two perspectives and not just one.  For a moment there I thought that maybe my eyesight needed to be checked.  The fonts were off a bit (which I came to quickly realize that was an indicator of various perspectives).  :)

Even I have my silly moments...sigh!  :)

• 3 weeks later...

Gigi--you are amazing.

I just finished the third and final book in the GABRIEL series.  OMG, i loved that series.  It is extremely romantic and the characters and storyline are interesting to me.  It isn't CROSSFIRE, but hey. It is up there for me with the THIS MAN series for totally different reasons.  These series are completely different but great reads.

Looking forward to the next book in the KGI series.  Loved them.

The Master List is daunting.  I need a recommendation for what to read next.  i have no idea since there are so many.  Help!!!!

Gigi--you are amazing.

I just finished the third and final book in the GABRIEL series.  OMG, i loved that series.  It is extremely romantic and the characters and storyline are interesting to me.  It isn't CROSSFIRE, but hey. It is up there for me with the THIS MAN series for totally different reasons.  These series are completely different but great reads.

Looking forward to the next book in the KGI series.  Loved them.

The Master List is daunting.  I need a recommendation for what to read next.  i have no idea since there are so many.  Help!!!!

Hi GLH,

I highly recommend Ryan Winfield's book:  Jane's Melody.  It was sweet, touching and very romantic.  I give my deepest thanks to all of the ladies who recommended this book!  It is quite the little gem.  :)

Several of the ladies in the forum have read Christina Lauren's Beautiful Series, and have decided to read these books and thus far, have been pleasantly surprised.  I have only read Beautiful Player and am in the process of reading Beautiful Beginning.  The books are incredibly light-hearted in some respects, but also highlight some very all-too-real relationship issues that these characters face.  I haven't read this series in its order (maybe someday I will actually get around to doing something like that...:)).  I am not sure if that is an important factor in following the series.  Maybe some of the other forum members, who have read this series, will be able to jump in. :) 

I also decided to give hostical romances another try, so I started with  Sylvia Day's novella/short story; "Mischief And The Marquess".  It was really good!  It took me a while to wrap my head around this historical perspective, but the storyline was romantic and a very good first attempt on my part to be able to finish a historical romance.  If historical romances are appealing to you, you may want to give this one a go.  :)

I have picked up Scandalous Liaisons and In the Flesh, by Sylvia Day.  Have you read either of these?  What did you or the ladies think of those two books?

Finally I picked up Beth Kery's Because We Belong and Gillian Flynn's Gone Girl (actually had it since this summer, but haven't finished it yet).  The storylines look promising though.  :)

If you would like something in the non-romance selection; there are several amazing books to choose from.  You just have to decide what it is you are looking for. Do you like American Literature, Russian Literature, self-help, psychology, mystery, the list goes on and on.  :)

I hope this helps in some way.  I know there are so many experts in the forum who have read so many romance novels that they could give a Rhodes Scholar a run for his/her money when it comes to romance literature.  :)  I am just the one who compiles the list.  :)

Hi Gigi--

We seem to have similar taste.  I have read JANE'S MELODY since it was recommended here.  Liked it.  Loved the BEAUTIFUL series but I think you should really read BEAUTIFUL as that is the first one.  Then BEAUTIFUL STRANGER.  Max is something else. I have read all the rest in order.

I have read all of Sylvia's Georgian series and just loved them.  I am not sure I read IN THE FLESH.  Will check it out.  I love historical fiction and have read the others of Sylvia;s that are stand alones.  The only things of Sylvia I have not read are some of the short stories and all the paranormal books.  I don't like paranormal stuff.  I am thinking of trying SPELLBOUND  but I am not sure.

I did read GONE GIRL and hated the ending.  Just finished SYCAMORE ROW and the latest Alex Cross book.  Read them all.

I read a lot.  Don't watch TV during the day at all and I find reading so incredibly relaxing.  If I am home, I am either reading or cooking.  I get lost in a good book.  Since I got my ipad I read a whole lot more than I ever did.  I love it.  

The problem with some of the romance novels is that the writing is just not good.  Sylvia and Sylvain Reynard are definite exceptions to that.  The other is that the characters are all of similar age.  I would love to read a love story about people who are middle aged.  

I will go back to the master list which I am so thrilled with.  I cannot believe you went to all that trouble for us.  Thank you again.

Hi Gigi. 

Thanks for keeping the list up to date.  I use your list to update my spreadsheet of books to read.  I will say I read or listened to all of J.D. Robb's "In Death" series over the past two months.  I read a Nora Roberts' book years ago and didn't like it.  I'm not sure why and I don't remember the book but because of that I resisted the "In Death" series even though so many of my friends recommend them all the time.  After SD mentioned Nora Roberts/J.D. Robb in  interviews (and Reflections) I decided to give it a go.  I used one of my audible credits and listened to the book and became hooked. 

There are some similarities between Roarke & Gideon- rich beyond belief, very successful in business, hot, hot, hot, loves his wife and beautiful to look at.  If for not other reason, that alone is worth the time reading the books. 

Eve and Eva have similar names and over came an abusive childhood but they are very different as adults. 

If you love a good mystery/crime novel mixed with a hot romance these books are worth reading. 

As an aside, if you like audio books I found that Kindle will add the audio version on some books for cheap.  It is less expensive to buy the kindle/audio bundle then the audio alone.  I like to highlight and make notes while I'm reading my favorite series so I buy the Kindle or Nook books.  I like to listen to the audio on my ride to work and while cleaning.  The audio adds a lot to the book especially when there is a good narrator. 

One more thing--My kids always give me a couple books for Christmas.  I copied some of the recommendations from here to add to my regular list (a couple of my favs always have a new book out this time of year).  My son always gives me the latest James Paterson (Alex Cross) book plus one or two others and my youngest daughter always gives me the latest Preston & Child book and another.  I love to read and this way I don't buy a book they plan to give me. 

Thanks to Barb I let my oldest daughter know if she buys an Amazon gift card from the grocery store it will add to the cents off gas.  Can't go wrong with a gift card and it is less expensive to mail.  This week my book addiction saved me $.30 off per gallon of gas.  I'm going to buy books anyway it is good to get cheaper gas too.