The New Entwined Clues Sylvia Is Posting

LN Cronan

I've got two separate theories:

1. More of Gideon continuing to deliberately manipulate the media, especially the tabloids, via continuing to appear in public with Corrine even though he is now secretly seeing Eva.
  2. The cops leaking the story to the media that a former step family member of socialites Eva Trammel and her mother Monica Stanton had been found murdered a couple of weeks earlier in New York City. I'm sure the media would mention why Eva is famous enough to be tabloid fodder -- she recently had a hot and heavy thing going on with celebrity billionaire Gideon Cross.

Why I like # 1 better:

I can see Gideon and Eva making a pact in Chapter One that whatever the danger, they find a way to spend stolen time together. In order to lessen the risk, Gideon is going to need to keep up the public lie he's seeing Corrine. Eva will be willing to put up with that, now that she knows the truth about why Gideon started living that lie.

His public behavior at the start of Entwined would be a continuation of what he started doing halfway through Reflected. Especially because we know he deliberately set things up to have himself photographed with Corrine on at least two separate occasions the week of the murder. And those are just the ones we know about, because Eva saw those. She quit looking after the picture of the party at the hotel, but Gideon was continuing to spend time with Corrine. Eva caught him red-handed coming out of the Crossfire with Corrine a couple of weeks later.

Why I think #2 is a possibility

Maybe the cops want to continue to turn up the heat on Gideon and Eva, including even draw out of the woodwork people who might know something. Such as a witness who can place Gideon near Nathan's hotel the night of the murder. Or perhaps make it harder for Eva to walk around in public unnoticed, because suddenly she'd be back in the news again, this time for something even juicier than being Gideon's now-former girlfriend.

I completely agree with the #1 possibility. It sounds like that is the best idea for them to do. I am just curious how far Gideon will take it with Corrine to make it look real...hopefully not too realistic poor Eva! That girl is already a jealous mess. Though I will say there was definite growing on both ends in the last book.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I completely agree with the #1 possibility. It sounds like that is the best idea for them to do. I am just curious how far Gideon will take it with Corrine to make it look real...hopefully not too realistic poor Eva! That girl is already a jealous mess. Though I will say there was definite growing on both ends in the last book.

in Reflected, Gideon hurt Eva badly, so much so she dumped him. I can't see him bedding Corrine to keep up the lie. That would crucify Eva, even if she knew the truth.

in Reflected, Gideon hurt Eva badly, so much so she dumped him. I can't see him bedding Corrine to keep up the lie. That would crucify Eva, even if she knew the truth.

Can you imagine?? I think he would let us all down if he did lol

He'll use Corinne as he needs to and she'll let him. She'll try to make the moves on him, I'm quite sure, but it will never happen.

OR she might prove how insane she is and "go there" by drugging him and having her way with him.

Who knows! LOL but Gideon would never do anything intenionally to hurt Eva.

Totally agree! I just meant I hope she can handle more pictures of them together and looking happy. I don't think he would or could bed Corrine knowing how obsessed and in love with Eva he is.

Totally agree! I just meant I hope she can handle more pictures of them together and looking happy. I don't think he would or could bed Corrine knowing how obsessed and in love with Eva he is.

I think the photos and headlines are definitely going to drive her mad, but she'll know the reason behind it is all to protect her and Gideon.

On the surface: As far as Corrine goes, right now Gideon is platonically dating her (and yes, it is dating: going out as a couple. Gideon's own definition of dating is lengthy social time spent together without actively f******). On the surface, the social arrangement is just like it used to be with Magdalene, who he took out socially, including regularly in situations where they would be photographed as a couple. Gideon also used to hang out with female friends -- and he's spending time with Corrine again, so that counts as friendship too.

But he is NOT sleeping with Corrine. Back before Eva, Gideon dated and had female friends -- and he clearly separated them from his sex life. His sex life consisted of short-term arrangements where all he did was f***. Not even any friendly time. So right now on the surface, Gideon has just reverted back to how his public social life was conducted before he entered a serious relationship with Eva.

BUT .....

Obviously, Corrine must be reading into this "dating" as the first step toward "lovers" and then "spouses." How can she not. Especially because I think Gideon is painted into a corner where he's lying by omission to Corrine. How? By not disavowing her of her illusions she has him back. Not expressly telling her "we're only friends." He's stuck right now in a position where he's forced to fool everyone into thinking there's something more going on. The need to fool people includes Corrine -- so he's fooling her into thinking they're in some gray area where they're more than friends but not yet getting physical.

He's using her in other words.

But know what -- I think it's karma that she's fooled into thinking things are going somewhere. Because she tried fooling Eva into thinking that. She hurt Eva. Gideon used to carry around a lot of guilt about Corrine, but I think most, maybe all, of that evaporated because of how Corrine hurt Eva.

On the surface: As far as Corrine goes, right now Gideon is platonically dating her (and yes, it is dating: going out as a couple. Gideon's own definition of dating is lengthy social time spent together without actively f******). On the surface, the social arrangement is just like it used to be with Magdalene, who he took out socially, including regularly in situations where they would be photographed as a couple. Gideon also used to hang out with female friends -- and he's spending time with Corrine again, so that counts as friendship too.

But he is NOT sleeping with Corrine. Back before Eva, Gideon dated and had female friends -- and he clearly separated them from his sex life. His sex life consisted of short-term arrangements where all he did was f***. Not even any friendly time. So right now on the surface, Gideon has just reverted back to how his public social life was conducted before he entered a serious relationship with Eva.

BUT .....

Obviously, Corrine must be reading into this "dating" as the first step toward "lovers" and then "spouses." How can she not. Especially because I think Gideon is painted into a corner where he's lying by omission to Corrine. How? By not disavowing her of her illusions she has him back. Not expressly telling her "we're only friends." He's stuck right now in a position where he's forced to fool everyone into thinking there's something more going on. The need to fool people includes Corrine -- so he's fooling her into thinking they're in some gray area where they're more than friends but not yet getting physical.

But know what -- I think it's karma that she's fooled into thinking things are going somewhere. Because she tried fooling Eva into thinking that. She hurt Eva. Gideon used to carry around a lot of guilt about Corrine, but I think most, maybe all, of that evaporated because of how Corrine hurt Eva.

as Gideon said after Eva had her nightmare, no ones ever going to hurt you again, they will have to go through me. NO ONE.! Are you listening Corrine!

BUT .....

I'm not sure... I think he told corrine that they were just friends. But she is hoping it will escalate to more. 

The ethical thing for Gideon to do would be to be 100% honest with Corrine

.... BUT ..... right now, there's a real danger the detectives might try to interview Corrine, asking questions about when they started going out again, etc. If Detective Graves is trying to dismantle the cover story Gideon dumped Eva to go back to Corrine, she'd likely make a run at Corrine. Graves already made a run at Eva -- tricked Eva into revealing Eva dumped Gideon on Saturday (i.e. after Nathan already had been killed.) Gideon's been manipulating the media into thinking he started dating Corrine again the Monday before Nathan got killed.

So the "safe" thing to do would be to just keep his mouth shut with Corrine instead of saying "we're only friends and that's all we'll ever be." Keep his mouth shut so she can tell anyone who asks, including the cops, something along the lines of "we've been spending a lot of time together lately, and yes, it started with him asking me out to dinner that Monday ......"  Put Corrine in a position where she'd say "we've been seeing one another."

In fact, we don't know yet whether the cops already have interviewed Corrine at least once. Detective Graves busted her b*** to break Gideon's alibi, discovering the hour-long window that happened when the kitchen fire disrupted the party. Graves went back to the party hotel three times to question employees. It's possible -- I think probable -- that Graves tried asking Corrine about Gideon's movements during the party. After all, Corrine was Gideon's date. I think Graves did make a run at Corrine but specifically avoided telling Eva about it.

Getting back to Eva's safety, and how Gideon feels about her, twice he has mentioned that he wouldn't survive her. The last time it was mentioned, they were having their chat in the car, at he end of Reflected. It goes to show his state of mind, if anything were to happen to her. This controlling, ball breaking, man is so fragile. It's heartbreaking.

Getting back to Eva's safety, and how Gideon feels about her, twice he has mentioned that he wouldn't survive her. The last time it was mentioned, they were having their chat in the car, at he end of Reflected. It goes to show his state of mind, if anything were to happen to her. This controlling, ball breaking, man is so fragile. It's heartbreaking.

And this is why we are so in love with him as well!

Your post brings to mind how Gideon acted early afternoon Tuesday, two days before he killed Nathan, when Eva was at her absolutely unmanageable worst, security wise, and how tightly wound up he was about it. This was in the elevator lobby of Gideon's floor at the Crossfire. She was up there because he'd made the elevator go straight to the top, instead of stopping at her floor, when she arrived back after having had lunch with Brett.

Yes, they fought about her going to lunch with Brett in retaliation for him having gone to dinner with Corrine the night before. But Eva sensed something else was really wrong -- and she tried to get him to talk to her. She even reached out to touch him and he jerked away as if she'd burned him. My belief is that he jerked away to stop himself from just grabbing her tight, so scared he was at that point. Because in the past few hours:

• She'd started walking to work, instead of staying at the hospital with Cary. She left a place she was safe and was out where Nathan could have grabbed her.
  • Then lunchtime, she left the building. Nathan had lurked around the Crossfire at least once before (and that's the only time we know about it as readers -- there could have been others.)
  • Even going out in public with Brett was dangerous -- here was Eva with yet another man at a time when Nathan was going postal over thoughts of other men with Eva (the "stay away from her!!!" rage he expressed while beating Cary with a baseball bat)

Eva was in such a snit when lunch started out with Brett that she was half-hoping some photographer would get a couple's shot of them (take that, Gideon!!). Good thing that didn't happen, and not just because she would have regretted it (in fact before lunch was over, that nasty impulse had already begun fading.) A photo of Eva with Brett might have sent the stalking-Nathan over the edge again, at a time when Gideon was scrambling to figure out what to do about the danger.

Your post brings to mind how Gideon acted early afternoon Tuesday, two days before he killed Nathan, when Eva was at her absolutely unmanageable worst, security wise, and how tightly wound up he was about it. This was in the elevator lobby of Gideon's floor at the Crossfire. She was up there because he'd made the elevator go straight to the top, instead of stopping at her floor, when she arrived back after having had lunch with Brett.

Yes, they fought about her going to lunch with Brett in retaliation for him having gone to dinner with Corrine the night before. But Eva sensed something else was really wrong -- and she tried to get him to talk to her. She even reached out to touch him and he jerked away as if she'd burned him. My belief is that he jerked away to stop himself from just grabbing her tight, so scared he was at that point. Because in the past few hours:

• She'd started walking to work, instead of staying at the hospital with Cary. She left a place she was safe and was out where Nathan could have grabbed her.
  • Then lunchtime, she left the building. Nathan had lurked around the Crossfire at least once before (and that's the only time we know about it as readers -- there could have been others.)
  • Even going out in public with Brett was dangerous -- here was Eva with yet another man at a time when Nathan was going postal over thoughts of other men with Eva (the "stay away from her!!!" rage he expressed while beating Cary with a baseball bat)

Eva was in such a snit when lunch started out with Brett that she was half-hoping some photographer would get a couple's shot of them (take that, Gideon!!). Good thing that didn't happen, and not just because she would have regretted it (in fact before lunch was over, that nasty impulse had already begun fading.) A photo of Eva with Brett might have sent the stalking-Nathan over the edge again, at a time when Gideon was scrambling to figure out what to do about the danger.

And don't forget Angus was waiting outside to pick Eva up after her aborted lunch with Brett...

Only in hindsight would we readers piece together what the REAL fight was about that Tuesday afternoon in the elevator lobby. Sure, they were arguing about Brett and Corrine, but when Eva asked what the problem was, Gideon snapped, "The problem is that I don't know where the you are half the time!"

Gideon was trying to control her and failing miserably -- that's the real reason he hijacked the elevator to bring Eva right to the top floor and immediately started a serious argument with her. He couldn't control her. And that's exactly what he was desperately trying to do - control her. Not sexually. He was trying to physically control her physically -- her physical security. 

Sure, on the surface they were having a legitimate argument about their respective exes. Gideon must have been scared about that too underneath that anger. Eva's nagging insecurities over Corrine had been the trigger for her having kissed Brett. Gideon thought they settled that over their romantic weekend -- but here is was just two days later, and Eva had run to Brett yet again because of Corrine. AGH!!!!! 

I'm picturing Gideon viewing lobby videotape of Eva walking out the door with Brett. That thing he does when he's upset, running one or both hands through his hair? He must have been pulling it out. I pity people who had to deal with him at that moment, like Angus and Scott.

Only in hindsight would we readers piece together what the REAL fight was about that Tuesday afternoon in the elevator lobby. Sure, they were arguing about Brett and Corrine, but when Eva asked what the problem was, Gideon snapped, "The problem is that I don't know where the ###### you are half the time!"

Gideon was trying to control her and failing miserably -- that's the real reason he hijacked the elevator to bring Eva right to the top floor and immediately started a serious argument with her. He couldn't control her. And that's exactly what he was desperately trying to do - control her. Not sexually. He was trying to physically control her physically -- her physical security. 

Sure, on the surface they were having a legitimate argument about their respective exes. Gideon must have been scared about that too underneath that anger. Eva's nagging insecurities over Corrine had been the trigger for her having kissed Brett. Gideon thought they settled that over their romantic weekend -- but here is was just two days later, and Eva had run to Brett yet again because of Corrine. AGH!!!!! 

I'm picturing Gideon viewing lobby videotape of Eva walking out the door with Brett. That thing he does when he's upset, running one or both hands through his hair? He must have been pulling it out. I pity people who had to deal with him at that moment, like Angus and Scott.

Talk about being in a bad mood!,,,

in America, when patients with mental illnesses are released from prison or hospital, like Nathan, are the victims or their relatives not informed as a precaution? Can you see where I'm going with this?

If only the pair would have learnt to communicate. If they would have put as much effort into talking, as they did making love, then life would have been a lot simpler for them.

This was their problem from day one. So many secrets!

thank you! From the beginning i've been saying this to myself as I was reading the book. they woud've avoided so much turmoil and hurt feelings.

in America, when patients with mental illnesses are released from prison or hospital, like Nathan, are the victims or their relatives not informed as a precaution? Can you see where I'm going with this?

Prison - yes. Crime victims (and in the case of murder victims, family members) commonly are informed when a convict is getting released shortly. Many times they even get notified when a convict is seeking early release on parole. The notice gives them a chance to try to prevent the convict from being granted parole.

Mental hospitals, no. Unfortunately. There's never been a long-standing system to automatically notify victims. And in recent years, very strict privacy laws on medical records has made it even harder to get information about mental patients (about any patients, actually.)

Which is one of the reasons Gideon rightfully was scared -- scared of a system where if Nathan hurt Eva, he possibly would be locked up in a mental hospital again instead of prison, treated, deemed fit for release, and sent back out into the community -- probably with Eva not being told he'd been released. Thus the danger to her would always exist.

victor will be devastated when he finds out about Eva's rape. I'm sure he will do whatever possible to help Gideon get out of his mess. I wonder how Victor will react, as both a cop and father?

My sisters friends daughter was date raped, a while back. The man responsible was caught thank goodness and jailed. But the father has stated that, if he ever saw the guy about he would be a dead man. Police warned him to move away and never come back for his own safety.

Parents will protect their children at all cost.

Hi Julie,

I think that if and when Victor finds out about Eva’s rapes, I suspect that all h*** will break loose!  I couldn’t even imagine being a parent and being kept in the dark about something so serious and severe having happened to my child.  I would then be looking at the other parent wondering why in the “HE** WAS I NOT INFORMED ABOUT WHAT WAS GOING ON???â€

Somehow I think that everyone within a 10 mile radius would get an earful of how Victor would feel.  I also think that Victor might have mixed emotions about Nathan’s murder.  I am sure that he would be glad of Nathan’s demise but sad that he wasn’t the one to end his life.  I could see a reaction like that as being very normal for a parent.  What do you think?  What does everyone think?

If only the pair would have learnt to communicate. If they would have put as much effort into talking, as they did making love, then life would have been a lot simpler for them.

This was their problem from day one. So many secrets!

Hi Julie,

After reading and rereading this book, it almost seems like Gideon and Eva are acting like a couple of teenagers in their first relationship.  It is almost like they are reliving their teenage years for the first time.  What do you think?  What does everyone think?

well ladies. I'm seriously going the same way, because I spend all my time on this forum. I'm addicted to it. I hate the time difference. When I'm in bed you're chatting. Got to move to the States. :)

Or you could move to Canada. :)  Canada is a very lovely country with many, many fine features. :)