One Chapter A Day - Re-Read Of Bared and Entwined

LN Cronan

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact Gideon asked Eva to keep that diamond ankle bracelet on so that he could f*** her wearing only that makes me think his original plan for Saturday night was to take her to his hotel room after the fundraiser.

The night's events took a much different turn than he planned, however -- good and bad. The good comes in Chapter Six, and the bad immediately follows in Chapter Seven.

Good: Eva seduced him in the back of his limo on the way to the fundraiser. She had no way of knowing it would be a turning point in his life -- after all, her knowledge of his sexual history barely scratched the surface. She did more than get him to "break rules" during that car ride. She smashed through his control fetishes that governed the only way he felt able to have intercourse was to be in complete control. It had to be in a hotel room he used exclusively for sex, the only place he'd ever had sex with any woman, including his first (and before now only) serious girlfriend. In order to come, he needed to "top" his partner by holding her down. Instead, Eva managed to "rock his world" by getting him to come in a way he didn't think was possible: her taking the lead as the top, and them doing it in the back of a limo.

Bad: As soon as Gideon came down from the sexual high, he crashed hard, unable to emotionally handle what just happened. He went on a head trip that caused him to shut down and retreat to deep inside his emotional shell. Eva assumed (wrongly) she was the one who messed up, so she went on one of her own head trips that had her run away (in a figurative sense -- she avoided Gideon as much as possible for the remainder of the evening.) And they ended up leaving the fundraiser separately. Gideon rushed out early to go do something (we'd learn much later it was to help Corrine long-distance, who'd reached him on his cell phone in the middle of the event.) Eva ended up leaving alone very soon after Gideon essentially abandoned her -- in tears being driven home by her mother's chauffeur -- not only feeling rejected, but having her worst insecurity buttons pushed hard by the woman who Gideon had been platonically dating up to that point, Magdalene Perez.

hi

If felt sorry for both of them. All their insecurities came to the surface on this date. Rejection, not being in control. It was as if they were doomed from their very first date.

This is what I'd wanted from the moment I first saw him-to possess him, to climb up his magnificent body and take him deep inside me.

Loving this line. Mmmmmmmm

I know Julie, I love this line too in that limo scene there are just so many tantalizing moments LOL

hi LN Cronan

Judging by that comment, he obviously had the evening planned out. Dancing, dinner, sexy time. So why did he let the wicked witch-Corrine- making him feel guilty decide to abandon Eva. I know he felt sorry for her, but why not say, busy at the moment, see you tomorrow. A gentlemen he wasn't.

He later confessed to Eva (weeks later after she found out he'd ditched her for Corrine the night of their first date) that he screwed up. He apologized for the fact he hadn't been thinking straight that night, and so when Corrine called him in crisis, he did something stupid. (That stupid thing being jumping at an excuse to cut his date with Eva short, the final insult in a date already gone terribly wrong.) 

In his defense, he already felt guilty as he was saying goodbye to Eva, and by the next morning, he was desperately trying to apologize. He sent her roses. He tried phoning, but she wouldn't answer (not even listen to messages he left -- good for her!) He even wanted to go see her in person. I think what stopped him was he knew Cary would be there, protecting Eva from him just like Cary had the night before.

Gideon made a heartfelt apology on Monday, admitting he handled things badly on Saturday night. I'll bet that was the first time since Corrine had ended the engagement all those years ago that Gideon felt terrible about having hurt a woman badly -- and found himself asking to be forgiven.

hi

If felt sorry for both of them. All their insecurities came to the surface on this date. Rejection, not being in control. It was as if they were doomed from their very first date.

They came awful close to their relationship ending after that first date on Saturday night. By the time Monday rolled around, Eva had already decided Gideon was bad for her and she wasn't going to see him anymore. She didn't even want to keep the plans they'd made on Friday to have lunch together Monday. Gideon had to work hard to convince her to go through with meeting him for lunch. And when she did agree to see him, she went into it as a chance to tell him face to face she wanted nothing more to do with their "strangers with benefits" arrangement.

He had to work even harder to get her to give him another chance -- and he did it by convincing her he wanted a full-fledged relationship. He wanted her to be his girlfriend, not just some sex partner and/or socialite arm candy. Against her better judgement at the time, she agreed - her heart won out over her head.

My favorite part of Chapter Six is immediately what happens in the instant after Gideon has just had the first earth-shattering sexual experience of his life. How tender he is for just a little bit before he comes crashing down from the high and goes on his head trip. From the bottom of page 93 and top of page 94:

"Eva." He wrapped his arms around me and crushed me to him, pressing his damp face into the curve of my neck.

I knew just how he felt. Stripped. Laid bare.

We stayed like that for a long time, holding each other, absorbing the aftershocks. He turned his head and kissed me softly, the strokes of his tongue into my mouth soothing my ragged emotions.

It strikes me that among the photos Gideon treasured of them as a couple, the photos he posted in a collage in his apartment, were paparazzi shots of him and Eva walking the red carpet into the fundraiser. Maybe it's because that's the only time she was photographed how stunning she looked in that red dress. But the smile on her face was forced, and he would have had his public mask. On the outside, they looked to be perfect. On the inside, both of them were miserable when those photographers took pictures.

HI EVERYBODY!! Here are my favourites in Chap. 6 1) I did what I'd wanted to do since I saw him in my living room... I àoved the way he kissed me. as if he HAD to, as if he'd go crazy if he didn't and had nearly waited too long. I sucked on hos tongue, having learned how much he loved it, having learned how much I liked it. 2) 'We can't do that here.' 'Why not?' Then a surprising thought struck me. 'Haven't you ever had s** in a limo?' 'No...... Have you?' 3) What are you doing to me?

Ciao Gabri,

I stated in an earlier posting that I thought Dr. Lucas is despicable for many reasons.  If he treated Gideon, then he violated Doctor -Patient Privilege and as such would be disreputable in my and many people's eyes.

The second point is that Dr. Lucas is a mean spiteful little man, who doesn't have the b***s to confront Gideon about sleeping with his wife, so instead Dr. Lucas picks on the emotionally weakest people in Gideon's life (by filling their heads with self doubt etc.), which is a punk a** thing to do in my book.

As far as Monica is concerned, I saw the situation a little differently.  I think that Monica should carry around a HUGE TRUCK LOAD of GUILT!!!  She lived with that little girl for four years while  that little girl was being raped and tortured and Monica didn't notice anything.  I just want to vomit when  I sit and think about that.  Monica neglected her daughter in the most basic of ways.   I have to wonder whether Monica was ever emotionally connected to her daughter at all.  Who was bathing this kid, washing her underwear, tucking her in at night?  If Monica would have done any of those things than she would have seen at least some of  the signs that her daughter was being abused.  I believe that a mother has a moral and legal obligation to see to her child's well being and I think that Monica failed in many basic ways.  It wasn't as if Monica could rely  on her parents (Eva's grandparents) or Aunts/Uncles, sisters or brothers.  So the responsibility fell on Monica's shoulders and I get the feeling that she passed it off to her household staff to deal with.  In my eyes that is wrong.  What do you think?  What does everyone think?

It strikes me that among the photos Gideon treasured of them as a couple, the photos he posted in a collage in his apartment, were paparazzi shots of him and Eva walking the red carpet into the fundraiser. Maybe it's because that's the only time she was photographed how stunning she looked in that red dress. But the smile on her face was forced, and he would have had his public mask. On the outside, they looked to be perfect. On the inside, both of them were miserable when those photographers took pictures.

It is actually a glimpse of who they actually both are... they both seem to be prime specimens of a man and a woman-stunning and beautiful in every way on the outside but broken and damaged on the inside...

HI EVERYBODY!!

Here are my favourites in Chap. 6

1) I did what I'd wanted to do since I saw him in my living room... I àoved the way he kissed me. as if he HAD to, as if he'd go crazy if he didn't and had nearly waited too long. I sucked on hos tongue, having learned how much he loved it, having learned how much I liked it.

2) 'We can't do that here.'

'Why not?' Then a surprising thought struck me. 'Haven't you ever had s** in a limo?'

'No...... Have you?'

3) What are you doing to me?

hi Gabri

I'm finding it very hard to pick 1 quote or line too, there are so many in each chapter. The same as trying to read only 1 chapter a day, that's impossible. Instinct makes you want to carry on. Lol.

HI GIGI!! I'm not trying to find excuses for Monica's behaviour. I totally agree with you because, although I don't have children myself, I have 3 small-age nephews I would die or kill for. My line of reasoning was simply based on the scant known facts so far... I'm still not able to pinpoint chapters as you ladies do so well, but I'm trying my best. Whether Monica wasn't aware of or didn't care to know what Eva was going through seems of small consequence compared to her handling of the matter. Once she knew, she should have known better than cover everything up and flee into another marriage...no wonder flight is Eva's answer to her own issues with men!! At the very least I would have told Victor and have that lousy brat locked up. Forever.

Hello Julie, I know the feeling quite well. Picking up favourites is a difficult job indeed because the book is so rich in great lines and situations!!!!! CIAO.

HI GIGI!!

I'm not trying to find excuses for Monica's behaviour. I totally agree with you because, although I don't have children myself, I have 3 small-age nephews I would die or kill for. My line of reasoning was simply based on the scant known facts so far... I'm still not able to pinpoint chapters as you ladies do so well, but I'm trying my best.

Whether Monica wasn't aware of or didn't care to know what Eva was going through seems of small consequence compared to her handling of the matter. Once she knew, she should have known better than cover everything up and flee into another marriage...no wonder flight is Eva's answer to her own issues with men!!

At the very least I would have told Victor and have that lousy brat locked up. Forever.

Yes Gabri this is right on!!

HI GIGI!!

I'm not trying to find excuses for Monica's behaviour. I totally agree with you because, although I don't have children myself, I have 3 small-age nephews I would die or kill for. My line of reasoning was simply based on the scant known facts so far... I'm still not able to pinpoint chapters as you ladies do so well, but I'm trying my best.

Whether Monica wasn't aware of or didn't care to know what Eva was going through seems of small consequence compared to her handling of the matter. Once she knew, she should have known better than cover everything up and flee into another marriage...no wonder flight is Eva's answer to her own issues with men!!

At the very least I would have told Victor and have that lousy brat locked up. Forever.

I really love the way Sylvia connects Cary and Gedeon in Chap. 6. First, there's Eva linking them for their good looks: 'In his own way, Cary could give Gedeon a run for his money... er, looks. Cary was more finely featured, almost pretty, compared to Gedeon's savage beauty, but both were striking men who made you look twice...' Then Eva tells us about Cary's troublesome attitude towards sex: 'He'd finally propositioned me crudely, having come to believe the only reason people associated with him was because they wanted to f**k him. It was when I declined, firmly and irrevocably, that we finally connected and became best friends.' This reminds me of Gedeon so much!! It also shows us the only course of action Eva will have to take if she wants to win Gedeon's heart. Lastly, we see Gedeon taking Eva's black shawl from Cary's hands, like Cary's passing on the baton of Eva's well-being to someone who's important in her life. The BFF and the BFE (Best F**ker Ever) are two different people right now. Let's hope Eva will succede in finding them both in Gedeon. I'd like to know whether Sylvia intended it so, or if it's my imagination running wild.

I really love the way Sylvia connects Cary and Gedeon in Chap. 6.

First, there's Eva linking them for their good looks:

'In his own way, Cary could give Gedeon a run for his money... er, looks. Cary was more finely featured, almost pretty, compared to Gedeon's savage beauty, but both were striking men who made you look twice...'

Then Eva tells us about Cary's troublesome attitude towards sex:

'He'd finally propositioned me crudely, having come to believe the only reason people associated with him was because they wanted to f**k him. It was when I declined, firmly and irrevocably, that we finally connected and became best friends.' This reminds me of Gedeon so much!! It also shows us the only course of action Eva will have to take if she wants to win Gedeon's heart.

Lastly, we see Gedeon taking Eva's black shawl from Cary's hands, like Cary's passing on the baton of Eva's well-being to someone who's important in her life.

The BFF and the BFE (Best F**ker Ever) are two different people right now. Let's hope Eva will succede in finding them both in Gedeon.

I'd like to know whether Sylvia intended it so, or if it's my imagination running wild.

hi Gabri

What a lovely way of putting it. Passing the baton of evas well being from Cary to Gideon. I agree with you, but as their relationship progresses, and falls apart, Cary starts to have second thoughts about Gideon. Perhaps if he knew the truth, his attitude towards Gideon might mellow.

hi Gabri

What a lovely way of putting it. Passing the baton of evas well being from Cary to Gideon. I agree with you, but as their relationship progresses, and falls apart, Cary starts to have second thoughts about Gideon. Perhaps if he knew the truth, his attitude towards Gideon might mellow.

OMG Gabri I luv these labels BFF and BFE so entertaining and yes passing the baton-you nailed it!!

What made the situation even funnier at that point (him on the phone with her a 5 p.m. Friday, still pestering her) is that upstairs three hours ago, he most certainly had the touch! He had her on that couch and she was so hot for him she would have done whatever. It still intrigues me about where things would have gone if the two of them hadn't gotten interrupted.

Now, three hours later, she's gotten herself back under control and her assertiveness has come right back. Poor Gideon .... that's NOT how it's supposed to work. He used to women being totally hooked from the first taste of him. Instead, Eva's back to her sassiness -- and still has her power intact too. Despite how good that kissing/fondling had been, she still wasn't going to settle for strangers with benefits, no matter how hot she was for Gideon. Go gurl!

Chapter Six of Bared To You - The Readers Guide

This chapter covers several on hours of Saturday on, day six of the story, starting in Eva's apartment prior to him picking her up for their first date. The chapter ends in his limo with a scene that's one of the most important in the series.

Key plot developments:

• There is a major turning point in their developing relationship when they make love for the first time. Pages 88-95.
  • We learn more important things about Gideon, especially about his family history.
  • We also learn more about Eva's past, including how Cary entered her life.

New characters:

• Nathan Barker (not yet named but mentioned as Monica's former stepson)
  • Angus (brief first appearance but not yet named)
  • Victor - already mentioned in prior chapters, he appears directly for the first time in this chapter.
  • Magdalene Perez (mentioned)
  • Elizabeth Vidal, formerly Elizabeth Cross (mentioned)
  • Geoffrey Cross (deceased)
  • Christopher Vidal Sr. (mentioned)
  • Christopher Vidal Jr. (mentioned)
  • Ireland Vidal (mentioned)

Eva's secret keeping from her Dad

The chapter opens with Eva telephoning Victor.

It's what's unsaid between them that's more important, what goes through Eva's mind on the call. A second important piece of information emerges in the unfolding back story of Eva's childhood trauma, which we readers are learning about bits at a time.

Monica's stepson had done something to Eva that if her father, a cop, knew about, would have insisted that charges be pressed. Whatever happened was kept secret - secret from him and apparently secret from the public too, avoiding a scandal that would have devastated Monica. Whatever happened, Monica left a happy marriage over it.

About her present life, Eva keeps secrets from her father too. When asked about her plans for the weekend, she told a half truth she and Cary were going out to eat. She avoided saying dinner actually would be a very expensive fundraiser where she would rub elbows with rich and famous people. More significantly, she kept secret that she's actually going to dinner with the guy she met that week, a celebrity and one of the richest men in the world. She doesn't tell her father a word about Gideon.

They talked about her first week in New York - she likes her new job, plans to start Krav Maga training, she and Cary went clubbing Friday night. Victor briefly asked how her mother is doing. And Victor promised he'll visit Eva in New York sometime soon.

Gideon's family history reveals childhood trauma too

Cary researched Gideon online Saturday, and before Eva's first date, Cary gave Eva some articles and online photos to look at.

We learn Gideon had been only five years old when his financier father, Geoffrey Cross, chairman of a investment firm, was exposed for running a massive Ponzi scheme. He killed himself rather than go to prison.

Gideon's mother, Elizabeth, remarried soon afterward, to Christopher Vidal, a record company executive, and had two more children: son Christopher Jr. and daughter Ireland.

Eva guessed (correctly) a reason why Gideon closes himself off stems from childhood trauma - his father's death when Gideon had been so young.

Cary also researched Gideon's current social life, confirming what Monica said is true: he dates brunettes only, celebrity photo shots of him prove. The woman pictured with Gideon most frequently is identified as Magdalene Perez.

Cary's got baggage too

We learn that Cary and Eva's friendship began in group therapy, where Cary had started out strung out on drugs and struggling with being used sexually. After Cary came to believe Eva wanted real friendship, not sex, they became close, and Cary is now the brother she never had.

As part of his brotherly duties, Cary fetched Gideon from the apartment building lobby when Gideon arrived early to pick up Eva. Note: we'd learn in the next chapter Cary warned Gideon that if he (Gideon) hurt Eva, he'd answer to Cary for it.

Making love - then something goes wrong

The first big love scene between Eva and Gideon took place in this chapter, when she seduced him in the back of his limo on the way to the fundraiser. The sex is spectacular for both, and for a brief time in the afterglow, Gideon appears " .... stunned .... and grateful, his eyes warm and tender." (Page 94).

Unaware of his sexual past, she had no way of knowing (nor did we readers at the time) how she had helped him break through several serious sexual hang-ups. For the first time in his life, he did more than just f*** -- he made love.

But then almost immediately, he turned cold and distant. Eva then became confused and stung, unable to understand what went wrong.

Chapter A Day Re-Read Project - Today is Chapter Seven of Bared

This chapter covers the rest of Saturday night, day six of the story, while Eva and Gideon attend the fundraiser. It also covers all of Sunday (day seven) in Eva's apartment. Finally, it also covers Monday morning (day eight) at work, leading up to Eva meeting Gideon for lunch.

Key plot developments:

• Eva spends much of the fundraiser avoiding Gideon, and he ditches her by leaving alone early.
  • Magdalene also hurts Eva  at the event.
  • Eva avoids Gideon the rest of the weekend.
  • Monday, Gideon desperately tries to apologize for Saturday.

Sometime after each of us finishes reading this chapter, Sylvia would like to read our favorite quotes or paragraphs. No time limit on posting them. Forum discussions about the chapters has been moving both forward and backward, as we connect how various threads of the story have unfolded.

Oh Gideon Gideon Gideon!

Chapters 6& 7 things went from bad to worse. Poor Eva, how could it go so horribly wrong so quickly.

My favourite passage is I swallowed pass the lump in my throat. "You have a wonderful speech, Gideon. It was the highlight of my evening"

He sucked in a sharp breath at the implied insult, then shoved a hand through his hair.

Then to top it, Eva was ambushed by the delightful Magdalene.

Bet Eva wished she had stayed at home and washed her hair!!

Are we all on the same page, that the redhead who speaks to Eva, after Gideons speech is indeed Anne Lucas. I think it was mentioned in a previous post. This is the only time she pops up personally, but a later mentioned in NC.

Hi Julie I don't think SD has ever confirmed this but that is what I think...