One Chapter A Day - Re-Read Of Bared and Entwined

LN Cronan

Hi Julie,

That sounds fabulous!  Big huge reunion for everyone at my house!  We can all sit and eat a huge feast and then discuss the next book that will be coming out! :)  Everyone, just remember to bring your sweat pants (stretchy pants).  You will need them!! :)

hi Gigi

Something good to look forward to.

Lady from Australia posted on fb, asking, who our two lovers were. I don't think Gideon and Eva have reached down under yet. How bad is that. No Gideon or Eva. :-(

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My gut reaction is Gideon jumped at an unexpected opportunity to simply get Eva's attention -- and ended up impressed with her answer, an answer that showed talent and good business sense. When she chose among several different concepts her boss had presented, she explained the one she picked " .... would appeal to the largest demographic." In advertising, that's the best answer. Eva ended up picking what likely would have been Gideon's own first choice.

Eva shouldn't have even been in the meeting. It was unusual enough for a junior account executive (her boss Mark) to be making the presentation, which normally would have been done by a senior account executive at the very least. It was even more unusual for Gideon himself to be getting the presentation made to him -- it should have been given to one of the many PR people on his staff. Even Cary knew that, something he pointed out to Eva as Cary figured out the only reason Eva's boss would have met directly with Gideon Cross was because Cross had a hidden agenda -- Eva.

Fast forward several weeks to the main meeting on the project itself (the meeting where Gideon acted as cold as ice to Eva -- that meeting happened to take place mere hours before Gideon had everything in place to kill Nathan that evening.) Michael Waters, the CEO of Waters Field & Leaman, himself made the final presentation to Gideon, Mark by Waters' side to help.

So it was pure kindness (and appreciation for her working late to help him get the presentation together on such short notice) that prompted Mark to invite Eva to sit in on that very first meeting, giving her a chance to watch something like that. Gideon obviously was delighted that Eva walked in with Mark. My guess: what Gideon had originally hoped to get out of manipulating things by asking Waters Field & Leaman to have Mark Garrity meet with him on short notice was Gideon's plan to arrange for Eva to learn through the grapevine exactly who he is.

At that point, she still didn't know who yet he was, only that he was some guy who obviously had business reasons to be in the Crossfire. Up to that point, she'd seen him only twice in three days -- that first time in the lobby and the second time riding downstairs in the elevator one evening later. Rather than Gideon coming out and bluntly introducing himself "I'm Gideon Cross" he manipulated things so that someone in Eva's office, likely Mark himself, would point Gideon out to Eva and say -- that's him, Gideon Cross.

When first asked to pick one of the several concepts Mark presented at the very first meeting, she sidestepped by answering she thought they were all brilliant. Gideon threatened to clear the room in order to get her alone so she's answer honestly (without Mark plus two of Gideon's people -- good looking brunettes, by the way -- there.) Oh I'll bet Gideon wanted Eva to himself in the room. He ended up having to settle for getting her to hang back a moment at the elevators.

Cary saw right through the whole thing -- Eva's boss getting asked for by name to do this project and Gideon himself meeting with Mark. As soon as Eva got home that night and told Cary what had happened in the meeting, including the hottie's name was "Mr. Cross" Cary easily determined online the guy who'd been pestering Eva for days now was none other than Gideon Cross.

See...I didn't know this....So Mark shouldn't have been at the meeting? We know Eva went just b/c Mark asked her to...but ..if she hadn't gone...Gideon would've attempted another way of meeting her? I'm confused about this. I was confused as to why Cary was saying that to her also.

I also don't understand how Eva fell into Gideon's arms....lol...woulnd't there have been a (probably) long conference table and Gideon would've been sitting at the end...so...unless the end was by the door, how would he ahve had time to stand and get to the door when she entered? I don't know...I just don't get how she fell into him..Not that I didn't enjoy reading about it! :)

See...I didn't know this....So Mark shouldn't have been at the meeting? We know Eva went just b/c Mark asked her to...but ..if she hadn't gone...Gideon would've attempted another way of meeting her? I'm confused about this. I was confused as to why Cary was saying that to her also.

I also don't understand how Eva fell into Gideon's arms....lol...woulnd't there have been a (probably) long conference table and Gideon would've been sitting at the end...so...unless the end was by the door, how would he ahve had time to stand and get to the door when she entered? I don't know...I just don't get how she fell into him..Not that I didn't enjoy reading about it! :)

I can see Mark being at the initial presentation because Gideon asked for him specifically for this ad campaign. Mark asked Eva to attend so she can see (and learn about) the whole process. (I think Mark likes to teach Eva about the company and the business - stuff you don't learn in the classroom)

Good point that Gideon would have most likely been at the opposite side of the conference table... Unless of course he was running from one meeting to another and he barely made it into the room before Mark & Eva. Or many conference rooms have windows, so I wonder if he saw Eva coming with Mark (or on the security cameras when they exited the elevators) and he (Gideon) made sure to be near the door they would be entering into the conference room?

Just a thought .... Perhaps the start date for the job is based on when their pay period ends? Some companies the end of the pay period is on Monday, and the start of the next pay period is Tuesday. So starting on a Tuesday would be less headache for payroll, human resources, etc. That would explain Eva's start date.

I think Doctor Travis has made a ###### of a job with Eva, while Monica has come up as a litte more of a challenge for him.. Eva' attitude towards casual sex is so much the right one that she sounds like 'Lecture Nr. One' to me, and sure to Gideon himself as well!!

Eva seems to me to be more regretful about Monica's refusal to marry Victor for all the wrong reasons.. . and as for Monica, she has carved a life to her own liking and seems pretty happy with it. The only thing that Monica feels guilty about is her having been unable to protect her own child, and rightly so! 

Monica's leaving Barker was the only right move to do, so there sholud be no regrets on anyone's side.

As an abused child, Eva can't help feeling guilty for the havoc she thinks she has wreaked on her foster family and Doctor Travis has still a long way to go with treating Eva and Monica's relational issues!!!

Ciao Gabri,

I stated in an earlier posting that I thought Dr. Lucas is despicable for many reasons.  If he treated Gideon, then he violated Doctor -Patient Privilege and as such would be disreputable in my and many people's eyes.

The second point is that Dr. Lucas is a mean spiteful little man, who doesn't have the b***s to confront Gideon about sleeping with his wife, so instead Dr. Lucas picks on the emotionally weakest people in Gideon's life (by filling their heads with self doubt etc.), which is a punk a** thing to do in my book.

As far as Monica is concerned, I saw the situation a little differently.  I think that Monica should carry around a HUGE TRUCK LOAD of GUILT!!!  She lived with that little girl for four years while  that little girl was being raped and tortured and Monica didn't notice anything.  I just want to vomit when  I sit and think about that.  Monica neglected her daughter in the most basic of ways.   I have to wonder whether Monica was ever emotionally connected to her daughter at all.  Who was bathing this kid, washing her underwear, tucking her in at night?  If Monica would have done any of those things than she would have seen at least some of  the signs that her daughter was being abused.  I believe that a mother has a moral and legal obligation to see to her child's well being and I think that Monica failed in many basic ways.  It wasn't as if Monica could rely  on her parents (Eva's grandparents) or Aunts/Uncles, sisters or brothers.  So the responsibility fell on Monica's shoulders and I get the feeling that she passed it off to her household staff to deal with.  In my eyes that is wrong.  What do you think?  What does everyone think?

I can see Mark being at the initial presentation because Gideon asked for him specifically for this ad campaign. Mark asked Eva to attend so she can see (and learn about) the whole process. (I think Mark likes to teach Eva about the company and the business - stuff you don't learn in the classroom)

Good point that Gideon would have most likely been at the opposite side of the conference table... Unless of course he was running from one meeting to another and he barely made it into the room before Mark & Eva. Or many conference rooms have windows, so I wonder if he saw Eva coming with Mark (or on the security cameras when they exited the elevators) and he (Gideon) made sure to be near the door they would be entering into the conference room?

Hi Peachies,

I thought that it would have been mandatory for Mark to attend the presentation meetings.  He was the person who was assigned the account wasn't he (or at least he was one of the people who were assigned to this account)?  I thought that it was highly unusual for someone with Eva's employment title, to attend a meeting like that (she was an entry level employee).  What do you think?  What does everyone think?

hi Gigi

Something good to look forward to.

Lady from Australia posted on fb, asking, who our two lovers were. I don't think Gideon and Eva have reached down under yet. How bad is that. No Gideon or Eva. :-(

Hi Julie,

I can't believe that the book hasn't been released in Australia yet...gasp!!!  Oh, no!! I would have thought for sure, Australia would pick up the Crossfire Series.  How odd.  I would have suggested that maybe some of the ladies could send over a copy of the books to the soon-to-be fans, but then I thought that there is no way that any of us would give up our copies.  We need it for our homework assignments. :)

Eva is very selfless when it comes to Cary. Many times she goes to functions with him, hoping to get some exposure, to further his career. Both rely on each other heavily, but Cary I think needs Eva more, through her mums social life. Where would Cary be without Eva. I reckon he would possibly be dead. Which means, he owes Eva big time.

Hi Julie,

I was wondering about that.  Does Eva go for that reason or does she go because her mother and step-father support the charities of her choice?  Eva mentioned that attending charity functions is a tiring ordeal but that she does it because child abuse charities are very close to her heart.   What do you think?  What does everyone think?

Gideon has already started to give up some of his precious control in order to have Eva. Is it Eva's resistance that makes her more attractive to him? He has to be out of his mind wondering why the ###### he is willing to make concessions for her, yet he can't help himself from doing it. These are surely foreign feelings for our beloved Gideon.

Hi Kirsten,
I just finished writing this great post....and I lost it again!!  Ugh!!  One of these days, I am going to have to learn to write, copy and post.  Sigh!  Ok, now back to the response I was going to make.  I think that it must have surprised Gideon greatly when Eva gave him the brush-off.   Here is a man who built a billion  dollar empire by not taking no for an answer, so imagine what must have been going through his mind when Eva came along.  What do you think?  What does everyone think?

I don't know Gigi I think she was just so ###### attracted to him that all common sense and self esteem flew out the window but she was also attracted to the fact that he was so attracted to her; being impressed by the lengths he was going to to get all " hot and sweaty" with her as Eva herself says...

Hi Sscrph,

It could very well be.  I have never personally had someone chase with me with kind of ferocity or vigor so I can't draw on from personal experience, but maybe it was a combination of both things.  Gideon chased Eva with passion and she slowly started to find herself or maybe tried not to lose herself in Gideon.  What do you think?  What does everyone think?

hi.

I think he would have been wearing his b***s as earrings!! I like his honesty though. I think i would have been taken aback a bit, but not offended that much. Would it turn you off? Depends on what sort of personality you are. These days anything seems to go!

Hi Julie,

I think that if a man tried an approach like Gideon's then he would have to be really, really, really good looking and d**n charming to get away with a stunt like that.  Otherwise he would have wound up with his "accoutrements" mounted up over my fireplace!  If men can hunt game for sport then I can mount those up over my fireplace for sport too!! :)

Hi Peachies,

I thought that it would have been mandatory for Mark to attend the presentation meetings. He was the person who was assigned the account wasn't he (or at least he was one of the people who were assigned to this account)? I thought that it was highly unusual for someone with Eva's employment title, to attend a meeting like that (she was an entry level employee). What do you think? What does everyone think?

I went back and reread that section in BTY. Yes Mark should have been there, cross industry asked for him specifically. Mark invited Eva to join him so she could observe the entire process and learn more. So normally a person in her entry assistant level position would not be at the meeting. Eva mentions how Mark has been showing and teaching her a lot since she started with him.

I went back and reread that section in BTY. Yes Mark should have been there, cross industry asked for him specifically. Mark invited Eva to join him so she could observe the entire process and learn more. So normally a person in her entry assistant level position would not be at the meeting. Eva mentions how Mark has been showing and teaching her a lot since she started with him.

Hi Peachies, 

I agree with you.  It is nice of Mark to let Eva in on the inner workings of the advertising industry.  I think that kind of experience and knowledge would prove invaluable to Eva.

Btw...just started Seven Years to Sin...very good so far....lots of similarites to Gideon and Eva :)

I loved Seven Years To Sin, too!

Alistar and Jessica----agree--- a lot of similarities to Eva and Gideon!

It was hard for me to put that book down, too!

Ciao Gabri,

I stated in an earlier posting that I thought Dr. Lucas is despicable for many reasons.  If he treated Gideon, then he violated Doctor -Patient Privilege and as such would be disreputable in my and many people's eyes.

The second point is that Dr. Lucas is a mean spiteful little man, who doesn't have the b***s to confront Gideon about sleeping with his wife, so instead Dr. Lucas picks on the emotionally weakest people in Gideon's life (by filling their heads with self doubt etc.), which is a punk a** thing to do in my book.

As far as Monica is concerned, I saw the situation a little differently.  I think that Monica should carry around a HUGE TRUCK LOAD of GUILT!!!  She lived with that little girl for four years while  that little girl was being raped and tortured and Monica didn't notice anything.  I just want to vomit when  I sit and think about that.  Monica neglected her daughter in the most basic of ways.   I have to wonder whether Monica was ever emotionally connected to her daughter at all.  Who was bathing this kid, washing her underwear, tucking her in at night?  If Monica would have done any of those things than she would have seen at least some of  the signs that her daughter was being abused.  I believe that a mother has a moral and legal obligation to see to her child's well being and I think that Monica failed in many basic ways.  It wasn't as if Monica could rely  on her parents (Eva's grandparents) or Aunts/Uncles, sisters or brothers.  So the responsibility fell on Monica's shoulders and I get the feeling that she passed it off to her household staff to deal with.  In my eyes that is wrong.  What do you think?  What does everyone think?

I agree if Monica were doing the day to day things that moms do there is no way she could have missed the signs of abuse not to mention Eva's behavior must surely have been suspect at the time I can't believe a 10 year old child could be so secretive...I wish Monica did kill Nathan so she could o to jail like she deserves for being an unfit mother!!

Ciao Gabri,

morning all

If feel desperately sad for Eva, she feels guilt because her mother feels guilty. Eva states that the staff had to know what was going on, that they must have heard or saw something but did nothing. What the heck was Monica doing all this time? For four years this child had to endure unspeakable horror. If Monica had been a proper mother she would have notice. I know she got pregnant accidentally, but Eva was more of an accessory, rather than a daughter.

Hi Julie,

I can't believe that the book hasn't been released in Australia yet...gasp!!!  Oh, no!! I would have thought for sure, Australia would pick up the Crossfire Series.  How odd.  I would have suggested that maybe some of the ladies could send over a copy of the books to the soon-to-be fans, but then I thought that there is no way that any of us would give up our copies.  We need it for our homework assignments. :)

morning Gigi

Sorry I couldn't wait up last night. My bed was calling.

This sort of homework I like. Think I would get my first ever A* if I studied this subject. Lol

There are a few countries around the globe that ave yet to meet our love birds. Couldn't imagine not having Gideon in my life. Sigh!!

Hi Sscrph,

It could very well be.  I have never personally had someone chase with me with kind of ferocity or vigor so I can't draw on from personal experience, but maybe it was a combination of both things.  Gideon chased Eva with passion and she slowly started to find herself or maybe tried not to lose herself in Gideon.  What do you think?  What does everyone think?

hi Gigi

I don't think Eva has had anyone chase after her in the past. She was the one doing the chasing to find the love that she was craving, debasing herself all the time.

She must have felt flattered that someone was chasing after her, albeit in a crude manner.

Chapter Five of Bared To You - The Readers Guide

This chapter covers most of Saturday, day six of the story, starting in the morning in Eva's apartment and ending there early evening.

Key plot developments:

• Despite the fact that just one day before Gideon was insisting (and Eva was agreeing) they would not date, Gideon asks her to be his date that night at a high profile society event.  
  • This chapter also includes the second instance Gideon and Eva engage in serious sexual contact (the first time had been in his office the day before.) 
  • We learn a little more about Gideon's background, this time through Monica after Cary casually mentions to Monica that Gideon's become interested in Eva.

New characters:

None in this chapter. The next chapter, however, will feature first mentions of several characters in Gideon's life.

Gideon asks Eva out

On Friday night, Gideon had struck a deal with Eva that set the boundaries of how their sexual relationship would start. He'd agreed to her major condition they spend some friendly time together so that they could develop a personal connection before Eva would go to bed with him. In fact, they spend their first friendly time together over drinks at a nightclub he owns. Eva agreed to his rule they would not date - because he keeps his sexual relationships separate from dating and even from his friendships. Besides, all along, Eva had been telling herself she didn't want a relationship at this point in her busy life.

Yet in this scene, Saturday evening, he further changes his rules by combining the two things he separates: sex and dating.

Gideon invites Eva to be his date that night at a high-profile society event, a charity fundraiser for an advocacy center that helps abused children. Gideon had already been planning to attend this event anyway. But he found out Eva also would be attending, because her socialite mother supports this same charity.

Eva's first reaction is to try to turn him down. "That's not what I meant when I said we should spend time together." (page 75).

When asked why she doesn't want to go with Gideon, she explains it's a high profile event -- an obvious reference to the fact she knows Gideon is a celebrity and if she goes to something like that with him, she'll come under media scrutiny. Plus she fears her mother will make assumptions. But in the end she agrees.

Gideon moves the sexual relationship further along

Gideon's way to get Eva to agree isn't to argue with her -- instead, he uses his sexual skills to further bring Eva under his spell. For the second time in as many days, he starts kissing her and quickly gets her onto a couch beneath him, this time in her apartment instead of his office.

The office incident went only as far as petting, but this time Gideon performs digital and oral sex on her, getting her to come several times while she lays there submissive. He remains fully clothed throughout, and things do not progress any further than him getting her off. Immediately afterward, he leaves, telling her he'll be back to pick her up at 7 p.m.

Gideon's crush draws attention from other people

Cary wasn't home at the time Gideon showed up early evening, but he is home Saturday morning to witness an incident in which Gideon makes his (Gideon's) first romantic gesture toward Eva. 

Guessing correctly Eva would have woken up with a hangover from having partied Friday night, Gideon has delivered a wrapped present - a "hangover cure" for Eva to drink, some sort of hair-of-the-dog small bottle of liquor.

Later that morning, Eva and Cary meet her mother at a day spa trip with two purposes: Monica spending quality personal time with the pair of them, and all of them getting beauty treatments ahead of the high society event they're all scheduled to attend that night.

Up to this point, Eva hadn't mentioned a word about Gideon to her mother, because Eva didn't want the hassle of her mother trying to help things along in her (Monica's) obvious goal of making sure Eva has the same sort of financially secure future Monica built for herself - landing a rich husband.

But Cary lets the cat out of the bag - Gideon Cross has a crush on Eva. Monica is delighted. Eva insists they're just friends, saying it in a manner that makes it clear even that (friends) is a stretch. She also tries (in vain) to make her mother back off on any plans to meddle.

From what Monica tells her daughter about what she (Monica) knows concerning Gideon's celebrity status:

1. His social status is that of being one of the richest men in the world, somewhere around number 25 on the Forbes list of the top billionaires. As is usual with the super-rich, he's a philanthropist too - in his case, supporting numerous children's charities.
  2. Relationship status, he's an extremely eligible bachelor, straight and with a reputation as a ladies' man and " .... he's known to prefer brunettes ...." (page 72).

Chapter A Day Re-Read Project - Today is Chapter Six of Bared

This chapter covers several hours of Saturday, day six of the story, starting in Eva's apartment prior to him picking her up for their first date. The chapter ends in his limo.

Key plot developments:

• A pivotal scene in the saga between Eva and Gideon is in this chapter. They make love for the first time. Pages 88-95.
  • We learn several more important things about Gideon, especially about his early family life.
  • We also learn a few more thing about Eva recent past.

Remember, Sylvia's homework assignment is for us to choose a favorite line or paragraph from each chapter after we've read it. There's no time limit on picking the quote - today, tomorrow, whenever you're done reading.

Discussion about chapters has been jumping forward to later chapters as well as back to chapters already read. It's fun to connect dots in either direction.  

So much hawtness to choose from in Chapter Five .....

.... but my favorite is the final paragraph. Gideon's managed to make Eva agree to come (pun intended) with him as his date that night to a high profile fundraiser for a children's charity. His parting words as he tells her when he'll be back to her apartment later to pick her up:

"Seven o'clock, Eva." He reached down and touched my ankle, his fingertips caressing the diamond anklet I'd put on in preparation for the evening. "And keep this on. I want to f*** you while you're wearing nothing else." (page 79)

The fact Gideon asked Eva to keep that diamond ankle bracelet on so that he could f*** her wearing only that makes me think his original plan for Saturday night was to take her to his hotel room after the fundraiser.

The night's events took a much different turn than he planned, however -- good and bad. The good comes in Chapter Six, and the bad immediately follows in Chapter Seven.

Good: Eva seduced him in the back of his limo on the way to the fundraiser. She had no way of knowing it would be a turning point in his life -- after all, her knowledge of his sexual history barely scratched the surface. She did more than get him to "break rules" during that car ride. She smashed through his control fetishes that governed the only way he felt able to have intercourse was to be in complete control. It had to be in a hotel room he used exclusively for sex, the only place he'd ever had sex with any woman, including his first (and before now only) serious girlfriend. In order to come, he needed to "top" his partner by holding her down. Instead, Eva managed to "rock his world" by getting him to come in a way he didn't think was possible: her taking the lead as the top, and them doing it in the back of a limo.

Bad: As soon as Gideon came down from the sexual high, he crashed hard, unable to emotionally handle what just happened. He went on a head trip that caused him to shut down and retreat to deep inside his emotional shell. Eva assumed (wrongly) she was the one who messed up, so she went on one of her own head trips that had her run away (in a figurative sense -- she avoided Gideon as much as possible for the remainder of the evening.) And they ended up leaving the fundraiser separately. Gideon rushed out early to go do something (we'd learn much later it was to help Corrine long-distance, who'd reached him on his cell phone in the middle of the event.) Eva ended up leaving alone very soon after Gideon essentially abandoned her -- in tears being driven home by her mother's chauffeur -- not only feeling rejected, but having her worst insecurity buttons pushed hard by the woman who Gideon had been platonically dating up to that point, Magdalene Perez.

I already have my favorite moments from chapter 6 ; these of course are in addition to the limo scene which I think is so well written and I reread frequently LOL ...Anyway I love when Eva thinks to herself"I wanted to please him, I wanted to know I was capable of reaching

inside Gideon Cross and there was nobody stopping me but him and then later when the date fell apart at the Advocacy Dinner when she skewers him by saying"You gave a wonderful speech Gideon, it was the highlight of my evening." I know I'm getting ahead of myself but mission accomplished Eva!!

So much hawtness to choose from in Chapter Five .....

.... but my favorite is the final paragraph. Gideon's managed to make Eva agree to come (pun intended) with him as his date that night to a high profile fundraiser for a children's charity. His parting words as he tells her when he'll be back to her apartment later to pick her up:

"Seven o'clock, Eva." He reached down and touched my ankle, his fingertips caressing the diamond anklet I'd put on in preparation for the evening. "And keep this on. I want to f*** you while you're wearing nothing else." (page 79)

hi LN Cronan

Judging by that comment, he obviously had the evening planned out. Dancing, dinner, sexy time. So why did he let the wicked witch-Corrine- making him feel guilty decide to abandon Eva. I know he felt sorry for her, but why not say, busy at the moment, see you tomorrow. A gentlemen he wasn't.