One Chapter A Day - Re-Read Of Bared and Entwined

LN Cronan

"I think Eva is a lot smarter than her mother and does not wish to emulate her, I think Eva flees for her own self preservation ...   "       

Agree, Sscrph....

I also think that Eva is WAY more mature than Monica

But I also wonder---why didn't Eva stay in California after she got her Master's degree?

Two words: Madison Avenue, which is to advertising what Wall Street is to finance. It's even possible the Crossfire is literally on Madison Ave. The Crossfire is in midtown, and that's the same part of Manhattan where Madison Ave. is located. Even if the Crossfire isn't literally on that street, it is in that same business district. It makes sense why Eva works in a midtown skyscraper, given that she works for a prominent agency.

We learned in Chapter One that her stepfather, Stanton, tried in vain to get her to take some cushy job working for one of his many business connections. He's a financier. We know from Chapter One that Eva stood up to Stanton by insisting on landing an entry level job in her chosen field on her own merits. (Note: Stanton's office is in downtown, better known as lower Manhattan. That's the heart of the financial services industry in the United States, the part of New York where Wall Street lies.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Kirsten,

I think that if anyone ever got pay-back (for their nasty actions) in this book it was Magdalene.  Could you just imagine how mortifying it must have been for Magdalene to realize that Gideon; a man whom she was clearly in love with, viewed a tape where Magdalene was confessing her inner most secrets and desires about a man who doesn’t even know she exists in that way, all the while she is getting screwed (literally) by that man’s brother, who had no other interest in her other than for her va***a?  I think it would be horrifying, to say the least.

I don’t think that Gideon could have said anything else to her, chastise her or scold her, or make her feel any worse than she already did in that moment.  In essence Magdalene got payback from another source.  What do you think?  What does everyone think?

I totally agree Gigi I would not want to be sitting there having THAT conversation with Gideon LOL!!

FYI Ladies, I asked some time ago if the Redhead at the advocacy dinner was Mrs Lucus and I tweeted SD about it and she said "No. Guaranted Gideon would've noticed her sitting nearby"..!!

I didn't think that was Anne Lucas. However, i wonder if we will meet her in the upcoming books?

The probability that Christopher hung around with Magdalene at the fundraiser got me thinking about something Caroline told us from the things she learned when she got to attend that in-person live question and answer session with Sylvia. Sylvia said that Corrine's family and Gideon's family know one another -- which makes perfect sense. Corrine and Gideon were engaged for one year, so the two families would have been involved in the planning of the wedding, especially the two mothers. It's possible the connection went back even further, which could be one of the reasons Corrine latched onto Gideon his freshman year at Columbia University.

OK, keeping this in mind -- here's a new evil Christopher Jr. theory I've developed. Timeline:

• During the three years Gideon and Corrine were a couple, Christopher Jr. would have been in his very early teens. In Corrine's eyes, he would have been just some kid. But physically he would be transitioning into puberty. His hormones would have been switching on, and his sex drive would be born.
  • Meanwhile, for the first time ever, Gideon probably would have been getting some positive attention. He already was starting to show an amazing talent for making money. Given his sharp intelligence and drive to excel, he probably was making the Dean's List. And now he had landed a spectacular society girl.
  • So Christopher's later jealousies about how Gideon is better looking, richer, etc., could have been born then. Throw in teen-aged fantasies about women, and this could have been when Christopher developed a general fixation with all females after Gideon and possibly a specific obsession with Corrine.
  • Soon after Corrine broke her engagement to Gideon, she married someone else and moved to Europe.

Fast forward to the present day:

• Corrine is living permanently in New York again, every bit as beautiful -- and every bit still obsessed with Gideon.
  • Now the tabloids are all abuzz about Gideon and Corrine dating (and probably rampantly speculating the renewed relationship is on the fast track to marriage, as soon as Corrine's divorce goes through.)
  • Corrine probably is back in touch with Gideon's family.
  • Christopher no longer is just some kid -- he's a hot young executive in the recording business, and a very charming guy to boot. He's not drop dead gorgeous like Gideon, but he's a good looking man too.

Christopher is probably circling Corrine like a shark, looking for a vulnerable opening to work his way in. Because Corrine would be the ultimate prize and ultimate payback if Christopher could seduce Gideon's future wife.

I wonder what's going to happen between Christopher and Corrine when she gets kicked to the curb in Entwined.

The probability that Christopher hung around with Magdalene at the fundraiser got me thinking about something Caroline told us from the things she learned when she got to attend that in-person live question and answer session with Sylvia. Sylvia said that Corrine's family and Gideon's family know one another -- which makes perfect sense. Corrine and Gideon were engaged for one year, so the two families would have been involved in the planning of the wedding, especially the two mothers. It's possible the connection went back even further, which could be one of the reasons Corrine latched onto Gideon his freshman year at Columbia University.

OK, keeping this in mind -- here's a new evil Christopher Jr. theory I've developed. Timeline:

• During the three years Gideon and Corrine were a couple, Christopher Jr. would have been in his very early teens. In Corrine's eyes, he would have been just some kid. But physically he would be transitioning into puberty. His hormones would have been switching on, and his sex drive would be born.
  • Meanwhile, for the first time ever, Gideon probably would have been getting some positive attention. He already was starting to show an amazing talent for making money. Given his sharp intelligence and drive to excel, he probably was making the Dean's List. And now he had landed a spectacular society girl.
  • So Christopher's later jealousies about how Gideon is better looking, richer, etc., could have been born then. Throw in teen-aged fantasies about women, and this could have been when Christopher developed a general fixation with all females after Gideon and possibly a specific obsession with Corrine.
  • Soon after Corrine broke her engagement to Gideon, she married someone else and moved to Europe.

• Corrine is living permanently in New York again, every bit as beautiful -- and every bit still obsessed with Gideon.
  • Now the tabloids are all abuzz about Gideon and Corrine dating (and probably rampantly speculating the renewed relationship is on the fast track to marriage, as soon as Corrine's divorce goes through.)
  • Christopher no longer is just some kid -- he's a hot young executive in the recording business, and a very charming guy to boot. He's not drop dead gorgeous like Gideon, but he's a good looking man too.

Christopher is probably circling Corrine like a shark, looking for a vulnerable opening to work his way in. Because Corrine would be the ultimate prize and ultimate payback if Christopher could seduce Gideon's future wife.

I wonder what's going to happen between Christopher and Corrine when she gets kicked to the curb in Entwined.

huh! You have an evil mind lady. Lol

Christopher doesn't seem to mind Gideons cast offs eh?

I want to kick the weasel into touch. This man has no conscience, the fact they are friends of the family. Shaking my head here.

Poor Eva.

On page 122 , she is already having doubts. Her insecurities surfacing. ""In the back of my mind, I knew these feelings of happiness couldn't last. Everything was going too well" she needs a dose of confidence in the relationship department!

It didn't help when her boss had a chat with her.

I don't think Corinne will look twice at Gideon romantically as he is so much younger but are you getting at them forming an evil alliance of some sort?

My favorite quote of chapter 8 is "The moment I became grateful he was spending time with me would be the beginning of the end. Neither of us would respect me if that happened." I feel this comment is so telling as to Eva's state of mind and how she will react in the future. As we know, Eva feels Gideon leaves her when she believes he saw pictures of her. Eva doesn't believe that Gideon would want to be with her no matter what. She doesn't feel he could possibly feel about her the way she feels about him.

My favorite thoughts are right at the end of the chapter because it is so telling of what is to come...Everything inside me twisted into a mess of wild and vibrating anxiety. I had no idea what I was doing with him, only that I couldn't stop even if I wanted to.

Just a side note if anyone is interested...I have this decorating book called Alexa Hampton the Language of Interior Design and inside are gorgeous photos of many Manhattan apartments. I have been looking through it and now I can visualize what exactly Gideon's and Eva's places look like.. There is even a great photo of a marble entry foyer for Gideon's place!! It's making my re-read so much more enjoyable.

My favorite part of Chapter Eight is:

"I want to keep feeling the way I feel when I'm with you. Just tell me what I have to do. And give me some room to screw up. I've never done this before. There's a learning curve." ~ Gideon to Eva, Bared page 115.

I picked this over some really hawt things for two important reasons.

1. This is what convinced Eva that Gideon actually really did want her as a girlfriend. That he was serious about her and really sorry he screwed up on Saturday. Up until that point, all his pleading with Eva was falling on deaf ears. She was standing firm - he'd blown it and she doesn't want to see him anymore. Then he told her what he really wants -- he wants how good he feels when he's with her, he'll agree with any relationship conditions she has -- and she needs to just cut him a little slack, because he's learning for the first time how to be in a relationship.
  2. "Give me some room to screw up" was pretty prophetic, because he was going to keep screwing up. Between his own issues and the fact he'd never really been in love before, he'd keep screwing up. Mess up handling the problem of his nightmares. Seriously screw up the whole way he handled Corrine's reappearance in his life. Worst of all, screw up the way he handled the Nathan situation, start to finish.

Welcome Andi!!! And thanks for finding Eva's age for us. I knew I'd read it somewhere, but I couldn't remember if it was in one of the novels or as a spoiler question answer from Sylvia. Now we know the source!

Starting at around Chapter Three, I started posting the guides the morning after (well, my morning after in the eastern U.S.) we all read. So if you go back into this threat and look around the 5-6 a.m. time frame, you should find each.

Yes Eva's age fits with her educational level 4 years of college plus 2 years additional for her masters degree would put her at 24.

Hi Gigi,

I am in total agreement with you. I think Cary is worrying about his financial and his well-being now that Gideon's in the picture. In fact he jokingly brings it up to Eva when she mentions the Vegas trip in RIY - " is this where you're going to tell me you're moving in with Cross". I want Cary to be happy and be financially independent of of Eva because he can't expect him & Eva to be roommates forever or rely on someone else to help support him financially. I have a weird feeling once Eva moves in with Gideon, he will get financial support through Monica & Stanton that is if he's not seriously involved with Trey or Tatiana to the point of moving in together and/or he's not where he is successfully in his modeling career after nathan almost killed him. what do you think? what does everyone else think?

Ciao Gabri,

I think that on some level, Cary may be feeling a little bit threatened by Gideon's presence.  Up until then, Cary always had Eva to himself.  He and Eva were best friends and I am sure that on some level Cary is aware of how much Eva and her family have been helping him financially and emotionally.

I think that Cary would have seen that Gideon (even for all his trouble and emotional turmoil) must have been very different from all the other men that Eva ever dated.  In some ways I think that maybe Cary may have started to worry about his financial future and his well-being. 

I am sure that Cary wants his friend to be happy but I think that Cary also worries about what will happen to him if Eva and Gideon get married.  Thus far, Cary's career hasn't taken off and he hasn't been able to successfully maintain a relationship either.  Eva and her family have been Cary's sole supporters.  Surely those things are not lost on Cary.   What do you think?  What does everyone think?

It all comes down to friendship and ~ Gideon's going to keep Magdalene as his friend because she changed her attitude and started being nicer to Eva. Corrine is definitely getting the boot big time because of her cruel ways she hurt Eva & she didn't seem to care about how Gideon was feeling. Eva threw that in Corrine's face that she should be a better friend to him and see that he's in pain.  

I believe Corrinne will be kicked to the curb too but Magdalene will be staying in the picture.   Eva did Gideon about the comment she made at the dinner and you knew he was annoyed.   I'm sure he said something to her and she's trying to makeup for it to Eva

@ Julie & Gigi,

I'm glad I'm not the only one who reads like a turtle. I won't be done until reading until probably the 8th and I'll have to force myself from going online for the spoilers! Even though I got the Nook Color so that my bookshelf will thank me for not bombarding it with more books lol, I still find myself also buying the actual book itself because I miss holding an actual book in my hand.  

Bless you. Am seriously thinking about e books, they get released sooner for some reason. But I still like a proper book. Good and old fashioned.

Ln~ I like your theory! I wouldn't doubt that Christopher Jr is circling around Corrine and once she gets the boot, he will swoop in and seduce her like he did with Magadelene over her heartbreak for Gideon.  What's funny is that when Eva went to visit Corrine at her apartment and Corrine looked freshly f****, I thought for sure she and creepy Christopher had indeed hooked up lol