One Chapter A Day - Re-Read Of Bared and Entwined

LN Cronan

Hi Everyone,

My favourite line from Chapter 5 is:

"I can still feel you, Eva.  Still taste you.  I've been hard since you left, through two meetings and one teleconference.  You've got the advantage; state your demands."

Those words signify a man who is completely smitten.  I think that he has also never said such things to another woman before and that at this point, with all of the rebuffs that Eva dished out, Gideon is literally willing to do almost anything to spend more alone time with her. 

Gideon has already started to give up some of his precious control in order to have Eva. Is it Eva's resistance that makes her more attractive to him? He has to be out of his mind wondering why the he is willing to make concessions for her, yet he can't help himself from doing it. These are surely foreign feelings for our beloved Gideon.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Julie,

I don't think that Eva had a good self image when she and Gideon first started dating.  I am also surprised that Eva didn't freak out when she found out that Gideon was having s** (or was inside of her) before she woke up.  To me that is a huge violation of one's personal body space.  I have to wonder how much of Eva's reactions were about love, or previous unhealthy relationship patterns.  What do you think?  What does everyone think?

I don't know Gigi I think she was just so attracted to him that all common sense and self esteem flew out the window but she was also attracted to the fact that he was so attracted to her; being impressed by the lengths he was going to to get all " hot and sweaty" with her as Eva herself says...

I'm sorry, sorry, super-sorry, but which chapter should we be discussing today?

The only schedule is which chapter is being re-read: one chapter per day. Today we're on Chapter Five of Bared To You. After each of us has finished reading a chapter, Sylvia would like to hear from fans which line or paragraph each of us liked best in that particular chapter.

There's no set schedule for which chapters to discuss. We've been going back and forth, as it turns out, because of connecting dots backward and forward.

I hope I didn't confuse you by my system of both posting the summary of Chapter Four this morning as well as the post about Chapter Five being the chapter of the day today.

Knowing that people read at different speeds and recognizing that there will be days in this fun project that many of us won't get to read at all, I've been creating a sort of daily cheat sheet -- a Reader's Guide. After asking for some members thoughts, I set a schedule for when I'll aim to post each of these guides: the day after each chapter was read. For example, we read Chapter Four yesterday, so I posted the summary today. We're reading Five today, so I'll post that summary tomorrow.

If it causes confusion, I'll change the schedule. More thoughts, friends? Should I post the summary guide on the same day that particular chapter is on schedule, instead of waiting until the morning after?

Hi Julie,

You are right about the risk part.  I am glad that Eva took that risk.  I am not sure that I would take such a risk if a guy spoke to me like that.  I have a feeling the "lad" would have wound up with a black eye or two...:)

It's a good thing Eva suffers from low self esteem or Gideon' s beautiful face would have definitely been marred by a couple of black eyes from the average woman...LOL

The only schedule is which chapter is being re-read: one chapter per day. Today we're on Chapter Five of Bared To You. After each of us has finished reading a chapter, Sylvia would like to hear from fans which line or paragraph each of us liked best in that particular chapter.

There's no set schedule for which chapters to discuss. We've been going back and forth, as it turns out, because of connecting dots backward and forward.

I hope I didn't confuse you by my system of both posting the summary of Chapter Four this morning as well as the post about Chapter Five being the chapter of the day today.

Knowing that people read at different speeds and recognizing that there will be days in this fun project that many of us won't get to read at all, I've been creating a sort of daily cheat sheet -- a Reader's Guide. After asking for some members thoughts, I set a schedule for when I'll aim to post each of these guides: the day after each chapter was read. For example, we read Chapter Four yesterday, so I posted the summary today. We're reading Five today, so I'll post that summary tomorrow.

If it causes confusion, I'll change the schedule. More thoughts, friends? Should I post the summary guide on the same day that particular chapter is on schedule, instead of waiting until the morning after?

afternoon

I will go with whatever is easier. Your just doing a great job, especially as you re working, and with that vivid imagination !!!! I think you have covered so many scenarios, of where this story could go. Thankyou.

It's a good thing Eva suffers from low self esteem or Gideon' s beautiful face would have definitely been marred by a couple of black eyes from the average woman...LOL

hi.

I think he would have been wearing his b***s as earrings!! I like his honesty though. I think i would have been taken aback a bit, but not offended that much. Would it turn you off? Depends on what sort of personality you are. These days anything seems to go!

Gideon has already started to give up some of his precious control in order to have Eva. Is it Eva's resistance that makes her more attractive to him? He has to be out of his mind wondering why the ###### he is willing to make concessions for her, yet he can't help himself from doing it. These are surely foreign feelings for our beloved Gideon.

When Eva first crossed his path, Gideon's approach to sex was rigid: he kept sex partners separate from all other areas of his life: friendship, business .... everything. By Chapter Five, Eva finally pieced that together and told him as much -- and he conceded that was in fact, his usual position.

But by then he'd already begun shifting his position, because his "system" wasn't going to work. Not work for Eva, and as it became increasingly apparent, not work for himself either.

Under his usual custom-level system, Eva should have instantly given in to his desire to f**** her. Without question. Experience taught Gideon that whenever he told a woman he wanted to f**** her, the instant answer was yes. But no woman was allowed to expect anything beyond sex.

Eva didn't have a comfort level with simply f****** men anymore. That's what she'd been doing self-destructively for years, but Dr. Travis taught her to respect herself enough to quit sleeping around. Now, she believed in mutual self-respect with it cae to sex, which meant she and a lover needed to be on friendly terms.

Thus Gideon agreed on Friday that he would spend friendly time with her outside of bed. They both agreed this would NOT mean they were on a date. They shared friendly time at his nightclub Friday night -- which would set the stage for Eva feeling comfortable having sex with him soon.

Yet the very next day, Saturday, what did Gideon do? Take her as his date to a very high profile society function, complete with a red carpet press photo gauntlet. My guess: he wasn't even consciously aware of it yet, but he wanted exclusivity with Eva. And "Friends With Benefits" wasn't going to guarantee that. Because if he and Eva were simply friendly sex partners, that would leave her free at any time to enter a full-fledged relationship with someone else. She could go get a real boyfriend any time she so choose.

Which is why by Monday, Gideon bent his rule even further by asking her to (and getting her to agree to) becoming a full-fledged couple. Spending lots of time together both in and out of bed in an arrangement that included sexual exclusivity on both sides. By then, Gideon genuinely wanted to spend as much time as possible with her, because of how good it felt to be with her. And his jealous insecurity beneath the surface had already kicked in -- no way did he want any other man having Eva.

afternoon

I will go with whatever is easier. Your just doing a great job, especially as you re working, and with that vivid imagination !!!! I think you have covered so many scenarios, of where this story could go. Thankyou.

You're very welcome, Julie. I am fortunate to have been given two talents: a natural speed reader and an ability to write. The speed reading allows me to devour books. The ability to write earns me a living.

I figured since I'd want to discuss practically everything that jumped out at me in each chapter anyway ..... why not sum it all up in one big post anyway to help others chime in too. Thus the Reader's Guide each day.

And I've saved each of these guides to my own computer so I'll have a master timeline on hand when on June 4, I sit down to devour Entwined in one sitting.

When Eva first crossed his path, Gideon's approach to sex was rigid: he kept sex partners separate from all other areas of his life: friendship, business .... everything. By Chapter Five, Eva finally pieced that together and told him as much -- and he conceded that was in fact, his usual position.

But by then he'd already begun shifting his position, because his "system" wasn't going to work. Not work for Eva, and as it became increasingly apparent, not work for himself either.

Under his usual custom-level system, Eva should have instantly given in to his desire to f**** her. Without question. Experience taught Gideon that whenever he told a woman he wanted to f**** her, the instant answer was yes. But no woman was allowed to expect anything beyond sex.

Eva didn't have a comfort level with simply f****** men anymore. That's what she'd been doing self-destructively for years, but Dr. Travis taught her to respect herself enough to quit sleeping around. Now, she believed in mutual self-respect with it cae to sex, which meant she and a lover needed to be on friendly terms.

Thus Gideon agreed on Friday that he would spend friendly time with her outside of bed. They both agreed this would NOT mean they were on a date. They shared friendly time at his nightclub Friday night -- which would set the stage for Eva feeling comfortable having sex with him soon.

Yet the very next day, Saturday, what did Gideon do? Take her as his date to a very high profile society function, complete with a red carpet press photo gauntlet. My guess: he wasn't even consciously aware of it yet, but he wanted exclusivity with Eva. And "Friends With Benefits" wasn't going to guarantee that. Because if he and Eva were simply friendly sex partners, that would leave her free at any time to enter a full-fledged relationship with someone else. She could go get a real boyfriend any time she so choose.

Which is why by Monday, Gideon bent his rule even further by asking her to (and getting her to agree to) becoming a full-fledged couple. Spending lots of time together both in and out of bed in an arrangement that included sexual exclusivity on both sides. By then, Gideon genuinely wanted to spend as much time as possible with her, because of how good it felt to be with her. And his jealous insecurity beneath the surface had already kicked in -- no way did he want any other man having Eva.

hi

I agree with that. But adding, he was falling or had fallen in love with her, something he had never done before. Poor mans emotions must have been all over the place.

thanks a lot!!!!!

hi

In the very first paragraph, Eva admits, that she wants him enough to take a calculated risk and break her rules. Both of them are bending to get what they want. That is a big step for both of them. Learning to trust so early on in the relationship.

Eva is very selfless when it comes to Cary. Many times she goes to functions with him, hoping to get some exposure, to further his career. Both rely on each other heavily, but Cary I think needs Eva more, through her mums social life. Where would Cary be without Eva. I reckon he would possibly be dead. Which means, he owes Eva big time.

One of my favourite lines in this chapter, "the way he looked in worn jeans and a t-shirt made me want to undress him with my teeth."

Then there's the s*xy line: "I'm going to tell you all the ways I want you to please me, Eva, and you're going to do it all....take it all, and we're going to have explosive, primal, no-holds-barred s*x. You know that, don't you? You can feel how it'll be between us. Swoon!!!

hi.

I think he would have been wearing his b***s as earrings!! I like his honesty though. I think i would have been taken aback a bit, but not offended that much. Would it turn you off? Depends on what sort of personality you are. These days anything seems to go!

Yes so true...

It seems both Eva and Gideon are bending rules for each other. His head trip at the advocacy dinner will be interesting to discuss when we get there.

One of my favourite lines in this chapter, "the way he looked in worn jeans and a t-shirt made me want to undress him with my teeth."

Then there's the s*xy line: "I'm going to tell you all the ways I want you to please me, Eva, and you're going to do it all....take it all, and we're going to have explosive, primal, no-holds-barred s*x. You know that, don't you? You can feel how it'll be between us. Swoon!!!

I read this line by Gideon and think how it was so about the sex at the beginning but quickly became so much more that he would kill for this woman... Good Lord he really must have been looking hard for an angel his whole life to this point, to quote a line from FSOG , he came alive when he met Eva!!

Hi Ript,

Here we go again. What I had posted earlier and had disappeared was that regardless of what kind of apparatus Eva uses or one might use, I highly suggest using an actual garter belt system. I once used the "self adhesive" type or stay-up type of stocking. What I wasn't warned about was the fact that one of my stockings didn't want to stay up. I constantly kept having one stocking rolling down my leg, therefore giving one of my legs a nice wrinkly appearance (sort of like an elephant's knee), all while I was walking on a very busy dowtown street. I was trying to tame one wildly wayward stocking all while a bunch of business executives were watching this under garment fiasco play out. They were all just roaring with laughter and I was trying to pick up my stocking and quash my embarrassment. It was quite a sight! :)

Hi Gigi,

I have had that happen to me also. It is super embarrassing! I've now been trying to see if I can get away with a garter and no VPL in some of my work outfits. Or I will just have to find another way to prevent a stocking leg from rolling down mid day. :-)

Best lines in Chap. 5: 1) When I tried to think of what I wouldn't agree to do to have his hands on me again, I couldn't come up with much. 2) Pampering a woman never goes out of style. 3) You can feel how it'ii be between us. I think this last one shows how much Gedeon had to change in order to have his way with Eva. As his former one-bang approach doesn't apply anymore, Gedeon has to find a new way to break Eva's resistance to his demands. Already with his first 'Kiss me, give me that much.' in Chap. 3, Gedeon wants Eva to realize what she's giving up if she refuses to have s** with him.

Eva is very selfless when it comes to Cary. Many times she goes to functions with him, hoping to get some exposure, to further his career. Both rely on each other heavily, but Cary I think needs Eva more, through her mums social life. Where would Cary be without Eva. I reckon he would possibly be dead. Which means, he owes Eva big time.

Hello Julie,

I totally agree with you here. I would also say, though, that Cary has some good points too: he always makes Eva see the sunny side of the street and helps her to sort out her jumbled feelings about Gedeon, which is not a minor achievement!

Hello Julie,

I totally agree with you here. I would also say, though, that Cary has some good points too: he always makes Eva see the sunny side of the street and helps her to sort out her jumbled feelings about Gedeon, which is not a minor achievement!

evening Gabri

I agree he has good points, they bounce off each other. Reminding each other, where they started, and how far they have come. Cary did root for Gideon to start with, but when Gideon had his nightmares and started keeping secrets from Eva, Carys love for Eva took over and he warned her, to ditch gideon because he was afraid of her breaking again. They would always look out for each other.

INDEED! Cary's ability in turning to both a protective and a supportive attitude towards Eva sums up the BFF's true calling.

Just one last post to say that I've tried Eva's chicken, cranberry, walnut, and feta salad today and it's really great! I'm on a diet and had to do without the walnuts, but it tasted really good nonetheless. Goodnight everybody, I'm going to start rereading Chap. 6 right now. Sweet dreams! (My deepest apologies for my funny English, always!!!!)

Just one last post to say that I've tried Eva's chicken, cranberry, walnut, and feta salad today and it's really great! I'm on a diet and had to do without the walnuts, but it tasted really good nonetheless.

Goodnight everybody, I'm going to start rereading Chap. 6 right now. Sweet dreams!

(My deepest apologies for my funny English, always!!!!)

goodnight Gabri

Might have to try it too. Your English is very good, i might try a bit of Italian. Ciao

hi Gigi

That sounds so much fun. You sound like you have a big family. Love family get-togethers. They are so much fun, might just take you up on the invite next year. Going to New York next year for daughters 21st. Would be on the same side of the pond! We could have a forum reunion. That would be fun.

Hi Julie,

That sounds fabulous!  Big huge reunion for everyone at my house!  We can all sit and eat a huge feast and then discuss the next book that will be coming out! :)  Everyone, just remember to bring your sweat pants (stretchy pants).  You will need them!! :)

Just one last post to say that I've tried Eva's chicken, cranberry, walnut, and feta salad today and it's really great! I'm on a diet and had to do without the walnuts, but it tasted really good nonetheless. Goodnight everybody, I'm going to start rereading Chap. 6 right now. Sweet dreams! (My deepest apologies for my funny English, always!!!!)

Ciao Gabri,

I think your English is lovely.  You should have heard me when I was learning how to speak Italian.  Some other time I will tell you about the time I went to order a roast beef sandwich and couldn't think of the words.  Oh boy was that ever embarrassing. :)