One Chapter A Day - Re-Read Of Bared and Entwined

LN Cronan

Totally agree with this Gigi and I think that Monica feels like she failed in the mother role so she is trying for an A as a girlfriend...

Hi Sscrph,

Isn't it funny (and somehow sad) that all Monica would need to do is to start actin like a mother.  I know that she can't go back and do the things that mothers did with their daughters when they are small, but Monica could try and somehow she doesn't even seem to want to, or maybe she has just given up.  I am not sure. 

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No I kind of assumed Victor and Monica were both from California and she moved once she married Barker. I think Victor has always lived in San Diego. We never know where husbands Barker and Mitchell were based but Eva went to live with Victor when Monica's marriage to Mitchell was deteriorating. I think she went to more than 4 years of college because she mentions doing a thesis when Gideon has her on her couch before the advocacy dinner so I believe she may have obtained a masters degree what does everyone think? So I put her about age 24 also.

Help me out if I'm wrong here, posters, but I recall reading somewhere Eva is 24 (Gideon's 28 - that's mentioned in Chapter Two of Bared.)

Mention of a thesis means Eva had worked on a master's degree.

Eva never lived with Victor himself - i.e. under the same roof. She moved out to San Diego to live near him, about four years ago, so they could see one another a lot. The move also was as much to get away from her mother's smothering.

If I had to guess, I would say Eva did not go the straight route expected of someone in her social class: straight from high school to undergrad college full-time and then from there to grad school full-time. She was an angry, rebellious young woman. The fact she hung around Brett's indie-rock band suggests Eva also liked to party. A possible scenario I could see:

• She drifted for a couple of years when she turned 18, taking some college courses but basically not doing anything with her life.
  • Then she decided to move out to California to be near her Dad. He could see what Monica couldn't -- Eva needed help.
  • Victor convinced Eva to start seeing Dr. Travis, and right away that started making a huge difference for the better.
  • Eva quit wasting her life, got some direction, and decided to go San Diego State full time. She transferred in what credits she'd already earned elsewhere, finished her bachelors and got her master's.
  • At the same time, Victor stood up to Stanton by insisting he (Victor) was going to pay for San Diego State. Victor also stood up to Eva when Eva wanted to pay off her student loans.
  • Eva graduated with her master's in May, on her own initiative got an entry level job in advertising in New York, and moved there right away. The move was made easier by Eva caving in to Stanton and Monica about having a "safe" apartment building to live in: they got her the fancy apartment, and Cary moved with her.

No I kind of assumed Victor and Monica were both from California and she moved once she married Barker. I think Victor has always lived in San Diego. We never know where husbands Barker and Mitchell were based but Eva went to live with Victor when Monica's marriage to Mitchell was deteriorating. I think she went to more than 4 years of college because she mentions doing a thesis when Gideon has her on her couch before the advocacy dinner so I believe she may have obtained a masters degree what does everyone think? So I put her about age 24 also.

Hi Sscrph,

I really never thought about it before.  I always thought that maybe Monica was from the east coast but who knows?  Nothing is said or written about Monica's life other than the fact that she was disowned by her family for having Eva.  I always figured that Victor was nothing more than a fling.  I didn't read Monica's reaction to Victor (when she saw him at Eva's apartment as that of being regret over a lost love. 

I found the writing of that entire scenario as being very odd.  If Monica did love Victor then why not at least keep up some friendly contact with him.  They share a child.  So why the tight lip?  If Victor had gotten over the fact that Monica tossed him off to the side then why not have contact with the mother of your child for the sake of the child?  Why are these two avoiding each other?  Something doesn't add up.

Could Monica have possibly had an affair with Victor every so often either during or in between her marriages?  What do you think? What does everyone think?

Hi Sscrph, 

I don't quite know what the system is like in the US, but in Canada, in order to graduate from either a four year degree program, a person would have to have a thesis (especially if they wanted a degree with honours).  They would also have to argue said thesis in front of their faculty, but I can only speak from a scientific perspective.  I had to argue a thesis in front of my faculty but it wasn't as in depth as say a Master's level degree would be argued in.   So I don't know how each University or each department handles their "programs" specifically.   Each department may do something different.  I am not sure. 

Sylvia didn't mention Eva arguing (or presenting her thesis) her thesis.  Now maybe that is just splitting hairs, but most people who take their Masters degree usually reference that by saying they had to argue their thesis.  I think our US posters could probably address this with a little more knowledge.  If she did do her Master's then yes, she probably would have been 24 years old or so, but again, the age of the graduating highschool student tends to be different between the US and Canada.  We have a few differences in our schooling systems.   

Hi Sscrph,

I also just wanted to add that I think that regardless of where Monica started out she probably wasn't living in the same state as Victor during the time that she was married to Barker.  I think that if Monica was living in th same state as Victor, then the temptation to keep tabs on Monica would have been too great.  Victor would have had a police department at his disposal and as such I think he would have availed himself of all the perks of being an officer.

I also think that if Monica was living in the same state during the time when Eva was being raped and then Nathan charged, I get the feeling that Victor would have found out somehow.  I think that someone would have tipped him off.  I think that Victor is a good cop and probably has many friends on the police force and also friends at the DA's office who would have quietly slipped him the "head's up" about what was going on.  I have absolutely nothing to go on other than how Sylvia presented Victor and I think that Victor is "good people".  What do you think?  What does everyone think?

Ciao Gabri,

I was thinking about what you said about Eva and her fashion choices and something struck me.  Eva is a very sexual person internally and externally.  Most women wouldn't wear garters with stockings.  The garters can be uncomfortable and the lines may show through the clothing (depending on what they would wear). 

I think that if we polled the women of this forum, I think that many would say that if they had to wear stockings, they would most likely choose the convenience of pantyhose.  The reference of garters and stockings are usually reserved for sexy or romantic evenings.  Perhaps this is a North American thing, perhaps not. What do you think?  What does everyone think?

I hate wearing panty hose and prefer to go without, but if I had to wear something, I enjoy a nice stocking and garter belt. There's something to be said about wearing sexy clothes. I always feel better when I feel a little sexy. Not always, but sometime and more so when I was a few years younger.

Again I agree with you, Monica is a very shallow person.  I would hope that as a person Monica would want more for her daughter and that would include love.  I have to wonder whether Victor was Monica's true love or whether he was just a hot booty call.  She may have kept her daughter away from her father?  Why? 

Monica purposely chose money over Victor and if she was capable of doing that, just how capable is Monia of love?  Other than giving birth to her daughter what has Monica done that would show love?  I wonder whether Monica equates money with love.  Perhaps Monica feels that by providing EVA with the best in life (via her husbands) that she is showing her daughter how much she loves her.  Is Monica capable of love or does she just not know how to show love?

I think Monica loves Eva, but they definitely do not have a traditional mother daughter relationship. She is always concerned for Eva and worried about her, but does not know how to handle situations properly.

I think Monica loves Eva, but they definitely do not have a traditional mother daughter relationship. She is always concerned for Eva and worried about her, but does not know how to handle situations properly.

Hi Ript,

I agree  I hope that Sylvia addresses this whole mother daughter relationship in one of her upcoming books.  It would be nice if Monica could get her act together.  I am not holding my breath, but anything is possible and I can't judge Monica for something she hasn't done. 

You never know.  Just when we the readers think we have everything figured out Sylvia throws us all a curve ball.  At this point nothing would surprise me.  You could tell me that Angus was Gideon's real father and that he had an affair with Elizabeth Vidal and somehow I probably would buy it.  Sigh!  How many more days until June 4th? 

Actually Gigi the above scenario between Elizabeth and Angus has crossed my mind...

What I find interesting is that on one hand Sylvia describe's Elizabeth and Ireland as obsidian haired (from Eva's perspective) yet in the next breath Ireland is described as a brunette.  Does our beloved Eva have cataracts? Did Sylvia do this for controversy or was there a specific reason?  What do you think?  What does everyone think?  :)

I believe that people use the word brunette to describe anyone with dark hair that is not blond or red. I've often heard of people described as having brunette hair and they have black hair.

Hi Ript,

I think that Monica was so busy trying to keep a husband and a roof over her and Eva's head that she forgot the basics of how to be a good mother.  I somehow saw Monica and Eva moving around.  If Victor is in California then where did Monica meet Victor and what made either of them decide to move?  In Monica's case I could see her moving to be with her husband or for his work, but what's the deal with Victor?   

Hopefully these questions will be answered in the next book. We may never know the whole bak story, but it makes for a very entertaining discussion.

I believe that people use the word brunette to describe anyone with dark hair that is not blond or red. I've often heard of people described as having brunette hair and they have black hair.

Interesting.  Is that a European saying or is it more universal?  I always thought that being a brunette meant that person had some form or various of brown hair.  Good point.   

Hey everyone,

Did anyone see my "elephants knees" posting or did that disappear into the cyber space?  This is what I get when I am just writing something off the cuff.  Some of my best thoughts just vanish into thin air...or should I say cyber air.  :)

Hey everyone,

Did anyone see my "elephants knees" posting or did that disappear into the cyber space?  This is what I get when I am just writing something off the cuff.  Some of my best thoughts just vanish into thin air...or should I say cyber air.  :)

No I did not see it...

I hate wearing panty hose and prefer to go without, but if I had to wear something, I enjoy a nice stocking and garter belt. There's something to be said about wearing sexy clothes. I always feel better when I feel a little sexy. Not always, but sometime and more so when I was a few years younger.

Hi Ript,

Here we go again.  What I had posted earlier and had disappeared was that regardless of what kind of apparatus Eva uses or one might use, I highly suggest using an actual garter belt system.  I once used the "self adhesive" type or stay-up type of stocking.  What I wasn't warned about was the fact that one of my stockings didn't want to stay up.  I constantly kept having one stocking rolling down my leg, therefore giving one of my legs a nice wrinkly appearance (sort of like an elephant's knee), all while I was walking on a very busy dowtown street.  I was trying to tame one wildly wayward stocking all while a bunch of business executives were watching this under garment fiasco play out.  They were all just roaring with laughter and I was trying to pick up my stocking and quash my embarrassment.  It was quite a sight! :)

Hey everyone,

Sorry, didn't see anything about elephants knees. Sounds pretty funny though.

Hi Ript,

Here we go again.  What I had posted earlier and had disappeared was that regardless of what kind of apparatus Eva uses or one might use, I highly suggest using an actual garter belt system.  I once used the "self adhesive" type or stay-up type of stocking.  What I wasn't warned about was the fact that one of my stockings didn't want to stay up.  I constantly kept having one stocking rolling down my leg, therefore giving one of my legs a nice wrinkly appearance (sort of like an elephant's knee), all while I was walking on a very busy dowtown street.  I was trying to tame one wildly wayward stocking all while a bunch of business executives were watching this under garment fiasco play out.  They were all just roaring with laughter and I was trying to pick up my stocking and quash my embarrassment.  It was quite a sight! :)

That is so funny. That has happened to me in the past also. Not very sexy that's for sure!

Hi Ript,

I'm sorry GiGi, but I got a good laugh out of picturing this senario. :):laughingsmiley:

I'm sorry GiGi, but I got a good laugh out of picturing this senario. :):laughingsmiley:

Hi Kirsten,

I am glad you got a good laugh out of it.  I am sure that all the downtown business executives got a great laugh out of it too! :)  Picture me having one stocking completely rolling down my leg and me looking like a zeebra, one white leg, one black leg, it being the dead of winter and me having to take my shoe off in the middle of the street so I could yank that stocking off...sigh!  I then had to yank the other one off because I would have looked even stranger walking around the downtown core with only one stocking on.  Sigh! :)

I console myself by thinking that I am not the only woman in the world that this happened to.  Surely this thing couldn't have only happened to me. :)

Help me out if I'm wrong here, posters, but I recall reading somewhere Eva is 24 (Gideon's 28 - that's mentioned in Chapter Two of Bared.)

Mention of a thesis means Eva had worked on a master's degree.

Eva never lived with Victor himself - i.e. under the same roof. She moved out to San Diego to live near him, about four years ago, so they could see one another a lot. The move also was as much to get away from her mother's smothering.

If I had to guess, I would say Eva did not go the straight route expected of someone in her social class: straight from high school to undergrad college full-time and then from there to grad school full-time. She was an angry, rebellious young woman. The fact she hung around Brett's indie-rock band suggests Eva also liked to party. A possible scenario I could see:

• She drifted for a couple of years when she turned 18, taking some college courses but basically not doing anything with her life.
  • Then she decided to move out to California to be near her Dad. He could see what Monica couldn't -- Eva needed help.
  • Victor convinced Eva to start seeing Dr. Travis, and right away that started making a huge difference for the better.
  • Eva quit wasting her life, got some direction, and decided to go San Diego State full time. She transferred in what credits she'd already earned elsewhere, finished her bachelors and got her master's.
  • At the same time, Victor stood up to Stanton by insisting he (Victor) was going to pay for San Diego State. Victor also stood up to Eva when Eva wanted to pay off her student loans.
  • Eva graduated with her master's in May, on her own initiative got an entry level job in advertising in New York, and moved there right away. The move was made easier by Eva caving in to Stanton and Monica about having a "safe" apartment building to live in: they got her the fancy apartment, and Cary moved with her.
Well I know Gideon's age is exactly mentioned but I thought I had guesstimated Eva's age according to the educational level that she had achieved...