One Chapter A Day - Re-Read Of Bared and Entwined

LN Cronan

Hi sscrph! Well, he could have asked her about the weather instead! So, there must be another reason why Gedeon poses Eva that question during the meeting with Kingsman vodka representatives. My guess is that Gedeon is aware of the sex related answer Eva has as an option. Therefore, Eva's professional advice both establishes her as a sex–linked person in Gedeon's eyes and turns out to be what he needs to make his decision about what his next move on her will be. I'm feeling dizzy after all this reasoning, and my English isn't up to the task any more... if ever. LOL and CIAO!!!

What is the sex-related option?  I want to know please. :)  That's what I get when I join the discussion after the fact.  Sigh! :)

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My guess is Gideon would have done the same thing to Eva in his office that he ended up doing to her at her apartment on Saturday night, manually manipulating her to repeated climaxes but not have one himself. I doubt he'd have engaged in intercourse on the office couch -- for one thing, he probably didn't have a condom. But I bet that if he got as far as getting Eva to come several times on that couch, she'd have gone with him to the hotel right after work.

Gideon's hotel-sex rule, I think, applied strictly to sexual intercourse. When he said he wanted Eva "under him" he most likely meant it literally -- missionary style with him restraining her with his arms, exactly what he did when they did have that hotel room sex that one time. My guess is this is the only way Gideon would allow himself to climax

One thing that struck me, when he makes love, he has to be on top or in control ie topping from the bottom. He lost control when he was raped, But as much as he enjoys Eva being in control, he is not comfortable with the situation. He seems inexperienced in my mind.

One of the best lines in the chapter, possibly the whole book is,

"Why even call it a f**k? Why not be clear and call it a seminal emission in a pre-approved orifice? Classic.

One of the things I noticed. In the lift, after her lunch with Stanton, Gideon said to Eva , "no lies, Eva. Ever" He may not lie as such, but he is extremely economical with the truth.

"Extremely economical with the truth"-----what a great line!    LOL

Hi Golfergirl,

What do you think Gideon meant by that?  Could it be that Gideon was foretelling Eva something about himself?  Here's a quick question:  Is it fair of Gideon to expect something like that from Eva when he himself couldn't do the same?  What do you think?  What does everyone think?

Good point Gigi .

Is it a case of, do as I say, not as I do

I don't think that Gideon has "mummy issues " in relation to who he's dated

I think he loved Corrine and from their break up was looking for someone like her , hence he looked at brunette

Then Eva changed that when he saw her look in awe outside the crossfire building . Time to look at someone different. Then when the met inside she saw through him. I think from that moment Gideon knew he would pursue Eva no matter what the cost .

If Gideon has mummy issues it because maybe he feels hat the arguments his parents had pushed his father into committing suicide.

Maybe he blames his mother for his fathers suicide.

Or was hurt that she married Vidal so soon after and had children with him .

Hi ShazScott1980,

You make some great points!!  I never thought that Gideon might have other reasons to hate his father!!  I also agree that I don't necessarily buy the arguement that Gideon has mommy issues.  There isn't enough for the reader to go, but I will wait until June 4th to vote on that topic.  Like it or not, I hope that we the readers get more information about why Gideon hates his mother so much.  Was it the fact that Elizabeth Vidal didn't believe her son when he told her about the abuse (which would be MORE than enough reason to hate someone), or did his mother do something else, maybe even more despicable than that? 

I agree with you in that Gideon may have had serious issues about his mother marrying someone else so soon after his father's death.  Even under the best circumstanes, children may not be thrilled with a parent decides to remarry.  GIven the circumstances that lead to Gideon's father's death, I think that Elizabeth's remarriage to Christopher Sr. may have just been the straw that broke the camel's back.  What do you think?  What does everyone think?

One thing that struck me, when he makes love, he has to be on top or in control ie topping from the bottom. He lost control when he was raped, But as much as he enjoys Eva being in control, he is not comfortable with the situation. He seems inexperienced in my mind.

Even when Eva was on top of him in the limo, he was still guiding and directing Eva and the s** act.  I haven't ever seen Gideon give up control even once during all of their s**.  Again, even if Eva was performing oral s**, Gideon was there giving direct and telling Eva what he wanted done to him.

You are right. I find it interesting that Monica has more of a friend type relationship than a mother-daughter relationship with Eva.  If the end goal is always to find a husband then I wonder what other "unspoken" things Monica taught her daughter about keeping a husband. 

Is it just me or does the relationship seem to have a "highly sexualized" untone to it?  Monica sends her daughter extremely revealing dresses, constantly keeps after Eva about her appearance and what she wears.  In the next book she talked with Eva about how her actions could have consequences if she married a man like Gideon (...you are an assest...make sure you keep it that way...I am paraphrasing but the sentiment is there). 

Other than holding Eva after she had a melt down about Nathan and the video tapes and blackmail thing when has Monica ever acted like a mother?  When has Monica ever just hugged her daughter or offered he any kind of unconditonal support?  What do you think?  What does everyone think?

Monica is shallow

Do you think Monica wants for her daughter what she missed out on. Love. Victor loved her and she him. Was he her only true love?

Would Magdalene have just become another orifice, had her mother not been a friend of the family? Unlike Chris Vidal jnr, perhaps Gideon knew where to draw a line.

Just curious why Gideon suddenly changed tack and suddenly followed a blonde back into the building, when seeing her for the first time. If his choice of woman previously were mummy related, what was so different about Eva?

Hi Julie54,

I think that Magdalene just reeked of desperation!  Raven haired or not, momy look-alike or not, I don't think that Gideon would have been into Magdalene.  Gideon may also have only ever seen Magdalene as he did when they were children (you know, gangly, akward, a little .... you can fill in the blanks...).  What do you think?  What does everyone think?

Even when Eva was on top of him in the limo, he was still guiding and directing Eva and the s** act.  I haven't ever seen Gideon give up control even once during all of their s**.  Again, even if Eva was performing oral s**, Gideon was there giving direct and telling Eva what he wanted done to him.

That is very true. But missionary is very basic in love making, I didn't expect swinging from the chandeliers, but a little more imagination?

Monica is shallow

Do you think Monica wants for her daughter what she missed out on. Love. Victor loved her and she him. Was he her only true love?

Again I agree with you, Monica is a very shallow person.  I would hope that as a person Monica would want more for her daughter and that would include love.  I have to wonder whether Victor was Monica's true love or whether he was just a hot booty call.  She may have kept her daughter away from her father?  Why? 

Monica purposely chose money over Victor and if she was capable of doing that, just how capable is Monia of love?  Other than giving birth to her daughter what has Monica done that would show love?  I wonder whether Monica equates money with love.  Perhaps Monica feels that by providing EVA with the best in life (via her husbands) that she is showing her daughter how much she loves her.  Is Monica capable of love or does she just not know how to show love?

That is very true. But missionary is very basic in love making, I didn't expect swinging from the chandeliers, but a little more imagination?

What kind of imagination were you looking for?  Something tells me that the readers will not be disappointed with next book.  Somehow Sylvia never lets her readers down when it comes to sizzle and spice. :) 

One of my favorite moments in Chapter 2 is when during the meeting in Gideon's office about the Kingsman Vodka campaign Gideon says he'll clear the room to hear Eva's honest opinion and she states that she curves her fingers on the armrest before answering "Mr. Cross I just gave you my honest opinion but if you must know...etc . I think Eva was irritated that Gideon even questioned her honesty about the opinion she gave and I loved her spirited comeback. He should have known then and there not to f--- with her and that she values honesty above all things...

Hi Sscrph,

That's a good observation.  I never thought about the passage in that way.  You made me think.  Could it be that our dear Gideon was looking for a way...any way to get alone time with Eva, so he threw her off her game (so to speak), questioned her integrity (which is what he did in a sense), in an attempt to get an honest reaction?  What do you think? What does everyone think?

Again I agree with you, Monica is a very shallow person.  I would hope that as a person Monica would want more for her daughter and that would include love.  I have to wonder whether Victor was Monica's true love or whether he was just a hot booty call.  She may have kept her daughter away from her father?  Why? 

Monica purposely chose money over Victor and if she was capable of doing that, just how capable is Monia of love?  Other than giving birth to her daughter what has Monica done that would show love?  I wonder whether Monica equates money with love.  Perhaps Monica feels that by providing EVA with the best in life (via her husbands) that she is showing her daughter how much she loves her.  Is Monica capable of love or does she just not know how to show love?

I don't think she s heartless. It depends on how she was raised. Her own family disowned her when she got pregnant. How callous was that. Bringing shame to the family. By all accounts Monica's family was comfortable, when Eva described them to Gideon the night she told him about her rape. Monica is motivated by money, lots of it.

What kind of imagination were you looking for?  Something tells me that the readers will not be disappointed with next book.  Somehow Sylvia never lets her readers down when it comes to sizzle and spice. :) 

Sitting here howling with laughter. Seems like Eva will teach him a thing or two. ;-)

I don't think she s heartless. It depends on how she was raised. Her own family disowned her when she got pregnant. How callous was that. Bringing shame to the family. By all accounts Monica's family was comfortable, when Eva described them to Gideon the night she told him about her rape. Monica is motivated by money, lots of it.

It could also be that for the first time in her life Monica was afraid of losing her security.  I suspect that thus far, Monica was supported by her family and that maintaining a job may not have been at the top of her list.  So I could imagine that being disowned would have been a very scary thing. Monica had not only herself to think of but also a little baby.  I could see some really terrible choices being made out of that desperation. 

Favorite scene BTY page19: 

"When the car reached the lobby, I almost moaned in relief. I waited impatiently as the elevator emptied, and the first chance I got, I took a step forward. His hand settled firmly at the small of my back and he walked out beside me, steering me. The sensation of his touch on such a vulnerable place rippled through me."

I don't know why, but I love this scene.   LOL

Monica is driven by money but she is capable of love.   She didn't give up Eva and was disowned because of it.   Also, when Victor and Monica ran into each other at Eva's apartment, Eva knew instantly that they love each other.   She's just a very shallow person.

Monica is driven by money but she is capable of love.   She didn't give up Eva and was disowned because of it.   Also, when Victor and Monica ran into each other at Eva's apartment, Eva knew instantly that they love each other.   She's just a very shallow person.

I wonder if Monica can become a less self-absorbed person?  What will it take to happen?

Ok sister, so tell me...what is up with this brunette theory?  I keep asking and no one is answering.  What is this some big conspiracy?  Spill it sister! :)

I was going to bed, but I'm having to much fun.

Eva Monica etc seemed to think that Gideon had a brunette fetish. Although he did admit, that if he did it was unconsciously. Eva suspected it had to do with Corrine. Magdalene wanted to look like Corrine, hoping to get his engine running, but it didn't work. I think it has to do with his mum. Corrine is described as a mummy lookalike. Beautiful slim with long black hair. I just think Gideon was looking for his mums love in these women who were brunettes. By discarding them after sex, he is in effect punishing his mum. I'm probably way off base here.

What is the sex-related option?  I want to know please. :)  That's what I get when I join the discussion after the fact.  Sigh! :)

She means when Eva replies "sexy luxury on a budget will appeal to the greatest demographic " during the Kigsman Vodka meeting.

I was going to bed, but I'm having to much fun.

Eva Monica etc seemed to think that Gideon had a brunette fetish. Although he did admit, that if he did it was unconsciously. Eva suspected it had to do with Corrine. Magdalene wanted to look like Corrine, hoping to get his engine running, but it didn't work. I think it has to do with his mum. Corrine is described as a mummy lookalike. Beautiful slim with long black hair. I just think Gideon was looking for his mums love in these women who were brunettes. By discarding them after sex, he is in effect punishing his mum. I'm probably way off base here.

What I find interesting is that on one hand Sylvia describe's Elizabeth and Ireland as obsidian haired (from Eva's perspective) yet in the next breath Ireland is described as a brunette.  Does our beloved Eva have cataracts? Did Sylvia do this for controversy or was there a specific reason?  What do you think?  What does everyone think?  :)

She means when Eva replies "sexy luxury on a budget will appeal to the greatest demographic " during the Kigsman Vodka meeting.

Hi Sscrph, 

It is so interesting.  I would never have taken that coment in that context.  It so interesting to see how everyone has such a different perspective. It makes for a really interesting forum and some great discussions.  Thank you! :) 

Gideon definitely as mommy issues.  I've mentioned this before.   This will come out in therapy.

Do you think that Gideon's main issue is Elizabeth's lack of belief in her son (as if that isn't enough of a reason to cause issues) or do think that there is something more going on there?  What do you think?