One Chapter A Day - Re-Read Of Bared and Entwined

LN Cronan

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eva gave Gideon back his ring on the Thursday. Will started work on Friday. What a strange day to start a new job. Why not wait till Monday.

Eva started on a Tuesday. Although it seems odd, when I lived in NY most people that work for the state of NY start working on a Thursday because that is the day the pay period begins. I found it odd that Eva was starting on a Tuesday and I do find it odd that Will is starting on a Friday because they work in the private sector. But since we now know he is Gideon's plant it's explainable.

I didn't say he was a "plant" someone just asked if he was going to appear into the EWY.   LOL - brains are working here....I come home from running errands and I'm laughing hysterical here.   

My mistake, Donnad, I thought the "yes" part was about it was no random coincidence Will started working there when he did -- and so he definitely was going to be part of Entwined. I stand corrected -- he's going to show up in Entwined. We don't know yet for sure Gideon put him there to help start watching over Eva the week after things totally fell apart between him (Gideon) and Eva.

I can almost hear you laughing still ..... maybe if I put my ear a little closer to the computer speakers ..... yep, I can hear you.

Now that I know, thanks to Donnad's memory that Sylvia revealed Will was deliberately planted in the ad agency where Eva works, it makes more sense Will got flustered when Gideon got into the same elevator as him (Will) and Eva.

The poor guy was probably wondering, "What do I do? How am I supposed to act? Is Gideon Cross going to suddenly ask me to do something here? What happens if Eva Trammel marches out of this elevator instead instead of staying on it like Mr. Cross asked her to? What do I do then?" Poor Will, he must have been sweating bullets. But I bet Megumi would have just written that off as "Will's brand new here in the Crossfire and that's probably the very first time he saw the famous Gideon Cross up close. No wonder Will felt a little nervous."

Will started right after the Brett Kline interview ....Gideon is protecting his turf!!!

Eva started on a Tuesday. Although it seems odd, when I lived in NY most people that work for the state of NY start working on a Thursday because that is the day the pay period begins. I found it odd that Eva was starting on a Tuesday and I do find it odd that Will is starting on a Friday because they work in the private sector. But since we now know he is Gideon's plant it's explainable.

Now that we don't know whether Gideon planted him .... my mistake to the "yes" part of a question concerning young Mr. Will .....

But as for Eva starting work on a Tuesday, one possibility might be she started June 1.  The story definitely starts in June, and based on a little bit of small talk about the weather that Eva had with her apartment building doorman (see bottom of page 2 and top of page 3), it is still early June -- the weather hasn't yet gotten "wicked hot."  Plus Eva and Cary are still unpacking boxes in their new apartment. People generally move into apartments very close to the first of the month.

I'm guessing that Eva and Cary moved into the apartment that weekend before she started the new job. Especially because if June 1 was a Tuesday, then Monday would have been May 31 -- Memorial Day. The final Monday in May is Memorial Day, one of the biggest national holidays in the United States. So Eva/Cary would have a long weekend to move, then Eva would start the job Tuesday.

Will started right after the Brett Kline interview ....Gideon is protecting his turf!!!

Will started the week before the Brett Kline interview, which was on a Sunday. But Will also started the same week Eva gave back the promise ring and the key to Gideon's apartment.

She put both in an envelope -- no note, because there was nothing to say -- and dropped off that envelope at lobby desk in Gideon's apartment building. That was Thursday evening -- the time when the pair of them ought to have been in a therapy session with Dr. Petersen.

Returning the ring, and especially returning the key, were actions that spoke a lot louder than Eva's last tear-filled words to Gideon when she dumped him over the phone. Gideon must have freaked when he got home that night and opened that envelope.

The whole Gideon-Eva-Will-Megumi elevator scene happened lunchtime on Monday, the day after the Brett Kline interview. Oh and Eva had gotten a sexy makeover that weekend. And she'd gone out dancing with Cary, Monica and Stanton on Saturday night,  something that would have gotten back to Gideon too, because Eva ran into his (Gideon's) family that night. Eva danced with his creepy half-brother, Christopher Jr.-- and picked the mother of all arguments with Elizabeth Vidal.

Yep, by the time Gideon approached Eva that Monday, he must have been coming apart inside.

Now that we don't know whether Gideon planted him .... my mistake to the "yes" part of a question concerning young Mr. Will .....

But as for Eva starting work on a Tuesday, one possibility might be she started June 1.  The story definitely starts in June, and based on a little bit of small talk about the weather that Eva had with her apartment building doorman (see bottom of page 2 and top of page 3), it is still early June -- the weather hasn't yet gotten "wicked hot."  Plus Eva and Cary are still unpacking boxes in their new apartment. People generally move into apartments very close to the first of the month.

I'm guessing that Eva and Cary moved into the apartment that weekend before she started the new job. Especially because if June 1 was a Tuesday, then Monday would have been May 31 -- Memorial Day. The final Monday in May is Memorial Day, one of the biggest national holidays in the United States. So Eva/Cary would have a long weekend to move, then Eva would start the job Tuesday.

If it was Memorial Day wouldn't the building have been closed LN? Eva timed her trip and entered the building on Monday.

Will started the week before the Brett Kline interview, which was on a Sunday. But Will also started the same week Eva gave back the promise ring and the key to Gideon's apartment.

She put both in an envelope -- no note, because there was nothing to say -- and dropped off that envelope at lobby desk in Gideon's apartment building. That was Thursday evening -- the time when the pair of them ought to have been in a therapy session with Dr. Petersen.

Returning the ring, and especially returning the key, were actions that spoke a lot louder than Eva's last tear-filled words to Gideon when she dumped him over the phone. Gideon must have freaked when he got home that night and opened that envelope.

The whole Gideon-Eva-Will-Megumi elevator scene happened lunchtime on Monday, the day after the Brett Kline interview. Oh and Eva had gotten a sexy makeover that weekend. And she'd gone out dancing with Cary, Monica and Stanton on Saturday night,  something that would have gotten back to Gideon too, because Eva ran into his (Gideon's) family that night. Eva danced with his creepy half-brother, Christopher Jr.-- and picked the mother of all arguments with Elizabeth Vidal.

Yep, by the time Gideon approached Eva that Monday, he must have been coming apart inside.

Even though this is not chapter 2 convo, I have always thought that it was interesting that Eva during her make-over cut her hair. Hair color is apparently very important in this book, is length? I mean Mags cut her hair once Corrine was back... why is the thought I can't have Gideon Cross I'm going to cut my hair? Is it an attempt to re-invent themselves?

If it was Memorial Day wouldn't the building have been closed LN? Eva timed her trip and entered the building on Monday.

No, the building would not have been closed, not even on a major holiday. Memorial Day is a big U.S. holiday, but for the rest of the world, it's just another Monday. Some people would have been working, especially those who work with international clients. But yes, most companies would have given their employees the day off. Memorial Day is one of the "Big 6" for work holidays in the United States.

Eva picked a good Monday to time her trip door to door from her apartment building to the Crossfire, because she was timing her trip on foot, planning to walk to and from work most days. Because she was still " ...wary of the subway and had trouble hailing cabs."

For our British fans, the six major U.S. holidays that office workers like Eva almost certainly would get time off are, in order from biggest holidays on down:

Dec. 25 (Christmas)

Fourth Thursday in November (the U.S. Thanksgiving Day)

Jan. 1 (New Year's)

July 4 (U.S. Independence Day)

Last Monday in May (U.S. Memorial Day)

First Monday in September (U.S. Labor Day)

No, the building would not have been closed, not even on a major holiday. Memorial Day is a big U.S. holiday, but for the rest of the world, it's just another Monday. Some people would have been working, especially those who work with international clients. But yes, most companies would have given their employees the day off. Memorial Day is one of the "Big 6" for work holidays in the United States.

Eva picked a good Monday to time her trip door to door from her apartment building to the Crossfire, because she was timing her trip on foot, planning to walk to and from work most days. Because she was still " ...wary of the subway and had trouble hailing cabs."

But she says she planned it on at a "busy" time of day. Surely on Memorial Day the city isn't nearly as busy as other days. The timing with the apartment makes sense though so I can see it being June 1st.  

How on earth could Gideon get an employee of his, into another company's business? I know sometimes is a case of not what you know, but who you know. But he couldn't just insist on giving a junior account manager an assistant for Eva to train up surely?

I think Gideon being Gideon, running a huge empire, could insist on almost anything if the ad agency wanted to keep his business.

But she says she planned it on at a "busy" time of day. Surely on Memorial Day the city isn't nearly as busy as other days. The timing with the apartment makes sense though so I can see it being June 1st.  

She timed it for early evening, which would have been busy on the streets of New York, holiday or not. Cary wanted her to hit a happy hour. Instead, she insisted she wanted to time the walk from their apartment building to the Crossfire, then she wanted to hit the gym. The doorman noted the weather had already cooled down from the afternoon. And as she walked up to the Crossfire, Gideon had just climbed into his Bentley at the curb, obviously leaving work for the day. If it had, in fact, been Memorial Day, I could see that being just another Monday for Gideon Cross. What's he going to do on Memorial Day -- the traditional family cook-out? 

Again, it's pure conjecture on my part that the hypothetical Tuesday in June in which Bared to You opens was June 1. It would, however, make perfect sense on why Eva was in the middle of still unpacking moving boxes, Cary was christening the kitchen for the first time by cooking one of his (ahem) gourmet meals, and Eva was about to start work the next day. Move over the three-day holiday weekend at the very end of May, then start a new job on the first of the month.

How on earth could Gideon get an employee of his, into another company's business? I know sometimes is a case of not what you know, but who you know. But he couldn't just insist on giving a junior account manager an assistant for Eva to train up surely?

Gideon met Eva for the first time Monday evening. Less than 36 hours later, the junior account executive that had Eva as his brand new assistant had a brand new project with Cross Industries. When Cross Industries contacted Waters Field & Leaman, Mark Garrity (Eva's boss) was asked for by name -- something that surprised the heck out of Mark, given his standing. He thought the company was being smart by wanting to hear directly from the junior account executive who would be doing most of the actual work instead of the senior account executive. But Cary saw right through it all as soon as he put two and two together the day after that.

And this little "smooth move" of Gideon's to indirectly insert himself into Eva's office is the subject of today's reading -- Chapter Two of Bared. This is where Gideon went through all that trouble so that he could get to see Eva in order to tell her something very important -- "I want to f*** you, Eva." Which he does tell her (page 28 - love this scene!)

She timed it for early evening, which would have been busy on the streets of New York, holiday or not. Cary wanted her to hit a happy hour. Instead, she insisted she wanted to time the walk from their apartment building to the Crossfire, then she wanted to hit the gym. The doorman noted the weather had already cooled down from the afternoon. And as she walked up to the Crossfire, Gideon had just climbed into his Bentley at the curb, obviously leaving work for the day. If it had, in fact, been Memorial Day, I could see that being just another Monday for Gideon Cross. What's he going to do on Memorial Day -- the traditional family cook-out? 

Again, it's pure conjecture on my part that the hypothetical Tuesday in June in which Bared to You opens was June 1. It would, however, make perfect sense on why Eva was in the middle of still unpacking moving boxes, Cary was christening the kitchen for the first time by cooking one of his (ahem) gourmet meals, and Eva was about to start work the next day. Move over the three-day holiday weekend at the very end of May, then start a new job on the first of the month.

Sounds right. Although I LOL over the gourmet meal.

OK, informal poll here --- what's the best time for me to post a daily "Reader's Guide" to the chapter we're reading each day.

Should I post the guide for each chapter the same day we're all reading it -- (i.e. today is Chapter Two, so I post the Chapter Two guide today)?

OR

Should I wait until the day after? Post Chapter Two tomorrow, after we hopefully have all finished reading and have already moved onto Chapter Three?

If you want an example of what I'm talking about, go to page three of this discussion thread. That's where I posted the Chapter One guide yesterday. I did it around this time of the day. Was it OK to post it then, even though some people might be still re-reading? or should I have waited until today to post yesterday's "cheat sheet" of sorts.

Sounds right. Although I LOL over the gourmet meal.

The important things we learn about Cary Taylor when we meet him for the very first time in Chapter One of Bared are, in order:

1. He's Eva's roommate
  2. He'll find any reason, big or small, to celebrate something
  3. "Cooking was one of Cary's joys, but it wasn't one of his talents."

Ouch. She must be his BFF if she's willing to eat what he cooks.

OK, informal poll here --- what's the best time for me to post a daily "Reader's Guide" to the chapter we're reading each day.

Should I post the guide for each chapter the same day we're all reading it -- (i.e. today is Chapter Two, so I post the Chapter Two guide today)?

OR

Should I wait until the day after? Post Chapter Two tomorrow, after we hopefully have all finished reading and have already moved onto Chapter Three?

If you want an example of what I'm talking about, go to page three of this discussion thread. That's where I posted the Chapter One guide yesterday. I did it around this time of the day. Was it OK to post it then, even though some people might be still re-reading? or should I have waited until today to post yesterday's "cheat sheet" of sorts.

I thought around this time was fine. But I'm on the east coast with you so others might have a different opinion. Our UK friends are several hours ahead of us so...

OR

I'm easy. Whenever your happy.

Of course, it makes sense that you members online right now would say "bring it" :) !!!!  And it's almost bedtime for our U.K. regulars. But let me see what anyone from the Midwest or the West Coast wants to say. The West Coast folks especially would likely still be at work and would not have had a chance yet to curl up at home under the covers with Gideon (swoon)

So I'll either post it a few hours from now, before I close down my computer for the night this evening, or I will post it very early tomorrow East Coast time (I usually turn on my computer for the day before 6 a.m.)  By then, everyone would have had a shot at getting some reading time the day before, and it'll be nearly lunchtime in Europe.

Of course, it makes sense that you members online right now would say "bring it" :) !!!!  And it's almost bedtime for our U.K. regulars. But let me see what anyone from the Midwest or the West Coast wants to say. The West Coast folks especially would likely still be at work and would not have had a chance yet to curl up at home under the covers with Gideon (swoon)

So I'll either post it a few hours from now, before I close down my computer for the night this evening, or I will post it very early tomorrow East Coast time (I usually turn on my computer for the day before 6 a.m.)  By then, everyone would have had a shot at getting some reading time the day before, and it'll be nearly lunchtime in Europe.

:)  Sounds good.

Well it's almost bedtime for this regular. 11.30 to be precise.

I have to say. I just couldn't stop at chapter 2. I have just finished Bared again. Picked up on a couple of things, but I shall remain silent till the relevant chapter. Night all!