**Captivated**chapter discussion (spoiler alert)

jmhope

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You are right, long day for me here in the UK (I've been out with family for various events :) )and for some reason I was thinking CBY covered mostly August, I should have remembered that if Mark were leaving his job he would be starting with Cross Industries in October.

You are right, long day for me here in the UK (I've been out with family for various events :) )and for some reason I was thinking CBY covered mostly August, I should have remembered that if Mark were leaving his job he would be starting with Cross Industries in October.

I've been there. When you posted that my first thought was "crap we dont get to read about Gideons birthday" so I had to google it. :)

I know, I want Gideon's birthday present to be Eva, giving herself back to him and never, ever running away from him again. She kept promising not to and she still did (I realise to make him 'break' she had to do it that last time).

She's surely now co-owner of Cross Industries, she should take on the charity side of the company and, assuming she is up to the role, take over running that which should fulfil her need to make her mark on the business world. She can't avoid her working life being attached to Cross Industries so she should embrace that and get on with it.

Hopefully we will start to get Teaser Tuesdays soon, the concentration on the anthology Sylvia was involved with is done, Penguin surely must want One With You out soon. Once that is out hopefully work will commence on the tv series (just hoping it gets shown in the UK as Outlander still has not be shown over here !!!!)

I saw on Sylvia's FB page that CBY isn't being released in Portugal until March 1st. Hopefully the OWY date won't be too much longer. 

I want Eva to embrace being Mrs. Cross and use her new platform to bring light to issues and work for the charity to help others. I'm excited to see what Gideon's birthday will bring. Probably a lot of drama. I don't see Corrine just sitting back and doing nothing knowing it's his birthday. 

An Eva line from the excerpt: “I’ve got a wedding to plan.†And some loose ends to tie up. But we’d get to those later.

Loose ends being her mother's grand plans? Is Eva thinking of finally pushing back against her mother, for once and for all quit coddling Monica? Eva's quit enabling Gideon's efforts to deny his past. She just quit her job on her own terms. So I can see Eva pushing up the timeline of the (second) wedding. Is Eva about to have another mother-daughter session with Dr. Petersen? About to tell Monica the truth she's already married and has decided she does not want to go through some elaborate public charade?

The loose ends may also involve getting Gideon possibly reconciling with his mother, or at the least getting an apology from her for disbelieving him.

Hope you are right that the wedding gets brought forward, I did wonder if her staying out of his bed was to continue until they were 'officially' married so she would want it as quickly as possible. As it is to be on their property there's not a lot to prevent it being sooner and Gideon has said he is happy to have more weddings to Eva so Monica could be appeased by organising something bigger for a later date. We need to hear their vows this time as well.

I saw on Sylvia's FB page that CBY isn't being released in Portugal until March 1st. Hopefully the OWY date won't be too much longer. 

I want Eva to embrace being Mrs. Cross and use her new platform to bring light to issues and work for the charity to help others. I'm excited to see what Gideon's birthday will bring. Probably a lot of drama. I don't see Corrine just sitting back and doing nothing knowing it's his birthday.

I seriously cannot tolerate much more of Corinne in these books...It is so frustrating...SHE NEEDS TO GO!!!

An Eva line from the excerpt: “I’ve got a wedding to plan.†And some loose ends to tie up. But we’d get to those later.

Loose ends being her mother's grand plans? Is Eva thinking of finally pushing back against her mother, for once and for all quit coddling Monica? Eva's quit enabling Gideon's efforts to deny his past. She just quit her job on her own terms. So I can see Eva pushing up the timeline of the (second) wedding. Is Eva about to have another mother-daughter session with Dr. Petersen? About to tell Monica the truth she's already married and has decided she does not want to go through some elaborate public charade?

Yes Lighthouse, I would love for Eva to tell "Mommyca" she's already married and for that matter why not tell Corinne too!!

The loose ends may also involve getting Gideon possibly reconciling with his mother, or at the least getting an apology from her for disbelieving him.Hope you are right that the wedding gets brought forward, I did wonder if her staying out of his bed was to continue until they were 'officially' married so she would want it as quickly as possible. As it is to be on their property there's not a lot to prevent it being sooner and Gideon has said he is happy to have more weddings to Eva so Monica could be appeased by organising something bigger for a later date. We need to hear their vows this time as well.

Judging from the timeline, it is possible the wedding may take place on Gideon's birthday if it is near the end of September. Eva may give Gideon the gift of her working at Cross Industries side by side with him as a wedding gift...then the reception can be held around Christmas with Monica being pacified because she can go with her creme and gold decorating scheme and Eva can have her red rose accents thrown in...Merry Christmas to all especially Gideva!!! LOL!!

• 2 weeks later...

One of the book blogs has a 'vote for which book character you just wish would go away' which includes Corrine. No surprise that she leads in her category.

http://afterdarkbooklovers.com/2015/03/07/after-darks-month-of-madness-day-six/

also at herosandheartbreakers.com there is a "swoonies" contest between different characters in several books. In the historical

category Jaime and Claire (from Outlander) are leading the way. In the contemporary category our Gideon and Eva are winning. This

has been fun to watch and participate in. Has anyone else seen this?

• 4 months later...

I've read a few reviews on Amazon and Good Reads where the reader feels that Captivated by You is just the same book/storyline as Entwined with You.  I don't get it?  Also that they see Gideon as weak and whiney.

Are people just determined not to like this book because the series is no longer a trilogy and/or because of the delay in publication? 

Where in EWY do we have any of Gideon's point of view?  Where do we learn he can sing?  Where do we learn how he treated Ann Lucas when he slept with her and why he did that - I thought that was in CBY, not EWY.  Where do we learn that Corrine is writing a tell all book?  Where do we meet Gideon's friends?

I'm as impatient as everyone to read One With You and was to read CBY but can't say I get so annoyed at the space between books that I would write reviews that basically show that the reader has not read the book properly.  CBY requires careful reading, it is quite subtle with some of the storyline but I suspect the entire contents of the book are important for us to understand to get to One With You.

One reviewer even criticised the fact that the book ended with 'a date'.  Well the author always ends the books on a positive note, what did they want, Gideon in bits because Eva had completely left him - the guy who so far has lost almost everything in his life that should come from love - family (other than Ireland who he is making great strides with but that is not the same as losing your mother and your wife).   Yes in his personal life he is weak because he's built barriers to make him strong in his public life which is going well.  But he needs that private life to be strong as well - the fact he opened up to Eva about his past quite early in their relationship (albeit in dribs and drabs of information) showed he was starting to break down his barriers. 

I think Eva thought he was a bit of a loner, but in CBY she gets to meet his male friends and realises that he is not alone and I wonder if that is why she feels it is time to break Gideon quickly rather than wait for him to do it in his own time which could take some time. 

I sincerely hope we get the last book before Christmas, but if we don't it will only be because the author is ensuring the final book really is outstanding, clears up all our questions and leaves Gideon and Eva with the biggest HEA of any book ever written.

I hope you're right about the 5th book D500. There are still so many questions left to answer, and I felt like even more were added in book 4.  When was Corinne writing her book? Back in France? How could she write it, and have it ready for publishing (isn't that what's happening?) in the short time that's she's been in NY? How is she not mourning the loss of her child? She's just annoying me. I honestly don't want to read anymore about her. Eva is just being stupid w/ the whole Brett situation. And she pushed Gideon too much, plus how can she not see why the other company asked for her personally? It was so obvious. Cary is bothering me too...acting like a child. I'd like more info on Victor and her mom.  Gideon's stepdad really stepped up in this book, can't wait for more of him. Look at me, I'm forgetting everyone's names!  Haven't been on in a while, since nothing new is happening.

I just re read CBY and in chapter 18 I think I have finally figured out why Deanna was so scorned. Gideon is telling Eva that he used Deanna to let Anne know that the door was closed between them. He says Deanna was collateral damage and she would have been a one night stand over and done with. So maybe I'm wrong but it seems they had more than one night. .In EWY he tells Eva that he #$%& Deanna once but perhaps she was a repeated "sexual encounter" to keep Anne away. Also Anne also told Eva that Deanna must be good in bed because he #$%% her alot. So now I'm thinking they may have fooled around with his toys more than just one night.

I have wondered why Deanna was so upset. I guess when he finally decided to have intercourse with her he answered the phone. And asked her to leave. I also thought their conversation in CBY was odd when she brought the news of Corrine's book...she calls herself his lover and Gideon told her he is not like that anymore. I thought this was odd for a night that didn't end well. . But i could be wrong.. He did tell Eva he tends to avoid overly eager woman, which he insinuated Deanna was just that...

Any thoughts? I'm desperately waiting the next book and perhaps over thinking what Deanna's problem was. She's a modern woman who has had many one night stands.

I just re read CBY and in chapter 18 I think I have finally figured out why Deanna was so scorned. Gideon is telling Eva that he used Deanna to let Anne know that the door was closed between them. He says Deanna was collateral damage and she would have been a one night stand over and done with. So maybe I'm wrong but it seems they had more than one night. .In EWY he tells Eva that he #$%& Deanna once but perhaps she was a repeated "sexual encounter" to keep Anne away. Also Anne also told Eva that Deanna must be good in bed because he #$%% her alot. So now I'm thinking they may have fooled around with his toys more than just one night.

I have wondered why Deanna was so upset. I guess when he finally decided to have intercourse with her he answered the phone. And asked her to leave. I also thought their conversation in CBY was odd when she brought the news of Corrine's book...she calls herself his lover and Gideon told her he is not like that anymore. I thought this was odd for a night that didn't end well. . But i could be wrong.. He did tell Eva he tends to avoid overly eager woman, which he insinuated Deanna was just that...

Any thoughts? I'm desperately waiting the next book and perhaps over thinking what Deanna's problem was. She's a modern woman who has had many one night stands.

Deanna had also heard (from who???) that Gideon was 'dark'  - Entwined with You Deanna to Eva "That man has a dark side."  Eva replies "Don't we all?"  Then Eva's thoughts are 'What had she seen of Gideon?  What had he revealed in the course of their .... association?  If they had one.'  The dark side comment was in response to Eva querying what Deanna's angle was in seeking information from Eva about Gideon.

Later in the book Deanna was digging for information as to whether Gideon was violent ("are you in an abusive relationship with Gideon Cross?  Is he violent with an uncontrollable temper?")  He obviously can be (killing Nathan, his feelings as a reaction to the events of the day when he tied Eva up in the elevator, although he had managed to dissipate some of his anger but Captivated By You  revealed that some of his previous s*x life had been less vanilla than the earlier books had indicated, his reaction to his brother challenging him).

If his relationship with Corrine was purely vanilla and he only had s*x in that hotel room, somewhere along the line he became very proficient at pleasing a woman, obtaining whatever toys were in the drawer Eva did not open, seemingly finds 'tasting' a woman less intimate than actually f**king one - not sure I'm on the right track there by the way, just a feeling that he's done that to women more than actual intercourse.  Knowing about a s*x swing and apparently comfortable with putting someone into one (some of this could be explained by viewing internet p*rn of course).

Deanna had also heard (from who???) that Gideon was 'dark'  - Entwined with You Deanna to Eva "That man has a dark side."  Eva replies "Don't we all?"  Then Eva's thoughts are 'What had she seen of Gideon?  What had he revealed in the course of their .... association?  If they had one.'  The dark side comment was in response to Eva querying what Deanna's angle was in seeking information from Eva about Gideon.

Later in the book Deanna was digging for information as to whether Gideon was violent ("are you in an abusive relationship with Gideon Cross?  Is he violent with an uncontrollable temper?")  He obviously can be (killing Nathan, his feelings as a reaction to the events of the day when he tied Eva up in the elevator, although he had managed to dissipate some of his anger but Captivated By You  revealed that some of his previous s*x life had been less vanilla than the earlier books had indicated, his reaction to his brother challenging him).

If his relationship with Corrine was purely vanilla and he only had s*x in that hotel room, somewhere along the line he became very proficient at pleasing a woman, obtaining whatever toys were in the drawer Eva did not open, seemingly finds 'tasting' a woman less intimate than actually f**king one - not sure I'm on the right track there by the way, just a feeling that he's done that to women more than actual intercourse.  Knowing about a s*x swing and apparently comfortable with putting someone into one (some of this could be explained by viewing internet p*rn of course).

We know for certain Deanna has been talking with Corrine (because Deanna ran to Corrine with pictures of GidEva in Times Square.)

We also know for certain Deanna attempted to interview Magdalena (who refused to speak to Deanna and warned Gideon about the reporter)

We know for certain Deanna was at some public event where Anne chased Gideon (the night Gideon had his one-night stand with Deanna).

So my theory is Deanna has interviewed Anne at least once. As for 'dark' we know from Gideon's mind that he engaged in rough sex with Anne. Anne taunted him by asking him whether he had tied up Eva yet, flogged her, etc.) It is also possible Deanna has tracked down one or more of Gideon's other one-night stands.

Can you picture the interview between the evil psychiatrist and the ambitious journalists, both of them feeling scorned by Gideon and both of them wanting to hurt him.

I hope you're right about the 5th book D500. There are still so many questions left to answer, and I felt like even more were added in book 4.  When was Corinne writing her book? Back in France? How could she write it, and have it ready for publishing (isn't that what's happening?) in the short time that's she's been in NY? How is she not mourning the loss of her child? She's just annoying me. I honestly don't want to read anymore about her. Eva is just being stupid w/ the whole Brett situation. And she pushed Gideon too much, plus how can she not see why the other company asked for her personally? It was so obvious. Cary is bothering me too...acting like a child. I'd like more info on Victor and her mom.  Gideon's stepdad really stepped up in this book, can't wait for more of him. Look at me, I'm forgetting everyone's names!  Haven't been on in a while, since nothing new is happening.

Tossing out a theory here: if Anne Lucas is indeed Corrine's doctor, Corrine might have told her a lot about Gideon, and so Anne encouraged her to start writing her thoughts down. That's where the seed of the book came from. And perhaps Corrine has now hired a ghost writer to work fulltime on the book. Could that ghost writer be ... drum roll, please ... Deanna? A freelance journalist (and thus freelance non-fiction writer.) Is that how Deanna knew even before the news release came out that Corrine was working on a book?

Gideon assumes that Deanna accepted his sincere apology and is now on his side. But he could be badly wrong about that. At best, Deanna could be playing both sides of this situation for financial gain. At worst, Deanna wants to hurt him badly as revenge.

I guess I'm hung up on the words " would have been a one night stand over and done with" in chapter 18 of CBY when Gideon is telling Eva why Deanna is upset. I'm feeling he gave Eva part truths when he told her back in EWY that he had "been" with Deanna once. He would have been referring to the time he answered the phone which Deanna told Eva about. He feels it only counts if he used his #$%&. He would have felt the "other encounters" didn't count so she need not know about it.

Corrine would not have told Deanna he has a dark side. Maggie wouldn't talk to Deanna. Perhaps only Anne told her but how would Deanna know Anne and Gideon were together since it was a secret affair. I still feel Deanna and Gideon had more than one night . He used the sex toys on her and was probably cool and dark towards her. Thier last time together he didn't finish and answered the phone . She would have experienced his dark side and his iciness and that's why she told Eva he melted a bit for her. If Deanna and Gideon only had one night she sure knows alot about him and is comfortable enough to place her hand on his forearm and talk candidly about being his lover and how Eva wouldn't want a past lover thrown in her face. If it was one night then Deanna has huge issues but we know she doesn't cause in the Afterburn book she is able to handle one night stands and handle kink and has been around..sleeping with married men to get info and dirt for a good story.

Gideon used her several times and the final time was when he burned her by answering the phone and the Deanna off. She didn't get what she wanted and he probably ignored her ever since.

Do I think Deanna will continue to be an issue...no. The wording in chapter 18 of CBY caught me off guard.

I guess I'm hung up on the words " would have been a one night stand over and done with" in chapter 18 of CBY when Gideon is telling Eva why Deanna is upset. I'm feeling he gave Eva part truths when he told her back in EWY that he had "been" with Deanna once. He would have been referring to the time he answered the phone which Deanna told Eva about. He feels it only counts if he used his #$%&. He would have felt the "other encounters" didn't count so she need not know about it.

Corrine would not have told Deanna he has a dark side. Maggie wouldn't talk to Deanna. Perhaps only Anne told her but how would Deanna know Anne and Gideon were together since it was a secret affair. I still feel Deanna and Gideon had more than one night . He used the sex toys on her and was probably cool and dark towards her. Thier last time together he didn't finish and answered the phone . She would have experienced his dark side and his iciness and that's why she told Eva he melted a bit for her. If Deanna and Gideon only had one night she sure knows alot about him and is comfortable enough to place her hand on his forearm and talk candidly about being his lover and how Eva wouldn't want a past lover thrown in her face. If it was one night then Deanna has huge issues but we know she doesn't cause in the Afterburn book she is able to handle one night stands and handle kink and has been around..sleeping with married men to get info and dirt for a good story.

Gideon used her several times and the final time was when he burned her by answering the phone and the Deanna off. She didn't get what she wanted and he probably ignored her ever since.

Do I think Deanna will continue to be an issue...no. The wording in chapter 18 of CBY caught me off guard.

I do not think the Deanna bomb is dormant by any means.  We know Gideon is clueless when it comes to women and he has seriously underestimated the tenacious reporter...but she better tread lightly because Gideon can easily destroy her career if she makes the wrong move.  That is an interesting thought that perhaps she is helping Corinne to write her book.  I don't trust her and could easily see her working together with Anne and Corinne.  Obviously Eva is on to her which is usually the case with Gideon's former sexual partners.  I also think Gideon underestimates Anne Lucas as a threat.  I think she would definitely do Eva physical harm... That woman is way past revenge mode...she's out for blood.  :(  :(

I do not think the Deanna bomb is dormant by any means.  We know Gideon is clueless when it comes to women and he has seriously underestimated the tenacious reporter...but she better tread lightly because Gideon can easily destroy her career if she makes the wrong move.  That is an interesting thought that perhaps she is helping Corinne to write her book.  I don't trust her and could easily see her working together with Anne and Corinne.  Obviously Eva is on to her which is usually the case with Gideon's former sexual partners.  I also think Gideon underestimates Anne Lucas as a threat.  I think she would definitely do Eva physical harm... That woman is way past revenge mode...she's out for blood.  :(  :(

Definitely, Anne is out for blood. Some of us here on the board suspect Anne is the psychiatrist who fed Corrine pills that drove her to attempt suicide. Corrine being driven off the deep end was going on during the time period when people (and thus Anne) thought Eva was history and Gideon was back with Corrine. Look what happened the night GidEva went public with them being back together and now 'engaged.' Anne went after Eva that very night. Tried to mess with Eva's mind.

Gideon warned Anne to leave Eva alone, and he's definitely got Raul watching Eva's back ... but ...

I can't see Anne working with Deanna. Anne probably hates Deanna's guts, because he f*%#ed Deanna immediately after he dumped Anne. Deanna needs to watch her own back.