Reflected in You **spoiler thread**

Sylvia Day

My guess, Nathalia, is Gideon ended up talking to both his mother and his half-brother that weekend. His mother probably was furious on the phone about the fight Eva picked with her -- how dare his ex-girlfriend go around slandering her as a bad mother. And Christopher probably couldn't resist a prime opportunity to twist Gideon's tail about how his ex-girlfriend was out on the town looking stunning, dancing with him, and picking a cat fight with their mother.

I only wonder which one picked up the phone first. If I had to guess, it was Christopher who called Gideon first and then Gideon called his mother second. Christopher is a vindictive S.O.B. and part of his nastiness is going after Gideon's female discards. Elizabeth wants the whole abuse accusations kept a deep, dark secret.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both the detectives and Gideon found out that Nathan beat up Cary. But Gideon found out first - he found out the Monday after it happened. The detectives found out after Nathan turned up dead. The big question here is: how did Gideon find out so much earlier than the cops?

Someone else had posted their thought that maybe Gideon was worried about her moving on also b/c of the interview Brett had given that Cary showed Eva. Saying that he wanted to try and reconnect w/ her. I think that couldv'e been another reason why he gave her back her ring.

I wonder how Gideon found out Eva spoke to his mother? Did Elizabeth call him and tell him...asking what he's said to her? Or Christopher mabye saw how upset he was after speaking to Eva, maybe?

Good catch, Nathalia. An additional reason why Gideon finally caved that Monday, after having zero contact since Eva dumped him, by cornering her in the elevator, placing the promise ring back on her hand, and asking her to "Wait." When she got home from work that night, Cary told he'd found online a transcript of an interview Brett gave a Florida radio station the day before.

So Gideon must have had a really bad weekend to have shown up at the Crossfire on Monday, ring in pocket and taking the huge risk of approaching Eva in a crowded elevator in front of two of her co-workers. Saturday, she's out on the town, looking gorgeous with a sexy new makeover, dancing with Christopher and picking a nasty fight with his mother. Sunday, the rock-star ex-boyfriend she kissed, who's out on a concert tour, is saying in an interview he wants her back.

i thought that he returned the ring to her on monday only because she left the ring for him on friday.  he would have had to opportunity to run into her all weekend, so monday was the first chance he had.  it's a simple explaination.  i think he trusts eva at this point (as we hear him say in the security office the next day (i think?).  the only thing she does that really stirs him is visiting lucas' office, and i don't think that is lack of trust in her as opposed to lucas.  i don't think the article about brett would phase him, as he surely knew of her lunch date with him before then.  trust is going to be a fun color on these 2 in the next book.

The week Nathan died, Eva dumped Gideon early Saturday morning. Called him on his cell and read him the riot act. And that's the last they spoke. He never called her back, and he never tried to see her.

The following Thursday, she had Clancy swing by Gideon's apartment building. Downstairs at the front desk, she left an envelope containing the ring and her key to his apartment. No note. He didn't call nor try to see her Friday.

Then on Saturday, she began transforming into "new Eva." And raised absolute with his mother that night. And danced with his smarmy half-brother. He didn't call her nor try to see her that weekend.

Sunday, Brett gives an interview in Florida (remember, he's out on tour) saying he'd reconnected with Eva and hopes to work things out. That interview hit the Internet.

So now it's Monday. Well over a week since Eva ended it. Two weeks to the day since he'd pulled away from her. And he approaches her, doing something totally out of character by jumping into a crowded elevator while she's in it with two co-workers, coming back from lunch. Gets her to stay on the elevator until it empties out of everyone but them. Pins her to the wall, shoves the ring back on her finger, kisses her hand, tells her "wait" and just leaves.

So why return the ring on Monday instead of Friday? Because over the weekend, a lot happened. And if Gideon is doing his usual stalking her under the pretense of keeping a protective eye, he must have found out about most, if not all, of the weekend developments.

Over the weekend, Eva quit quietly licking her wounds and emerged independent and strong and running her life. Also over the weekend, there was a reminder that the Gideon-Eva-Brett love triangle still exists. Before then, Gideon's tune had been "trust me." All of a sudden he's also saying "wait." Besides by Monday he had every reason to be paranoid about Brett.

The Friday before Nathan died: Gideon caught Eva kissing, really kissing, Brett. It's the angriest he's ever been with her and sparked the worst (and hottest) fight they ever had. A fight that ended with them figuring out her unconscious motivation for kissing Brett. It was because she was insecure about her relationship with Gideon and jealous (i.e. Corrine.)

Tuesday before Nathan died: Eva took Brett to lunch. By then, Gideon had been being a jerk for more than 24 hours. He'd taken Corrine to dinner the night before, to the same restaurant he'd taken Eva on Friday. A cozy picture of them was online Tuesday. Eva found out. And she let Gideon know it - she emailed him the picture, and then saw Brett. It was for spite. Even she recognized it, because at one point she half-hoped someone would get a picture of her with Brett. Gideon never did get to hear the story about what went on at lunch. He and Eva had a quick, but angry argument right after she got back to the building. So Gideon has no way of knowing what how things were left between her and Brett. Certainly she was, with very good reason, jealous and insecure that day.

Saturday: Eva tells Gideon he's broken her heart by, amongst other things, sleeping with Corrine (something Eva had VERY good reason to believe at the time, given where the party picture was taken, at the hotel he's taken every woman he's ever slept with, starting with Corrine many years ago.) Especially because Gideon does not defend himself, nor deny the accusations. Eva hangs up on him. He never calls her back, not that day, not even that week.

A week from Sunday (eight days after the break-up, during which time Gideon and Eva have had zero contact.)  Brett tells a radio station he and Eva recently reconnected and he's hoping for another shot. And why wouldn't there at least be a chance he could get one. A part of Eva is warm for his form. And Gideon has gone waaay beyond making her insecure: he broke her heart. And gave her (so she believed at the time) the ultimate reason to be jealous: he went back to Corrine.

Sometimes it's what a character does not do that's a red flag. Especially when a character stops doing something. Like Monica phoning Eva daily. You're right, GiGi, about Monica cutting was back on the frequency she phones Eva is red flag. It's a biggie. One could argue that Monica now is no longer paranoid about Eva's safety, because Nathan is dead, so she doesn't need to check on Eva all the time. But I don't think it's that simple. There's definitely something more to it. You sense it too. It's why you're in Camp Stanton/Monica.

Here's my own take. Aside from Detective Graves, the only person who has told Eva anything about Nathan's actions in New York is Monica. She's blurted stuff out while upset, especially right after Nathan died. Like Eva, Monica found out (or supposedly found out) from the cops showing up on her doorstep. The cops went to see Eva Friday night. Saturday morning, they saw Monica and Stanton. Soon as they left, Monica went running to Eva's place to give her the news, only to discover the cops had gotten to Eva first. And in this scene (starts on page 273) is when Monica lets slip some of the secrets she'd been keeping from Eva, especially the existence of the pictures and video Nathan had.

Bottom line: Monica is still keeping secrets. More now than ever. But she gets very rattled when the cops go after Stanton. Twice, she's been rattled enough to actually mention the cops to Eva. But mostly, she's kept her mouth shut, and I think this is why she's no longer calling Eva daily. Because Monica is now keeping very secret from Eva the ongoing investigation. Yet Monica is highly emotional, gets reduced to tears rather easily, and so she sometimes lets things slip.

I've been unabashedly leading Camp The Cops Are Trying To Trap Gideon and Eva. Want to know what THE single biggest red flag I see that makes me believe it's true? Out of many red flags present near the end of Reflected? What Monica said when she called Eva angry and in tears after yet another visit the cops made to Stanton. See the bottom of page 329 and the top of page 330.  They'd shown up that day at Stanton's office to take copies of the security tapes. And Monica blurted out the cops are being "relentless."

Know when the cops showed up with a search warrant for Stanton's security tapes? The day before Detective Graves "accidentally" runs into Eva at the Krav Maga studio. And claims among other things she'd burned her notes, and her partner had agreed they'd reached a dead end. Malarkey. Less than 36 hours before, they showed up search warrant in hand to force Stanton to cough up security footage of a particular day or days they were interested in. What did Graves and her partner do, "burn" whatever data device the copy was on instead of taking the time (lots of time) to analyze the footage contained?

Um no. If Graves and her partner decided on their own to drop a murder case (unlikely) and destroy their notes (detectives, especially homicide ones, never destroy case files) then why are they one day before serving a search warrant on a high-power (and seriously lawyered-up) financier at his office? And here's where my knowledge of legal procedure comes in: cops have to go through a judge to get a search warrant signed. And once they've served the warrant, they have to file with the judge's court office the fact they did so, including providing an inventory list of what they seized.

The cops are still being relentless. In fact, they've turned ruthless. The only "wall" Detective Graves has hit is failing to be able to punch one hole in Gideon's alibi. She's found just one possible hole in that entire day and night, the hour-long disruption caused by the small fire at the hotel where the vodka party took place. But Gideon was far too clever, so Graves can't break it. So the cops have decided instead to try to trap him into incriminating himself. Eva's the bait.

Oh and one of the Entwined snippets contains what I think is a related red flag to the cops' recent search warrant for Stanton (his security tapes.) When I spotted it in the snippet, I knew the cops are still running around with search warrants for records. It's the phone call Eva made to Gideon from the nightclub. She chose to use nightclub's phone, figuring it would be safe to use that number because Gideon owns the place. Safe how? Safe for some business-related phone number to show up on his phone records.

Because the cops can keep trying to get records like lists of phone calls to and from particular numbers. Copies of security tape footage. Bank records. Travel records. Lots of things. And not just for the time period before Nathan died. They can keep going back for stuff from after Nathan died too. In order to look for evidence of an ongoing cover-up conspiracy. Which could include search warrants for phone records listing the numbers of incoming and outgoing calls on Gideon's various personal and work phones.  And Stanton's. And probably Monica's. And now Eva's.

So Gideon and Eva are being very careful about phone calls. And thus far the only two times we've seen him approach her post-Reflected, in the Entwined Snippets, he's disguised his appearance to make himself look like some ordinary 20-something guy, not the young mogul he is. He either thinks the coast is not yet clear, or he actually knows it's not. Thus the secrecy. 

All along, he'd been asking for Eva to wait. For what? For him to go back to her. Why did he ever leave? To fool the cops into thinking he'd left Eva to go back to his former fiancé, thereby doing away with his motive. He loved Corrine, who'd left him all those years ago and then married another man. He loved Corrine, not Eva, so why would he killed for Eva. When would it be safe to go back to Eva? Sometime after the cops finally stopped investigating him.

Bear with me here in my theories: After the cops backed off, he could after some period of time make it look like his going back to Corrine didn't work out. Remember, she was the one who rejected him years ago; she broke the engagement. Now that she's getting divorced, he leapt at the chance to get her back. But again, the two of them didn't work out. So he's free again and has his pick of the many women waiting in the wings, the two most recent being Eva and Magdalene, both of whom he's publicly dated, you can assume from the tabloid photos. Why not give it another shot with either woman? Especially Eva. If you believe the gossip photos, he ditched Magdalene for Eva, so she'd be the more natural choice of the two. 

Graves isn't buying the cover story he jumped at the chance to win back the "one who got away" many years ago, the one he wanted to marry, the one he still loves. Graves knows he loves Eva. So she's set it up to have Eva go running back to him first, while the coast most definitely is not clear. Then to sit back and watch them give themselves away. And go after them soon as they do.  

Hi LNCronan,

I read your posting and I was just wondering if Monica is so rattle because she is the one who killed Nathan? That would be a really big secret to carry around for someone who isn’t good at carry those kinds of secrets? It might also explain why Monica is upset about the police going after Stanton. Stanton has been good to Monica, Stanton has constantly cleaned up all of Monica’s family messes and Monica likes that. Monica’s Marilyn Monroe “ish†is starting to fade. Could it be that the rose is losing its bloom? Could it be that Monica is starting to unravel just a little bit?

I am completely in agreement with you about Detective Graves. I don’t think that woman has one altruistic bone in her body. There is also no way that a detective can just decide not to investigate a “fresh†homicide case. They would receive “pink slip†therapy (i.e. they would lose their jobs). I guess we are going to have to wait and see. I have a strong feeling that Detective Graves will play a big role in the next book.

We are now in the month of March lady. We have only three more months to figure out the entire story; who did what to whom, who hid what from whom and who was just plain clueless. If we have any extra time left over, which I think we will, maybe we can come up with a cure for that pesky cancer thing. What do you think? With all the brain power of all the ladies in this forum…PIECE OF CAKE!! :):) :)

Hi LNCronan,

Who knew that the word “paranoid†and Gideon could be found in the same sentence? Holy molly, by the end of the series I think we are all going to need therapy(psychiatric or chiropractic, either one will do)! This is turning into a veritable Payton Place! :)

Some of Monica's actions clearly are red flags. Others might look like red flags but are really red herrings design to mislead us down a plot path only to have that path twist.

The fun part about hashing things out here with our various theories is we're all trying to figure out where those red flags are leading. The things Monica is saying, and when she's saying them, are in the story for a reason. There's something there with her and Stanton, no doubt about it. You read those signs as the red flags foreshadowing Monica and/or Stanton as the killers. I read them as some sort of cooperation going on between Gideon and Stanton.

Other people view as red flags the things that point to Gideon as the killer. And there are many more red flags tied to him. So much so that some of those have got to be red herrings, designed to mislead us in some ways. But which are which? Only June 4 will tell for sure. Maybe some more snippets in the meantime.

Speaking of Gideon/Stanton red flags, GiGi, when I was reviewing the timeline that led up to Gideon giving Eva back the ring, and starting to ask her to "wait" instead of simply "trust me" I spotted something else. Three little plot developments that happened, one later Monday and the other two the next day Tuesday. All of them concern building security, and they send up what I view as a Gideon/Stanton red flag.

Monday evening, shortly after 5 p.m. (same day that at lunchtime, Gideon gave Eva back her ring.) Later that afternoon, he had Corrine in the building. He waited until after Eva left for the day in order to walk through the lobby and out to his second car, his hand at the small of Corrine's back. Unfortunately for him, Eva had just gone around the corner to the store and was coming back toward the building when she caught him.

Tuesday after lunch (and after a lot of Gideon/Eva stuff distracted us) Gideon has Crossfire building security bring Eva to the security office, where he's waiting out of sight to talk with her.

Tuesday sometime during the day: the police show up at Stanton's office to seize security camera footage. How do we find out, as well as find out the cops are harassing him? Because Monica calls Eva Tuesday after work.

What do I read into that? If the cops are still going after more office surveillance tapes of Stanton, they're almost certainly been doing the same thing to Gideon. This may explain why he paraded Corrine past the Crossfire cameras on Monday. Still working on maintaining that cover story he left Eva to go back to Corrine. But there's another explanation too: the cops are trying to link Stanton and Gideon via office tapes. Tapes covering time after Nathan died, not before. Maybe they have caught wind of something between the two men and are trying to prove it.

It was almost easy to miss that subtlety in the larger goings on Monday and Tuesday regarding Gideon and Eva. Because those same two days, all sorts of communication resumed between the pair, nine days after they'd had zero communication at all. Gideon gives Eva the ring Monday. She later sees Corrine. It lights a fire under her to once and for all to find out what's the deal with Corrine.

Tuesday morning, she went to Corrine's half afraid she was going to find out it was true Gideon was sleeping with Corrine. But in the end, she saw through Corrine, and Corrine gave herself away. Next, she hits Dr. Lucas' office, and Gideon goes running there. Then they have their heart-to-heart in the car, and she agrees to wait. Next, she goes to lunch with Christopher. And finally, there's one last communication with Gideon. After lunch, he has security sneak her into the security office so they can talk.

Ok, I said before If Nathan knew Eva was seeing Gideon why would he attack Cary and say " stay away from her"? The detectives said there were lots of pictures in Nathan's room of Cary..!! So Maybe...... Just maybe when Nathan went to see Gideon the time Monica saw him leaving the crossfire Gideon may have lied to Nathan and said it was Cary seeing her, or something to the likes of that to make him want to attack Cary...!! I just don't understand why Nathan would go back to the crossfire if Gideon and him got into a physical altercation before.. ( did Gideon call him there to say he wasn't seeing Eva anymore)? I do think once Gideon knew Nathan was in New York he had someone keeping tabs on him..!

JUNE 4th IS NOT COMING FAST ENOUGH FOR ME..!!

But I think we are not going to get the details of the murder anyway.. I think it's going to be a code between Ace and Angel. Something they never talk about...!!

Hi LNCronan,

If Gideon was smart enough to erase any tapes which showed him having any pleasant type of contact with Eva, then surely Stanton would have been smart enough to erase any tapes which showed Gideon going into his office building. It wouldn’t make sense that Gideon was careful and that Stanton wasn’t?

If I were to sit back and think about this logically, I don’t think that either Gideon or Stanton would have met in their respective offices if either man was planning to commit the murder. I also don’t think that either man would disclose their plans of murder to the other. So the reader is left to wonder; is this red flag or a red herring?

Hey Mrs. C. Right after the tabloids ran their first pictures of Gideon and Eva as a couple, they soon ran some pictures of Cary and Eva together, raising (false) speculation that something was going on between them too. It was enough to make Gideon himself wonder, so much so he confronted Eva. This was one of their first arguments.

If we're to believe it was the early tabloid fodder that lured Nathan out from whatever rock he was under, then he'd too wonder about Cary. Especially because Cary and Eva live together. And they're often seen in public too. Bear with me: maybe Nathan is so crazy that any man who is, or might be, sleeping with Eva enrages him. And remember, too, the tabloids made some fodder about Gideon and Magdalene at the same time. Trying to make out like there were a couple of love triangles. See page 172 onward in Bared to You.

Re: the second time Nathan was in/near the Crossfire (the time Monica and her driver/bodyguard Clancy spotted him outside.) What if Nathan had tried to on impulse get in to see Eva as a way to ratchet up the pressure on both Gideon and Stanton? Detective Graves theory is Nathan's attack on Cary was meant to indirectly threaten Gideon. Which is probably the case. But also the "stay away from her" is Nathan's insane thinking that Cary used to sleep with Eva too, maybe even still might be.

GiGi

Stanton had nothing to hide from the beginning so it wouldn't matter what the detectives saw on his security tapes..! After Eva and Christopher Jr had lunch, the security at crossfire pulled her aside to go in the security room with Gideon, she asked him "why are you in here" he responded "Plausible Deniability" so we know he's hiding and erasing something..!!

I'm not saying that Stanton and Gideon were meeting at one another's offices subsequent to Nathan's death. In fact I doubt it at all. But I think the cops are doing is digging hard to find any sort of connection between the two men. If they're going after surveillance tape to check on both men's comings and goings to their offices, they're probably pulling more phone records too, and financial records and other sorts of things. Trying to find anything. They cast wide nets hoping to catch something. Because even the smartest criminals can trip themselves up. In fact, the more powerful the men, sometimes the more arrogant.

It struck me as odd that within the same 24 hours or so, we have three separate things stuck within parts of the story that concern the public areas of both Stanton and Gideon's offices. Tapes of Stanton's seized, and we don't know how many days either. They could be looking at one day. They could be looking at every day since Nathan died. In the same period, we have Gideon very publicly escorting the ex-fiance he got back out of his office building to head somewhere after work. And we have Gideon sneaking around his own building by meeting Eva in the building security office itself.

One explanation: Monday lunchtime, he jumps into the same elevator as Eva in front of a lot of witnesses. So to counter that, Monday evening, he makes sure he gets spotted leaving with Corrine. Because he's paranoid about security footage now. By Tuesday lunchtime, the cops have come and gone to Stanton's office to get tape there. So when Gideon needs to talk to Eva after lunch, he sees her in probably the safest spot in the building, the security office itself. Did Stanton alert Gideon the cops have come back yet again digging around?

GiGi

Stanton had nothing to hide from the beginning so it wouldn't matter what the detectives saw on his security tapes..! After Eva and Christopher Jr had lunch, the security at crossfire pulled her aside to go in the security room with Gideon, she asked him "why are you in here" he responded "Plausible Deniability" so we know he's hiding and erasing something..!!

Hi MrsCrossfire,

I just wanted to clarify that if Stanton and Gideon were conspiring to kill Nathan together, then it would make sense to hide any communication or meetings from the police. I don’t necessarily believe that, it was just one of many possible theories. :)

Jo- I, too at one point thought that Ireland was actually his daughter, but that opinion was ruthlessly loathed by a lot of people in another forum I went to regarding these books. It was in the other forum where someone brought up an interesting point. They thought that the Doctoral candidate that came to see Gideon was the therapist Eva's dad sent her to in California. Psychologists, can be doctors, just not MDs, they can be PhDs though. Psychiatrists are the MDs. Just some thoughts to chew on, but, more than likely, I am wrong again. Sorry if there are any typos or if this doesn't make any sense, it's very early in the morning where I am.

Well how is this for a shocker or maybe not--->Corrine killed Nathan!

I say this as when Eva had returned from lunch with Megaumi, she say Corrine looking all flushed exiting the building. She assumed Corrine was meeting with Gideon and proceed to confront Gideon. Upon finding him in his office, he was disheveled, and semi naked, she later found what she thought was lipstick on his shirt.

Now later, Sylvia confirmed that Gideon and Nathan actually fought and it was blood on Gideon's shirt.

So Nathan was in the building and actually had just left so Eva missed him.

I think Nathan and Corrine met and possible she was "manhandled" by someone (Gideon's choice of words) and that someone was Nathan. I think Nathan most likely at some point attacked Corrine and she killed him or something along those lines and Gideon was actually protecting her, rather than using her for an alibi or to what the Detectives think "give the impression that he had broken up with Eva and return to his former old flame"

I really think Corinne and Nathan met during that whole scene. Gideon supposedly didn't know she was in the building and had entered his limo and I believe she was meeting Nathan there.

But overall, as easily at it was laid out in EWY, I think it was too neatly pieced together and Corrine not Gideon killed Nathan.

Thoughts?

Read pages32-39 and visually imagine the time laspse between Eva returning from lunch, Corrine leaving the building as Eva was across the street, Nathan leaving Gideon's office (and he randomly appeared there as well I think as Gideon won't dare invite him that close to Eva) after the fight, Eva walking into the office.

I think Angus offered Corrine a ride purposely to warn her potentially.

I don't think Gideon would tell Corrine about what Nathan did to Eva

But what if Corrine saw Nathan after he'd been hit by Gideon as he left his office.

She would see that he'd stopped her from seeing Gideon .

Maybe Nathan tells her what he's up to

If Corrine killed him she may want the police to point the finger at Gideon for 2 reasons

1. He would distance himself from Eva and spend more time with her

2. Well if she can't have him she sure as h ell isn't allowing Eva to have him

I don't think you get my point. I am saying Corrine and Nathan met which is why she had that "satisfied" looked on her face. I think she and Nathan met and he "steamingly manhandled her" nd when she realized what he was and how despicable that she was the one that killed him.

She didn't kill him because of Gideon or Eva but because he potentially assaulted her or violated her. I think Gideon was actually protecting her after the fact and not so much as establishing an alibi for he himself killing her.

If you read those pages I suggested you can see the plausible Corrine and Nathan had some form of interaction in that building. I think at first Corrine thought it was for tat--> Eva dating her ex, so now she will date who she thinks is one of Eva's Exs.

Look out as she and Brett may end up connecting as well.