Reflected in You **spoiler thread**

Sylvia Day

Hi ShazScott1980,

I agree too! Is it just me or does anyone else think it is completely strange that Monica spotted Nathan outside of the Crossfire Building but NEVER said a word to Eva? Why?! Monica of all people knew what Nathan was capable of! So why say nothing to your only daughter, about a man who has clearly proven himself to be dangerous?

In one instance the reader is lead to believe that Monica is over-the-top protective of Eva. She calls her constantly, makes sure Clancy drives her to “less safe†areas when she has Krav Maga, but when a huge real threat comes along….NOTHING?! I don’t buy it.

Monica later confessed to Eva that Stanton had decided to pay off the blackmail. That would have meant that Nathan was in town for a least a week and not just for those few days. That in turn would mean that Monica knew about Nathan and his whereabouts for that entire time. Yet she still said nothing….hmmm?

It also would suggest that Nathan went to Monica and Stanton first before he ever darkened Gideon’s door. I suspect that Nathan first went to Monica/Stanton thinking that he would be able to bully them into paying the blackmail but when they said no, he then went on to Gideon and then all heck broke loose. The entire situation is completely odd...sigh! Oh my, we still have to wait more than two months for the next book. Sigh!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GiGi,

Gideon broke my heart in the car when he begged Eva not to leave him... shaking and trembling with no tears. Every now and then he blurts out an insecurity: 'Maybe you'll like me again' and when he asked her to repeat what she said in the car after he opened up about Christopher Jr. She's getting him to open up slowly but surely. I think he will when he sees that she still wants him after 'what I did' as given in a snippet.

I teach little 6-year-olds in a private school with some prominent families that I've had to intervene on children's' behalf. People that we are intertwined with in business and such outside of school. I have a fourteen-year-old daughter/only child whose father and I watch over and protect. I could go on and on with the correlations. This story hits too close to home and is right on. I'm obsessed!

Hi MicheleWV,

It is obvious that Gideon still has some very dark secrets and that’s preventing him from being completely honest. I wonder what those secrets could be. I don’t know if the Nathan issue is Gideon’s darkest secret. I have to wonder. Eva has figured out through Gideon’s dreams that he was seriously abused. Gideon can no longer hide that so he is forced to verbalize his abuse on some level (somehow I don’t think we have even scratched the surface there…).

What I found more interesting is that while Gideon was opening up, he wasn’t able to cry. That is very significant to me. It is as if Gideon’s confessions are only a first step, but he hasn’t consciously connected himself with what happened as a child. Many abuse survivors say they almost have an out of body experience when they are being abused. It is a way for the mind to be able to protect itself. Part of the healing process occur when the abused person is able to feel the “feelings†(shame, fear, pain, outrage, depression, etc.) and it seems that Gideon isn’t able to do that yet. He can’t even talk about his dreams with Eva.

I understand your passion and commitment to the book. I too feel that same passion, but from a healthcare stand point. I have seen so many ways that Gideon has been let down that it infuriates me! I want to believe the best in people and I so desperately want Gideon and Eva to have their happily ever after, because sometimes that doesn’t happen in real life.

It is amazing that we are reading the exact same book, but we each understand it from a different perspective. I think that’s what makes this such an enriching online book club. :)

Does anyone else suspect that Gideons mom had an affair with dr Lucas? Maybe she was busy doing him to take care of him and know about abuse? Gideon made a comment about how he knew she would like Cary. Why? Gideon reminded his mom that Cary was evas friend there for his friend as well. Somehow that seemed like a warning of some sort. Sorry I'm bored I could just speculate till June. Lol!

Does anyone else suspect that Gideons mom had an affair with dr Lucas? Maybe she was busy doing him to take care of him and know about abuse? Gideon made a comment about how he knew she would like Cary. Why? Gideon reminded his mom that Cary was evas friend there for his friend as well. Somehow that seemed like a warning of some sort. Sorry I'm bored I could just speculate till June. Lol!

GiGi,

Good points about Monica!

For someone obsessed about Eva's safety--- WHY wouldn't Monica tell Eva that Nathan was in town?????

I think Monica didn't tell Eva about Nathan being in NY to protect her daughter .

She didn't want to worry Eva about Nathan's presents . Monica couldn't protect Eva from Nathan when she didn't know about the abuse.

But now Monica saw how Eva was in a relationship with Gideon a suitable man of means for her daughter . She didn't want Nathan to harm that.

You ladies have got me thinking about Monica and Gideon's contact right after Cary landed in the hospital. There definitely had been some ongoing Gideon/Monica/Stanton contact behind Eva's back.

The way Eva and Gideon found out Cary was in the hospital was that Monica and Stanton left phone messages with Gideon over the weekend. I think it's safe to presume they left messages for Eva too, but Eva (and thus we readers) find out from Gideon first. They got back from North Carolina around midnight Sunday into Monday (after having been out of contact all weekend.) Gideon happened to be the first to check his voice mail.

Thanks to Gideon, Eva spends the rest of the night in Cary's hospital room. Monica comes by first early on Monday, and she's so she's already there when Gideon shows up to check on Eva before he heads to work. At one point, she pulls Gideon aside to talk to him -- we're led to presume it's to berate him for his having kept Eva out of phone contact with the outside world (and thus Monica too) all weekend.

But what if this was a red herring meant to throw us off the fact that Monica and Gideon talked about Nathan?

Maybe Monica and Stanton had heard from Nathan over the weekend? That after the beating, he used it to put additional pressure on Stanton to pay up? And now on Monday morning, the first chance Monica had to speak fact to face with Gideon, she was relaying to Gideon information about Nathan that was far too sensitive for voice mail?

Mind you, I still think Gideon was having Nathan followed, and independently his security people told him too via a live phone call (i.e. no voice mail -- too sensitive.) Gideon answered his cell phone just after he said good-bye. I can't see Gideon practically stalking Eva from day one of their relationship and not having someone who is a potential danger walking around unmonitored.

But now I recall that in her own way, Monica practically stalked her own daughter too, paranoid about Eva's safety? The whole incident about Eva finding out her mother had been monitoring Eva's very movements via cell phone? That was how Monica and Stanton immediately learned Eva was going to an area of Brooklyn they felt was a little unsafe -- where the Krav Maga studio is? Stanton invited Eva to lunch at his office in order to berate her for upsetting her mother. Eva's angry reaction was to get rid of the cell phone and to then to force her mother to take her (Eva) to a joint appointment to Monica's therapist, Dr. Petersen.

So I can see Gideon/Monica/Stanton all working together to hide Nathan from Eva, continue to have both followed, and possibly end up working together to deal once and for all with the sicko.

Mind you, I am still convinced Gideon himself sank that knife into Nathan's chest. But now -- thanks to the ongoing excellent discussions here -- consider the possibility Monica and Stanton were accessories to the killing, either before and/or after the fact (i.e. helped plan it and/or actively helped cover it up afterward.)

I can totally see why Monica would hide from Eva the fact that Nathan was in New York and trying to blackmail her/Stanton.

The Monica we meet early In Bared was practically stalking her own daughter out of paranoia for Eva's safety. Physically monitoring her movements via a cell phone Monica and Stanton had given Eva. That's how they found out Eva went out to Brooklyn to check out the Krav Maga studio. Monica turned it over to Stanton to have a little talk with Eva. Eva turned it over to Monica's shrink to have a big talk with her.

Dr. Petersen essentially told Monica she was taking things too far. And the story strongly suggests this isn't the first time Eva's dragged him into the ongoing issue between her and her mother.

Monica as someone who tries to manage Eva's safety behind her daughter's back, occasionally getting caught. Look at the fuss getting caught about the whole Krav Maga thing caused. Eva forcing Mom to back off. So yeah, I can totally see Monica with Stanton's help secretly managing the Nathan threat without telling Eva a thing.

Remember when Eva asked Gideon at the estate who the two guys handing him the keys were? He said his security detail scrambled when he took off so fast for Eva. I think fom Day 1 Gideon had Eva trailed because of his position in the business world and his craze for her. I think he discovered Eva was being stalked and lured Nathan indirectly with the publicity antics. Of course it ended up worse than he bargained for. Anyway, Gideon admitted he saw pics of Eva. I'm sure it brought Gideon pain in more ways than one: from his rapes AND seeing his love being. I'm sticking with him piercing Nathan's heart in one fierce blow. I don't think he would risk scheming with others. AND it's personal.

AND I DO think that Gideon and Stanton are keeping a lot from their ladies.

We don't know what the photos Nathan had of Eva that he showed to Gideon .

It could simple have been to love he was stalking her.

I'm on the Monica killing Nathan and Gideon turning up to do it and its done. He the carries out the tidying up.

Maybe he leaves the photos and other things that would point the police to think that Nathan was stalking Eva .

I'm interested in finding out more about Victor and if he will help out so Eva and Gideon can be happy together.

Hi Mrs. CrossXxXxX,

How would the theory of Elizabeth Vidal having an affair with Dr. Lucas play out? Why would Elizabeth Vidal want to have an affair? What would her motive be? Dr. Lucas wouldn’t have been wealthy so she couldn’t have done it for the money. What’s your theory? :)

I think Monica didn't tell Eva about Nathan being in NY to protect her daughter .

She didn't want to worry Eva about Nathan's presents . Monica couldn't protect Eva from Nathan when she didn't know about the abuse.

But now Monica saw how Eva was in a relationship with Gideon a suitable man of means for her daughter . She didn't want Nathan to harm that.

Hi ShazScott1980,

How was Monica protecting Eva by not telling her about Nathan? How was that specific action/ sor lack there of supposed to help Eva? What is your theory? :)

Hi LNCronan,

How did Monica get duped by Nathan (if you can call it that)? Monica must have known that Nathan was in town before Gideon because the timeline wouldn’t make sense any other way. I think Nathan picked to approach Monica first because she was an easy target. He could use Monica’s love for her daughter and guilt about the past as leverage against her. What Nathan probably didn’t count on was Stanton. No one responded in the way that he expected. It could be that Nathan’s past experiences taught him that every time he stamped his feet people gave in. He wouldn’t have counted on the fact that Monica would have grown emotionally and also grown wiser.

What I find most odd is that Monica, Stanton, and Gideon have all this money yet none of them sought to provide top of the line security for Eva? Before anyone says anything, I don’t believe that someone “shadowing†Eva is considered top of the line. In order for someone to receive the best security, they need to be kept in the loop so they can understand; what the threat is (Nathan) and what steps need to be taken in order for the threat to be neutralized. No one sought to do that for Eva. Why? It is obvious that Gideon’s security team grossly failed when Carey was attacked, but still no one sought to inform Eva? Again why?

Even when Eva was having her “one sided†heart to heart with her mother, her mother remained tight lipped about what had been going on. It was only when Eva started asking specific questions, her mother offered short, brief and almost vague answers. Monica didn’t volunteer any information even after the threat of Nathan was eliminated. Why? If Monica wasn’t responsible for Nathan’s death, why be so secretive?

If that’s not enough, Eva had to specifically call her mother and ask her about the day she, Megumi and her mother went to lunch. Monica still didn’t volunteer any information until Eva specifically asked her whether she saw Nathan. Why?

Monica went from one extreme to another. She went from being paranoid about her daughter’s safety to ….nothing. She stopped the constant communication with her daughter and never informed her when her daughter was in danger. I think that Monica knew her daughter well. She would have figured that Eva would have assumed that Monica stopped calling obsessively because she had finally taken Dr. Peterson’s advice, but all the while Monica was up to something else. It seems that Monica knows her daughter better than Eva knows herself. Monica also would have known that Eva wouldn’t have confronted her mother about Nathan because she wouldn’t want to make her mother feel any guiltier than she already did. Point…Match…Game! Monica just maneuvered everyone without them even knowing it. In some ways this woman really is brilliant. What does everyone else think?

Hi LNCronan,

That’s my whole point, why would Monica lie to Eva about Nathan being in New York? How does that further her cause? How does that protect Eva? Monica of all people knows how dangerous Nathan is. Yet she doesn’t say anything to her own daughter about the man who caused her so much harm in the past? That makes no sense me.

I also don’t understand why Monica/Stanton agreed to pay the blackmail. Again Monica of all people knows that Nathan is dangerous. He brutally raped and tortured Eva and killed her cat so why on earth would Monica believe a man who is very capable of being dangerous and even murder?

It is also clear that Nathan was a liar. He lied to cover up his crimes when he was raping and torturing Eva. He most likely kept lying to all the adults around until he finally got caught. Monica would have known this. She experienced the effect of Nathan’s lies first hand and she also saw what happened as a result of all those lies. So why would she believe an even more seasoned criminal now? If anything, Nathan has had all these years to perfect the art of lying and committing heinous crimes without getting caught.

Of all people I think that Dr. Peterson would absolutely agree that drastic measures would need to be taken in order to protect Eva. Nathan had proven himself over and over again, that he was dangerous and was capable of escalating his crimes to murder. I don’t think that Dr. Peterson would have been in favour of keeping Eva in the dark. If anything, I think he would have blown his stack if he found about Monica’s stunt. What do you think?

Hi Mrs. CrossXxXxX,

How would the theory of Elizabeth Vidal having an affair with Dr. Lucas play out? Why would Elizabeth Vidal want to have an affair? What would her motive be? Dr. Lucas wouldn’t have been wealthy so she couldn’t have done it for the money. What’s your theory? :)

Remember when Eva asked Gideon at the estate who the two guys handing him the keys were? He said his security detail scrambled when he took off so fast for Eva. I think fom Day 1 Gideon had Eva trailed because of his position in the business world and his craze for her. I think he discovered Eva was being stalked and lured Nathan indirectly with the publicity antics. Of course it ended up worse than he bargained for. Anyway, Gideon admitted he saw pics of Eva. I'm sure it brought Gideon pain in more ways than one: from his rapes AND seeing his love being. I'm sticking with him piercing Nathan's heart in one fierce blow. I don't think he would risk scheming with others. AND it's personal.

AND I DO think that Gideon and Stanton are keeping a lot from their ladies.

Hi MicheleWV,

OHHHH, that’s a good theory! I like the idea that Gideon may have known about Eva’s past before she told him. What I wonder is how does that theory account for the way Gideon reacted when Eva told him about her past? When she told him that she had been raped repeatedly, Gideon suddenly snapped the wine glass stem with his hand (a shocked and quiet but violent reaction to the news). If Gideon already knew about Eva’s past, then why would he have such a startled, sudden reaction? He already would have known about the details of Eva’s rape, unsealing the records would have revealed everything…right?

To me Gideon’s reaction would have indicated that Eva blind-sided him with her admission and that he had no idea about her past. What do you think? What does everyone think?

You mentioned that Gideon admitted seeing photos of Eva, but the real question is did Gideon only see the photos Nathan had shown him or during his “personal investigation†did Gideon uncover other photographic evidence of Eva’s rape? I suspect that the only photos Gideon saw were the ones Nathan showed him. I think that is what enraged him and then forced the fight in his office. I think he lost his cool and snapped when he saw the photos but somehow managed to recompose himself and ended the fight with one clean blow to Nathan’s face. What do you think? What does everyone think?

I guess the biggest question is; if Gideon didn’t kill Nathan, then what is his deep dark secret? What is Gideon so afraid of? Does anyone have any theories, suggestions?

Im wondering where Dr. Lucas fits in since he seems too young to have been Gideons pediatrician. He also told Eva that he wasn't his patient.

Hi Mrs. CrossXxXxX,

Thus far everyone seems to think that Dr. Lucas may have been the grad student that abused Gideon. I am not sure where he fits in exactly either. From my point of view, Sylvia hasn’t written enough about Dr. Lucas for me to definitively speculate one way or another. What we know for sure is that Gideon had an affair with Dr. Lucas’s wife and that Gideon stated that Dr. Lucas alienated him from his family. The rest has been speculation. :)

re: Dr Lucas .... I believe Sylvia stated early on this topic that he was Not the abuser.  

And everyone pretty much agrees that after Eve's office visit,  he was one on the DR that Vidals consulted to examine Gideon and as we all know 'found no evidence of abuse' per Elizabeth. 

The affair with Ann Lucas was just payback, even Gideon admits this in the bath tub confession at the beach.

I agree Gideon didn't know about Nathan until Eva told him. Remember, all those records were sealed originally, and then years later, Stanton went back and tightened the secrecy even further. He paid people involved money in exchange for them signing non-disclosure agreements. Meaning that if they later violated those agreements they were paid for, Stanton could seriously sue their butts in civil court on top of any other civil or even criminal legal consequences they'd face (for example, a doctor revealing patient info.)

In essence, Stanton quite legally bribed all of those folks to keep quiet. Probably paid them pretty handsomely too in return for signing a piece of paper. Trust me, they'd keep their mouths shut. Stanton may not be the gazillionaire Gideon is, but Stanton is a very wealthy man in his own right, and has the power of money, something he's all too willing to use in order to make Monica happy. And what he was doing was on behalf of the mother of a child rape victim. I'm sure the folks gladly signed those papers and took the payment for doing so, knowing they were helping to shield a victim.

Gideon had been doing some digging into Eva's past. He may or may not have known about Brett and Eva prior to the post-concert kissing incident. His friend, Arnoldo, thinks Gideon would have none (a remark he made in the limo right after Shawna made the connection that Eva was the woman in the song Golden.)

I would say Eva and Cary were encouraged to NYC so Stanton and Monica could watch over them fresh out of college. And the fact that Victor knows nothing. It's evident because of 'emphasis' on the expensive secure apartment building and how Eva feels responsible for her mom's guilt. Plus Stanton and Monica adore Cary. As a parent, it would be comforting to have him around to look out for her (I'm speaking from experience.) we want to think that the court system works and that Nathan would stay away. That's probably why Monica was stunned to see Nathan that day in front of the Crossfire. But when someone is sick, they'll find a way.

I think this next book will be more about Gideon opening up and less on the murder.

I def don't think Gideon knew about her past before she told him. No way...everything was sealed pretty tightly...not that he couldn't find out if he wanted to...but he had no reason to dig that far in the begining...he probably just look up basic info on her.

I wonder if Gideon had planned on taking Eva back to his apartment after the gym that first time. They were boyfriend/girlfriend. Eva had been the one to suggest finding a place nearby so they can go at it while still dripping w/ sweat...lol..

I really hope to see more of Victor in EWY...i think he's great.

Hmm...could Elizabeth have had an affair w/ Dr. Lucas? how would that have alienated Gideon from the fam? Maybe he found out and it caused a rift between them? Idk....

Ughhh..this is so frustrating! Just want to read the darn book. I've said this before, but I really hope that if there is a fourth book, it comes out really quick! lol

I'm not even going to read her two new books she's just posted , not until they are both out. Escpecially since she said they are along the lines of the Crossfire series...