Reflected in You **spoiler thread**

Sylvia Day

Mrs. Crossfire: I am readng the quote on your avatar and wondering when Gideon says: "......give up everything I own for you....." Will Gideon have to give up everything he own to be with Eva?He has already killed for her...

I don't think they are going to end up at that point..! But if they did Eva has a pretty penny that they could live off.! I think she would use it in the case that Gideon killed Nathan for her and he gave up or lost everything..!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Victor had known while he was in New York that his daughter had been systematically raped for four years as a child right under Monica's nose, no way would he have been so sweet and starry-eyed with Monica when he ran into her at Eva's apartment. No way. Besides, Victor arrived at LaGuardia Airport very early the next morning after Nathan's murder. Victor's got an alibi -- and the investigation was still in its earliest stages during the weekend Victor was there. No way would the cops have spoken to Victor yet, not when they were still working their way down the suspect list (at that point, the sole person they had definitely crossed off was Eva herself.)I do think the timing of Victor's visit ended up being fate, because he ended up being right there when the homicide detectives first approached Eva and Gideon at Eva's apartment. He saw Eva do something that immediately excluded her as a suspect (her honest reaction she had no idea Nathan had been in New York.) And he also saw Gideon was hiding things from Eva: 1. Gideon had known about Nathan being in New York.  2. Gideon didn't want Eva to know where he'd been on Thursday. Overnight by using the Internet, Victor already figured out the second secret - behind Eva's back on Thursday night, Gideon had been partying with the ex-fiancee that the tabloids claimed Gideon had suddenly started seeing again a few days before.My theory -- I'm certain that since then (in the couple of weeks that passed after Nathan died, up to the end of Reflected), Victor has been digging hard in the background from out in California. He's figured out Eva had no role in Nathan's death. He's likely already put together the fact Barker had been Monica's first husband (and thus Victor could figure out how long Nathan had been Eva's stepbrother starting when she was a little girl up to her early teens.) However, he's probably been stymied thus far to get the whole story out of the detectives about Nathan having been in New York, what that had to do with Gideon, and most importantly -- have the cops come close yet to solving the case. I'll bet he'll have gotten no straight answers (yet) out of Graves and her partner. Gideon wouldn't have even returned any phone calls Victor tried making. I'll bet Victor has even begun trying to reach Monica by now, but Monica won't return his calls either.Under my theory that Detective Graves is trying to use Eva to trap Gideon, I think Graves is going to start selectively feeding Victor info early in the Entwined story in the hopes that he will persuade Eva to cooperate with the police. For all we know, right after Graves finished talking to Eva at Krav Maga at the very end of Reflected, Graves picked up the phone to call Victor the instant Eva went running straight to Gideon's apartment. Graves has begun grasping at straws, and she'll try anything that might help her get Gideon. Including calling in Eva's father.

The only thing about this is, If detective Graves told Victor what was going on, and assuming he had know idea what Nathan did to Eva, I really really doubt Victor at that point would talk Eva into turning on Gideon..! He (Gideon) killed the man that unbeknownst to him repeatedly raped his daughter (his only child) for four years.! I think Victor would join the Gideon club on this one..!

I really think that this book is going to focus on Gideon's abuse in his past. I don't see a lot of time being spent on Nathan. I also don't think he is going to face any sort of money problems. I think we are going to get to see many other sides to Gideon, and I can't wait!!!

I really don't think the detective is tricking Eva. So she told Eva her theory and to go back to Gideon. She didn't ask Eva any questions about what she knew to incriminate Gideon. We are seeing in the Snippets that Gideon and Eva are sneaking around, but I'm not getting why unless Gideon is trying to throw the detectives off, wanting them to doubt themselves... throwing them off beyond a doubt. Or maybe he did something else we don't know yet. We'll see.

I think the first book is about Eva 'running' and Gideon 'chasing.'

The second about learning to trust each other.

And I think the last will focus on Eva understanding Gideon's sacrifice for her and him facing his demons because of their love. We'll learn his past.

Hi ShazScott1980,

I hope that Victor has a more significant role in the next book, but I really hope that Victor didn’t know about Eva’s abuse all these years. As a human being I would seriously end up disliking Victor in the worst way.

I have a hard time believing that Victor would have been ok with Monica’s explanation that she had no idea that her daughter, who was living under her roof, was being raped. We are not talking about a single mother that couldn’t be at home, who was holding down several jobs to try and make ends meet (so that she could keep a roof over her daughter’s head and food in her stomach). Monica was/is a socialite who would have had no other job than to look after her daughter and please her husband. If Monica’s actions (or lack thereof) were any indication, pleasing her husband wound up being her only priority.

Once a person chooses to become a parent, they are supposed to shift focus from themselves to their child. In this case Monica didn’t do that. Wouldn’t Victor wonder who was tucking this little girl in every night? Wouldn’t he wonder if Monica was paying attention to her daughter when they sat around the dinner table? Why didn’t Monica notice a change in Eva’s behaviour? I would think that as a cop, Victor would have seen the horrors of abuse and I am not so sure that he would have been able to give Monica a complete pass without any judgment what so ever. It wouldn’t make sense to me if he did.

On the other hand it could be argued that Victor loves Monica so much that he forgave her for her neglect. It would just be difficult for me to believe. It would also open up a whole host of questions for me. Why did Victor choose this weekend to kill Nathan? How did Victor make it to New York undetected, kill Nathan and then back to San Diego only to come back to visit his daughter? How would he account for his time in travel and wouldn’t that set off huge alarm bells from a cops’ perspective? What would Victor’s alibi be? I can’t see Victor committing a crime without having some kind of alibi in mind before hand.

Personally I can see Victor helping to cover Nathan’s murder, but I can’t see him committing the murder himself without a whole host of other criteria being in place first. If that was the case, this storyline would wind up being very cluttered and difficult to follow. I am not sure how Sylvia would go about tying all of the loose ends together. What do you think?

Hi LNCronan,

I find your Detective Graves feeding Eva’s dad information slowly intriguing. I still don’t think that Victor would be receptive in the least or helpful with Detective Graves. There is an old saying “Don’t shoot the messenger†but somehow whatever detective Graves intentions may have been, I don’t think that she would get anywhere with that approach.

I also think that if push came to shove and the good detective spilled the beans, Eva would eventually find out. Faced with absolutely no other options, I could see Eva then going to her dad and telling him about everything including that little conversation the good detective had with her in the Krav Maga Studio. At that point it would be game over.

Maybe it is true the cops truly have dropped the case, but until they're 100% certain that's true, Gideon and Eva are going to need to be safe by him continuing to cover his tail (he never loved Eva and thus had no motive to kill to protect her.)

I just don't see that happening though -- that'd be far too easy and convenient. But I do see Gideon "walking" on this case, walking off into the sunset, hand in hand with Eva. The cops will go too far and so any evidence they do get would be inadmissible. The case will get officially dropped, by the prosecution, because they can't take it to trial. Maybe they can't even take it to the point of arresting him.

Hopefully, that'll be early in Entwined that the Gideon and Eva don't have to hide anymore.

For more than a decade, Monica has successfully buried deep the secret Eva was raped for four years right under her nose. Even Eva herself has kept that secret hidden deep. The only people who know from Eva know it because they needed to know -- Cary, because he was part of the group therapy that changed her life for the better, and Gideon because Eva feared the secret might come out eventually.

I firmly believe Victor does not yet know (as Reflected ended). But because of Nathan's murder, he's going to find out any day now. All h*** will break loose when he learns Nathan was a rapist. He'll never look at Monica all starry-eyed ever again. Even if a part of him never stops loving her, the father in him will never forgive her for allowing someone he loves even more, his only daughter, to be victimized so brutally as a child the damage won't ever be able to completely be undone.

And soon he'll find out Eva's very life was put in danger recently because Monica still insisted on keeping Nathan a deep, dark secret she's still deeply ashamed of. She ought to have called the cops when Nathan showed up in New York and tried to blackmail her and her latest rich husband -- blackmail them with sexually explicit photos and video whose mere existence could send Nathan to prison for decades. What he had was child p*** of Eva. Even though he had been just a teen-ager when he made it, as a full-fledged adult now, he had possession of it, and he was trying to "sell" it for a $2.5 million payoff.

Instead, Monica and her latest rich husband strung Nathan along in order to continue to keep the secret. During that time, Nathan stalked Eva. He wasn't just after money -- he was after Eva herself. Nathan was crazy -- and he had begun to escalate out of control. He beat up Eva's roommate/best friend so badly the guy could have died. Even the cops recognized sooner or later, he would have killed Eva.

Victor is going to be even angrier for Monica failing to protect their daughter as a grown woman too, not just as a little girl.

Hi LNCronan,

I find your Detective Graves feeding Eva’s dad information slowly intriguing. I still don’t think that Victor would be receptive in the least or helpful with Detective Graves. There is an old saying “Don’t shoot the messenger†but somehow whatever detective Graves intentions may have been, I don’t think that she would get anywhere with that approach.

I also think that if push came to shove and the good detective spilled the beans, Eva would eventually find out. Faced with absolutely no other options, I could see Eva then going to her dad and telling him about everything including that little conversation the good detective had with her in the Krav Maga Studio. At that point it would be game over.

I could see Graves selectively telling Victor only enough to fool him into thinking Gideon's motive for killing Nathan was the blackmail -- Mr. Celebrity Billionaire didn't want his image sullied in the tabloids by salacious stories that out there are sexually explicit photos of a socialite he had been dating. It would be an embarrassment to him. And instead of paying money Gideon could easily afford to make the problem go away, Gideon resorted to pre-meditated murder.

I can see Graves keeping from Victor the real truth that Eva's life was in danger and Gideon loved Eva so much he killed to save her life. Remember -- unless and until they arrest Gideon, what the cops have squirreled away in their case file is hidden. They and they alone know the supposed whole picture, and a lot of people (including Eva herself) have been keeping secrets from Victor.

So with just a little spin, let Victor know about the blackmail. Tell him they believe Gideon kicked Eva to the curb because of it and made "dead" certain no one would ever find out about those pictures. Victor has seen evidence of the lie Gideon never loved Eva, so initially he might buy it. The tension between Eva and Gideon at dinner on Friday night. The fact Gideon tried to hide from Eva, when the cops asked him right in front of both Eva and Victor himself, where he'd been one night before (Thursday.) The "proof" Victor easily found on the Internet that Gideon had just started seeing his former fiancee again, right behind Eva's back.

Bottom line: Gideon is a ruthless S of a B who thinks only of himself. He's a stone-cold killer, and Victor needs to help the cops put him away.

I think Graves is betting Eva will continue to keep secrets from her father instead of opening up and telling Victor the whole truth. Graves saw with her own eyes that Eva immediately lied to Dad by saying Nathan was just a "bully." And obviously in the weeks since then, Eva has kept her mouth shut. Eva has never been honest with Dad about Nathan in the past, and thus far she can't in the present, so why should Eva change even after Dad finds out some things about Nathan.

Graves is desperate and is now taking chances, including trying to use Eva against Gideon. I can see Graves trying to use Victor against Gideon too.

You are not. I have said he didnt do it from the onset. I feel like I have exhausted myself saying this but frankly there isnt any more need for talks about N----N...I dont even want to say his name. He was not an essential character and the focus of the book should not be about his murder. It is unwarranted.

Gideon either did it or had a huge hand in it. If he didn't why would he need to have space from Eva? Why make the world think he broke up with her and has gotten back together with Corrine? The only person who has suffered from that is Eva. I don't believe that Gideon would have done all of that for no reason.

Please tell me there's more than a handful of you than believe Gideon is not a murderer!!! I love his character but I'm not sure how I'd feel if he did it. They have already been through enough with all the abuse.

I'm OK with the fact he did it to save Eva's life from a maniac who would have kidnapped her, raped her again and then brutally murdered her, and probably dumped her body where it would never be found.

But I wish Gideon hadn't taken the law into his own hands.

I wish he, Monica and Stanton had all gone to the cops and had Nathan sent to prison for decades for possession of child p*** (the pictures and video), multiple counts of attempting to "sell" that material to them, and multiple counts of attempted extortion. Definitely, they ought to have gone to the cops when things escalated to stalking and assault and battery with a dangerous weapon.

Who knows what Gideon had been planning prior to the attack on Cary that could have killed him. Maybe he had already been working on something that ultimately would have sent Nathan away. But as soon as Gideon realized Eva was in terrible danger, he hastily threw together a plan to make sure Nathan could never, ever pose a threat to her again. Four days later, Nathan was dead.

Enough about Nathan's murder. I don't think its warranted. I respect everyone's opinions, but like I said countless times there are much larger issue for these characters to deal with than Nathan. There is a reason why he was killed off so abruptly. He isn't relevant.

The large focus should be on Gideon abuse, his character development, his relationship with Eva, his sister who hero worships him and his half brother who purportedly despises him.

Whatever happen with Nathan should be wrapped up in 3 sentences and be done with or even a few paragraps. Lol

I really don't want to direct efforts to reading that much about Nathan in RIY as he isn't essential.

I can't help but hate Monica for wanting to keep Evas abuse a seacret. They gave Nathan the opportunity to go and to the same to others. I hope it was Monica the one who did it.

Eva's Dad, Victor, is probably going to end up hating Monica before this is all over. Hate her for Eva's life having been in danger because Monica still tried to resort to using money in order to keep secret the fact her own daughter was raped for four years as a child right under Monica's nose. That once again, Monica decided to make the Nathan problem go away by having a rich husband shell out millions of dollars.

If it is true that Gideon was the one who finally put an end to Nathan, Victor probably is going to end up shaking Gideon's hand. Or even better, give Gideon Eva's hand in marriage.

Please tell me there's more than a handful of you than believe Gideon is not a murderer!!! I love his character but I'm not sure how I'd feel if he did it. They have already been through enough with all the abuse.

Hi Mrs. CrosXxXxX,

I don't believe that Gideon killed Nathan. I think that someone else beat him to the punch. I think that either "Camp Monica, Stanton, or Clancy" did it. I think that maybe Gideon came after, found the situation and helped clean up the scene. I could see that type of scenario happening.

Or I could see Gideon arriving well after the murder had been committed. He takes a look around (looking for the video tapes or photos that Nathan was using for blackmail), he can't find them so he leaves. These are all possible.

I guess we will have to wait until June 4th to see who's theory is most accurate. Until then, we are debating, baking and biting our nails all in anticipation. :)

Enough about Nathan's murder. I don't think its warranted. I respect everyone's opinions, but like I said countless times there are much larger issue for these characters to deal with than Nathan. There is a reason why he was killed off so abruptly. He isn't relevant.

The large focus should be on Gideon abuse, his character development, his relationship with Eva, his sister who hero worships him and his half brother who purportedly despises him.

Whatever happen with Nathan should be wrapped up in 3 sentences and be done with or even a few paragraps. Lol

I really don't want to direct efforts to reading that much about Nathan in RIY as he isn't essential.

Hi KiMa,

I think that Nathan’s murder is important in that what he did to Eva shaped her character. It also forever affected after how Monica and Eva will relate to one another. They are no longer just mother and daughter, they are now co-conspirators. They have this really ugly secret between them that they will have to carry around with them for the rest of their lives. Overall it is a really sad situation.

I don’t think that this situation is just going to be wrapped up in one or two sentences. Both Eva and her mom have serious issues. Eva’s lack of trust in men (her “running†and unwillingness to stay in a relationship when things become tense or difficult), and Monica’s guilt over the fact that she didn’t protect her daughter during the four years she was brutally and repeatedly raped and tortured may last a lifetime.

Eva never really dealt with her mother and how the Nathan issue affected the both of them. Eva’s relationship with her mother has been based on guilt ever since and surely that has to be addressed somewhere in the next book. I can’t see how Eva could slay all of the issues from her past without addressing these issues.

Although thinking about Nathan and what he did to Eva may be uncomfortable, dealing with issues may help to create character dialogue and eventual conflict resolution (which would mean more books in the series for the fan to read). :)

Hi KiMa,

I revived the Gideon's family thread, which had been quiet lately. Folks can head over there to talk all about Gideon's mother Elizabeth, stepfather Christopher Sr., stepbrother Christopher Jr. and Dr. Lucas. All of them are tied somehow to Gideon's dark past that we're going to be learning about in Entwined. And just before Reflected ended, Eva had very serious fights with Elizabeth and Lucas. Plus she took Christopher Jr. to lunch and he's taken that as a sign he can get Eva to go out with him. We can have all sorts of fun talking about them -- and they're totally separate from the whole murder case.

I could see Graves selectively telling Victor only enough to fool him into thinking Gideon's motive for killing Nathan was the blackmail -- Mr. Celebrity Billionaire didn't want his image sullied in the tabloids by salacious stories that out there are sexually explicit photos of a socialite he had been dating. It would be an embarrassment to him. And instead of paying money Gideon could easily afford to make the problem go away, Gideon resorted to pre-meditated murder.

I can see Graves keeping from Victor the real truth that Eva's life was in danger and Gideon loved Eva so much he killed to save her life. Remember -- unless and until they arrest Gideon, what the cops have squirreled away in their case file is hidden. They and they alone know the supposed whole picture, and a lot of people (including Eva herself) have been keeping secrets from Victor.

So with just a little spin, let Victor know about the blackmail. Tell him they believe Gideon kicked Eva to the curb because of it and made "dead" certain no one would ever find out about those pictures. Victor has seen evidence of the lie Gideon never loved Eva, so initially he might buy it. The tension between Eva and Gideon at dinner on Friday night. The fact Gideon tried to hide from Eva, when the cops asked him right in front of both Eva and Victor himself, where he'd been one night before (Thursday.) The "proof" Victor easily found on the Internet that Gideon had just started seeing his former fiancee again, right behind Eva's back.

Bottom line: Gideon is a ruthless S of a B who thinks only of himself. He's a stone-cold killer, and Victor needs to help the cops put him away.

I think Graves is betting Eva will continue to keep secrets from her father instead of opening up and telling Victor the whole truth. Graves saw with her own eyes that Eva immediately lied to Dad by saying Nathan was just a "bully." And obviously in the weeks since then, Eva has kept her mouth shut. Eva has never been honest with Dad about Nathan in the past, and thus far she can't in the present, so why should Eva change even after Dad finds out some things about Nathan.

Graves is desperate and is now taking chances, including trying to use Eva against Gideon. I can see Graves trying to use Victor against Gideon too.

Hi LNCronan,

I read your posting and I think that Victor still wouldn’t cooperate with Detective Graves. The type of scenario you present might be possible if Victor was friends with the detective. Cop or no cop, Victor doesn’t know this woman, doesn’t work with this woman and really doesn’t have anything in common with this woman, other than the fact that she is trying impart some kind of seriously horrible information his way, without any way for him to verify it.

Let’s remember that Victor is a “seasoned†cop. He has seen it all! Cops are always the first ones on a crime scene, securing the location and preserving the evidence etc. So it would stand to reason that Victor has seen rapes, murders, robberies, etc. and as such would also have dealt with all sorts of detectives, including homicide detectives. I am absolutely sure that Victor would have been “wise†to the ways of homicide detectives!

I also don’t see Victor buying everything the good detective is selling hook, line and sinker. I couldn’t honestly see Victor not investigating things on his own (getting his own people on the case, people he can trust to give him open and honest answers).

The scenario that you presented of; Gideon killing Nathan to avoid some type of media “scandal†just isn’t plausible from my perspective. Some of the wealthiest men in the world have dated p*** stars, been involved in sexual scandals and such and not one of them killed the men who were blackmailing them. In the end all of these individuals reached an agreement, put the videos on sale, made a huge profit and then went on with their lives! Assuming that Gideon would kill someone because he was being blackmailed is not in the realm of possibility in my eyes. It wasn’t Gideon in the video. He wasn’t participating in any way and therefore wouldn’t stand to gain anything by killing the blackmailer.

If the blackmail evidence was released what is the worst that could happen? The video comes out and then? Would Gideon lose business associates because a woman he once dated was brutally raped?! People would start ostracizing him and his business because of this information?! I seriously doubt it! If anything both Gideon and Eva would garner mass sympathy all across the board. I think that everyone would rally around them including; their families, the charities they have supported all these years, people they have known socially and personally, and more importantly they would have received great support from the general public. As such, there would be no reason for Gideon to kill Nathan. What do you think?

Eva's Dad, Victor, is probably going to end up hating Monica before this is all over. Hate her for Eva's life having been in danger because Monica still tried to resort to using money in order to keep secret the fact her own daughter was raped for four years as a child right under Monica's nose. That once again, Monica decided to make the Nathan problem go away by having a rich husband shell out millions of dollars.

If it is true that Gideon was the one who finally put an end to Nathan, Victor probably is going to end up shaking Gideon's hand. Or even better, give Gideon Eva's hand in marriage.

Hi LNCronan,

I have to agree with you on this point. Ooh la la, it is a miracle! :) Just kidding! :) I seriously don’t see Victor welcoming Monica into his loving arms when he finds out just how grossly neglectful Monica was during those four years! If anything I think it would light a fuse under him!

I could just picture the fireworks between Victor and Monica when he confronts her over this issue. It would make sense that somewhere along the lines Victor would find out about Eva’s abuse. Yes, yes you and I disagree about how that might happen, but when it does; it could make for some really juicy dialogue!!! :)