The New Entwined Clues Sylvia Is Posting

LN Cronan

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like many novelists, Sylvia provides a character's physical description when that character first enters the story. It's part of the protagonist (here, Eva) formulating her first impression of people she is meeting for the first time. It's also frequently used for the reader's benefit to help us visualize a character the protagonist already knows well (for example, Cary, Monica, Victor.)

For a physical description of every person Eva meets for the first time, from Gideon to the homicide detectives, go to the part of the story where each character first enters.

The physical descriptions of people Eva already knows well (Cary, her parents, Brett) go to the chapters where those characters first crop up. For example, our description of Cary is in Chapter One of Bared, because that's the first chapter in which he appears.

LN Cronan

In RIY page 297 last paragraph is a description of Elizabeth. Gideons mother was a beautiful woman, with long straight black hair and the same amazing eyes as her son and Ireland. Corrine is. Mummy lookalike.

Good catch, Julie! 

Veddy, veddy clever on Sylvia's part, not mentioning Mummy has long hair when we first meet Mummy as a character at the garden party about two thirds of the way in to Bared. Because it's not until Entwined that we're going to learn the details of Gideon's dark past and in all likelihood learn about his Mommy issues (as Gideon himself starts, with Eva's love and maybe Dr. Petersen's help) start to sort things out in his head.

Until then, we'd been set up to think the brunette thing is a Corrine issue. Because Bared had been leading up to the sudden surprise of Corrine's existence. Eva seizes on the fact Corrine is a brunette and Gideon has dated only brunettes as proof positive Corrine still has a physical hold over Gideon. However, that's Eva's insecurities talking.

In truth, Gideon is clueless about the whole brunette issue. In fact, he was even clueless about the long hair issue too (Eva was the one who -- duh -- explained the reason behind Magdalene's hairstyle makeover.)

LN Cronan

Not sure I'm on right path. I know where I'm going, but can't quite articulate it.

I get where you're trying to go, Julie -- the brunette hang-up is a strong surface sign of much deeper things tied to Gideon's issues about women.

We just don't know how deep it is yet. Mostly because we know so little about Gideon's deeper issues, period. Because Gideon's biggest issue of all is his shutting down, shutting the world out, and living much of his life in a rigid shell of protection.

We do know that Entwined is going to break open that shell, which already has been cracking.

Because the brunette thing has come up over and over and over again, I'm certain we're going to find the real root -- is it actually Corrine (like Eva suspects) or does it go even deeper, into issues related to Gideon being betrayed by his mother.

LN Cronan

Do you think because of his mummy issues, Gideon is punishing brunettes somehow. Not physically, but emotionally, because he felt unloved and had trust issues?

If it weren't for his history with Corrine, I would say, "yes" -- that Gideon symbolically punishes the mother he has shut out of his life emotionally by shutting out the women he dates, all of whom at least superficially share some surface characteristics with his mother: beautiful socialites, every one of them brunette.

Elizabeth wants back Gideon's love, which she lost because of a devastating sexual matter: she failed to protect him from being raped by a man when he (Gideon) was on the threshold between child and young teenager. Her reaction was to allow other people to persuade her Gideon was a disturbed little liar.

Gideon no longer loves his mother. And Gideon refuses to give love to the women he dates -- refuses to be physically and emotionally intimate with them. At best, he will be friends with some of them (Magdalene being the example.) Meanwhile, he also refuses to give emotional intimacy or even friendship to the women he f****  He engages in short-term physical relationships and then ditches them.

Only twice has Gideon engaged in full-fledged serious romantic relationships: Corrine and Eva, both of whom got inside his emotional shell via sex. Gideon cared deeply about Corrine, though he was never "in love" with her in the true sense of the word. Their relationship had been all about sex on his side. But then Eva rocked Gideon's world in many ways, especially sexually -- their's is an intensely physical as well as emotional bond.

LN Cronan

I seriously think its his mothers betrayal that has us linking it to the brunette fetish. Fathers suicide, abuse and rape, no wonder the poor chap is screwed up.

Mummy is the problem. But it's just not her believing him, I think she has a penchant for young men. Hope I'm wrong. Nasty!

I know this is out there but since you mentioned a penchant for young men... Could Elizabeth possibly have been having an affair with Dr. Terry Lucas at the time and that is why he lied for her??

Elizabeth was pregnant with Ireland at the time and having a rough pregnancy, so I don't think so. However, an affair soon after was possible, I suppose, especially if Lucas is a pretty evil guy.

Around the time Gideon was abused, Lucas was in his late 20s and was already married to Anne. He would have been fresh out of medical school. We don't know how old Elizabeth was at the time, but I'm going to estimate mid-to-late 30s. Her first child (Gideon) already was around age 11. Her second (Christopher Jr.) was around 5, and Ireland was a newborn. We have no idea how much older than Elizabeth her second husband, Christopher Vidal Sr., is.

Of the various ways Gideon, as a grown man, could have effed with Dr. Lucas, the route Gideon choose was to undermine the guy's marriage by sleeping with Anne Lucas. He didn't end up destroying the marriage entirely (a Google search revealed his current marital status as long-time married.) But he ended up breaking Anne's heart. For all we know, Anne is still pining for Gideon and Lucas is staying with his wife to spite Gideon. Talk about cutting off his own nose though.

Elizabeth was pregnant with Ireland at the time and having a rough pregnancy, so I don't think so. However, an affair soon after was possible, I suppose, especially if Lucas is a pretty evil guy.

Around the time Gideon was abused, Lucas was in his late 20s and was already married to Anne. He would have been fresh out of medical school. We don't know how old Elizabeth was at the time, but I'm going to estimate mid-to-late 30s. Her first child (Gideon) already was around age 11. Her second (Christopher Jr.) was around 5, and Ireland was a newborn. We have no idea how much older than Elizabeth her second husband, Christopher Vidal Sr., is.

Of the various ways Gideon, as a grown man, could have effed with Dr. Lucas, the route Gideon choose was to undermine the guy's marriage by sleeping with Anne Lucas. He didn't end up destroying the marriage entirely (a Google search revealed his current marital status as long-time married.) But he ended up breaking Anne's heart. For all we know, Anne is still pining for Gideon and Lucas is staying with his wife to spite Gideon. Talk about cutting off his own nose though.

Which leads me again LN to the question did SD ever confirm that the red haired woman who spoke to Eva briefly at the Advocacy dinner was Ann Lucas? If so she is still pining for Gideon and apparently runs into him quite a bit at these functions...

You ladies are cracking me up here. Shame were thousands of miles apart. Bet we could have a ###### good evening sat round a table with Sylvia.

Was thinking were thousand of miles apart but what about we arrange a time that as many as possible were on line together on 3 June discuss what we hope to find out in EWY

And the again on 5th after we've read EWY

Although some of us speed readers will have finished it before 4th has finished !

Anyone up for the idea ?

Was thinking were thousand of miles apart but what about we arrange a time that as many as possible were on line together on 3 June discuss what we hope to find out in EWY

And the again on 5th after we've read EWY

Although some of us speed readers will have finished it before 4th has finished !

Anyone up for the idea ?

Count me in. Be burning that midnight oil again. Lol

Which leads me again LN to the question did SD ever confirm that the red haired woman who spoke to Eva briefly at the Advocacy dinner was Ann Lucas? If so she is still pining for Gideon and apparently runs into him quite a bit at these functions...

As far as I know she didn't confirm but I do believe that was her.

You ladies are cracking me up here. Shame were thousands of miles apart. Bet we could have a ###### good evening sat round a table with Sylvia.

I'll bring the baked goods and come June 4th I may be eating a little crow too...:)  Theories, theories, all those pesky theories...:) 

LN Cronan

In RIY page 297 last paragraph is a description of Elizabeth. Gideons mother was a beautiful woman, with long straight black hair and the same amazing eyes as her son and Ireland. Corrine is. Mummy lookalike.

Hi Julie54,

I agree with you about Elizabeth's colouring.  I have been saying it from the beginning.  What I still don't get is what does that have to do with brunettes?  I could see Gideon subconsciously punishing Corinne because she looks like his mother, but the rest of it doesn't make sense.  I am starting to think that the whole hair colour thing (brunettes) is all just a distraction.  What do you think?  What does everyone think?

We don't know, but my gut says yes. Because if it is true that Anne Lucas expressed keen interest in Eva the first time Gideon took Eva out in public as a date, it makes sense why at the next big social affair that Gideon and Eva attended, the fundraiser at the Waldorf a couple of weeks later, Dr. Lucas swooped in on Eva.

Lucas took full advantage of the fact it was plain to everyone in the vicinity Gideon wasn't even paying attention to a miserable Eva -- Eva was being ignored while Corrine got all of Gideon's attention. While Gideon was distracted, Lucas kept Eva company at the dinner table and even persuaded her to go have a drink with him. Eva attempting to leave the table to do just that is what finally drew Gideon's attention back to Eva.

This was Lucas' first attempt at poisoning Eva's heart and mind against Gideon. Lucas did succeed in planting some seeds by playing into Eva's insecurities about Gideon being almost completely 100% focused on Corrine at that moment. Lucas pointed out truthfully that Gideon had been too wrapped up in talking with Corrine to even notice what Eva was doing. Then Eva told Gideon that Lucas was right. Thus began the argument that led to Eva walking out of the dinner, pulling one of her runners. So Lucas did win that night in that he sparked the one thing that absolutely terrifies Gideon inside -- Eva pulling away from him. In fact, for the first and only time, Eva safe-worded Gideon in order to make Gideon let go of her (at the time, Gideon had a firm hold on her hand and was refusing to let her leave the table.)

We don't know, but my gut says yes. Because if it is true that Anne Lucas expressed keen interest in Eva the first time Gideon took Eva out in public as a date, it makes sense why at the next big social affair that Gideon and Eva attended, the fundraiser at the Waldorf a couple of weeks later, Dr. Lucas swooped in on Eva.

Lucas took full advantage of the fact it was plain to everyone in the vicinity Gideon wasn't even paying attention to a miserable Eva -- Eva was being ignored while Corrine got all of Gideon's attention. While Gideon was distracted, Lucas kept Eva company at the dinner table and even persuaded her to go have a drink with him. Eva attempting to leave the table to do just that is what finally drew Gideon's attention back to Eva.

This was Lucas' first attempt at poisoning Eva's heart and mind against Gideon. Lucas did succeed in planting some seeds by playing into Eva's insecurities about Gideon being almost completely 100% focused on Corrine at that moment. Lucas pointed out truthfully that Gideon had been too wrapped up in talking with Corrine to even notice what Eva was doing. Then Eva told Gideon that Lucas was right. Thus began the argument that led to Eva walking out of the dinner, pulling one of her runners. So Lucas did win that night in that he sparked the one thing that absolutely terrifies Gideon inside -- Eva pulling away from him. In fact, for the first and only time, Eva safe-worded Gideon in order to make Gideon let go of her (at the time, Gideon had a firm hold on her hand and was refusing to let her leave the table.)

I agree with what you say.

Although Gideon had a reason for the way he treated Anne Lucas, what Dr. Lucas was doing, was his version of payback. I'm sure Dr. Lucas will be crawling out from under his stone at some point. I wonder how he would feel if he knew Gideon owned the building where he worked. Paying rent to your enemy!

I just hope Gideon spills the beans in June. That is going to be one heck of a conversation.