Gideon DID kill Nathan -- that's official from Sylvia in a live interview

LN Cronan

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Gigi

How would you have made Nathan disappear.??

Apart from concrete boots!

Hi Julie54, 

I would have to really sit down and really think about this, but just off the top of my head I think I would have strung out the meetings between Nathan, Monica and Stanton.  I would have video taped Nathan's attempts of trying to extort money from these individuals and see if I could have gotten him to make an inadvertent confession on tape.  Then I would drop the hammer on him.

Given the serious nature of the crimes Nathan would be charged with, I don't think that he would be granted bail.  I am also sure that no one would step up to post Nathan's bail either.  So I know that Eva's safety would be assured.  I also know that Nathan would most likely be convicted (especially if he had video taped and photographed himself brutally raping and torturing Eva as a child).  Then he would be facing federal criminal charges as well.  At the end of the day, I don't think that Nathan would be a free man much longer and he probably would be killed in prison when the prisoners find out about what he did.  I think that would have been justice served. 

Hi Gigi

To keep Eva safe would have involved surveillance 24/7. She would have to know about it, otherwise surely she would feel as though she was being watched. That would take away her independence, making her virtually a prisoner.

Hi Julie54,

I think that by not telling Eva what was going on, Gideon, Monica and Stanton all took away Eva's right to decide for herself what she wanted to do.  I also don't think that by having surveillance or security detail around Eva would take away her freedom.  I think if anything Eva would be able to choose what she wanted to do, where she wanted to and how she wanted to handle each and every situation she is faced with.  I think that is part of the process of being an adult.

Each and every single one of us has had different life experiences and as such as adults we base our decisions on how we will proceed with what our experiences have been.  High profile individuals often face these challenges given their professions.  Unfortunately Eva didn't have a choice in  being a victim but she does have a choice in how she handles it.  Am I making sense?  What do you think?  What does everyone think?

Hi Gigi

Two quotes from Eva keep coming back to me.

The first, was at the gym. When on the treadmill she said "she was running away from something, but didn't know what."

Then after Nathan died, she felt " like a weight had been lifted off her shoulders, that she didn't know she had been carrying."

While he was breathing the same air, she couldn't relax. It was as if the only way she could live again, was if he was dead!

It was always the possibility of coming into contact with him, that put fear into her.

That would be a horrible existence.

Hi Gigi

The first, was at the gym. When on the treadmill she said "she was running away from something, but didn't know what."

Then after Nathan died, she felt " like a weight had been lifted off her shoulders, that she didn't know she had been carrying."

While he was breathing the same air, she couldn't relax. It was as if the only way she could live again, was if he was dead!

It was always the possibility of coming into contact with him, that put fear into her.

Hi Julie54,

You are absolutely correct.  It would be a horrible existence for Eva to live.  I just think that Nathan could have been eliminated in another way, without Gideon having to kill him.  Quite frankly if Gideon, Monica and Stanton (had one ounce of faith in the justice system) and had reported Nathan's crimes, then I am absolutely sure that Nathan would have been tried and convicted by the criminal system and in the process would have been killed by another prison inmate who would have found out about his past crimes of being a child rapist.  Prisoners always seem to find out about these things.  Guards or other people who work in the justice system always ending up spilling the beans and justice seems to be dished out in the end.  I am also sure that Gideon, Monica and Stanton could have kept Eva safe during Nathan's arrest, trial and conviction.  So if Eva had to suffer a lack of freedom, it would only have been for a very short while. 

In the end Nathan would have wound up dead, justice would have been served and Eva and Gideon would have had a future without this horrible guilt and shame hanging over them.  The only catch would have been that they both would have required just a little faith (which they didn't have).

Eva never got to choose for herself whether she wanted Nathan to be charged criminally.  Gideon told his mother who didn't believe him (thereby eliminating his choice).  Both these individuals looked to their parents and not the justice system.  I say why not try the justice system.  The system never failed them.  I am basing this theory on what Sylvia has written about this issue.    What do you think?

Hi Gigi

I agree that Eva should have been told what was going on.

But Eva didn't handle the news very well, when she found out that Nathan had been stalking her. Although strong in some ways, she is quite fragile in others.

Hi Julie54,

I completely agree with your position about how she reacted as well.  I think that Gideon, Monica and Stanton all had the opportunity to rally around Eva to offer her support and to help her through this hard time, but each and every single one of them took the easy way out. 

In a way they took away Eva's right to grow stronger through her experiences and through her handling of tough situations.  I don't know how that could ultimately help her in the long run. 

I also agree with you that Eva was probably in shock and didn't react well, but what I don't know is how Eva would have handled future dealings with Nathan through a trial or such.  I think she would have grown.  Gideon's love and Monica and Stanton's support may have done wonders for her.  What do you think?

Hi Gigi

Yes as a victim, Eva lost being in control while being abused. Hence hers and Gideons need for it now. But she is submitting to him? In nearly all things where he s concerned.

Hi Julie54,

Again I agree with you.  What I wonder is what would have happened had Gideon not murdered Nathan (I am waiting to read that with my own two eyes in June).  Wouldn't he and Eva have grown together as people because of this Nathan ordeal?  I think that they would.  What do you think?

Yea, Gideon should have gone to the cops, but i think that he has no faith that the justice system will work. He was horribly damaged as a child. I think that we are going to go through his journey of healing. I don't think that Nathan's murder will come between them. I think ultimately that Eva is relieved and thankful for what Gideon did. I am not going to focus on the murder storyline anymore. At the end of the day this is a romance novel:) 

Hi Jullie54,

I also think that this would have given Eva the opportunity to include her father in the support process.  I don't think that Eva not telling Victor about the abuse is extremely unhealthy.  To me that is a huge "red flag".  What is going on in that relationship that Eva or even Monica did keep Victor in the loop? 

I have heard it said that a person is only as sick as his or her own secrets.  It seems that each and every single one of these individuals has  huge issues. 

Yea, Gideon should have gone to the cops, but i think that he has no faith that the justice system will work. He was horribly damaged as a child. I think that we are going to go through his journey of healing. I don't think that Nathan's murder will come between them. I think ultimately that Eva is relieved and thankful for what Gideon did. I am not going to focus on the murder storyline anymore. At the end of the day this is a romance novel:) 

Hi Jls1216,

If Gideon did in fact kill Nathan, then we as the readers will never know what could have been.  I think that this murder will definately cause problems for Eva and Gideon's relationship.  If it didn't cause problems, then the storyline wouldn't be very realistic. 

Hi Gigi

Perhaps Gideon did think the justice system failed him, because even though he was only a child, what started off as just touching him escalated into rape, after being examined. He probably felt all alone in the world, with no one to confide in, until Angus. Until Eva came along, this man had trust issues with everyone it seemed.

Monica, well you know my verdict on her.

Stanton, would paying Nathan off make him go away? He could have got greedy and come back for more?

Hi Gigi

Perhaps Gideon did think the justice system failed him, because even though he was only a child, what started off as just touching him escalated into rape, after being examined. He probably felt all alone in the world, with no one to confide in, until Angus. Until Eva came along, this man had trust issues with everyone it seemed.

Monica, well you know my verdict on her.

Stanton, would paying Nathan off make him go away? He could have got greedy and come back for more?

Hi Julie54,

I agree with all points but I just wanted to clarify that Gideon, Monica and Stanton would have all worked together to put Nathan in jail.  There is no way that I would ever suggest that Stanton payoff Nathan's blackmail.  I think that if all three of those individuals worked together to get Nathan to "hang himself" criminally, then they would have been unstoppable. 

I don't know, it is just a different option.  I think I lean more towards convicting Nathan criminally because as a human being I wouldn't have the guts to "flip the switch" or "pull the trigger" as they say. :)

Hi Gigi

We are doing a lot of agreeing tonight. Lol great minds think like.

Wht I can't understand is, if Eva went to stay with her dad during her childhood, between the ages of 10 and 14, why didn't he pick up on her behaviour? Surely she would have shown some symptoms of abuse ie withdrawn tendencies, not that I know a lot about this subject.

Hi Gigi

Eva has also know Nathan was following her and Nathan was present but I think she just never fully processed things nor trust her instincts. The physical manifestations were present re: deep down she felt when he was there hence her violent attacks, her feeling that "something bad is going to happen." She just dost trust those feelings. Same thing with all those whispers from Gideon, she was running scared so much that she was listening to what he was telling her that makes him saying "I Love You " is not as significant in capturing his feelings towards her. " I love you" pales and doesn't fully capture what Gideon has been telling her all along.

Hi Gigi

Wht I can't understand is, if Eva went to stay with her dad during her childhood, between the ages of 10 and 14, why didn't he pick up on her behaviour? Surely she would have shown some symptoms of abuse ie withdrawn tendencies, not that I know a lot about this subject.

I think Eva didn't go to live near or with him until later in her life like late high school and college. He did pick up on her out of control wild behavior and helped her get treatment with Dr. Travis. That is where she first met Cary.

Hi Gigi

Hi Julie54,

I agree with you completely.  I think that both Victor and Monica had their heads stuck in the sand when it comes to Eva and what was going on during that time in her life.  There is no way that Eva wasn't exhibiting "symptoms" of sorts.  No way!  I think Monica was too busy being a trophy housewife and Victor was too busy being a cop and trying to please Monica.  In the end Eva paid for it.

I really hope that Sylvia addresses the lost years as far as Eva and her father are concerned.  Something was definately going on there, but as to what exactly, I have no idea and not even a clue.  What do you think?

Eva has also know Nathan was following her and Nathan was present but I think she just never fully processed things nor trust her instincts. The physical manifestations were present re: deep down she felt when he was there hence her violent attacks, her feeling that "something bad is going to happen." She just dost trust those feelings. Same thing with all those whispers from Gideon, she was running scared so much that she was listening to what he was telling her that makes him saying "I Love You " is not as significant in capturing his feelings towards her. " I love you" pales and doesn't fully capture what Gideon has been telling her all along.

Hi KiMa,

What makes you believe that Eva knew that Nathan was following her?  Is it something she knew all along or something that she discovered near the end?  You are correct in the significance of Gideon's feelings for Eva and her fear of that. 

Hi Julie54,

I agree with you completely.  I think that both Victor and Monica had their heads stuck in the sand when it comes to Eva and what was going on during that time in her life.  There is no way that Eva wasn't exhibiting "symptoms" of sorts.  No way!  I think Monica was too busy being a trophy housewife and Victor was too busy being a cop and trying to please Monica.  In the end Eva paid for it.

I really hope that Sylvia addresses the lost years as far as Eva and her father are concerned.  Something was definately going on there, but as to what exactly, I have no idea and not even a clue.  What do you think?

I find it hard to believe that Eva wouldn't have refused to sleep in her own bedroom during those years; I think Monica must have been a complete idiot . She is my least favorite character in the book and a complete fake in my opinion not to mention a failure as a mother. The extreme guilt she lives with is well deserved...