Gideon DID kill Nathan -- that's official from Sylvia in a live interview

LN Cronan

Is that what happens when you write a novel-----the characters "speak" to you?

I often say that I consider myself more of a narrator than a creator. I have no control over my characters or their stories. I just listen and try to type fast.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LN Cronan

That works for me. Because the system failed Gideon, the first examinations proving nothing, gave the rapist the green light to take it further, makes me think he didn't trust the system to protect Eva. Taking matters into his own hands.

Gideon said "if you crave something. I'll be the one to give it to you. All of your needs Eva , are mine to full fill . Whatever it costs me"

###### it!! He did it!

Hi Julie54,

We don't know that there wasn't any physical evidence of Gideon's abuse (when he was examined by the doctors).  All we know as the reader is that nothing was reported.  We don't know how big this entire cover up is.  I guess we will have to wait until June 4th to find out.  Maybe Gideon himself will go more into detail about what exactly was going on when he was being abused. 

Hi Everyone,
I have been thinking about what Sylvia wrote yesterday in response to a posting I wrote.  I started thinking about juvenile crimes and the expunging of said records.  So with that in mind and the quotes that Sylvia posted (i.e. Gideon viewed photos and videos of Eva being raped), I contacted  The Royal Canadian Mounted Police and my local police department.

I asked them if a person who had been convicted of the crime of rape and such (had his records sealed because of his juvenile status), took evidence from those past crimes (i.e. the videos and photos of Nathan raping and torturing Eva), and used that evidence in the attempts to extort monies from said individuals, would that evidence (the photos and videos) be admissible as evidence in court?  The unanimous response from all parties was absolutely YES!!

When Nathan went to Gideon, Stanton and maybe Monica, and showed them the photos and videos of him raping Eva, he was effectively breaking the seal on his juvenile case.  He was producing documented evidence from a previous crime in the attempts to commit a new crime.  As it was explained to me, Nathan can't have his cake and eat it too.  He couldn't claim privilege on one hand and then use that evidence (knowing that he couldn't be charged for past crimes) in the attempt to commit a new crime.

I then walked across the street to a neighbour who works as a crown attorney and I asked him whether the videos and photos would be admissible in court and he also said yes!  Now I know that there are no absolutes in this world and that yes it is possible that if Nathan had gone before a judge who was extremely sympathetic toward him, may have had the evidence tossed out on a technicality, but I suspect that in this case, given the circumstances, that evidence would be admissible in a court of law.

I also asked about Nathan's possession of this evidence and whether it would have been considered child po** and all the legal parties agreed that possession of said evidence could constitute child p****.  Nathan could face charges for possession and attempt to distribute child p*** (given the facts that he showed Gideon and Stanton the videos and photos). 

Also depending on where Nathan made the tape,  (i.e. New York, Connecticut, California, etc.), if Nathan crossed the state lines when he went to meet with Stanton and Gideon and New York, he could face even more charges (if I am not mistaken, federal charges). 

Perhaps someone who has a legal background might want to join in on this discussion.  Or perhaps Sylvia can clarify this point for us.  I know that Canada and the US has different laws and approach situations differently but surely our two countries cannot be that different. 

Perhaps someone who has a legal background might want to join in on this discussion.  Or perhaps Sylvia can clarify this point for us.  I know that Canada and the US has different laws and approach situations differently but surely our two countries cannot be that different. 

Neither Gideon, Monica, or Stanton would allow those photos to go through so many hands--authorities, prosecutors, jurists. Can you imagine what that would do to Eva? What that would do to Gideon to watch her live through being raped again in front of so many strangers, for all intents and purposes? Having her possibly having to testify again about what had been done to her?

I can't see any possibility of Gideon turning those photos over to anyone and putting Eva through that. It would kill him.

GiGi you are right about the laws, and yes Nathan could/would face both state and federal prosecution, but there is no way Gideon is letting her go through all that. Eva's already been through enough .  He's said throughout RIY that he would give up everything for her, and he means it. That why we love him. Well that's why I love him.

Sylvia will Victor be taking another trip to NY in EWY?

Thanks for answering all our questions Sylvia.

Well, I'm not sure I'm really answering anything. I won't make excuses for the characters, they are who they are. But I know them pretty well and Gideon... he wants to do everything in his power to insulate Eva, to protect her and make her feel safe and loved.

Sylvia will Victor be taking another trip to NY in EWY?

You'll see Victor again!

Neither Gideon, Monica, or Stanton would allow those photos to go through so many hands--authorities, prosecutors, jurists. Can you imagine what that would do to Eva? What that would do to Gideon to watch her live through being raped again in front of so many strangers, for all intents and purposes? Having her possibly having to testify again about what had been done to her?

I can't see any possibility of Gideon turning those photos over to anyone and putting Eva through that. It would kill him.

Hi Sylvia,

I guess I have always believed that Eva could overcome what ever obstacles would come her way.  I don't see her as that fragile.  I have seen her make so many strides with her life and I think that with unconditional love and support she would have been able to overcome this horrible situation.   I do suppose that is my flaw as the reader.  I believe that each person has the capacity to grow, to change and to become stronger. 

As a reader I think that everyone has assumed that Eva wouldn't be able to handle a trial.  I sometimes wonder if they don't give Eva enough credit or whether somewhere deep down inside there isn't a small part of them, that wants to protect their good name.  How much of this "protection" is really for Eva and how much of this is for them?  It takes an incredibly strong person to stand beside another human being when they are suffering.  Thus far, I don't know that any of these individuals motives have been pure (based on their actions and past conduct).  Such is the human condition. Each and every single one of us is flawed. Sigh!

Thank you for taking the time to clarify this point.  Thank you.

Well, I'm not sure I'm really answering anything. I won't make excuses for the characters, they are who they are. But I know them pretty well and Gideon... he wants to do everything in his power to insulate Eva, to protect her and make her feel safe and loved.

You'll see Victor again!

Yay for Victor.

You are certainly clearing up a few things for us, and I appreciate it.

I think that is what makes Gideon so swoon worthy. He loves Eva fiercely, and is willing to do whatever it takes to make sure she feels protected, and safe. She is so precious to him, and as a reader I feel that and love him for it.

Hi everyone,

Something else just struck me.  A prosecutor would have absolutely LOVED a case like Eva's!  They would have been dancing a jig of glee up and down the courthouse steps!  There would have been actual documented physical evidence, a completely sympathic victim (Eva), upstanding members of the community (i.e. Gideon, Stanton and Monica) and a despicable defendant.  Prosecutors would be getting down on their hands and knees and thanking the Universe above for such a case.

Given all the circumstances, I would have been really surpised if they didn't throw the "book" at Nathan.  I am not so sure that man would have ever seen the light of day and I also don't think that Nathan would have lasted too long in prison.  Prisoners always seem to find out about pedophiles and rapists in prison.  Oh well, I can't change what has happened.  Sigh!

I sometimes wonder if they don't give Eva enough credit or whether somewhere deep down inside there isn't a small part of them, that wants to protect their good name. 

Absolutely true on both points. Eva went from having no protection to having too much protection. Dealing with that is part of her journey. As for Gideon, he wants to do for her what wasn't done for him--or for her younger self--much the way some parents want to give their kids all the things they never had... often to the detriment of the children.

Gideon and Eva are very flawed and damaged people, who have irrational and fierce reactions to situations in their lives. They are also surrounded by other flawed and damaged people. They're slowly becoming stronger together, but they haven't been a couple very long and have just taken a few steps in the right direction.

Prisoners always seem to find out about pedophiles and rapists in prison. 

Nathan wasn't a pedophile. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedophilia He was twelve when he began his attacks on a ten year old Eva and the abuse ended when Eva was fourteen and he was sixteen. He was a very sick, disturbed monster of a child who grew up into a horror of a man.

Since he was previously committed for psychiatric treatment, I think it might be likely that he'd be recommitted rather than incarcerated. The man wasn't sane and could very likely have been able to make that argument in a trial.

Since he was previously committed for psychiatric treatment, I think it might be likely that he'd be recommitted rather than incarcerated. The man wasn't sane and could very likely have been able to make that argument in a trial.

I think that would have been my concern, that he would have just been hospitalized again. I mean he obviously was sick, and stalking Eva. He was obsessed with her. She could have endured a trial, but when something that personal is out for the world to see, a victim has such a wide array of emotions. This certainly would have been front page news and the result probably would have been Nathan being thrown back into a mental health facility and then released when he was considered not to be a "risk" to himself or others. Apparently he fooled somebody the first time around. Eva was relieved that he was dead, as someone who has lived through something similar,  I understood that. Living in fear is certainly not a way to live.

GiGi I don't condone Gideon killing Nathan. Do I understand it? Absolutely.

Nathan wasn't a pedophile. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedophilia He was twelve when he began his attacks on a ten year old Eva and the abuse ended when Eva was fourteen and he was sixteen. He was a very sick, disturbed monster of a child who grew up into a horror of a man.

Hi Sylvia,

You are absolutely correct.  I must remember to use my terminology correctly.  My appologies.   What I was getting at and didn't do a very good job of explaining was; if another prisoner found out about Nathan raping Eva when she was 10 years old and he was 12, it wouldn't have been very well received in a prison setting.  Sex crimes are seen as the lowest form of crime to commit and that is why, often times (depending on the severity and the amount of publicity said crime has received) those criminals are segregated from the general population (for their safety and protection). 

I also don't know whether Nathan would have been sent to a mental institution immediately or whether he would have wound up in the prison system first.  If for the sake of arguement Nathan was sent to prison or a mental institution, an arguement could have been made to label Nathan as a dangerous offender and as such he would never have been eligible for release (I know that designation is a part of the criminal justice system in Canada and I hope that is the case in the US).  Obtaining that kind of designation would however would be entering into a huge legal gray area.  There are so many factors as to whether his previous crimes would be admissible or not (again depending on the judge and the legal arguements presented) given his present day actions.  In the end I guess it is a moot point.  Nathan is now dead and we the reader will never know what could have been.  We have to deal with what is; Nathan is now dead. Period.

I think that would have been my concern, that he would have just been hospitalized again. I mean he obviously was sick, and stalking Eva. He was obsessed with her. She could have endured a trial, but when something that personal is out for the world to see, a victim has such a wide array of emotions. This certainly would have been front page news and the result probably would have been Nathan being thrown back into a mental health facility and then released when he was considered not to be a "risk" to himself or others. Apparently he fooled somebody the first time around. Eva was relieved that he was dead, as someone who has lived through something similar,  I understood that. Living in fear is certainly not a way to live.

GiGi I don't condone Gideon killing Nathan. Do I understand it? Absolutely.

Hi Kirsten,

I get where you are coming from.  I get it.  I think I am just sad and disappointed by this entire situation.  If Gideon did kill Nathan  (I want to read that with my own two eyes with that book in my hand), then he has chosen such a hard road to travel and I think that is sad.  At the end of the day, there is no good outcome when crimes like these are committed.  Someone always looses.  There are no winners.

Hi Kirsten,

I get where you are coming from.  I get it.  I think I am just sad and disappointed by this entire situation.  If Gideon did kill Nathan  (I want to read that with my own two eyes with that book in my hand), then he has chosen such a hard road to travel and I think that is sad.  At the end of the day, there is no good outcome when crimes like these are committed.  Someone always looses.  There are no winners.

I agree Gigi. This is sure to have a lasting effect on all parties involved.

I think what is needed (which, like GiGi I am wanting to read this on my own) is for readers to really understand the level of danger and also what exactly happened.

From Eva's POV, we don't quite grasp but I hoping EWY with have more things from Gideon's POV.

There are soo many missing pieces when it's presented in Eva's POV.

I want to read and assess, disect all relevant pages and get more of Gideon's thoughts. As I have a feeling how detective Graves presented things isn't how they quite occurred Alas....sighs.

Noteworthy pieces. At the sane time, I sturbonly want to read all details and digest and won't think otherwise till then.

Snippet#4. “I don’t think you do. This†–he gestured impatiently at himself– “is just a F(&^*** shell. You’re what drives me, Eva. Can you understand that? You’re my heart and soul. If something ever happened to you it would kill me, too. Keeping you safe is goddamned self-preservation! Tolerate it for me, if you won’t do it for yourself.â€

http://www.sylviaday.com/2012/12/31/special-teaser-years/

Noteworthy pieces. At the sane time, I sturbonly want to read all details and digest and won't think otherwise till then.

Snippet#4. “I don’t think you do. This†–he gestured impatiently at himself– “is just a F(&^*** shell. You’re what drives me, Eva. Can you understand that? You’re my heart and soul. If something ever happened to you it would kill me, too. Keeping you safe is goddamned self-preservation! Tolerate it for me, if you won’t do it for yourself.â€

http://www.sylviaday.com/2012/12/31/special-teaser-years/

I meant same but for my sanity maybe sane works just as well, lol

After the s!!! my brother pulled there were threats upon our family.   My only concern were my nephews.   My best friends hubby just happen to be the sargeant in the town they lived in and he did put an extra eye on them.   Also the school just happen to be next door.   If any harm came to them I would have beat the living daylights of whoever.

After the s!!! my brother pulled there were threats upon our family.   My only concern were my nephews.   My best friends hubby just happen to be the sargeant in the town they lived in and he did put an extra eye on them.   Also the school just happen to be next door.   If any harm came to them I would have beat the living daylights of whoever.

Hi Donnad, 

What's going on?  I am trying to follow your postings and I think that I may have missed something there.  If you would be kind enough to catch me up that would be great. Thanks in advance.  :)

Hi Donnad, 

What's going on?  I am trying to follow your postings and I think that I may have missed something there.  If you would be kind enough to catch me up that would be great. Thanks in advance.  :)

My one brother had his own ponzi scheme with his company.   Over 300 clients including family were affected.   It had made news actually even internationally.   Not as famous as Madoff.    There were alot of threats towards the immediate family.   We were not involved.  I can give perspective on ponzi, law enforcement (other bro and father), nursing (mom) and entertainment industry (me).

This makes sense, especially coupled with your explanation that Nathan probably would end up hospitalized again (like he had after being convicted of rape) instead of sent to prison. I had been thinking more in terms of the most serious criminal charge that slam-dunk could have been leveled, giving him the longest possible prison term, especially if he were charged Federally, where parole no longer exists.

If this isn't a spoiler question for Entwined, has Gideon (or Monica/Stanton) been able to get their hands on the originals and all copies Nathan made, destroying them all? And how had Nathan been able to hide that material somewhere for more than a decade?