SPOILERS: Entwined with You Overall Discussion

On Friday night Sylvia was asked why does Gideon run off to California and do other things but not let Eva know.  Sylvia's response confused me because she said Gideon has a love/hate relationship with Eva.  I kept playing this back in my mind and went through her books and couldn't put the love/hate thing out of my mind and I told Sylvia that the next day.

She took a good bit of time explaining it too me.  (Kristen fill in anything I may have forgotten.)

She said for most of his life Gideon hasn't needed anything and he has never depended on someone like he does Eva.  His sense of being in control is out the window where Eva is concerned.  The more he shares with Eva the more he needs her and this is so alien to him. 

In the past if he lost something he would start again.  If his business failed he wouldn't be upset he would rebuild.  If he lost people in his life he would find someone to replace them.  In Eva's case he just can't do without her.  He knows he can't replace her so he compensates or retaliates with these little "independence" events that backfire on him.  He loves Eva but he hates that he is losing control. 

Great explanation of Gideon's personality and why he does what he does!  The next time I read the books I will keep that in mind.   

It is kind of sad to think that Gideon equates his love for Eva with a loss of control.  Love is supposed to set a person free; make them stronger, braver then they ever thought that they could be.  Has Gideon really accepted Eva's love?

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great explanation of Gideon's personality and why he does what he does!  The next time I read the books I will keep that in mind.   

It is kind of sad to think that Gideon equates his love for Eva with a loss of control.  Love is supposed to set a person free; make them stronger, braver then they ever thought that they could be.  Has Gideon really accepted Eva's love?

GiGi you say this perfectly! Gideon is struggling. I know we loath Lizzy, but she raised a guy we're loving and pulling for.

Sorry about the typos. I was trying to read my notes and didn't do a very good job transcribing.[/

Didn't notice any typos !Very grateful to you for we have more than we had and its very enlightening and puts some of the behavior of the characters in context .Many thanks yet again.:)

Elizabeth is a complicated character per Sylvia we will learn more.  Liz was a women madly in love with her first husband.  She had it all and then her world fell apart.  She lost her money, status and her love when Geoffrey Cross's ponzi scheme was found out and then his suicide.  She moved on and adopted the attitude "If I don't acknowledge things are bad then they aren't bad." As a result she failed her son. 

What a bomb to drop!!! Wow!! I can hardly wait to see how the Elizabeth Vidal Storyline will play out!!  I need to grab a calendar and start marking off the days until the next release!  

Monica - this question put a mischievous little smile on Sylvia's face.  She said Monica's back-story is BIG!  She needs to confront her past and she will.

Wowie!!  Zowie!!! Now I am dancing a jig of glee!!  Oh holy cow!! I can hardly wait to hear about Monica's backstory!!  It is like dangling a big honking carrot in front of a very hungry donkey!! :D 

GiGi you say this perfectly! Gideon is struggling. I know we loath Lizzy, but she raised a guy we're loving and pulling for.

Hi MicheleWV, 

I wonder if Gideon somehow hates the fact that he needs Eva's love (thereby making Gideon wholly human).  This is the first woman who truly has the capacity to devastate Gideon.  Eva is the first woman who has gotten a look behind the iron wall he built (as a matter of survival).  Do you know what I mean? 

Christopher Jr.  I asked Sylvia if Christopher was really as bad as he appears to be at this point.  She said he has redeeming qualities in that he loves Ireland and his mother and he would do anything for them.  She wouldn't elaborate anymore. 

I am glad that Christopher Jr. isn't completely despicable. I hope he gets his act together if for no other reason than it would be good for everyone to finally have some peace.  Gideon's family desperately needs peace. 

Gideon is all that is left of Geoffrey. But really she doesn't have him. She has alienated him from herself. He loves his mother, as a child would, unconditionally, but as an adult, he is angry and cold at her abandonment of him.

You would think that Elizabeth would have held onto Gideon more tightly because he was the last remaining link to her past but she didn't, which makes her a very perplexing character.  Why did Elizabeth Vidal suddenly become so hands-off with her son?  Why did she listen to everyone else but her own "mother" instinct?  What the heck was going on there?

Sylvia said that book 4 will still be in Eva's POV but she is starting to see more from Gideon's side.  She expects Gideon's will be heard from in book 5.

I asked her if we are going to hear what Deanna said to Gideon my only response was a smile and "she doesn't know."  I asked if we will find out what Angus said to Gideon at the wedding again she said she didn't know.

I asked if the 10th floor was Eva's new office and she was actually surprised by that question.  She hadn't really thought about it so I don't think she was going there at the time she wrote that scene but she said we'll see what happens.  I'm guessing she doesn't get the 10th floor in book 4.

How wonderful that the readers are thinking so far ahead!  :) 

Hi MicheleWV, 

I wonder if Gideon somehow hates the fact that he needs Eva's love (thereby making Gideon wholly human).  This is the first woman who truly has the capacity to devastate Gideon.  Eva is the first woman who has gotten a look behind the iron wall he built (as a matter of survival).  Do you know what I mean?

He does hate it. He said it in Chapter 1 EWY in the bedroom when he couldn't stay away from Eva and needed to know if she could be with him. What he feels for her is foreign and the control freak admits he may eff it up. Can't live with her. Can't live without her. Even though I'm mad at Eva for subconsciously stringing Brett along and securing another beat down for him, I'm proud of her trusting and waiting for Gideon as he opens up. In that sense, she's more mature via therapy.

At least Gideon recognizes that she's the love of his life. He does a good job of telling her and probably because he recognizes her low self esteem. I am just getting the love/hate thing in my head tonight and from the posts here. Wow. I have to rethink.

Oh I forgot.  When we were talking about Gideon she mentioned that his name literally means "He who slays his enemies."  She thinks that is very appropriate for the way Gideon handles things. 

Sylvia also talked about the Crossfire babies.  The woman sitting next to me at the Day after Dark event said she was pregnant after trying for sometime.  She said she read "all the good parts" to her husband and now she is finally having a baby.  Sylvia said she's heard a lot of those stories including Jill Redfield.  Her husband is her manager and they worked on the audio book together.  I guess they were inspired by the reading.    happy-love-heart-smiley-emoticon.gif

How wonderful. :)  Now seriously, how do you get a heart to move and smile...:) 

I asked her about this forum and told her the women on here are great and fun to talk to.  She agrees.  She said she can't really come on very much because she doesn't want comments about future events to impact her writing because the story might now go where it should go but she likes reading comments after a book is release.

I had my Entwined book with me on Friday which has all my tabs that mark what I think correspond to the pictures and some of my favorite quotes.  She said she loves seeing books marked like that.  I told her we pick the books apart and study them like an assignment.  She laughed.  

Again, that makes total sense to me.  Sylvia is writing from her unobstructed point of view.  Could you imagine Sylvia trying to listen to all of our voices and then Gideon's and Eva's?  It would be too much.  I hope when this is all finished, that Sylvia comes on and takes a look at what we have been theorizing and posting.  She might get a real laugh out of it. :)

He does hate it. He said it in Chapter 1 EWY in the bedroom when he couldn't stay away from Eva and needed to know if she could be with him. What he feels for her is foreign and the control freak admits he may eff it up. Can't live with her. Can't live without her. Even though I'm mad at Eva for subconsciously stringing Brett along and securing another beat down for him, I'm proud of her trusting and waiting for Gideon as he opens up. In that sense, she's more mature via therapy.

At least Gideon recognizes that she's the love of his life. He does a good job of telling her and probably because he recognizes her low self esteem. I am just getting the love/hate thing in my head tonight and from the posts here. Wow. I have to rethink.

Hi MicheleWV, 

You make really good points.  I always come back to whether Gideon has allowed Eva's love for him to sink down into his soul or whether he is still fighting the concept of love? 

You are so right; out of the two of them, Eva is far more emotionally mature when it comes to love then Gideon.  In some strange way, they are really good for one another.  They don't seem to have the same dysfunction and as such, they can see past their own foibles and help one another get through each other's issues.  They have a really complex dynamic going on. Do you know what I mean?

No that would be a spoiler.  I'm interested in what Kristen found out.  She had the opportunity to hear the various questions fans asked as Sylvia signed books.  I found Sylvia was more forthcoming one-on-one but there were only so many questions one person could ask while she was signing the books.

I can hardly wait until Kirsten starts posting what she learned that night.  I have said it before and I will keep saying it;  You ladies are awesome!!! Thank You!!! :)  :)  :) 

OMG Sharon!!! All this info is making me crazy!!!!! I was patiently waiting for CBY but now... I cant freaking wait!!!!!!!!!! 

The fact that she said Monica's story is BIG has my mind going in all different directions... and we might hear from Gideon in book 5?!?

Excuse me while I go faint... 

You are too funny!  :) 

Hi GiGi

Is Gideon not afraid of losing control because the two people he loved was loved by let him down in such a big way first his father when he committed suicide and this struck me when he was having that conversation with Eva about Hugh and how Hugh's son would feel after he committed suicide something like he didn't love him enough to stay and second the betrayal by Elizabeth for all the reasons we've mentioned .Both of this events happened when he was a child and he had no control over the outcome they turned his life upside down and hurt him in unimaginable ways and now loving Eva the way he does takes him back to that point of vulnerability he escaped from and it scares him because in his experience he has no reason to trust love .I know what I'm trying to say not sure I'm getting it across.

I think she is probably sleeping.  She was working on Friday setting up for the the Saturday event.  Saturday evening they were having something with 40 of the authors that sounded like a drinking get together.  I'm not sure who was attending but if Sylvia was there I'll bet it was fun.  There are a lot of friends among the romance authors and everyone I met was great.  I talked to as many as I could (the people I read first).  I was amazed how much fun they were.  Shayla Black was there with her husband.  He was a riot.    Maya Banks was fun too.  I'm sure Kristen has some stories.

It sounds like you had a wonderful time.  Maybe some other time you can tell us what the other authors were like as well. :) 

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.  Sylvia didn't give any information about SD except her comments about the Brett dynamic.  I think there is going to be a lot of activity.

Well we all know A LOT can happen in a day with this series imagine a weekend! If Gideon doesn't go with her to SD I think he would at least go the last day and come back with her. 

I can hardly wait for the next book! :)