SPOILERS: Entwined with You Overall Discussion

Do we know if Monica was so possessive / overprotective of Eva before the whole Nathan story (or before Monica found out about it at least) and if so, I wonder what made her be like that??

Hi Chiara, 

I had this great post and it disappeared...yet again!  Sigh!  Ok, I think that Monica was a pretty lax mother prior to marrying Mr. Barker and she definitely didn't keep her eye on the ball because her daughter was being raped and tortured for four years right under her nose.

I think that she keeps a tight leash (or at least she tries to) on Eva because she feels guilty about what happened to Eva and how she failed Eva.  I don't think that she has been able to forgive herself for what happened and that is what may be driving Monica to be so deceptive with Eva (at least in part).

I hope that we get the opportunity to hear a lot more about Monica and what she was like in her past.  Sylvia said something about the fact that Monica has a huge backstory so I am just sitting on pins and needles waiting.  :)

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We were talking about Shayla Black's books earlier.  I have a couple of her books that she signed for me.  When I asked her what books she recommends of hers she said the Wicked series is her favorite and out of that series Wicked Ties is her favorite.  Her husband said that's his favorite too.

Hi Sharon, 

Which books did you read from Shayla Black, if you don't mind me asking.  I read her Christmas Story and I thought it was really lovely.  I think it was called Wicked All The Way.  It seemed like the characters were all interconnected which is what I initially found so appealing (actually I still do- some of the other books are a little too hard core for my taste). 

It is clear that Shayla Black is one talented writer though.  What do you think?

I always love looking at the Henry-Gideon pictures, but one thing always bothers me. I almost never envision him smiling as he does in the majority of the photographs. In my mental images he is always "dark and dangerous" with the piercing blue eyes, or else with a face on fire with passion and ###### (oh my!)

Love how SD describes his public persona: "his mask slipped smoothly into place. His irises chilled to an icy blue and his sensual mouth lost any hint of curve." That's why Eva is always so happy when he lets himself relax, smile, and even laugh with her.

Henry of course has to please the public while Gideon can just tell everyone to back off.

I am sure that Henry could lose the smile for the role and put in place a "smouldering" look just for all of the fans.  He has very expressive eyes and you can see his emotions all over his face when he wants. 

GIGI! Here I am again ...

So, I did have a dog, too. Or better we as a family had a dog. A very energetic and crazy poddle who likes to seek out bigger dogs to fight and to fall in love with! And always on the run. How many hours we did spend to find him again after strolling in the neighborhood!

So, great, what you are telling from your dad and your patients! I would have been in a hospital with you. I - for sure - would have had a very fun time there! Our doctors and nurses here are often so stressed and not the kind of amusing people. 

And you speak Italian! Great! I adore you! I do understand quite a lot of Italian language but I didn´t  find time yet to learn it properly , to speak it!

Smiling to you! SME

Hi SME, 

It is funny that you say that; all of my patients always ask me about my dad and my dogs (I have several).  I swear that I will never get another dog and  someone calls me with a sad story about an abused dog or someone who no longer wants their dog and then again, they come to my house to live.  We now have two little Maltese dogs (one 2.5 pound and one 6.6pounds) and we also have a Shih Tzu dog who thinks that she can take on the world!  She has absolutely no fear whatsoever!  She is 12pounds of pure energy and curiosity and ferocity! :)  She also believes that she can "cure" any foible or illness just by "licking" it away! :)

Her favourite line:  "Don't worry mommy....I fix...I fix."  She then procedes to lick what ever seems to be a problem for the person.  If you drop a little ice cream on the floor, she is right there to lick it up.  If you spill a little bit of food on your pants, she just hops up onto your laps and licks it right up.  If you are crying and are reaching for a kleenex, she kisses the tears away with her licks.  If your feet are cold, well all you have to do is put them on her belly to warm them up (mind you she complains about this last one-she feels that she doesn't get enough dog cookies for such a duty:)).  Oh, well she has to tolerate a little inconvenience to live in this household.

Everyone loves my dogs, they say that they are so well behaved and I always sit and wonder whose dogs they are talking about.  :)  My Shih Tzu loves to take the shoe laces out of our shoes and then loves to hide them.  She also loves to dig into the laundry hamper and dig out a sock or two and then hides those too!  Sigh!  :)   Overall she is a very funny dog!

I tell people about my dad or my family because patients are often scared or afraid and I find that if they realize that I am a human being too and that I understand their fear it makes the appointment a little easier for them.  :)

OH GIG!

SAME to me! Same to me! So much fun!

No apology necessary! To be honest I did think you disappeared because you were off to the weekend and maybe just chatting form your work place! And I was certain I will meet you here again. But your explanation is very welcomed!

Yes, I did have a nice evening (finally resolved one of the major software issues I have been dealing with since the beginning of June) and was reading in my BLACKSTONE AFFAIR e-books.

So, now I wish you a very good and relaxing Saturday. Here the sun is shining, the temperature is getting higher and higher and I decided to sneak here to this forum for a little while to answer some postings!

So, looking very forward to see here again ...

SME

GIGI, a personal question: you live in the States? May I ask where .... the State is enough if you don´t wanna reveal more ...!

Hi SME, 

I am glad that the sun is shining where you are.  It has been very warm and sticky and rainy here today.  I did get to see a little bit of the sun.  It was peeking out from behind a rainy cloud.  :)

To answer your question, I live in Canada.  I do have relatives in the US though; New York, Virginia, Wyoming, California, Florida, North Carolina and South Carolina. :)

she said to herself when she was going down the hall to the apt passed Gideon's door. page 247..

hating that I had to walk by Gideon's to get there, Had he felt like this when he he'd spent time with Corinne? Weighted with guilt and worry?

I feel like you guys aren't giving her enough credit

Hi Agoodbook, 

I read your posting and I was wondering what you meant?  Could you please explain how I am not giving Eva enough credit please?  It would be greatlly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.  :)

GIGI, you are challenging and some kind of similar spirit to me!

I do like your so elaborated answers to my postings or opinions etc.!!! Super!

So, here my point of view is coming: 

THEREFORE see above!

sme

Hi SME,

Who knew that we would be so similar…small world! :)

I think of Monica as MoMo because she is a ding dong!  She really frustrates and angers me in the grandest way!  I also don’t think that for the most part, Monica has like a mother. She has acted more like Eva’s friend than a mother.  She is also incredibly manipulative and as such I am not sure that she deserves the title of “Mommyca†although the saying is humorous. 

I can relate to what you said about your mother.  I had challenges of my own with my own mother for many years until she passed away in my early twenties.  After that I set out on a quest to understand why my mother was the way she was.  So I travelled back to Europe and I spoke with all of her friends and our family.  It turns out that my mother was severely abused to within an inch of her life when she was four years old.  I suspect that something in her spirit (soul) broke and that she was never quite the same.

She too had challenges with her mother and wasn’t ever able to resolve those issues (with my grandmother).  I suspect that it had to do with not being protected and literally thrown to the wolves. 

As it was told to me by my Aunt; at the age of four my mother was tied between two trees and was beaten to within an inch of her life.  She was left tied between those trees bloodied, bruised and broken.  The wild dogs were attracted to the blood and were biting my mother throughout the night.  In the morning, a neighbor came and cut her down from between the trees and carried her back to her home.  Her sisters said that she was never the same again.  Something in her spirit broke.  No one came to rescue her through the night and her cries were ignored. 

During my childhood years my mother was often very strict and she ruled the house with an iron first.  What I know now is that my mother was doing everything within her power to make sure that I was protected.  She always stressed education because she wanted to make sure that no matter what ever happened in my personal life, I would always be able to earn a good living and that I wouldn’t ever have to be dependent on anyone for support.

Whatever frustrations I may have had regarding my mother were all dissolved when I heard what had happened to her during her childhood.  I now realize that she was doing the very best that she could given her emotional and life circumstances.  No matter what, I always knew that my mother loved and continues to love me unconditionally.  I can almost guarantee that my mother is up in heaven having a discussion with Plato about what I have achieved in my life (my mother loved to chat!  I wonder where I get my chattiness from :D).

My whole point of telling you a personal story from my family is; if you get a chance listen to your mother.  She may just have a story to tell that might make her past actions more understandable.  It is just a thought.

I too, think that our souls are of different ages.  I can agree with you in that Monica acts like a soul and as such might be a young soul.  Eva on the other hand has had a lot to deal with (far more than any child or human being should ever have to deal with!) and as such has an older soul.  I say that because somewhere out of this entire mess, Eva has come out unscathed.  Many people, who are severely abused like that, turn to drugs and alcohol.  Eva seems to have bypassed that and that shows a certain amount of maturity. 

Eva’s issues with promiscuity do not concern me as much because often when children are sexually abused, the way they learn to relate to men is through se*.  The abuse can be a form of conditioning (that is what they were used for and perhaps they correlate their past with their worth which seems to be what happened to Eva).  People relate to the opposite se* se*ually instead of learning to relate in other ways.  Eva got help for her issues though which is really positive.

I am glad that you related Monica and Elizabeth’s behaviour and I used to think that Monica’s actions were worse.  The more I read the more I am beginning to wonder who the worst one of all is.   You also made a good point about their actions or lack thereof and their ability to deal with challenges.

I am glad that money wouldn’t corrupt you!  That makes me very happy.  :)  I would never lie or cheat or steal to have money either!  Ever!  I couldn’t have respect for someone that could do something like that.   It makes everyone’s life so much more difficult. 

Is my posting long enough (just joking :)) ?What do you think? What is your opinion?

Hi Julie and Gigi, 

I have the gut feeling Monika will surprises us or better Sylvia will do it. I do think Monika will tell it Stanton somehow. How exactly I don´t know. I do think there is conflict and maybe Stanton will ask Monika to clear/ to come clean with Victor! I don´t think he is ready to let Monika go. And I do think that this cheating could lead Monika and Stanton to a better relationsship. 

I don´t see a divorce .. not in the next book!

What this is - like always - speculations and guess!

What do you think?

SME

Hi SME, 

I too don't think that Monica will say anything to Stanton yet...I don't see Monica putting her financial security at risk unless she had a concrete "exit strategy".  Every thing that Monica does seems to be very well planned.  I can't see Monica going off to tell Stanton what she did without first checking to see what her prenup states about infidelity clause.  ;)

I keep saying this over and over, I can hardly wait until the next book!! :)

My dearest Ladies here of this FORUM here !!!

I am leaving right now .. maybe I do return tonight! We will see .... ;)!

Wish you all a fantastic SATURDAY with enough moments to laugh and have fun! Makes life easier, n´est-ce pas? <---French for "isn´t it true?"

So long, 

greetings

from

sme

P.s. I did read some of your elaborated fine theories in the other forum! MY GOD! I was totally flabbergasted! I will answer there!

I hope you have a wonderful Sunday! :) 

GiGi ....  You know my theory on Brett and s*e*x tape so wanted to throw these books in the pile for everyone.  

Oliva Cunning's Sinner Series, 4 books about a heavy metal rock back, their loves and their groupies.  Read them right before Entwined came out so when the TAPE scenario came out I thought of these books.   Interesting look inside a rock band and sexy too :)

They re-enforce my thinking that ...

a. Brett knows, watched and enjoyed all of Sam's secret tapings 

b.  Any publicity for the band is good - even if he presents an 'outraged' front to Eva 

c.  and he may be older but he's still a MALE     LOL 

Hi Fsumom, 

Every one of your points is plausible (I secretly don't have a huge love of Brett either but I will suspend judgement until the next book in fairness to the other ladies).  I will just have to do my best to bite my tongue about Brett. ;)

Could you do me a favour and please post your book suggestions on the other thread as well please. I think one of the other forum members stated that they started a thread and it might be a great place for the forum members to go to, when they are looking for other books to read.  Thanks in advance.  :)

No.  I just don't see that happening. 

I re-read some of Monica's parts and I see Stanton (megafinancier) as a man who loves his wife.  He loves her so much that he indulges her way too much to try to keep her happy.  He buys Eva & Cary gifts, not because he wants to give them presents but because it makes Monica happy.  “Money was something my mother needed to be happy, and I was glad Stanton…was able to fill that need for her and all her many others as well.† I can’t believe the Monica can live without sex.  That has to be a need Stanton fills.

Stanton invested money in remolding & security of Parker’s studio.  This is a man he didn’t even know and the only connection he has with him is that his step-daughter wants to workout via self-defense lessons.  Stanton wants his wife secure that her daughter is safe. 

Stanton spent a fortune paying people to keep the abuse quiet so Eva wouldn’t be embarrassed or exposed.  He did this for Monica (her guilt) not Eva. 

I think all of Monica's husbands loved her.  I don’t think Monica loved all of them because love isn’t important to her.  Barker hates his son because he hurt Monica.  I think he was more concerned about Monica than Eva the person his son abused.  We don't know a lot about #2 except that he was a gambler and Eva doesn't gamble because of him.  I think he gambled to try to get enough money to hold Monica. He wanted to keep Monica and knew money was the key.

Finally Monica has Stanton a man who can give her everything she needs.  I don't think he is gay.  I think he is exactly what Monica needs. I’m not sure their love is the love she has for Victor but it is the kind of love that makes her happy and secure.  That is the kind of love Monica needs and she won’t give it up.

Hi Sharon, 

You make some very keen observations.  Your points are well made.  The ultimate question is; if Stanton found out about Monica's fling with Victor, do you think that Stanton would be able to forgive and overlook Monica's misstep?

I agree.  I think Victor and Monica happened because they both hurt for their daughter and they let their defenses down.  Victor admitted to Eva that Monica could never be happy with the life he has to offer.  In the end, if Monica chose Victor, it wouldn't last because she wouldn't be happy and Victor would be in pain because he couldn't make her happy.  Getting together and breaking up would hurt Eva something I don't think either of them is willing to do.  They both know their strengths and weaknesses in their relationship.

You make another good point.  Both of these characters seem to know their strengths and weaknesses. 

Gigi,

As always thank you for your response.  I think that Martin is a good guy and I hope that I am not wrong.  I am concerned about who this Michael guy is.  You are right about Daphne too, although I had not thought about that.  She could be making this all up.  I hope that Lacey and Megumi are not both in trouble, being sick is not that big of a deal, however not returning the calls is what I think has everyone's detective skills working hard. 

Hi Fayeth, 

It seems to be a little against a woman's nature not to call a friend to tell her that she is sick.  The only good thing about being sick is the ice cream, or chicken soup, or pop (or whatever it is that cheers a person up), the flowers and the get well cards.  What is best of all are visits and phone calls from friends.

Megumi is such a social person, to not be in contact with someone like Eva, sharing her illness updates is so contrary to her personality.  She herself has stated that she's a bit of a gossip.  No inquiries or news about Eva's love life, by Megumi,  is odd to say the least.  What do you think?

I agree.  Monica has internalized so much pain and I think that is why she missed Eva's signs of abuse.  I believe Monica has beaten herself up for years over what happened to Eva.  I contend that Monica thought she brought Eva into a place where they both would be safe.  It never dawned on her that Eva would be hurt. 

Monica had to be in her early 20s when she married Barker.   I think she was relieved she didn't have to worry about money, food, housing, etc.  If it turns out she was a call girl she was even more relieved because she didn't have to sell herself anymore.  She looked at her life through rose colored glasses.  Like Eva said the help didn't send up any flags.  Monica didn't have any point of reference and, most likely thought Eva was going through a phase like many pre-teens/teens. 

I know it is hard to believe and we all think we would catch symptoms if it were our child but children try to protect their parents and they hide abuse because they are ashamed. 

Hi Sharon, 

I just wanted to clarify with you:  Are you saying that Monica was in pain before her daughter was abused or was in pain after her daughter was abused and she found out about it?  You clarification is greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance. 

If Monica married Barker because of money and not love don't you think that it is possible that Monica sold herself but in a different way?  They say that a woman who marries for money, earns every penny (i.e.  every sexual intimacy given in that marriage is one that is earned and one more reason to have resentment towards the marriage partner).  What do you think?

Personally I think it is emotional safety. He told Eva in the library the Vidal home is what's in his night mares. He probably didn't want his safe place tanted with the location of his past .

It could be. Your thought is just as valid as everyone else's.   

Hi mam2me!

Wow, mother of four children! That´s a lot of work! How lovely that they call you mam2me!

Yeah, I do like to go into details. But it is time consuming, too! :)!

So ..... thank you!

sme

Hi SME & Mam2e, 

Oh that is so sweet! :)

Hi Sharon, 

Which books did you read from Shayla Black, if you don't mind me asking.  I read her Christmas Story and I thought it was really lovely.  I think it was called Wicked All The Way.  It seemed like the characters were all interconnected which is what I initially found so appealing (actually I still do- some of the other books are a little too hard core for my taste). 

It is clear that Shayla Black is one talented writer though.  What do you think?

I haven't read any of her books yet but I have a couple.  The book I'm going to read next is Hot in Handcuffs.  She wrote this with Sylvia Day.  I think it will be interesting to see how they write together.  Shayla's table was right next to Sylvia at Book Bash.  Sylvia mentioned that they are good friends.  Their writing styles seem to be a little different so it should be interesting how they meld their styles in the book.

I have the first two books in Shayla's Wicked series Wicked Ties and Decadent.  Her husband was so funny and I had to laugh when he recommended Wicked Ties.  He said it is the first one she wrote in this series and it means a lot to her. 

Right now I'm on book 5 of the KGI series by Maya Banks.  I really love these books and the characters.  Each book focuses on a different character but the characters from the previous books flow through each book.  Each book can stand alone but each story references previous books.  As I mentioned earlier they are thrillers in a sense with a love story as the basis of the thriller.  The KGI team (para-military) is working to save a "damsel in distress" so to speak.  It is the best of both worlds for me because I love mysteries.  The characters are well developed and the story is solid.  I like that there are 7 books in print now and another is due out the end of the year.  When I talked to Maya at the Book Bash she said she is planning some more in the series.  She said a few more characters have stories to tell.    I'm hoping that she will develop a story for all the characters in the books.  Book 6 is about P.J. a female sniper.  She is a dead on shot and relied on by her team.  I can't wait to read her story.