* * CAPTIVATED BY YOU ++ SPOILER ++ CHAT * *

Kirsten

Just to touch upon Cary. I don't hold it against Cary that he tried to get rid of Gideon. He's Eva's friend. Walking into her room and seeing her being attacked by her boyfriend, dreaming or not would certainly take a toll on someone. His only concern is Eva, and I don't blame him for that. Just like I don't blame Arnoldo for not liking Eva after the Brett kissing incident.

And as much as I dont like the idea of Cary living next door to Eva, I think one of the reasons he is considering it is the question of Eva's safety. He was present for both of the nightmares that Gideon had when he attacked Eva and Cary was scared to death. That is one of the main reasons Cary isn't 100 percent Gideva. He wanted Gideon to solve his issues BEFORE he married Eva.

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Everyone,

I was thinking about what everyone has said about Eva not wanting to be like her mother or a Trophy wife and I guess my question would be; what constitutes being a trophy wife?  If we look at the facts; Eva is employed-Monica is not.  Eva is a University graduate-is Monica?  Eva married for love; Monica married (or has married in the past) for money?  Eva puts up a fight and has no problem expressing her opinions like/dislike-does Monica do the same?

I am not sure that Eva has given herself enough credit to realize that she is far from being a trophy wife.  What does everyone else think?

Dr. Travis is obviously a very good therapist because he nailed the fact that Eva doesn't want to be like her mom early on in the book. And I do think this is the motivation behind a lot of the things that Eva does...She doesnt want to be dependent on Gideon like her mother is on all her husbands. But I can understand Eva wanting to build a reputation for herself in the business world. She worked hard for her degree and she wants to show the world what she can do. It is true that in the end she has to choose herself or her love for Gideon just like she told Trey...

Hi GLH,

I agree with you about Anne.  I thought about how Gideon described his sexual interactions with Anne and I was sickened by his descriptions.  It painted a picture of a woman who was so pathetically desperate and single-mindedly driven to have the sexual experience. 

I would think that most women would give a man a pass if he was not able to sustain an erecti*n.  Kind words might be exchanged (between the two parties) and the encounter would end, but that's not what was decribed.  The entire scenario was just Sick.

I got the impression he too was sickened by what he did, but guess he couldn't help himself due to the resemblance to Hugh. But did Anne initiate what happened, were those kinky ideas already in Gideon's head or was it just the Hugh factor that made him treat Anne like that (bearing in mind she came back for more I suspect she may have set things off initially - possibly as therapy for the hidden anger she sensed in Gideon? And he obviously did manage to sustain the erecti*n if her comment to him is to be believed he pounded her for hours.

And back to Deanna, she seems to have the same tastes as Anne, is she one of the two women Anne (at that time the unknown redhead) mentioned in Entwined "I know of two women who've experienced severe depression over him" - Is Anne not only Corinne's therapist, but also Deanna's?

Happy Thanksgiving. Turkey in oven so I thought I'd stop in.

First-- there is a big difference between being a trophy wife and what I think Eva can be. You don't have to be Monica but Eva can run a foundation, work with Gideon, and be a wife to a mogul. What she cannot do is forget that she is Eva Cross. She is never going to be treated like everyone else. She isn't LIKE everyone else. Already the ad firm was offered that contract because of who she is, not Mark. People's motives will be questioned. I think of Ivana Trump back in the day. She ran businesses. She was respected for her skills. Could she have worked for someone else? Maybe. But being in competition with your spouse is not a good thing. Another not needed stressor. G has a reputation as a stellar businessman and he wouldn't want Eva to work with him cause he loves her. He knows she's talented. What's so terrible about using that talent with your spouse? Other business people would see right through it, lose respect for G if she wasn't good. G is no fool. He'd never want that.

Anne is scary. Was so sure Deanna was also until I read Afterburn/Aftershock. Not sure now. Not sure about Graves either. We need book 5.

Hi guys! Long-time reader/follower, first time poster. These forums are what kept me sane throughout that long wait for CBY, so thanks to all of you for being so intuitive and clever with your predictions and hopes for this fourth book and keeping me entertained. ;)

There is something that has been bugging me about the book that I hope you guys could help me figure out. When Eva is going to San Diego and the whole Brett thing comes up, Gideon tells her that she needs to tell Brett that they're married. And then later, when he confronts Brett, he shows him the picture of their private wedding. Here's my thought, if that is the tactic that Gideon is using to get Brett to back off, why not use the same thing to get Corinne to back off? Corinne is pulling out all the stops as a last ditch effort, couldn't Gideon tell her that they eloped and that she should stop trying as it's too late? Why tell Brett but not Corinne? I know a big part of her story is that she's acting out of character and as you guys have astutely predicted, she may be Anne Lucas' patient which would explain a lot. But still, if they told her that they were married maybe she would pack her stuff and go back to her husband and just quit trying to eff everything up.

Hi guys! Long-time reader/follower, first time poster. These forums are what kept me sane throughout that long wait for CBY, so thanks to all of you for being so intuitive and clever with your predictions and hopes for this fourth book and keeping me entertained. ;)

There is something that has been bugging me about the book that I hope you guys could help me figure out. When Eva is going to San Diego and the whole Brett thing comes up, Gideon tells her that she needs to tell Brett that they're married. And then later, when he confronts Brett, he shows him the picture of their private wedding. Here's my thought, if that is the tactic that Gideon is using to get Brett to back off, why not use the same thing to get Corinne to back off? Corinne is pulling out all the stops as a last ditch effort, couldn't Gideon tell her that they eloped and that she should stop trying as it's too late? Why tell Brett but not Corinne? I know a big part of her story is that she's acting out of character and as you guys have astutely predicted, she may be Anne Lucas' patient which would explain a lot. But still, if they told her that they were married maybe she would pack her stuff and go back to her husband and just quit trying to eff everything up.

I wondered the exact same thing. Glad you brought it up.

Some friends of mine are quick to jump on Eva whenever it comes to Brett but Gideon has made countless mistakes with Corrine (not even talking about his fake dating scenario with her). The whole first book, whenever Corrine called, Gideon came running. It made me so mad to read that. They both make mistakes with exes and they need to work these issues out. And soon.

Was Deanna with Gideon just once as mention in previous books? He tells Eva in this book she was collateral damage dealing with Anne and would have been a one night stand. I thought she was? It seems there is more to their story. She is a predator that may still be trouble for Gideon.

Also was confused when Gideon met Corrine at Arnoldo's that he admitted her voice was a soft lithe. To me he would have been too livid to remember her voice soothed him. I too am surprised he is falling into her trap and continually meeting with her. How can Corrine even be out of hospital? It has only been approximately a week and 2days since she tried to commit suicide and lost her baby. She would be under observation still. How is she stable to deal with publishers so soon?

Gideon being upset over penthouse changes confused me. I thought that is what he wanted and would bring them home to same place nightly. I loved getting his POV....dont get me started on Eva.. She was wishy washy loving him to the point of panic in San Diego and telling him she'll never leave to doing just that. I'm surprised that her reason for leaving was her job. After all he has done for her.. They could have talked it out. She annoyed me.

I got the impression he too was sickened by what he did, but guess he couldn't help himself due to the resemblance to Hugh. But did Anne initiate what happened, were those kinky ideas already in Gideon's head or was it just the Hugh factor that made him treat Anne like that (bearing in mind she came back for more I suspect she may have set things off initially - possibly as therapy for the hidden anger she sensed in Gideon? And he obviously did manage to sustain the erecti*n if her comment to him is to be believed he pounded her for hours.And back to Deanna, she seems to have the same tastes as Anne, is she one of the two women Anne (at that time the unknown redhead) mentioned in Entwined "I know of two women who've experienced severe depression over him" - Is Anne not only Corinne's therapist, but also Deanna's?

Actually I think Anne is referring to herself and Corinne when she says this...I dont think Deanna is involved with Anne although who knows??!!

Gideon mention he's been with hundreds of women. Did he not get confidentiality agreements signed?? Looks like he didn't. There could be all sorts of women coming out to get there 15 min of fame. I'm surprised he was so careless. A man with his power and money and his sexual preferences in the hotel room would be hard for some women to walk away from. Did these women not try to get a second night? Did they not try to see him at Crossfire? He did elude to this in CBY that there are more women that could bring trouble.

I think his time with Corrine would be interesting to read about. I feel she was submissive to him. He says Eva was only one he gave up control to,ever. I feel he started experimenting with BDSM with Corrine. I'm just saying her diary would be an interesting read...but just for us. I hope she never gets her diary published. Eva wouldn't handle that well at all. They were very young and Gideon very possessive over Corrine and was first love and first consentual sex for him. He was obviously kind and respectful to her and they "dated",did normal college things together, met parents etc... This may be too much for Eva .

How is Gideon keeping it together. His time with Eva has taken a toll on him. He's not sleeping. Too mush stress.

How dare Eva talk to Chris Sr. In Gideon 's workplace with the door open about his abuse. I felt bad for Gideon. Eva could have taken a different approach and met Chris Sr.elsewhere. What if her conversation had been overheard.

Gideon mention he's been with hundreds of women. Did he not get confidentiality agreements signed?? Looks like he didn't. There could be all sorts of women coming out to get there 15 min of fame. I'm surprised he was so careless. A man with his power and money and his sexual preferences in the hotel room would be hard for some women to walk away from. Did these women not try to get a second night? Did they not try to see him at Crossfire? He did elude to this in CBY that there are more women that could bring trouble.

I think his time with Corrine would be interesting to read about. I feel she was submissive to him. He says Eva was only one he gave up control to,ever. I feel he started experimenting with BDSM with Corrine. I'm just saying her diary would be an interesting read...but just for us. I hope she never gets her diary published. Eva wouldn't handle that well at all. They were very young and Gideon very possessive over Corrine and was first love and first consentual sex for him. He was obviously kind and respectful to her and they "dated",did normal college things together, met parents etc... This may be too much for Eva .

How is Gideon keeping it together. His time with Eva has taken a toll on him. He's not sleeping. Too mush stress.

How dare Eva talk to Chris Sr. In Gideon 's workplace with the door open about his abuse. I felt bad for Gideon. Eva could have taken a different approach and met Chris Sr.elsewhere. What if her conversation had been overheard.

I believe it was a closed room because if you remember Mr. Vidal is the one that asked for a private room where they could wait for Gideon...

Hi, new member, and I hope you don't mind me joining you :)

I think Eva really overreacted when she left Gideon... Poor guy, after all that he's done for her (she might not know all of it, but she certainly knows about Nathan). I got so angry. I get that she wanted to make a point, but she forgets that she once has been where Gideon is. She knows what he's processing and how hard that is, and that it takes time. He has done so many huge changes for her and himself in a very short time.... I think she pushes to hard.

I hope he confronts his mother in the next book, her behavior is unforgivable.

Do you think Evas Krav Maga lessons will come in handy? Perhaps she'll have an unpleasant meeting with Anne?

Didn't Gideon tell Eva he only had sex with 12 times (or 12 women, i forget lol), but said he's been with hundreds. I understand he didn't have "sex" with each of them but only 12 doesn't seem like the truth either.

No the number 12 was never mentioned. He said to Dr. Peterson " twice a week on average"

No the number 12 was never mentioned. He said to Dr. Peterson " twice a week on average"

He told Eva in EWY that he took women to his hotel twice a week, but most times he just got them off, not f****** them. And he told Eva in BTY, when they'd been dating for two weeks, that he'd had more sex with her on that time than he'd had the previous two years:

EWY: “Dr. Petersen asked about sexual encounters, Eva,†he said flatly, “which isn’t necessarily f**king, as far as I’m concerned. I didn’t think that distinction would be appreciated when answering the question. So let me be clear: I took women to the hotel, but I didn’t always nail them. It was the exception when I did.â€

BTY: "He was shaking his head as I ogled his divinely perfect torso and lean hips. "I've had as much sex since I met you as I've had in the last two years combined."

Hi, new member, and I hope you don't mind me joining you :)

I think Eva really overreacted when she left Gideon... Poor guy, after all that he's done for her (she might not know all of it, but she certainly knows about Nathan). I got so angry. I get that she wanted to make a point, but she forgets that she once has been where Gideon is. She knows what he's processing and how hard that is, and that it takes time. He has done so many huge changes for her and himself in a very short time.... I think she pushes to hard.

I hope he confronts his mother in the next book, her behavior is unforgivable.

Do you think Evas Krav Maga lessons will come in handy? Perhaps she'll have an unpleasant meeting with Anne?

Hi Anne welcome its a good thing Eva is progressing with her Krav Maga because she has the potential to have quite a few unpleasant meetings with various people in the next book...Enjoy the forum!!

He told Eva in EWY that he took women to his hotel twice a week, but most times he just got them off, not f****** them. And he told Eva in BTY, when they'd been dating for two weeks, that he'd had more sex with her on that time than he'd had the previous two years:

EWY: “Dr. Petersen asked about sexual encounters, Eva,†he said flatly, “which isn’t necessarily f**king, as far as I’m concerned. I didn’t think that distinction would be appreciated when answering the question. So let me be clear: I took women to the hotel, but I didn’t always nail them. It was the exception when I did.â€

BTY: "He was shaking his head as I ogled his divinely perfect torso and lean hips. "I've had as much sex since I met you as I've had in the last two years combined."

Sorry, I must have imagined the 12. That's what i get for studying lab values while thinking about the books. Lol. 

I urge anyone who hasnt tried the Audible version of the series to at least give CBY a try. The scene with Chris Vidal and Gideon in the penthouse was the most dramatic of all the scenes so far IMO. The dialogue was riveting and the narrator does a fine job of conveying all the emotion from both men. It was really hard to listen to but at the same time you didnt want to miss a word.

I urge anyone who hasnt tried the Audible version of the series to at least give CBY a try. The scene with Chris Vidal and Gideon in the penthouse was the most dramatic of all the scenes so far IMO. The dialogue was riveting and the narrator does a fine job of conveying all the emotion from both men. It was really hard to listen to but at the same time you didnt want to miss a word.

Agreed! It's my favorite scene in the whole book.

Yes Gigi I'm not sure I trust Deanna even at this point. She's not a danger to Eva physically like I think Anne Lucas is but she is more of an emotional threat . A leopard can't change it's spots overnight and I dont think Deanna did either.

Hi Sscrph,

I read your comments and I just wanted to clarify that when I said that Deanna was/is dangerous, I think about how Sylvia described Deanna's actions.  She would find rich/powerful men, seduce them, take them to bed, engage in kinky s*x acts, all while video taping/photographing them and get them to expose their most vulnerable secrets (I don't know how often she would employ these tactics, but she has done this in the past).  She would then use the other person's vulnerability against them and at times blackmail them for information. 

In my mind, someone that can do something like that, may not have a problem becoming violent.  What kind of person could do something like that?  I also think about how she interacted with Gideon on page 270 of the book. Deanna is aware of Gideon's engagement, Eva has spoken to Deanna in the previous book and yet she somehow doesn't seem to realize that no one gives a hoot about her "hook up" with Gideon many years ago. 

She feigns concern for Eva by stating something to the effect that she will make her visit a quick one, so that Eva won't catch the two of them in the same room (I am paraphrasing here).  If she had an ounce of decency/concern, she wouldn't have shown up at Gideon's office.  She could have called and arranged a telephone appointment and spoken to Gideon.

I could be wrong, but something about this woman just rubs me the wrong way. 

Dr. Travis is obviously a very good therapist because he nailed the fact that Eva doesn't want to be like her mom early on in the book. And I do think this is the motivation behind a lot of the things that Eva does...She doesnt want to be dependent on Gideon like her mother is on all her husbands. But I can understand Eva wanting to build a reputation for herself in the business world. She worked hard for her degree and she wants to show the world what she can do. It is true that in the end she has to choose herself or her love for Gideon just like she told Trey...

Hi Sscrph,

I read your comments and I agree on many points.  I can completely understand Eva wanting to make a name for herself in business but surely she couldn't be that naiive that she is getting one high profile account after another?  I would find it incredibly difficult to believe she she wouldn't have even the realization that she is getting these high profile accounts because of Gideon (in one way or another).

She landed the Kingman Vodka account (i.e. was allowed to participate in the preparation of the presentation) because Gideon was actively pursuing her.  The LanCorp Account came to her Advertising firm as a result of her (LanCorp execs stated that this account would stay at the firm if Eva was on the project).  I can understand Eva not initially knowing about the feud between Landon and Gideon, but once she connected the dots what would her explanation be to herself.

Eva was a new grad with no previous advertising experience.  She was nothing more than an entry level employee at best, but has been given access to senior level accounts.  Could it be that Eva was justifying using Gideon's connections (or in some way exploiting Gideon's enemies) in order to bolster her career?  Eva has no problem using her career as an excuse when she and Gideon are fighting or when she is feeling overwhelmed. 

She states that she doesn't want to lose herself in her relationship with Gideon.  If she stops and takes a really hard look at herself, isn't she already lost if she isn't honest with herself?  Gideon has subtlety pulled the strings all along, hasn't he? How happy would Eva really be posting mail and fetching coffee for everyone(that's what entry level position employees do)?  At the end of the day, could it be that Eva enjoys the perks and privileges of being with someone like Gideon but doesn't not want to admit it?  What do you think?  What does everyone think?

I got the impression he too was sickened by what he did, but guess he couldn't help himself due to the resemblance to Hugh. But did Anne initiate what happened, were those kinky ideas already in Gideon's head or was it just the Hugh factor that made him treat Anne like that (bearing in mind she came back for more I suspect she may have set things off initially - possibly as therapy for the hidden anger she sensed in Gideon? And he obviously did manage to sustain the erecti*n if her comment to him is to be believed he pounded her for hours.

And back to Deanna, she seems to have the same tastes as Anne, is she one of the two women Anne (at that time the unknown redhead) mentioned in Entwined "I know of two women who've experienced severe depression over him" - Is Anne not only Corinne's therapist, but also Deanna's?

Hi D500,

I read your comments and you raised many good questions.  It will be interesting to see how those questions will be dealt with in the final book.

When I read Gideon recount his experiences with Anne, what I was left with was just how desperate Anne was when she was actively engaged in the s*x act.  I am sorry I couldn't find the passage in the book where Gideon discussed this, somewhere during that passage he had mentioned that it was difficult for him to have s*x with Anne because she resembled her brother. If someone in the forum knows which passage I am referring to and can post it with the page numbers it would be so greatly appreciated.  :)

It will be intersting to see how Sylvia deals with Anne (if she deals with her in the final book) or if the storyline is wrapped up by the end of the series.  I have to wonder how truthful Anne's recollections were.  She was so filled with hatred and venom during her interaction with Gideon that I have to doubt that her recollections were as she recalled them. What do you think?  What does everyone think? 

Happy Thanksgiving. Turkey in oven so I thought I'd stop in.

First-- there is a big difference between being a trophy wife and what I think Eva can be. You don't have to be Monica but Eva can run a foundation, work with Gideon, and be a wife to a mogul. What she cannot do is forget that she is Eva Cross. She is never going to be treated like everyone else. She isn't LIKE everyone else. Already the ad firm was offered that contract because of who she is, not Mark. People's motives will be questioned. I think of Ivana Trump back in the day. She ran businesses. She was respected for her skills. Could she have worked for someone else? Maybe. But being in competition with your spouse is not a good thing. Another not needed stressor. G has a reputation as a stellar businessman and he wouldn't want Eva to work with him cause he loves her. He knows she's talented. What's so terrible about using that talent with your spouse? Other business people would see right through it, lose respect for G if she wasn't good. G is no fool. He'd never want that.

Anne is scary. Was so sure Deanna was also until I read Afterburn/Aftershock. Not sure now. Not sure about Graves either. We need book 5.

Hi GLH,

I read your comments and you are correct.  What I wonder is how long it will take Eva to come to terms with those ideas though.  Eva also has to realize and accept is that due to the fact that she is Mrs. Eva/Gideon Cross she will receive privileges and opportunities that she may not have otherwise received (for many years in some cases) due to the fact that she is married to one of the most powerful men in New York.

I think that the difference between Eva and Ivanna is; Eva struggles and rebels against the very notion of using Gideon's connections and being honest about how she has received many opportunities as a result of being linked/married to Gideon Cross. Ivanna proudly used her husband's name and his initial connections to get her foot in the door and made a huge success of herself. Therein lies the difference.

I agree with you about Detective Graves.  I don't like her.  At the end of the day, she is a detective and I wouldn't put it past her to try and arrest either Eva or Gideon in order to "solve" Nathan's murder and advance her professional career.  If the case of Nathan's murder had been settled, why would Detective Graves feel it necessary to personally visit Eva and have a conversation with her?  Could it be that Nathan's murder hasn't quite been settled so nicely?  Could Detective Graves be one of those potential threats lurking in the shadows?  What do you think?  What does everyone think?

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone! :)