SPOILERS: Entwined with You Overall Discussion

To Sharonm and Kristen and all who asked these wonderful questions to Sylvia THANK YOU! Oh my! We needed this!

The thing that I didn't get was the love/hate Gideon has with Eva. I thought it was cut and dry that he kept Eva in the dark about things to simply to protect her and keep her from worrying. I wasn't thinking of the angle that it's his independence in not 'needing' Eva... the not giving her another piece of himself. I feel sorry for Eva. She's an adult and I agree with her that if they are tracking her whereabouts and doing things for her that she should know. What would it have hurt for Gideon to call her from California and put her at ease? That was selfish to do to the new bride. But now I get it!

Thanks again #applause.

Sylvia explained it so much better than i did (obviously) but after talking to her it made me feel so much better about these two for some reason. 

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sylvia explained it so much better than i did (obviously) but after talking to her it made me feel so much better about these two for some reason. 

Sharon I think you felt better because you realize that Sylvia loves these two as much as we do. :) 

Sylvia said she had to get Eva to a healthy place... strong so she could help Gideon deal with his issues. I also didn't get the sense that these two would be cheating. Eva does get herself into situations that aren't wonderful, but part of her healing is that she is able to walkaway without it becoming more so to speak. Old Eva would spread her legs or open her mouth for a man so she could feel loved. Even if it was only for mere minutes. New Eva realizes that she has to have more self respect. Dr. Travis helped her with a lot, but Gideon certainly has cemented that for her.  She might still find Brett attractive, but she is no longer seeking validation through random sexual experiences. It's been a long road, but Eva finally knows she is worthy of so much more then a quick f*ck.

Hi Sheena

That's what I was saying.

He wants Eva to need him. He wants to be wanted, he needs to be needed. His parents left him feeling unloved, and unwanted. That's part of the crux of his problem. The little boy in him feels like he doesn't belong. He needs and wants Eva to need and want him. Simple.

Hi sheena

I totally agree with you he just won,t to feel loved and wanted my hart goes out to him

Hi GiGi

Is Gideon not afraid of losing control because the two people he loved was loved by let him down in such a big way first his father when he committed suicide and this struck me when he was having that conversation with Eva about Hugh and how Hugh's son would feel after he committed suicide something like he didn't love him enough to stay and second the betrayal by Elizabeth for all the reasons we've mentioned .Both of this events happened when he was a child and he had no control over the outcome they turned his life upside down and hurt him in unimaginable ways and now loving Eva the way he does takes him back to that point of vulnerability he escaped from and it scares him because in his experience he has no reason to trust love .I know what I'm trying to say not sure I'm getting it across.

I get your point and think you nailed it here. Both parents let him down. ADD THE FACT that Gideon has a viscous sleep disorder that has kept him from ever really getting close to anyone. He's afraid to love for many reasons. I'm glad he said to Eva one night way back that they 'deserve ..... after what they've been through.' That's so good for him to recognize.

To Sharonm and Kristen

my most heartfelt THANK YOU for sharing your info with us.  

Re- re- re- rereading the Crossfire Books is more and more of an experience!!!! :wub:

I know I started reading again with my notes in hand.  I'm adding comments in the nook to pull things together.  I would love to ask Sylvia more questions. 

Sharon, thank you for the wonderful - and detailed! - reports!

Re: Oedipus: Corrine (Cor-INN or Cor-EEN?) is surprised when she meets Eva, because Eva doesn't look like her.  Gideon is perplexed.  He tells Eva that if he was picking women who looked like Corrine, he didn't realize it.

I think it's more likely he was picking women who look like his mother.  He claims he wasn't looking for love and he certainly wasn't going about his personal relationships as though he were seeking a deep, abiding, intimate connection with a woman (segregating the women he is friends with from the ones he sleeps with, not allowing women into his home, rarely having sex with his hook-ups, etc.).  I think he was protecting himself from further rejection (from women who remind him subconciously of his mother) while subconciously seeking love and affirmation from women who remind him of his mother.

His mother didn't love him enough (his words) and as an adult he's still trying to fill that void. 

I'm *very* curious to learn the backstory about what's she's done to/with his friends, though.  Gideon's parting line to his mother at the end of the garden party was fascinating.  Has she slept with his friends in the past? Gotten too close to them to try to get closer to him?  And did that prompt Gideon to draw a line in the sand: these are my friends and you're not allowed to ___ with them?

I think these are questions we all want answered.  I feel confident that Sylvia will hit most of them in the next two books.  She must get these questions all the time.

I hope she comes back to Florida after the next book

Hi Sheena

That's what I was saying.

He wants Eva to need him. He wants to be wanted, he needs to be needed. His parents left him feeling unloved, and unwanted. That's part of the crux of his problem. The little boy in him feels like he doesn't belong. He needs and wants Eva to need and want him. Simple.

Perfectly expressed!

Hi Sharon, 

What you said makes so much sense!  I am so glad that you had the opportunity to go to one of these events.  Thank you, thank you, thank you! 

It never occurred to me that Eva would continue to have a need to self destruct.  I am glad in a way that Brett might be key in helping her end this and finally laying this ghost to rest (if I have understood what you said correctly).  :)

I'm not sure if Brett is going to help her directly or indirectly.  I'm anxious to see how this plays out.  I'm still hoping that Eva uses her Krav Maga skills on Brett and that is how she puts him out of her system. 

Hi Gigi

I think Gideon finds it hard to accept Eva's love, because, the two people who should have loved him left him alone. His dads suicide, and his mums abandonment.

His hurt, feeling unloved and alone, has caused him to build a wall around himself, so he won't ever feel like this again.

His desperate need and love for Eva, has caused him to lose his precious control, feelings that were alien to him have broken through that barrier. Every time she ran, leaving him, probably reminded him of his childhood, being alone again.

Now he has experienced these feelings, he doesn't want to let them go, afraid to let them go, but it is causing him an internal struggle.

Eva makes him feel alive, but his control has gone.

AND ADD THE FACT that because of his abuse, he has a viscous sleep disorder that has caused him to keep his distance. This is actually his first true relationship. He was afraid to get involved with anyone because he couldn't let them see his vulnerable side at night. Sigh.

I'm going to go through the thread and answer whatever questions I can that Sharon hasn't already. I did ask her this specific question and she said she's not sure exactly since she is only about halfway through the story, but I'm not expecting a big jump in time, since she is sticking to the format the other books have had.

Thanks.

I was thinking maybe there would be a jump in time for the last book. Ya know to include their second wedding. 

Agree-it definitely has to be Friday because that's when Eva and Cary leave for SD. Dreading that whole scene!

I agree, it will be the Friday morning before they leave and we know that Gideon will not be happy about his wife going without him, he may insist that Eva keeps her ring on to show everyone she is "engaged", I think if Gideon does not go he will be lost without her, look at what he was like when Eva was in Vegas ;)

Great explanation of Gideon's personality and why he does what he does!  The next time I read the books I will keep that in mind.   

It is kind of sad to think that Gideon equates his love for Eva with a loss of control.  Love is supposed to set a person free; make them stronger, braver then they ever thought that they could be.  Has Gideon really accepted Eva's love?

I think it is setting Gideon free  and he is getting stronger.  I think Gideon is just having a hard time adjusting and learning how to act with the one you love.  He definitely accepts Eva's love I go back to the conversation in the car after Eva stops by Lucas' office.  "Because of you, the world makes sense to me in a way it didn't before.  I have a place now, with you."  

I think it is setting Gideon free  and he is getting stronger.  I think Gideon is just having a hard time adjusting and learning how to act with the one you love.  He definitely accepts Eva's love I go back to the conversation in the car after Eva stops by Lucas' office.  "Because of you, the world makes sense to me in a way it didn't before.  I have a place now, with you."  

I loved that part...!!!  :)

Sharon I think you felt better because you realize that Sylvia loves these two as much as we do. :)

Sylvia said she had to get Eva to a healthy place... strong so she could help Gideon deal with his issues. I also didn't get the sense that these two would be cheating. Eva does get herself into situations that aren't wonderful, but part of her healing is that she is able to walkaway without it becoming more so to speak. Old Eva would spread her legs or open her mouth for a man so she could feel loved. Even if it was only for mere minutes. New Eva realizes that she has to have more self respect. Dr. Travis helped her with a lot, but Gideon certainly has cemented that for her.  She might still find Brett attractive, but she is no longer seeking validation through random sexual experiences. It's been a long road, but Eva finally knows she is worthy of so much more then a quick f*ck.

Thanks for that Kirsten :)

Oh I so loved the way that you have said this, it does wake sense!!  I read an interview that she did and she said this....

"The first 2.5 Crossfire novels were Eva’s story. By the mid-point of Entwined with You, she’s in a good place. Her skeletons are out of the closet, she’s confronted the issues that have plagued her, and she’s made a powerful commitment to support Gideon. That opens the door to the last 2.5 novels being able to focus on Gideon’s story. He really needed her to be strong and stable in order to anchor him through his own healing, and we’re finally there."

Kind of goes with what you say.   :)

Thanks.

I was thinking maybe there would be a jump in time for the last book. Ya know to include their second wedding. 

I thought that as well, the only thing I would like a jump in time is at the Epilogue to see Gid/Eva with a child of their own to make their own family complete and an even better HEA for both of them :wub:

Hi MicheleWV, 

You make really good points.  I always come back to whether Gideon has allowed Eva's love for him to sink down into his soul or whether he is still fighting the concept of love? 

You are so right; out of the two of them, Eva is far more emotionally mature when it comes to love then Gideon.  In some strange way, they are really good for one another.  They don't seem to have the same dysfunction and as such, they can see past their own foibles and help one another get through each other's issues.  They have a really complex dynamic going on. Do you know what I mean?

Well Eva has always had people who love her and she knows they love her, Victor, Cary and Monica.  Eva never doubts any of their love even when they show it badly (Monica).  Gideon hasn't felt love since he was five.  He is learning how to love and be loved.  I remember back to a conversation with Eva where he said he thought he was happy.  He didn't even realize there was anything missing in his life.  I'm sure that is because he consciously blocked out that need.  He can't block it with Eva he has to embrace what they have and it is hard for him.

Well Eva has always had people who love her and she knows they love her, Victor, Cary and Monica.  Eva never doubts any of their love even when they show it badly (Monica).  Gideon hasn't felt love since he was five.  He is learning how to love and be loved.  I remember back to a conversation with Eva where he said he thought he was happy.  He didn't even realize there was anything missing in his life.  I'm sure that is because he consciously blocked out that need.  He can't block it with Eva he has to embrace what they have and it is hard for him.

Hmmmmm :)

True :(

Question, did Sylvia advise how much time the next two books would cover. I would really like to know! I feel like they will need to skip over a few months at least. Especially for the big wedding!

No that was one of my questions that I didn't get to ask.  There were so many people asking questions and not all were about Crossfire...can you imagine?