One Chapter A Day - Re-Read Of Bared and Entwined

LN Cronan

Christopher was only five years old, just a little boy. Gideon was ten or eleven at the time, on the threshold between boy and teenager. Pedophiles often have a preferred "type" including gender and age bracket. Obviously, Gideon, not Christopher, was the pervert's "type."

Thanks LN, it was just that quote in the book from Gideon's mum that always got me wondering if Chris Jnr was in the room as well 

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chapter A Day Re-Read Project  - Chapter Twenty One of Bared to You

This chapter continues Wednesday evening (day 17)

Key plot developments:

• Eva, angry Gideon lied about who Corrine really was, told him she was leaving. He got mad because he thought Eva was over-reacting.
  • He took her out to the limo to try to settle the matter by making love to her, his way of reassuring her she's the only woman he wants.
  • But when they returned to the fundraiser, Gideon made matters worse by ignoring her in favor of Corrine. Then he tried to order Eva around when she decided to go for an after dinner drink with Dr. Terry Lucas.
  • Fed up, Eva pulled a runner,  arriving home unexpectedly to a sex orgy Cary was hosting, thinking she wasn't coming home at all that night.
  • Gideon came after Eva, and he finally did the right thing by being honest with Eva. He told her the true nature of his past with Corrine.

I have looked for EWY on Itunes to pre-order for the Audio book but it is not listed yet :(

It is available for pre-order on audible.com -- which is owned by Amazon, by the way.

I prefer audible over iTunes for many reasons - larger selection, better prices (if one becomes a member) and greater versatility with the computer download. And audible DOES work on iPods. Don't fall for the mistaken believe that because your MP3 player is an iPod that you must buy all your music and audiobooks from iTunes alone. I buy all mine from audible and Amazon.

It is available for pre-order on audible.com -- which is owned by Amazon, by the way.

I prefer audible over iTunes for many reasons - larger selection, better prices (if one becomes a member) and greater versatility with the computer download. And audible DOES work on iPods. Don't fall for the mistaken believe that because your MP3 player is an iPod that you must buy all your music and audiobooks from iTunes alone. I buy all mine from audible and Amazon.

Thanks for that. I'm a bit new to this game. Bit of a computerphobe!

*thank you, LN Cronan for the"yo-you" pattern*

Chapter 20

My Favorites

1. line: "Yes, but I'm the only one who's supposed to be seeing, since I'm the only one who's allowed to be getting." (p. 306)

2. paragraph: The mask slipped smoothly into place. His irises chilled to an icy blue and his sensual mouth lost any hint of curve. I could almost feel the force of his will enclosing us. There was a shield between us and the rest of the world simply because he wished it to be there. Standing beside him, I knew no one would approach or speak to me until he gave them some sign that they could (p. 307)

3. scene: Martin's conversation with Eva (I'd love to see Martin again, Sylvia)

Chapter 21

My Favorites

1. line: I am home (p. 325)

2. paragraph: And yet I understood the alienation of being around others who couldn't really see you or chose not to. I'd felt the self-loathing that came with being a fraud, portraying an image of what you wished you could be but weren't. I'd lived with the fear that the people you loved might turn away from you if they ever got to know the true person hidden inside (p. 326)

3. scene: Gideon rubbing Eva's raccoon eyes

Peruse away, ladies

My favorite line in chapter 21

Gideon to Eva in the back of the limo: "I wish you knew what you do to me. I wish I could tell you." (page 319).

Not happy that Eva pulled another one of her runners, but pleased she called Gideon on his s*** right to his face (and Corrine's) by agreeing Dr. Lucas had a point - Gideon had spent all dinner totally focused on Corrine and completely ignoring Eva. And I like that Eva calmly walked away from all three of them - the bickering two men and the trouble-making brunette. Gideon did NOT have any right to order Eva around -- and she was right to finally get fed up with Gideon that night.

I only wish Eva had ordered Gideon to come with her so that the pair of them could have a private "word" together. Gideon's answer to everything was to try to use sex to soothe Eva. What he needed was some real communication -- and at that moment, one h*** of a chewing out for having screwed up big time.

Favourite lines.

"I think I loved you the moment I saw you. Then we made love that first time in the limo and it became something else. Something more"

Favourite paragraph.

"Until you, I didn't consider my past an issue. Yes, it affected certain ways I did things, but everything had it's place and I wasn't unhappy. In fact, I thought I had a comfortable and uncomplicated life"

"Oh boy." My nose wrinkled. "Hello, Mr .Comfortable. I'm Miss Complicated."

His grin flashed. "Never a dull moment."

Scene

Walking away from Gideon and Lucas after using her safeword.

Favourite lines.

"I think I loved you the moment I saw you. Then we made love that first time in the limo and it became something else. Something more"

Favourite paragraph.

"Until you, I didn't consider my past an issue. Yes, it affected certain ways I did things, but everything had it's place and I wasn't unhappy. In fact, I thought I had a comfortable and uncomplicated life"

"Oh boy." My nose wrinkled. "Hello, Mr .Comfortable. I'm Miss Complicated."

His grin flashed. "Never a dull moment."

Scene

Walking away from Gideon and Lucas after using her safeword.

Do you think Gideon ever wonders what his life would be like if he hadn't met Eva ? I mean, he said he wasn't unhappy . I think after Eva confessed her past to him it brought his own past to the forefront , out of the box where he had it hidden. Sometimes that can be a good or a bad thing. What do you all think? I guess what you don't know can't hurt you applies...he never knew what it was like to have that level of sexual experience aka making love but now that he knows it certainly can and has hurt him...

Gideon to Eva in the back of the limo: "I wish you knew what you do to me. I wish I could tell you." (page 319).

Not happy that Eva pulled another one of her runners, but pleased she called Gideon on his s*** right to his face (and Corrine's) by agreeing Dr. Lucas had a point - Gideon had spent all dinner totally focused on Corrine and completely ignoring Eva. And I like that Eva calmly walked away from all three of them - the bickering two men and the trouble-making brunette. Gideon did NOT have any right to order Eva around -- and she was right to finally get fed up with Gideon that night.

I only wish Eva had ordered Gideon to come with her so that the pair of them could have a private "word" together. Gideon's answer to everything was to try to use sex to soothe Eva. What he needed was some real communication -- and at that moment, one h*** of a chewing out for having screwed up big time.

Right on LN but then again Gideon knows his strengths; communication isn't one of them but fu$$ing is!!!LOL

Do you think Gideon ever wonders what his life would be like if he hadn't met Eva ? I mean, he said he wasn't unhappy . I think after Eva confessed her past to him it brought his own past to the forefront , out of the box where he had it hidden. Sometimes that can be a good or a bad thing. What do you all think? I guess what you don't know can't hurt you applies...he never knew what it was like to have that level of sexual experience aka making love but now that he knows it certainly can and has hurt him...

I listened to RIY last night. The scene where Brett kisses Eva. Then the limo ride-to listen to it is shocking!-to NC. Eva herself says, Gideons life is spiralling out of control because of her. She is in fact right. Ending in him becoming a murderer.

I listened to RIY last night. The scene where Brett kisses Eva. Then the limo ride-to listen to it is shocking!-to NC. Eva herself says, Gideons life is spiralling out of control because of her. She is in fact right. Ending in him becoming a murderer.

He'd resumed spiraling out of control again near the end of Reflected -- two days in a row, he did a very dangerous thing by approaching Eva in front of witnesses, including having lengthy contact with her the second day.

His whole stupid plan of pushing her away was insane to begin with, but he ought to have come out and asked her for a "break" in the relationship. Barring that, he ought to have cut off all contact as soon as he killed Nathan. He at last figured out he needed to by the weekend, because Detective Graves was already starting to suspect he still was in love with Eva.

For eight days, he managed to control himself, whatever the agony to himself. He had absolutely no contact whatsoever. But then the specter of Brett declaring publicly he and Eva had reconnected and he planned to woo her sent Gideon into a panic. He changed his tune from "trust me" to "wait."

I wonder whether the cop who spotted the pair of them looking practically indecent in the front seat of his Mercedes Tuesday morning ran the license plate -- and thus that tender-looked-like-sexual contact got back to Graves. Perhaps that's what triggered Graves approaching Eva on Wednesday evening, setting in motion Graves' plan to undo the lie Gideon left Eva.

He'd resumed spiraling out of control again near the end of Reflected -- two days in a row, he did a very dangerous thing by approaching Eva in front of witnesses, including having lengthy contact with her the second day.

His whole stupid plan of pushing her away was insane to begin with, but he ought to have come out and asked her for a "break" in the relationship. Barring that, he ought to have cut off all contact as soon as he killed Nathan. He at last figured out he needed to by the weekend, because Detective Graves was already starting to suspect he still was in love with Eva.

For eight days, he managed to control himself, whatever the agony to himself. He had absolutely no contact whatsoever. But then the specter of Brett declaring publicly he and Eva had reconnected and he planned to woo her sent Gideon into a panic. He changed his tune from "trust me" to "wait."

I wonder whether the cop who spotted the pair of them looking practically indecent in the front seat of his Mercedes Tuesday morning ran the license plate -- and thus that tender-looked-like-sexual contact got back to Graves. Perhaps that's what triggered Graves approaching Eva on Wednesday evening, setting in motion Graves' plan to undo the lie Gideon left Eva.

I'm not sure the officer would run the plates.  It was pouring down ran and I suspect he wanted them to just move on so traffic would flow.  The patrol cops that I know would let that slide but then again, they aren't NYC cops. 

Sadly this ^^^^ is so true Julie...

Sadly this ^^^^ is so true Julie...

Yes he can be an a*se, but I think we need to cut this man a bit of slack, like I suggested in my post this morning. He could have walked away, the afternoon in his office, when he said Eva was trouble. Yes he was responsible for Nathan finding her because of the media coverage. Could this have happened though, through the publicity the Cary attracted? Nathan I think would have found Eva one day. :(

I'm not sure the officer would run the plates.  It was pouring down ran and I suspect he wanted them to just move on so traffic would flow.  The patrol cops that I know would let that slide but then again, they aren't NYC cops. 

Actually, the cop wanted to cite them for public indecency, based on Eva straddling Gideon's lap, Gideon running his hands all over Eva, the pair of them visible through the windshield (they were in the driver's seat). They were pulled over, not blocking traffic. The cop let them off with a warning instead - telling them to knock it off and move on. (Page 321). The cop may have run the license plate.

Actually, the cop wanted to cite them for public indecency, based on Eva straddling Gideon's lap, Gideon running his hands all over Eva, the pair of them visible through the windshield (they were in the driver's seat). They were pulled over, not blocking traffic. The cop let them off with a warning instead - telling them to knock it off and move on. (Page 321). The cop may have run the license plate.

Dear god, this hole they are digging is getting deeper and deeper!!!!

I remember I'm just thinking that he cut them some slack because of the rain.  They were dressed.  I'm sure there is more to it but I hope not.

Symptoms of a sociopath

1. Charming

2. Spontaneous and intense

3. Incapable of shame, remorse and guilt

4. Lies about experiences

5. Seeks to dominate and has to win at all costs

6. Highly intelligent

7. Incapable of love

8. Never apologises

9. Delusional and literally believes what they say

Apparently Charles Manson was one.

I don't think Gideon is a sociopath, one or two apply to him, but that can be said of the entire population.

I think Dr Lucas needs to go back to med school.

Could Chris Vidal jnr be a sociopath, how many of these traits does he possess? Hmmmmm

I'm thinking Christopher may have narcissistic personality disorder:

A.D.A.M. Medical Encyclopedia.

Narcissistic personality disorder

Narcissistic personality disorder is a condition in which people have an excessive sense of self-importance, an extreme preoccupation with themselves, and lack of empathy for others.

Causes, incidence, and risk factors

Cause of this disorder is unknown. Early life experiences, such as particularly insensitive parenting, are thought to play a role in the development of this disorder.

Symptoms

A person with narcissistic personality disorder may:

• React to criticism with rage, shame, or humiliation
  • Take advantage of other people to achieve his or her own goals
  • Have excessive feelings of self-importance
  • Exaggerate achievements and talents
  • Be preoccupied with fantasies of success, power, beauty, intelligence, or ideal love
  • Have unreasonable expectations of favorable treatment
  • Need constant attention and admiration
  • Disregard the feelings of others, and have little ability to feel empathy
  • Have obsessive self-interest
  • Pursue mainly selfish goals

I just tweeted this to SD..! I love that line to..!

GOOD AFTERNOON EVERYBODY!!

My favourite moments in Chap. 21 are:

1)"Don't move, Eva." I shivered at the ice in Gedeon's voice but felt stung enough to say,

"It's not his fault he has a point." Gedeon's grip tightened painfully. "Not now."

Terry's gaze moved to my face. "You don't have to tolerate him talking to you that way. All the money in the world doesn't give anyone the right to order you around."

Infuriated and horribly embarassed I looked at Gedeon. "Crossfire."....... I shoved my chair back and threw my napkin onto my plate. "Excuse me. Both of you."

2) "You forget who submits, Eva," he said gruffily. "I've given up control for you. I've bent and adjusted for you. I'll do anything to keep you and make you happy. But I won't be tamed or topped. Don't mistake indulgence for weakness."