One Chapter A Day - Re-Read Of Bared and Entwined

LN Cronan

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Chapter One of Entwined, he tells Eva that if she's now too afraid of him, because he had killed for her, then Gideon won't chase her anymore. Though it would kill him to face a future without her in it, he'd still set her free rather than have her live her life in fear of him. This showed how deep his love truly is -- and the fact she still wants him in her life showed how much she loves him too.

In Chapter One of Entwined, he tells Eva that if she's now too afraid of him, because he had killed for her, then Gideon won't chase her anymore. Though it would kill him to face a future without her in it, he'd still set her free rather than have her live her life in fear of him. This showed how deep his love truly is -- and the fact she still wants him in her life showed how much she loves him too.

This is a good turn in their relationship on both sides. They both need, want, and love each other, so much that nothing can come between them. (Hopefully). :)

Some new things I took away from yesterday's re-read of the last chapter of Bared to You:

Gideon knows full well that Corrine is in love with him, has always been in love with him, and that her holding a torch for him is what wrecked her marriage

I'll bet Gideon actually "got it" when Eva explained to him that women do really crazy things over him: Corrine stalking him, Magdalene efforts to try to make herself physically resemble Corrine.

Gideon may have been clueless before, but he does pay close attention to Eva. I'll bet that after she had that frank talk with him, he began paying closer attention to his interactions with Corrine.

So he's got to know Corrine is deluding herself into thinking he's taken her back. Most especially because it's my theory he is NOT telling Corrine she's only a friend to him. Too much is riding on the lie he went back to Corrine. And Gideon has a history of lying by omission. 

Thus how is he currently handling the guilt he must be feeling, knowing he is further wrecking Corrine's life? Knowing that sooner or later he's going to have to kick her out of his life forever, and that could come close to destroying her?

Gideon still squirms in guilt over what he did to Anne Lucas. Perhaps some of his guilt over Corrine will be tempered by anger Corrine cruelly treated Eva.  But no matter now mad he might be at Corrine for the stunts she'd pulled that hurt Eva very much, Gideon still must feel awful that his using Corrine is downright cruel too.

Hello, ladies

RIY Chapter 1

My Favorites:

1. line: It's what you see in me, angel (p.15)

2. paragraph: "I saw that." His hands slid up either side of my spine. "And I knew you saw me, too. Saw what I am ... what I have inside me. You saw right through me." (p.13)

3. scene: Eva looking at Gideon from behind in his home office

Since it's still relevant, I re-post my wild speculation about Gideon-saw-Eva moment:

Chapter 1

1. My favorites

line: Coffee is one of my major food groups (p. 15)

paragraph: As he stared back, he altered... as if a shield slid away from his eyes, revealing a scorching force of will that sucked the air from my lungs. The intense  magnetism he exuded grew in strength, becoming a near-tangible impression of vibrant and unrelenting power (p. 5)

scene: Eva sprawled in front of Gideon.

2. The main thing that captured my attention was the invisible magnetic pull and the tangibly electric chemistry between GidEva (Gideon and Eva). It's irrational, but well acknowledged by the two of them.

3. Despite the fact that Eva's a sexy stunning woman, I believe it's her emotions and gestures that struck Gideon the most. She's pleased when she reached the

Crossfire building then she made that very move: tilting her head back and looking up at the building. I'm guessing here, but I think it had something to do with Gideon's childhood. To some extent, the way she felt and did the ordinary deeds subconsciously triggered a long-time-suppressed memory of Gideon's. It's similar with the way he used to feel and do towards his late father. He kinda had a flashback, as if he saw himself as a child in Eva without her even knowing that she's mirroring little Gideon. *Can you imagine a scene of a young dark-haired Gideon's pleased face followed by the tipping-his-tiny-head-back movement in order to look up at his towering father?*

Perhaps this will help explain my way of thinking:

Eva (pleased+tilting her head back) looking up at the Crossfire Building (Gideon's words: with excitement, a little awe, and a little intimidation): from her point of view, the building is impressive.

little Gideon (pleased+tilting his head back) looking up at Geoffrey Cross (my guess: with excitement, a little awe, and a little intimidation): from his point of view, his father is incredible (if not the best).

I assumed it took only a split second for Gideon to consciously shove the dim memory back to its hidden place and let his current imagination preoccupy his head. The latter's shown in RIY p. 13.

It does seem like a wild speculation, but that's how I try to rationalize the Gideon-saw-Eva moment.

XOXO

Favourite paragraph

Eva

"I still have no idea what you see in me that's hooked you"

Gideon

"It's what you see in me, angel," he said quietly, his features softening. " that you can know what I have in me and still want me as much as I want you. I go to sleep every night afraid I'll wake up and you'll be gone. Or that I scared you away.....that I dreamed you..."

.no Gideon ." Jesus. He broke my heart every day. Shattered me.

"I know I don't tell you how I feel about you in the same way you tell me, but you have me. You know that."

Oh Gideon. :) :(

In that excellent interview Sylvia gave last night, she explained how her characters come into her head fully formed. And she had some interesting things to say about Corrine when the interview got into the fact that there's widespread hate of Corrine among the fandom.

Corrine isn't the sweet person some of her defenders have claimed she is -- Sylvia herself said that on one hand, Corrine is one of those "catty b***** you always hate"  and that Sylvia disapproved of Corrine's methods (i.e. to get Gideon back). But Sylvia was sympathetic to the fact that what's driven Corrine to do the things she has is that Corrine is love with Gideon .... and that she had been so close to having him all those years ago, before he slipped through her fingers.

Sylvia joked she hopes that Corrine can find happiness somewhere else before we fans "kill her off."

Some new things I took away from yesterday's re-read of the last chapter of Bared to You:

Gideon knows full well that Corrine is in love with him, has always been in love with him, and that her holding a torch for him is what wrecked her marriage

I'll bet Gideon actually "got it" when Eva explained to him that women do really crazy things over him: Corrine stalking him, Magdalene efforts to try to make herself physically resemble Corrine.

Gideon may have been clueless before, but he does pay close attention to Eva. I'll bet that after she had that frank talk with him, he began paying closer attention to his interactions with Corrine.

So he's got to know Corrine is deluding herself into thinking he's taken her back. Most especially because it's my theory he is NOT telling Corrine she's only a friend to him. Too much is riding on the lie he went back to Corrine. And Gideon has a history of lying by omission.

Thus how is he currently handling the guilt he must be feeling, knowing he is further wrecking Corrine's life? Knowing that sooner or later he's going to have to kick her out of his life forever, and that could come close to destroying her?

Gideon still squirms in guilt over what he did to Anne Lucas. Perhaps some of his guilt over Corrine will be tempered by anger Corrine cruelly treated Eva. But no matter now mad he might be at Corrine for the stunts she'd pulled that hurt Eva very much, Gideon still must feel awful that his using Corrine is downright cruel too.

LN I go back and forth on Gideon telling Corrine what's going on. I know he's NEVER telling her the truth, and would like to think that he is just lying by omission. The big but comes for me in the form if Eva. I feel like Eva is usually pretty intuitive when it comes to Gideon, and when she confronts Corrine that day at her apartment Eva says, "I know him. I don't always understand him, but that's a different story. I know he would've told you upfront that you and he weren't going anywhere, because he wouldn't want to lead you on. He hurt you before; he won't do it again."

LN I go back and forth on Gideon telling Corrine what's going on. I know he's NEVER telling her the truth, and would like to think that he is just lying by omission. The big but comes for me in the form if Eva. I feel like Eva is usually pretty intuitive when it comes to Gideon, and when she confronts Corrine that day at her apartment Eva says, "I know him. I don't always understand him, but that's a different story. I know he would've told you upfront that you and he weren't going anywhere, because he wouldn't want to lead you on. He hurt you before; he won't do it again."

True, Eva did say that .... but that's before Eva figured out Gideon deliberately hurt her (Eva) by manipulating her love for him. When Eva faced Corrine, Eva probably thought Gideon was on another one of his head trips and that's why Gideon had pushed her away. He's done it before, from pushing her away the night they made love for the first time to pushing her away for four days over his nightmares. Now Eva knows the truth of what Gideon did was far darker, far worse than simply being confused. He was deliberate.

Gideon still squirms in guilt over what he did to Anne Lucas. Perhaps some of his guilt over Corrine will be tempered by anger Corrine cruelly treated Eva.  But no matter now mad he might be at Corrine for the stunts she'd pulled that hurt Eva very much, Gideon still must feel awful that his using Corrine is downright cruel too.

I'm sure he does feel guilty about using her. However i do think he was upfront with her about just being friends. When Eva confronts Corrine at the end of RIY she tells Corrine that she knows Gideon would have been upfront with her. I could be wrong but i think Eva is right. Of course he's not shutting down Corrine's hope that he will change his mind but he needs her for his alibi. 

Yes soooo true :)

I'm sure he does feel guilty about using her. However i do think he was upfront with her about just being friends. When Eva confronts Corrine at the end of RIY she tells Corrine that she knows Gideon would have been upfront with her. I could be wrong but i think Eva is right. Of course he's not shutting down Corrine's hope that he will change his mind but he needs her for his alibi.

Then maybe Gideon was the one to initiate the contact with Giroux to set the record straight about Corinne because of the guilt he feels for using her...

In that excellent interview Sylvia gave last night, she explained how her characters come into her head fully formed. And she had some interesting things to say about Corrine when the interview got into the fact that there's widespread hate of Corrine among the fandom.

Corrine isn't the sweet person some of her defenders have claimed she is -- Sylvia herself said that on one hand, Corrine is one of those "catty b***** you always hate"  and that Sylvia disapproved of Corrine's methods (i.e. to get Gideon back). But Sylvia was sympathetic to the fact that what's driven Corrine to do the things she has is that Corrine is love with Gideon .... and that she had been so close to having him all those years ago, before he slipped through her fingers.

Sylvia joked she hopes that Corrine can find happiness somewhere else before we fans "kill her off."

That was one of my favorite parts of the chat last night. lol

j

True, Eva did say that .... but that's before Eva figured out Gideon deliberately hurt her (Eva) by manipulating her love for him. When Eva faced Corrine, Eva probably thought Gideon was on another one of his head trips and that's why Gideon had pushed her away. He's done it before, from pushing her away the night they made love for the first time to pushing her away for four days over his nightmares. Now Eva knows the truth of what Gideon did was far darker, far worse than simply being confused. He was deliberate.

Even though Gideon intentionally misled Eva I don't think he went out with Corinne without telling her they didn't have a future together.  I'm not sure how he explained it to her but he did.  I think Corinne decided to be his +1 and try to work on him to change his mind.  I think she feels if she can spend time with Gideon she can get him back in the sack and then back in his heart.  Unfortunately she doesn't know how strong a hold Eva has on Gideon.

j

Even though Gideon intentionally misled Eva I don't think he went out with Corinne without telling her they didn't have a future together.  I'm not sure how he explained it to her but he did.  I think Corinne decided to be his +1 and try to work on him to change his mind.  I think she feels if she can spend time with Gideon she can get him back in the sack and then back in his heart.  Unfortunately she doesn't know how strong a hold Eva has on Gideon.

Excellent point -- and ironic, because from the night Eva met her, she'd been firmly convinced Corrine had some sort of unbreakable hold on him, hence his brunette fixation.

Favourite paragraph

Eva

"I still have no idea what you see in me that's hooked you"

Gideon

"It's what you see in me, angel," he said quietly, his features softening. " that you can know what I have in me and still want me as much as I want you. I go to sleep every night afraid I'll wake up and you'll be gone. Or that I scared you away.....that I dreamed you..."

.no Gideon ." Jesus. He broke my heart every day. Shattered me.

"I know I don't tell you how I feel about you in the same way you tell me, but you have me. You know that."

Oh Gideon. :):(

Love this Julie.

Chapter Twenty Two of Bared to You - The Readers Guide

This chapter continues Wednesday evening (day 17) and is the final day of the Bared to You portion of the story. Reflected in You opens the following morning (day 18)

Key plot developments:

• In the prior chapter, Gideon discussed his past history with Corrine. In this chapter, he and Eva discussed his current connection to Corrine.
  • Eva realized she needs to deal with her out-of-control best friend, Cary, but Gideon convinced her it would be better to wait until the next day to start talking sense into Cary.
  • The novel ended with Eva learning she and Gideon literally have a key to one another.  

New characters

None in this chapter

Gideon's point of view regarding Corrine

Gideon feels guilty about the fact Corrine is still in love with him.  He senses she never got over him after their engagement ended years ago.  He blames himself for being the cause of Corrine's marriage falling apart - her husband finally figured out Corrine didn't love him (the husband) back.

Contrary to what Corrine claimed to Eva, Gideon does not, in fact, talk to Corrine on the phone every day. He's too busy -- especially now that so much of his time is spent with Eva.

Gideon refused, however, to agree to Eva's demand that he start weaning Corrine off. "She's a friend, Eva, and she's in a rough spot. It's a cruel time to cut her off." (page 332)

Eva's point of view regarding Corrine

Despite everything Gideon told Eva about the true nature of his long-finished romantic relationship with Corrine, Eva admitted she's still going to have a problem with Corrine (i.e. Corrine is still in love with him, and Eva is insecure/jealous about the situation period.)

The fact Corrine has been calling Gideon daily especially bothers Eva -- Eva thinks Corrine is stalking him, and she told Gideon as much, that the situation is nuts.

Because Gideon still refused to agree to cut off Corrine, Eva threatened him about setting a precedent for dealing with exes -- because Eva has exes of her own.  That made the possessive Gideon bristle.

What to do about Cary

Eva's been dismayed by Cary's sex life spiraling out of control over the past two-plus weeks. He'd gone from starting a stable new relationship with a nice guy (Trey) to cheating on Trey by sleeping with a friends-with-benefits woman (and Trey caught the two of them in bed together.) Now Cary had an orgy in his/Eva's living room, him drunk, another guy high on drugs, and two women .... well, who knows about them.

In the prior chapter, both Eva and Gideon had gotten angry at Cary -- Eva angry because Cary is continuing to screw up his new relationship and Gideon angry because Cary had some drugged-up guy in the apartment. Things ended with Cary storming off to his room.

In this final chapter, Eva explained she's been down this road before with Cary (i.e. life in crisis) and Cary needs her. Eva doesn't want to simply go to Gideon's until Cary snaps out of it - Cary needs her.

Surprisingly, Gideon agrees. But he convinced Eva to wait until the next day to confront Cary. Meanwhile, for safety reasons, Gideon insists they sleep at his place instead of Eva's that night.

How things wrap up

Downstairs, Gideon and Eva climbed into his car and are ready to leave when Gideon realizes he left something upstairs (Sylvia later told us it was Gideon's bottle of newly-prescribed sleep medication).

Gideon being able to run back upstairs himself, instead of Eva needing to let him in, revealed that he'd made himself a copy of her apartment key the first time she lent it to him -- and he held onto that copy even during the four days they were apart.

Equally as significant, even when he'd done the knee-jerk reaction of breaking up with her (over the nightmares) and had returned her keys with the Dear Jane note he'd sent, he'd left on her keychain a copy of his own apartment key he'd made for her.

So she realized they each literally have the key to one another and did so even when they were apart.

Fade to black ....

The group re-read project starts in on Reflected in You today.

LN thanks for doing this summary everyday, I really appreciate it, and I know many others do too.

Bless him. In this opening chapter, Gideon makes a comment to Eva, revealing his insecurities about her fancying another man.

"What I want, is you being too busy thinking about me to think about anyone else."

What we have here, is a man who comes across as confident, strong, masculine, and can have his pick of virtually any woman on the planet. When in reality, he is a scared, insecure abandoned boy, who needs guidance, and reassurance that he is loved.

Bless him. In this opening chapter, Gideon makes a comment to Eva, revealing his insecurities about her fancying another man.

"What I want, is you being too busy thinking about me to think about anyone else."

What we have here, is a man who comes across as confident, strong, masculine, and can have his pick of virtually any woman on the planet. When in reality, he is a scared, insecure abandoned boy, who needs guidance, and reassurance that he is loved.

You are spot on Julie.

Looks like that NYC event with Sylvia will go up on Eventbrite..

I'm working hard on finalizing the details of the June 5th NYC event. Still planning on posting tickets today! :)

Here was the info from last week:
For those of you waiting on the NYC event information, SAVE THE DATE! June 5, in Manhattan, 6:30-8:30 PM, $30 (includes autographed copy of ENTWINED WITH YOU, tote bag, T-shirt, swag, drinks, and more!). Registration will be open to the first 200 attendees and will be managed via Eventbrite. Hope you can make it!

HELLO LADIES!

here are my favourite lines in Chap. 1 of Reflected:

1) Oddities coexisted with priceless rarities.

2) The multibody tangle I'd found in my living room gave new meaning to the word clusterf***.

3) "I'd kill for you," he whispered, "give up everything I own for you... but I won't give you up."

4) That he would consider it worthwhile to lose his peace of mind just to keep me meant more than the words I love you.

I love the part in the chapter, when Eva recalls meeting Gideon for the first time. Assuming it was inside the Crossfire Building. Eva "Sprawled on my Arse on the lobby floor of the Crossfire Building?"

Gideon telling her it was outside, while in his car, leaving for the day.

"You hit me the instant I saw you."

"I couldn't look away. I wanted you immediately. Excessively. Almost violently."

She seemed surprised that a man would actually go out of his way to follow her. Make an effort to make some sort of contact. I bet it did her self esteem a power of good. You've got it girl!