One Chapter A Day - Re-Read Of Bared and Entwined

LN Cronan

Hello, ladies

Chapter 22

1. My favorites

line: Except for the one I want who spends a lot of time running in the opposite direction (p. 331)

paragraph: "Think carefully, Gideon. I have exes in my past, too. You're setting the precedent now for how I'll handle them. I'm taking my cues from you." (p. 333)

scene: Gideon preparing Eva's clothes

2. When I read this chapter, the one question that popped up in my mind was "What did Gideon actually forget?"

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello, ladies

Chapter 22

1. My favorites

line: Except for the one I want who spends a lot of time running in the opposite direction (p. 331)

paragraph: "Think carefully, Gideon. I have exes in my past, too. You're setting the precedent now for how I'll handle them. I'm taking my cues from you." (p. 333)

scene: Gideon preparing Eva's clothes

2. When I read this chapter, the one question that popped up in my mind was "What did Gideon actually forget?"

He'd left his sleep medication upstairs -- Dr. Petersen had prescribed it the day before (Tuesday) and Gideon had stayed over Tuesday night, so his bottle of meds was still upstairs in her apartment.

*finally finished reading BTY together with you all, ladies*

I'd like to share what I have in mind with you (and Sylvia) about the characters in BTY:

1. GidEva (Gideon and Eva)

I expect to see less clueless mega mogul Gideon and hope to get more love struck Alpha male Gideon *wink* As for Eva, I want her to transform slowly into a rock-solid Eva, not only as a girlfriend of a broken individual, but also as a survivor.

2. Mark, Steven, and Shawna

They're excellent sidekick combo *grin* I think Gideon and Cary should spend some time with them. Perhaps Mark and Steven could talk some sense into Cary and Shawna could somehow make Gideon completely understand that women need boundaries (slim odds, but fingers crossed)

3. Geoffrey Cross and Monica Tramell

[Edit: 14/05/13 I should've clearly mentioned that these questions are for you, Sylvia] Tidbits of answers are needed for my questions: "Was there any witness when Gideon's father commited suicide?" and "Did Eva's mother suffer from postpartum depression?"

4. Martin Stanton and Ireland Vidal

I think it would be a huge help if Eva has Martin as a friend and Ireland as a little sister (Martin and Ireland, you've just got yourselves a fan!)

Re: Geoffrey Cross' suicide, I wonder whether Cross blew his head off at home, that Gideon (only five years old at the time and likely home himself) heard the shot, and ran to investigate -- and saw his dead body. This might explain what Gideon was a hot mess even before getting sexually assaulted. Perhaps the first childhood trauma he suffered wasn't simply the loss of a parent at a young age, that what happened was far, far more complicated and much worse.

Re: Monica, in Eva's nightmares, she's cried out for her mother and said stuff like "where's Mama." I wonder whether Monica was so into going to high society functions very often that Eva and Nathan were left home barely supervised by servants or a babysitter. Perhaps every time Nathan knew Monica and his father would be out very late, he took the opportunity to rape Eva?

Or even, maybe by the time Eva was 10 years old and Nathan was 12 years old, Nathan was appointed to babysit Eva. Age 12 is around the neighborhood of when kids are old enough to be responsible for younger siblings, and is around the age that kids (especially girls) will start earning money by being babysitters. I myself started babysitting at age 12.

[Hi, sscrph! Perhaps I wasn't being clear about it. I revisit and revise, then *wink*]

Ladies,

Do you realize there's a yoyo pattern in every other chapter throughout the book?

From the whole 22 chapters, there'll be 11 conflicts and resolutions for the characters, especially the main characters.

When we reach chapter 10, it's the 8th day of the story and we already got 5 conflicts and resolutions:

Chapter 1: The mystery of the Dark and Dangerous' Identity

Resolution: Identity Revealed

Chapter 3: The Unresolved Cerebrally Humorous Arguments

Resolution: The Circumvent

Chapter 5: The Soon-To-Be-Fulfilled Intimately Dark Promise

Resolution: Dark, Indeed: Postcoitus Funk

Chapter 7: The Cut Off

Resolution: The Deal: Exclusivity

Chapter 9: Excruciatingly Devalued

Resolution: Letting You In

What do you think?

Well, here's the part 2 of the yoyo (LN Cronan named it the "yo-you" *wink*) pattern I found in BTY:

Chapter 11: Brain Gym: F-L-U-K-E

Resolution: H-U-R-T

Chapter 13: The Classics

Resolution: The Drill

Chapter 15: The Sole Eyewitness: Oral Skills-Based Assessment

Resolution: The Uninterrupted Intimately Crossfiristic Act

Chapter 17: Carte Blanche

Resolution: Under Seige

Chapter 19: The Countdown

Resolution: The Letdown

Chapter 21: Slammed!

Resolution: Reaffirmation Key

What do you think?

Additional thoughts:

In Chapter 21 comes the second time Gideon has threatened to spank Eva. He meant it in jest.

The first time was the week they'd met and he was trying (in vain) to seduce her. He'd telephoned her at her office, and she'd seriously provoked him by being flippant - the spanking threat came when she managed to insult him to the point of making him mad, so he was more than half serious about it.

Did Gideon experiment with BDSM in the past? Specifically spend the first three years of his sex life, which would have been exclusively with Corrine, explore BDSM as a possible means to get the ultimate control in the bedroom (well, in the hotel room). For one thing, a hotel room gave greater privacy than a dorm room (the likely place the 18-year-old, just-left-home, Gideon would be living as a college freshman.)

• Earlier this week, when we first discussed Chapter 20, I had pointed out Corrine's nervous gesture of stroking her throat as she was spilling stuff to Eva about Gideon's past possessive nature frightening her years ago. Even Eva thought the throat stroking gesture was odd, and it made Eva think Corrine was imaging a necklace "she'd normally find there." Did Gideon "collar" Corrine, getting her to wear a sexual fetish collar, one of the props commonly used on the submissive in a BDSM situation?
  • Gideon once expressed a fantasy to Eva of putting Eva in a sex swing, which is bondage prop.
  • He did stock sex toys in his f*** pad -- Eva looked only into one drawer, finding things such as vibrators. She was afraid to look in additional drawers, fearing she'd find more stuff. Was her gut feeling right that if she did look, she'd find props for more specific types of fetishes?
  • Gideon made Eva choose a safeword -- that is a crucial thing in dom-sub sex, especially in situations that involve restraint and/or administering pain. It's the means by which the sex acts the dom is performing remain consensual to the sub -- the safeword is the way the sub conveys the dom is approaching or crossing a line into non-consensual, so the dom immediately needs to stop what the dom is doing to the sub. From her group therapy back in San Diego, Eva knew some things about BDSM (hearing other patients discuss it) and when Gideon asked her to pick a safword, Eva's mind flew to what she knew about the lifestyle.
  • Soon after, when Gideon openly discussed the dom-sub dynamic, he rattled off certain things he did NOT mean he wanted to incorporate into their sex life. Some of the things he described were a menu of different BDSM activities.

In Chapter 20 of Bared to You, Gideon tried making clear that with Corrine, it'd always been f******, never making love. Was the full truth of the matter it was always Gideon using kinkiness to explore his own sexuality, taking pleasure but never giving it to Corrine, not really. Their entire sex life was mostly him taking but not giving back -- and that's the real reason Corrine tried to change him? The deal-breaker issue going on was far deeper than his refusal to fall asleep alongside her?

If this is true, then it could help to make sense of why when Gideon started seeing Corrine again, in Reflected in You, that during the two-plus weeks he'd "gone back" to Corrine, they didn't immediately become sexual partners again, as would be expected under the circumstances? Why she might be willing to let that coast for now? Fearing that if she pushed matters, it'd go right back to wearing a collar and being spanked? Corrine probably heard from Magdalene all about Magdalene having walked in on Gideon making love to Eva in his parents library. So Corrine was holding out in order to be patient enough with Gideon that when Gideon did take their renewed relationship to a sexual level, it would involve lovemaking? (Yeah, right Corrine -- good luck with that!)

Eva mentioned that she wondered how far could Gideon take her, when they made love, knowing that her past history with s*x was clouded with issues. On a couple of occasions it mentions him basically restraining her or caging her in using his body.

If he I'd experiment with BDSM, I'm sure it was for the control it gave. Control that he lost when he was abused.

Although he has said about spanking twice, he did say that it was neither what they wanted from their relationship, when they had a chat in his home office after the garden party.

Or even, maybe by the time Eva was 10 years old and Nathan was 12 years old, Nathan was appointed to babysit Eva. Age 12 is around the neighborhood of when kids are old enough to be responsible for younger siblings, and is around the age that kids (especially girls) will start earning money by being babysitters. I myself started babysitting at age 12.

This is my thought too.  The first time I read it I thought Nathan was given responsibility to babysit Eva giving him more power over her.  I thought that Monica often attended functions to represent the family even when her husband was out of town.  Monica's desire to be with the "right people" left Eva & Nathan alone way too much.  It also broke my heart when Eva said the help had to know and they never told.  She was so alone.

One thing that bothers me about Corrine is Gideon's description of her.  "She's beautiful and sweet, and never had an unkind word to say about anyone."   She wasn't sweet and kind to Eva and Gideon didn't seem to recognize it.

Corinne is a cunning little fox.

Re: Geoffrey Cross' suicide, I wonder whether Cross blew his head off at home, that Gideon (only five years old at the time and likely home himself) heard the shot, and ran to investigate -- and saw his dead body. This might explain what Gideon was a hot mess even before getting sexually assaulted. Perhaps the first childhood trauma he suffered wasn't simply the loss of a parent at a young age, that what happened was far, far more complicated and much worse.

Re: Monica, in Eva's nightmares, she's cried out for her mother and said stuff like "where's Mama." I wonder whether Monica was so into going to high society functions very often that Eva and Nathan were left home barely supervised by servants or a babysitter. Perhaps every time Nathan knew Monica and his father would be out very late, he took the opportunity to rape Eva?

I kind of think Gideon found his father.  I had a close friend in middle school who came home and found her father had hung himself.  She ran across the street to our house and my mom called the police.  I remember she went through a few years when she was acting out aggressively on occasion.  I suspect a young child wouldn't know how to articulate his/her feelings and would naturally throw things in frustration.

My point exactly. Monica would probably have scheduled consultation with some expert to cope with her postpartum depression. She would leave Eva alone on a regular basis and Nathan took advantage of it. Perhaps it was a little too late for her (Monica) to finally get a proper treatment that resulted in her being emotionally/psychologically incapable of being a mother.

Thank you, LN Cronan for answering my question about Gideon's meds.

[Edit:20/05/13]

I consider "Monica Tramell Barker Mitchell Stanton" as a timeline and the number 3 question above popped up in my mind. Have no strong reasons for it. Have decided to wait and... read

As usual "clueless" Gideon .... He better get a CLUE in the next book or Eva's history!!

I think he knows he has a lot of work to do. He screwed up big time with Eva, completely blowing her trust out the water. He has now got to totally entrust himself to Eva. Not s*xually but emotionally. She needs honesty, no more secrets, that is her deal breaker. Are you listening young man!!!

He'd left his sleep medication upstairs -- Dr. Petersen had prescribed it the day before (Tuesday) and Gideon had stayed over Tuesday night, so his bottle of meds was still upstairs in her apartment.

I know the meds are why he went back inside because Sylvia herself answered that question but I also think it was to show that he made copies of Eva's keys without her permission-- another invasion of her privacy which she addresses in the next book...

I know the meds are why he went back inside because Sylvia herself answered that question but I also think it was to show that he made copies of Eva's keys without her permission-- another invasion of her privacy which she addresses in the next book...

Very true. Just another small little bit of info that crops up later. Gideon also gave Eva a copy of his key.

In fact, the night before (Tuesday) Eva had argued with Gideon about invading her privacy in another way, her cell phone, by helping himself to the Christopher/Magdalene sex tape that Cary had emailed Eva as a warning to Eva to steer clear of Christopher Jr.

Cary shot that video on Sunday at the garden party, and he emailed it to Eva. Eva opened that email Monday morning in the back of Gideon's car while the pair of them were being driven to the Crossfire, and that's how Gideon saw the video too. Eva's cell phone ran out of power. Gideon helped himself to it to recharge the thing for her -- and while he was at it, he went into her email to get a copy of the video itself so that he could show it to Magdalene.

He had Magdalene up to his office for lunch on Tuesday, so that he could privately break the news to her, obviously to protect her for further being used by Christopher. Tuesday night, he told Eva about the lunch. That's when she found out he'd helped himself to her cell phone -- and she got really mad, viewing it as a serious boundary violation.

In Chapter 20, he was ticked off that Eva danced with Stanton's nephew -- practically family (by marriage.) Gideon cut in on their dance. But then when Eva confronted him about having just found out -- from Magdalene and Corrine herself -- that Corrine sure as h*** wasn't just an old friend, he got mad she was making a fuss over "nothing."

The man really can be an idiot sometimes. He just didn't get it -- well, he finally did, when he saw Eva in Brett's arms.

It cracks me up that Gideon is a business genius but need to get a clue when it comes to his relationship!

It cracks me up that Gideon is a business genius but need to get a clue when it comes to his relationship!

It's funny that you mention that.

Communication is always a problem with Gideon.

He can take meetings, talking, he gives speeches at functions, talking, he did plenty of talking to Stanton and Monica, communicates at work.

So COMMUNICATE to Eva please!

I don't want to go on and on about Monica again but really??? If it actually is true that Nathan violated Eva while the parents or Monica a herself were at a social function don't you think little Eva would have been clinging to her leg in tears or hysteria for her parents not to go out and wouldn't they have found that odd ?? I just don't get it . Let me put it this way , if GidEva ever have children, I don't think Monica will be called upon to babysit No Fu$kin way!!!!!!!

HI LN CRONAN

Gedeon's experimanting with sex toys has undoubtedly given him that control over his partners he so desperately needs to keep himself together. I belive Gedeon's kinkiness is also his shield against any emotional involvement in the sexual act. Now that Eva has found a way to get to his heart, either he will use these "implements" again just as toys to have fun with, or drop them altogether.

CIAO!

I don't want to go on and on about Monica again but really??? If it actually is true that Nathan violated Eva while the parents or Monica a herself were at a social function don't you think little Eva would have been clinging to her leg in tears or hysteria for her parents not to go out and wouldn't they have found that odd ?? I just don't get it . Let me put it this way , if GidEva ever have children, I don't think Monica will be called upon to babysit No Fu$kin way!!!!!!!

My guess is Eva didn't cling as much to Monica as should would have if her abuser was someone not in the house.  Nathan knew how to scare Eva and even went so far as to kill her cat when he recognized signs that she might tell.  My guess she was getting clingy and Monica guessed it.  I'll be that is when Nathan killed the cat and Eva backed away.  It is surprising how much children will try to protect their parents when it should be the other way around. 

I don't hate Monica as much as many of you do.  I think Nathan was controlling enough to get Eva to keep their secret.  Keeping the secret most likely, required Eva to act in a way that didn't alert her mom to any problems. 

I don't hate Monica either. Eva's reaction to what was going on was to withdraw, especially because Nathan was terrorizing her into silence.

That said, Monica obviously was devoting too much time to being a high society wife and not enough time mothering her daughter and stepson. She's guilty of neglect.

I don't hate Monica either. Eva's reaction to what was going on was to withdraw, especially because Nathan was terrorizing her into silence.

That said, Monica obviously was devoting too much time to being a high society wife and not enough time mothering her daughter and stepson. She's guilty of neglect.

I don't dislike the woman, she is just a sad, shallow individual, who had her priorities all wrong, and Eva suffered for it. Nothing will change what happened, and consequently she is now paying the price, of feeling guilty and will suffer to the end of her days.