One Chapter A Day - Re-Read Of Bared and Entwined

LN Cronan

Too, he might fear that blood as part of intercourse, blood on bedsheets, could possibly end up triggering her, given the nature of Nathan's assaults on her. The rapes left both anal and vaginal scars, which meant tearing, which meant bleeding. For that matter, blood might be a trigger for Gideon too -- the story strongly suggests he may have been subjected to forcible penetration as a child himself.

Good call.

Which brings us back to unobservant mothers. Aargh!

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why didn't the subject of period come up during the three years Corrine was his girlfriend?

Er, maybe because he never had been jumping her bones frequently to begin with?

Maybe she had been the one initiating sex most of the time -- so like the hordes of women who later made Gideon offers he couldn't refuse  -- she was careful about her timing?

Too, he might fear that blood as part of intercourse, blood on bedsheets, could possibly end up triggering her, given the nature of Nathan's assaults on her. The rapes left both anal and vaginal scars, which meant tearing, which meant bleeding. For that matter, blood might be a trigger for Gideon too -- the story strongly suggests he may have been subjected to forcible penetration as a child himself.

Yes lets change the subject but I think we all get the idea ... We should be coming around to Eva's period again though early in Entwined...

Why didn't the subject of period come up during the three years Corrine was his girlfriend?

Er, maybe because he never had been jumping her bones frequently to begin with?

Maybe she had been the one initiating sex most of the time -- so like the hordes of women who later made Gideon offers he couldn't refuse  -- she was careful about her timing?

I was thinking the same thing ! They were together for three years! I mean , GidEva ( lol) could have done it in the week she had t , bath, shower lol. Didn't Eva say something , or think it rather, that she hAdnt experienced that part of a relationship also? But in Bared, she said she had gotten further w Gideon ten she had in relationships lasting two years. Confused about that.

I was thinking the same thing ! They were together for three years! I mean , GidEva ( lol) could have done it in the week she had t , bath, shower lol. Didn't Eva say something , or think it rather, that she hAdnt experienced that part of a relationship also? But in Bared, she said she had gotten further w Gideon ten she had in relationships lasting two years. Confused about that.

what I thought Eva meant was how much she already loved and trusted Gideon far more than any other boyfriend so quickly.

A Chapter A Day Re-Read Project - Today is Chapter 4 of Reflected in You

This chapter covers Friday (day 18) starting in the pre-dawn hours and continuing through to breakfast time.

Key plot developments

• For the first time in ages, Eva suffered one of her own flashback nightmares of being raped.
  • When she'd fallen asleep, Gideon had been beside her in the bed. When he woke her up out of the nightmare, she found him fully clothed in her bedroom (him and Cary both). It turned out he'd gone out somewhere after she'd fallen asleep - where, he wouldn't say.
  • Eva asked Gideon to make love to her to chase away the lingering effects of the nightmare.
  • The next morning, while Gideon is still in Eva's room, Cary and Eva had a close friend-to-friend conversation, the first chance they'd had to really talk with one another about how crisis erupted in both of their respective love lives in the past couple of days.
  1. Eva told Cary all about Corrine, from Corrine's crashing the fundraiser Wednesday night to the possibility that Gideon f***** Corrine in his office during lunchtime on Thursday.
  2. Cary told Eva his new relationship with Trey is now in trouble because Cary repeatedly seriously hurt his boyfriend in the past few days.

After each of us has read Chapter 4, Sylvia would like to know what each of us liked best - either a quote or a paragraph.

Chapter 4, favorite quote, what Gideon promises Eva in the aftermath of the nightmare she had, a flashback to having been raped as a girl. From page 59:

"Listen to me, Eva. No one can touch you. No one can get to you. Never again ... They'd have to get through me, Eva. And that will never happen."

This is especially poignant given what Gideon knows -- but is keeping secret from Eva. Nathan has reappeared in New York, and is attempting to re-victimize Eva all over again, this time with photographs and video of Nathan had taken of her years ago as his helpless victim.

Throwing out there for discussion purposes pages 65 to 68 of Chapter 4 -- the part where Eva and Cary finally talk, for the first time, about Corrine's sudden appearance on the scene 36 hours earlier, and all the mess that has ensued.

Supposedly, Gideon was still asleep in Eva's room at the time. I actually firmly believe he was awake and was eavesdropping on the entire conversation. Gideon always has woken up earlier than Eva. Eavesdropping is a rotten thing to do, but he probably was desperate to find out what was really going on in Eva's head.

If he did eavesdrop, this is what he would have learned.

• Cary firmly believed the stress Gideon is putting Eva through was to blame for the reappearance of her rape nightmares. The one she'd suffered the night before was the first she'd had in a long time.
  • When asked point blank whether Eva really does believe Gideon f***** Corrine the day before, Eva said she's "mostly sure" he didn't (meaning she still has lingering doubts.)
  • Eva does admit she's firmly convinced Corrine does have some sort of hold over Gideon still -- Gideon's brunette fixation is proof.
  • Cary now has serious doubts about Gideon, because of Gideon's dishonesty. Cary also fears Eva's self-esteem problems mean trying to work things out with Gideon is just going to cause more damage to her.
  • Eva has doubts she'll ever be able to work out a relationship with anyone else if it turns out she cannot work things out with Gideon.

Hi LN I have always thought that Gideon overheard that discussion between Cary and Eva simply because of what Eva stated later that Gideon had been quiet all day starting with when He'd woken up and the ride to work had been made in silence...GidEva most always have a nice chat of some type in the car on the way to work. I think he was just pondering what Eva and Cary said earlier in the morning etc...

Hi LN I have always thought that Gideon overheard that discussion between Cary and Eva simply because of what Eva stated later that Gideon had been quiet all day starting with when He'd woken up and the ride to work had been made in silence...GidEva most always have a nice chat of some type in the car on the way to work. I think he was just pondering what Eva and Cary said earlier in the morning etc...

Oh and not to mention he missed out on his hour of morning sex...he likes to start his day OFF with it (pun intended). :) :)

Throwing out there for discussion purposes pages 65 to 68 of Chapter 4 -- the part where Eva and Cary finally talk, for the first time, about Corrine's sudden appearance on the scene 36 hours earlier, and all the mess that has ensued.

Supposedly, Gideon was still asleep in Eva's room at the time. I actually firmly believe he was awake and was eavesdropping on the entire conversation. Gideon always has woken up earlier than Eva. Eavesdropping is a rotten thing to do, but he probably was desperate to find out what was really going on in Eva's head.

If he did eavesdrop, this is what he would have learned.

• Cary firmly believed the stress Gideon is putting Eva through was to blame for the reappearance of her rape nightmares. The one she'd suffered the night before was the first she'd had in a long time.
  • When asked point blank whether Eva really does believe Gideon f***** Corrine the day before, Eva said she's "mostly sure" he didn't (meaning she still has lingering doubts.)
  • Eva does admit she's firmly convinced Corrine does have some sort of hold over Gideon still -- Gideon's brunette fixation is proof.
  • Cary now has serious doubts about Gideon, because of Gideon's dishonesty. Cary also fears Eva's self-esteem problems mean trying to work things out with Gideon is just going to cause more damage to her.
  • Eva has doubts she'll ever be able to work out a relationship with anyone else if it turns out she cannot work things out with Gideon.

Probably explains him being quiet the rest of the day. I'm sure hearing he is triggering Eva's dreams was quite painful for him. Plus Cary had been pulling for Gideon so not having him onside might also be a concern.

I agree.

Most definitely, his being quiet the rest of the day I think was the direct result of learning that he'd triggered Eva, with the return of the rape nightmares being the direct consequence.

He'd been so careful -- would continue to be so careful -- with her sexually, terrified of triggering her physically.

The thought that their relationship had triggered her mentally/emotionally would have devastated him inside -- that his mishandling of the whole Corrine situation had resulted in Eva now suffering rape nightmares. He knew all too well how painful those nightmares can be.

At first, Gideon had thought that Eva simply wasn't handling the Corrine situation well, and he confessed this in North Carolina, confessed it after the Brett situation woke him up to the fact just how serious the ex-lovers problem truly was. But in the meantime, overhearing Eva talk with Cary that morning made him realize the immediate consequences of what his ex pulled in the past day and a half had seriously undermined Eva's trust. Later, he'd have to beg her "trust me" even while he was scared inside (with d*** good reason) that she did not trust him -- and so she'd run away again, maybe for good.