SPOILERS: Entwined with You Overall Discussion

I was thinking about the theory involving one of my least favorites characters, Anne. What if she is a member of a physician group? Corinne comes in to find out why she is feeling bad and the test shows she is pregnant. Not sure how it would work out but somehow Anne gets involved. She doesn't tell Corinne about the pregnancy. Anne tells the OB that Corinne is experiencing depression resulting from her failed marriage and ends up treating Corinne as her psychiatrist.

Corrine's prescriptions are signed by the OB/Gyn in the group. Often these multi-physician practices are like a mini clinic with all types of specialties. A physician assistant will get the scripts together before the doctor even comes in to see the patient and signatures are stamped on them. Anne could have stamped another physician's name and no one would think twice about it. Anne is such a sneak I'm sure she would prepare for Gideon stopping by Corinne's house. This would explain why Gideon didn't recognize the doctor's name. It would also explain why a doctor didn't recognize changes in Corinne's behavior. Anne is intentionally trying to hurt Gideon through the person she thinks he wants.

The thing is after the charity benefit Anne knows Gideon is back with Eva. Does this mean Eva is in danger again? Eva expects something but what is she thinking? I'm ready for book 4

Hi Sharon. I always thought that Anne somehow found out that Corinne was pregnant, thinking the baby was Gideons, , and that prescribing antidepressants would result in a miscarriage. She would be hurting Gideon through Corinne. The same as Gideon hurt Lucas through Anne.

In answer to your question, yes Eva is in big trouble, because Anne will realise she got it wrong, and will still want revenge!

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Jmhope,

Something just struck me as odd; why would they flex cuff Gideon and Jean Francois and then not have them arrested or turned over to the police?  Can security guards in the US physically restrain someone without being a police officer?  In Canada, someone can be detained (i.e. held in an office while a person waits for police to arrive) or separated from a situation, but they can't be handcuffed, or phsycially restrained. 

Just another quick thought; why would security go through all of the trouble of flex cuffing someone without then following through and having them arrested?  Thoughts?

I'm just thinking this over in my mind and it just occurred to me that Gideon must really have been p is s sed that he was cuffed at all!

Hi Sharon,

Thanks for taking the time to post such an intersting theory.  It is certainly helping to pass the time in a most intriguing way.  :)  I read your posting and your theory seems interesting.  I was thinking about what you said and I was wondering if you could clarify (or any of the other members) would be kind enough to clarify a few points.  It would help for me to understand your theory better.

Is it your assertion that Anne Lucas was a practicing member of a multi-practice group of various physicians (i.e. a group various physicians; OB/GYN’s, General Physicians, Psychiatrists, Orthopedic Surgeons, etc.) practicing together?

If that is the case, how would Anne Lucas have gotten her hands on Corinne’s test results (for example) or even known that Corinne was a patient at this group practice?  Dr. Anne Lucas is a psychiatrist and as such she wouldn’t have had access to an OB/GYN’s files.  In Canada, each patient has a different file with each corresponding physician.  There isn’t one big file for all the physicians to view.  Each physician (i.e. doctor, gynecologist, psychiatrist, etc.) is legally mandated to keep up-to-date and accurate records independent of any other treating physician.  A patient doesn’t have to disclose any information that they do not wish to (i.e. if Corinne was seeing a psychiatrist, then she wouldn’t have been legally obligated to tell her gynecologist if she was or whom she had chosen to see).  Is it the same case in the US?

How common are physician’s assistants in the US?  In Canada, they are almost non-existent.  Are physician’s assistants not obligated to maintain patient confidentiality (i.e. unless given specific or direct consent from a patient to disclose their medical information)?

Can a doctor use a stamp in lieu of his/her signature in the US?  That isn’t legal in Canada.  Each and every medical professional (family physicians, OB/GYNs, dermatologists, etc.) has to sign their own prescription.  The nurse or receptionist can fill out the patients’ name and can use a specific stamp corresponding to the MD (that will have their business address, the physician’s ID number and a unique number-a number granted by their college which gives them the legal ability to prescribe a select number of medications), but a physician can’t prescribe any medication that they want.  They have to account for what they prescribe with regulatory authorities and with corresponding governing bodies (it helps to prevent abuse of prescribing certain medications not in the jurisdiction).

A pharmacy won’t just take a stamped prescription from a patient.  If a prescription is only stamped (without a doctor’s signature), the pharmacy will call the office and confirm with said office, that prescription was intended for said patient and ask for a faxed confirmation for said prescription.  Following these steps help to cut down and prevent prescription pad theft and unregulated use of a physician’s office stamp in Canada.  Is this the same for the US? 

Another question came to mind; how would Anne know about whether Gideon visited Corinne at her house or not?  What is your theory about her gaining that kind of information from Corinne? 

How does Corinne’s change in behaviour get explained away by all of the other physicians who might come into contact with her?  I would think that any physician worth his/her salt would recognize changes in their own patient’s behaviour.  The medical practice would also have to have a record of which medications were being prescribed to said patient.  Wouldn’t a family physician become suspicious in the obvious behaviour change of a woman who was showing signs of distress and serious mood changes? Wouldn’t someone put the clues together or is it possible that Corinne fell between the cracks?

If Corinne went to said clinic and had a pregnancy test, wouldn’t her file be flagged or tagged (discretely of course) to let whoever was treating her, know that she was pregnant?  Wouldn’t all of the nurses who had contact with Corinne know about her results as well?  Wouldn’t one of them have said something if Anne was going to prescribe a medication contraindicated for a pregnant woman?

On one hand, Corinne is supposed to be mentally unwell and is seeking treatment for her mental issue, but on the other hand, Anne Lucas is suppose to believe everything Corinne says? 

If what you have said comes to fruition, it is an absolutely chilling idea to think that someone could have complete and utter control over; not only the medical system, but also of another human being!  To think that Anne Lucas could have harbored such complete and total hatred of Gideon for all these years is horrifying beyond words!!! 

I think I may have to hide under the covers, while I wait for the next book!  :(    

GiGi

It is very diabolical to say the least but then again it is a work of fiction!!

Just catching up and something struck me---why would Anne tell Eva to watch out for Deanna saying that he f ucks her a lot when Deanna told Eva she had a one night stand that went bad?  Is Anne making this up or is there something we don't know about Deanna?  When I read it before in the book, I chalked it up to Anne being jealous and making something up.  Now I am not so sure.

Anyone?

BTW--the almost life-sized picture of Henry's face is a killer.  And my husband thanks you for those amazing shorts from the past few days.  ;-)

Hi Sharon,

What I find most troubling is that Anne Lucas seems to have connected Eva and Cary as being friends and roommates.  She has gone out of her way to seduce Cary...for what purpose; I don't know yet.  Those actions to me, suggest a woman that has gone from thinking about thoughts of revenge to acting out on a plan. 

It is obvious that Anne had a reason for trying to seduce Cary, what it is yet, I don't know.  I am sure that she will use anyone and everyone to get to Gideon, but for what reason; revenge, delusions, etc.  I don't know that either. 

You are absolutely correct in that Anne is the most dangerous person right now.  I have been thinking that for quite a while, but what is yet to be determined is how much does Anne know about Gideon's accusations against her brother?  Did her husband fill her in on what was going on?  Or is there another reason, that we the readers aren't aware of yet, for Anne to want to seek revenge?  Time will tell.

GiGi

GiGi

It wasn't that hard for Anne to connect the dots between Cary and Eva, since Eva met dr Lucas in the hospital when Cary was administrated there. And if my memory serves me right, Eva and Cary were photografed together right? She only had to wait for the oppertunity to meet Cary in person and make her move. My thoughts are that Anne wants to hook up with Cary to eventually come closer to Eva. Her main goal is to hurt Gideon through one of his loved ones, Eva. And she is fixed on reaching her goal no mater what, ergo the end justifies the means.

She lost her brother and she must live with that pain/empty hole for the rest of her life, and she wants the same experience for Gideon. Also her being shoved to the side by Gideon doesn't make things any better.

Just another crazy thought of mine and i hope that i can explain it properly. Dr Lucas knew Anne was having dirty time with Gideon, he also knew that Anne was dumped by Gideon. Dr Lucas is angry at Gideon, but for what reason? The fact that G&A slept with eachother or the fact that G dumped A? If there was a plan behind the affair between Gideon and Anne, then i understand why dr Lucas is p**sed off to ay the least.

What was the original thought of Anne to hunt Gideon and have an affair with him? Was it just l u s t?  Was it damagecontrol? Was it that Dr Lucas is impotent and couldn't give Anne what she needs? Was it revenge for her brother? If it was revenge, then how was the plan suppost to be unfolded, since there was noone at that time to be a perfect pawn to play out Gideon (like Eva is at this moment). Was it something else and Anne fell inlove afterall, which wasn't the plan?

I hope you all ,can follow my ramly thoughts and share your lights/thoughts on it!

To think that Anne Lucas could have harbored such complete and total hatred of Gideon for all these years is horrifying beyond words!!! 

Responding to just one little point - I don't think it's been that long.  I suspect we're talking about a matter of months, maybe a year.  I think Deanna's grudge is still fairly new - if she'd been out to trash Gideon for longer than that, I think we'd probably have heard about it/seen evidence of it and Gideon wouldn't have been surprised when Deanne started hanging out at Eva's apartment building.  And since Gideon used Deanna to brush off Anne, that suggests that his affair with Anne wasn't so long ago, either.  I think all this happened after Corinne.  (Corinne was his first lover and there's nothing to suggest he cheated on her.) 

And I think Dr. Lucas (the pediatrician) was protecting Dr. Lucas (the psychiatrist) by covering up for her brother.  I don't think Dr. Lucas (the psychiatrist) ever knew what her brother did to Gideon.

Responding to just one little point - I don't think it's been that long.  I suspect we're talking about a matter of months, maybe a year.  I think Deanna's grudge is still fairly new - if she'd been out to trash Gideon for longer than that, I think we'd probably have heard about it/seen evidence of it and Gideon wouldn't have been surprised when Deanne started hanging out at Eva's apartment building.  And since Gideon used Deanna to brush off Anne, that suggests that his affair with Anne wasn't so long ago, either.  I think all this happened after Corinne.  (Corinne was his first lover and there's nothing to suggest he cheated on her.) 

And I think Dr. Lucas (the pediatrician) was protecting Dr. Lucas (the psychiatrist) by covering up for her brother.  I don't think Dr. Lucas (the psychiatrist) ever knew what her brother did to Gideon.

Sarah,

I really hate to comment on things when I don't have definate dates and information, but I am pretty sure it was mentioned that Gideon and Anne's relationship was a long time ago.  I am thinking soon after graduating college and breaking off the engagement with Corinne, like within a year of that.

As for Gideon and Deanna, that is definately more recent than his relationship with Anne, but I also believe that was atleast a year or so prior to meeting Eva.

It is very diabolical to say the least but then again it is a work of fiction!!

I'm probably wrong because the whole idea is a little far fetched but Anne did something to Corinne and she had her sights on Cary.  In my opinion it is to hurt Gideon and the people he cares about.

Just catching up and something struck me---why would Anne tell Eva to watch out for Deanna saying that he f ucks her a lot when Deanna told Eva she had a one night stand that went bad?  Is Anne making this up or is there something we don't know about Deanna?  When I read it before in the book, I chalked it up to Anne being jealous and making something up.  Now I am not so sure.

Anyone?

BTW--the almost life-sized picture of Henry's face is a killer.  And my husband thanks you for those amazing shorts from the past few days.  ;-)

I wonder about this too.  Gideon doesn't think using just his toys in his little play room at the hotel is sex.  It is possible that he took Deanna to the hotel a couple times but only nailed her that one time.  Gideon told Eva he avoids overly eager women a second time so if he is telling the truth it is only once but again it could mean only once that he used his d i ck.

Personally I think it was six months to a year since the Gideon & Anne hookup.  When Gideon and Eva were in NC Gideon said "I broke her."  From that I thought it meant she had a nervous breakdown and has been out of sight for awhile.  My guess is she is now recovered enough to begin making plans to strike back at Gideon and that is why she is concentrating on Corinne.  She thinks Corinne is the woman Gideon loves and plan to marry.  However, I think she also sees Gideon's attraction to Eva now and used her comments about Deanna to hurt Eva or at least discourage Eva from getting any closer to Gideon. 

As far as Deanna, it is possible that she was working on another story or didn't have the opportunity to get back at Gideon.  Gideon said himself that he didn't have a temper or a history of getting into fights.  It wasn't until he hooked up with Eva that he dropped his ice man facade.  Eva made Gideon jealous when she interacted with other men and that gave Deanna her opening. (Brett, Ian, Daniel, even Cary)

I agree with you about Dr. Terry Lucas.  I don't think he ever told Anne about her brother.  I think he loves Anne and thought he was protecting her and her family by keeping the secret.

Sarah,

I really hate to comment on things when I don't have definate dates and information, but I am pretty sure it was mentioned that Gideon and Anne's relationship was a long time ago.  I am thinking soon after graduating college and breaking off the engagement with Corinne, like within a year of that.

As for Gideon and Deanna, that is definately more recent than his relationship with Anne, but I also believe that was atleast a year or so prior to meeting Eva.

I don't think it was right after college but as I said in the previous post it was awhile ago.

Personally I think it was six months to a year since the Gideon & Anne hookup. 

That sounds right to me.

Entwined with You (nook version):

P. 84: "Deanna happened to be covering an event where Anne Lucas was making me uncomfortable. I used Deanna to keep Anne from approaching me." (This doesn't guarantee it was during his affair with Anne, but I suspect it was at least not too long afterward.)

P. 189: "[Lucas] loves Anne. Maybe as much as I love you. Enough to overlook her cheating and cover up for her brother to spare her the truth. Or embarrassment." (Gideon doesn't think Anne knows what her brother did. Terry Lucas blames Gideon for the affair, not his wife.)

Don't forget about the Redhead who approached Eva at the end of Gideon's speech at the Advocacy Center Dinner in BTY, was this Anne?

p99, "I turned to look at the woman who spoke, a lovely redhead who appeared to be in her early forties. "We're just ... friends." Her serene smile somehow managed to argue with me."

Anne knew that Gideon was different with Eva during this dinner and so she started planning her retaliation/revenge then.

I'm just thinking this over in my mind and it just occurred to me that Gideon must really have been p is s sed that he was cuffed at all!

True! He must've been so angry that he had to leave Eva.

Soooo....what do we think the news is going to be tom? It's "fun" news....hmmm....

I really hope for a Sept release, but I kinda doubt it. Usually there's more time between the announcement of a release and the actual release....no? Unless like Sylvia said, she didn't want to announce until the books went to print! I also wonder if she's done w/ book 5 yet! Ahhh! So excited!

I was thinking about going her Shelter Island book signing this weekend, I'm not sure if I could get someone to watch the kids tho :(  Anyone else going?

Don't forget about the Redhead who approached Eva at the end of Gideon's speech at the Advocacy Center Dinner in BTY, was this Anne?

I'm sure that was Anne.  I'm sure it was her, too, with Cary at the end of Entwined with You.  She's dangerous.  . . . a woman scorned.

p99, "I turned to look at the woman who spoke, a lovely redhead who appeared to be in her early forties. "We're just ... friends." Her serene smile somehow managed to argue with me."

Anne knew that Gideon was different with Eva during this dinner and so she started planning her retaliation/revenge then.

I wonder if Anne noticed the ring on Eva's finger that night??

Hi Sue Mortimer,

Welcome to the forum and I hope you enjoy yourself.   :)

Hi Sscrph,

I had another quick question:  When someone gets flex cuffed, do they get cuffed with their hands behind their back?  I would think that would be a super aggressive move if someone wasn't going to be arrested. 

Anyone?

Hi GLH,

I was thinking about what you said and I have to wonder if Anne Lucas is setting up a plan...for what, I don't know yet.  It is obvious that Anne knew Eva, so why would she go out of her way to engage an ex-lover's new girlfriend...fiance?  What do you think?  What does everyone think?

Thank you GiGi.

After reading all the Crossfire books several times I am now reading all the forum discussions. Interesting discussions. Better late than never I suppose.

Hi Sue,

It is never too late!  There are more books coming out, so we have a lot to talk about and think about.  :)

It wasn't that hard for Anne to connect the dots between Cary and Eva, since Eva met dr Lucas in the hospital when Cary was administrated there. And if my memory serves me right, Eva and Cary were photografed together right? She only had to wait for the oppertunity to meet Cary in person and make her move. My thoughts are that Anne wants to hook up with Cary to eventually come closer to Eva. Her main goal is to hurt Gideon through one of his loved ones, Eva. And she is fixed on reaching her goal no mater what, ergo the end justifies the means.

She lost her brother and she must live with that pain/empty hole for the rest of her life, and she wants the same experience for Gideon. Also her being shoved to the side by Gideon doesn't make things any better.

Just another crazy thought of mine and i hope that i can explain it properly. Dr Lucas knew Anne was having dirty time with Gideon, he also knew that Anne was dumped by Gideon. Dr Lucas is angry at Gideon, but for what reason? The fact that G&A slept with eachother or the fact that G dumped A? If there was a plan behind the affair between Gideon and Anne, then i understand why dr Lucas is p**sed off to ay the least.

What was the original thought of Anne to hunt Gideon and have an affair with him? Was it just l u s t?  Was it damagecontrol? Was it that Dr Lucas is impotent and couldn't give Anne what she needs? Was it revenge for her brother? If it was revenge, then how was the plan suppost to be unfolded, since there was noone at that time to be a perfect pawn to play out Gideon (like Eva is at this moment). Was it something else and Anne fell inlove afterall, which wasn't the plan?

I hope you all ,can follow my ramly thoughts and share your lights/thoughts on it!

Hi Moonfeather,

I read your posting and I can see where you are coming from.   I think that I am finding it extremely odd (to say the least), that Anne Lucas would look to hurt Gideon via Eva, via Cary.  It seems like an awfully complicated chain just to hurt one person, unless something potentially more sinister is at play here.  Do you know what I mean?

You bring up a good point about Hugh’s suicide.  How did Anne connect her brother’s suicide and Gideon?  Wouldn’t that be an indicator that Anne had been made aware of Gideon’s allegations of abuse against her brother?

If Anne wasn’t aware of Gideon and Hugh’s connection, is her obsession with hurting Gideon then based solely on having been a scorned woman?  What is the deal here?

You also bring up another question:  How did Terrance Lucas find out about the affair between Gideon and Anne (I think that it was mentioned somewhere in the book the Dr. Lucas knew of the affair)?   Who spilled the beans? 

After reading the books, it was my understanding that Gideon didn’t really have an interest in Anne until after he found out that Anne was Terrance Lucas’ wife. What was a little unclear to me was whether Gideon had sex with Anne before finding out that information.  Perhaps someone in the forum can shed some light on that. 

Great thoughts Moonfeather!  I can hardly wait for the next book!  :)