SPOILERS: Entwined with You Overall Discussion

Hi Gigi

Clancy worked for Stanton, he wouldn't have been around when Eva was abused. Wrong husband. :)

Julie's got it right.

Clancy is Stanton's employee. By the time Stanton, who is Monica's third husband, entered Eva's life, Eva was college age. Monica's second marriage (Mr. Mitchell, a compulsive gambler) was on the rocks around the time Eva decided to apply to San Diego State University. Barker was husband number one.

"(Clancy) didn't take orders from anyone but Stanton." Bared to You, page 37 - makes clear exactly who Clancy works for.

Pages 85 and 86 of Reflected in You cover some of Eva's back story about how she quit living with her mother and moved to California to be near her birth father, Victor. At the time she decided to leave the nest by going away to college, "My Mom had been going through a rough patch with husband number two and I'd been in a rebellious phase, making my own life h e l l as I tried forget what Nathan had done to me for so long. Moving out of my mom's suffering orbit has been one of the best decisions I'd ever made."

Monica married Stanton sometime in the four years prior to the summer Eva finished college and moved to New York. Stanton is a stepfather under whose roof Eva never lived. Clancy would have hardly known Eva, period, before Stanton ordered Clancy to serve as driver/bodyguard for Eva travelling to and from Brooklyn to take Krav Maga lessons.

What's more, the summer the GidEva saga began was the very first time Eva has ever lived in New York City. Many things about the place continue to awe her, especially the sheer amount of traffic (her and her transportation fetish ;) ) Even more indication that Clancy never had any sort of frequent contact with Eva until Stanton the Enabler appeased Mommica by ordering Eva to ride with Clancy. (Eva really needs to start standing up to Stanton along with Mommica now.)

There's an approximately 6 year gap between the time Nathan got caught and Monica married Clancy's boss. There's a 10-year gap between the time Nathan got caught and Eva started living in New York for the first time.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a question about one of my all time favorite scenes--the airplane ride to the Caribbean. 

When Gideon was introducing Eva to the cuffs he told her to close her eyes and use your safeword before you open you eyes if you have to.

Then he said "Let's be very clear about this, Eva.  Your safeword isn't for me It's for you.  All you have to say to me is no or stop, but just like wearing the cuffs makes you feel bound, saying your safeword will put your mind in the right place.  Do you understand?' 

Where is the right place he wants her mind that means no?  Just curious.

I think what Gideon means is he thinks having the power to stop things will allow Eva to relax and feel free from the need to always guard herself and never be able to completely let herself get lost in the moment and even the relationship. I think the unrestrained cuffs are another method of furthering this goal. Sort of dipping a toe in the water, so to speak. It can also be a whole lot of fun, so maybe Gideon has a tad more than just Eva's mental health on his agenda here. :)

Once Monica married Stanton, he found out about Nathan. Monica got Stanton to bury the old secrets even more deeply by buying the sworn silence of people who knew things from when Nathan was prosecuted and Monica had sued Nathan's father for divorce and for damages.

However, Nathan continued to be a potential threat even to the present. Monica was paranoid (with good reason, it turned out) some day Nathan might show up again. It fed into her boundary-violating stalking her own daughter's movements.

Naturally, as the Stantons' bodyguard, Clancy would have been alerted to the fact someone out there could prove to be a threat to Mrs. Stanton and/or her daughter. He had to have been shown recent photos of the guy. And the sicko had already been to the Crossfire (to see Gideon) days before Clancy spotted him on the sidewalk near the building. By then, it was possible Nathan had already paid a visit to Richard Stanton. Certainly, Gideon would have warned the Stantons that Nathan was in New York and in possession of some sort of violent child p o r n images of Eva.

Interesting thought. She knows Gideon is rich. She could be involved with the wrong crowd. Bit of pillow talk with Cary.

I thought that as well Julie and I thought as well she could be feeding Deanna the bits of information for cash as she is always hanging around the place :(

Hi Gabri

If she comes anywhere near the UK, we can put her up in The Tower of London. That's where traitors end up! Off with their heads!

Hahaha!

or we could stick her down in Edinburgh dungeon with the other ghosts or in the tower at Edinburgh Castle, Oh to heck with that we will just suspend her from Arthur's seat (used to be a volcano in Edinburgh city centre now looks like a lion) it is a h e l l of a drop from there to ground LOL

Now the question is... was it Angus or Clancy. Even though I would think if Angus did something he would tell Gideon.

personally I think it is Clancy but maybe acting on instruction from Stanton to keep Eva out of the police and keep her happy.  I would hope there is no underworld situation in the next book, I don't actually think I could cope with more drama for these two, they have had enough and sometimes more drama can be overkill in a book.  We need them to have happy time now and get on with their lives and issues :)

I have a question about one of my all time favorite scenes--the airplane ride to the Caribbean.

When Gideon was introducing Eva to the cuffs he told her to close her eyes and use your safeword before you open you eyes if you have to.

Then he said "Let's be very clear about this, Eva. Your safeword isn't for me It's for you. All you have to say to me is no or stop, but just like wearing the cuffs makes you feel bound, saying your safeword will put your mind in the right place. Do you understand?'

Where is the right place he wants her mind that means no? Just curious.

I believe it puts her in a submissive state of mind. Submitting to Gideon mentally as well as physically.

Think back to Reflected when they talked about the "swing". Gideon says something about he wants Eva bound mentally, not physically....

Last night, we dabble with the theory that Eva could be abducted.

If this was the case, wouldn't it be good if that part of the story was told from Gideons POV. Could you imagine the turmoil and devastation he would go through. To actually get inside his head, knowing his thoughts and learning about his pain firsthand.We have all been through the wringer with our lovers, following their journey, with all the angst and heartbreak. This would take it up a notch.

Hi Barb55,

You make a very good observation.  You are right in that Brett never really knew Eva and as such still doesn’t know her.  I think that if Brett ever had real feelings for her (that didn’t include Eva “servicing†him), there would be no way he would want the rest of the world to know what went on in their private lives.

I think that if Brett knew about this tape and was capitalizing on this sensational piece of footage, it is simply more confirming evidence that Brett is a horn dog extraordinaire!!   What do you think?  What does everyone think?

Good Morning,

My thoughts exactly!!!  If he really does love her and want a relationship he would not have shown Eva in that way.  And yes he is a horn dog extraordinaire!!!

I love getting up in the morning and reading everyone's thoughts that have been written over night!!!

Hi Peachies,

Did you notice how Elizabeth Vidal was orchestrating the entire scenario at the hospital (ye I stated that in another posting), but when I went back and re-read the passage, I noticed that Jean Francois was almost like an outsider himself. Corinne was his wife and yet he seemed to be playing second fiddle during the entire situation. My question would be why wouldn’t Jean Francois tell Elizabeth Vidal to sit down and shut the heck up?! Did you/anyone also notice that Corinne’s parents weren’t stepping up in support of him either? Do you have any thoughts?

I wondered if Corrine's patents felt Giroux has taken their little girl away from them... She was in France while they were in the USA. I think Giroux may have been heart broken as well. He was in a hospital waiting room because his wife was in love/ for another man and she tried to overdose because that man doesn't feel the same way for her.

Hi Sharonm745,

I read your posting and I was wondering whether Gideon would honour what he had said in the first book; even if Gideon couldn’t have all of Eva (by that I interpret Eva’s past because she was very promiscuous) he would take her any way he could get her.  Wouldn’t that include the fact that an inadvertent se* tape?  Eva never willingly made that tape and she had no knowledge of its existence prior to Gideon telling her.  What do you think?  What does everyone think?

I believe that Gideon would stay with Eva because he loves her and she loves him.  The issue is that the video pictures would stay in his head.  He already has the rape and abuse pictures of Eva in his memory and that plays out in his nightmares about Nathan.  Eva doesn't want him to think of her in anyway but his "Angel" and a s e x tape would cloudy that image.

Then he said "Let's be very clear about this, Eva.  Your safeword isn't for me It's for you.  All you have to say to me is no or stop, but just like wearing the cuffs makes you feel bound, saying your safeword will put your mind in the right place.  Do you understand?' 

Where is the right place he wants her mind that means no?  Just curious.

I got it to mean that if Eva just said No or Stop she would continually think about it and digest it and regress back into a dark place about not having the control as she used to say Stop and No to Nathan and he never did but saying Crossfire she knows without a doubt that everything would be stopped and she had control of the situation. :)

I believe that Gideon would stay with Eva because he loves her and she loves him.  The issue is that the video pictures would stay in his head.  He already has the rape and abuse pictures of Eva in his memory and that plays out in his nightmares about Nathan.  Eva doesn't want him to think of her in anyway but his "Angel" and a s e x tape would cloudy that image.

Most definitely.

Eva stated that she hated thinking about Gideon f*cking other women, can you imagine him actually seeing Eva and Brett with his own eyes, the horror.

I believe it puts her in a submissive state of mind. Submitting to Gideon mentally as well as physically.

Think back to Reflected when they talked about the "swing". Gideon says something about he wants Eva bound mentally, not physically....

Thanks to everyone for your feedback. 

I was thinking about this last night too.  I suspect that Gideon is taking it one step at a time and "preparing" Eva for his fantasy reenactment.  I remember Gideon saying that he was surprised that he didn't scare her off in the beginning by his actions.  I'm thinking that he just wants her to remember her safeword when they have relations so that when they are in a situation when/if she is bound she will already know how to get his attention. ( I'm guessing that the person in a swing is bound.  I wanted to do research but I have to wait until I'm home.  I don't want to give our IT department the wrong idea. It might not bode well for my evaluation due next week.)

I just want to say again that I really appreciate everyone's comments.  You all always give me something new to think about.

I got it to mean that if Eva just said No or Stop she would continually think about it and digest it and regress back into a dark place about not having the control as she used to say Stop and No to Nathan and he never did but saying Crossfire she knows without a doubt that everything would be stopped and she had control of the situation. :)

What a great explanation.  This makes absolute sense to me.  Thanks

This just popped into my head... Do you think that when Brett said that Eric was dealing with some issues that came up on the tour he meant the sex tape...I found this to be a curious comment when I first read the book and now red flags are going up in my head???

actually I thought it was drugs related 

This just popped into my head... Do you think that when Brett said that Eric was dealing with some issues that came up on the tour he meant the sex tape...I found this to be a curious comment when I first read the book and now red flags are going up in my head???

actually I thought it was drugs related

I took it to mean about his sexuality. Especially as he might have dabbled with Cary.

I took it to mean about his sexuality. Especially as he might have dabbled with Cary.

that is a possibility as well Julie, just being a fan of some of the rock bands (mainly Bon Jovi, have been for years) you get to hear more about the rock bands and the Indie Bands addicted to Drugs but I like how you think as well :)

I think so too Sheens.

I am glad it made some sense to you Sharonm :)

Gideon wants Eva to be able to control any situation where sex is concerned, by using her safeword. With Nathan she lost the right to say no, she lost the control. Gideon knows that when having sex, trying something new, could trigger her, he would be devastated if he was responsible for that situation. It could destroy them. So he always makes sure, she is in the right mindset, and reminds her of her safe-word.

Your thoughts make sense to me too!!