"Captivated by You"

Sylvia Day

Now here's the thing, why would Christopher Jr. tell a slimy reporter like Deanna, knowing she would run with a story that would devastate Eva's social standing? Is Christopher really such a creep that he would allow Eva to become collateral damage? That's the one big hole in my theory.

Is Christopher such a "bitter enemy" that he would stand back and watch Eva's social standing get destroyed, purely for revenge against Gideon? Does Christopher know about the fist fight between Gideon and Brett? Assume wrongly that Gideon dumped Eva over it? Christopher thinks the way to rub salt in Gideon's wounds was to let the world find out the woman Gideon had gone gaga for over the summer was a s l u t, and Gideon found this out the hard way? Sadly, she used to be one, and she's the first to admit it -- but then Dr. Travis helped her get her head on straight.

Or was the decision to let the news about the sex tape get out simply a stupid business decision by a man with a history of making really stupid decisions? Gideon, god of the entertainment industry, knows that tarnishing the image of the Golden love song would be bad for business. He told Eva as much. Was Christopher stupid enough to think the controversy would drive sales of the song, sale of concert tickets, even higher?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then there's Deanna wanting to ambush Eva. What was she hoping to accomplish? Be able to describe in a story Eva's reaction to the existence of the sex tape? Or use the knowledge as a means to blackmail Eva? How? Break up GidEva? And get a payoff from Gideon? A strange form of history repeating itself, because when Nathan went to Gideon with his sexual video/pictures of Eva, that's exactly what Nathan hoped to accomplish? 1. Get Gideon disgusted enough to drop Eva, and 2. Get Gideon to pay him money to suppress the images?

Gideon was smart enough to know that paying Nathan would never have worked, and actually probably would have made matters worse. Gideon thinks he's successfully bought off Deanna, though. Has Gideon made a gross miscalculation there? Because as smart as he is, he can be really stupid about women? An apology and money was going to appease Deanna? I don't think she's psycho like Nathan, but she could be bent on hurting Gideon, not getting him in the sack a second time? If she genuinely thinks Gideon treated her like a w h o r e, then Gideon trying to pay her would backfire?

Too, when Deanna ambushed Eva for the second time at Eva's apartment building, Deanna unexpectedly got a two-fer, because Brett was there too. Deanna made her last stab trying to get Brett to confirm the fist fight, but Brett wouldn't play ball. Maybe if Brett had not been there and obviously covering GidEva's butt, would Deanna have hit Eva with the sex tape news? Or why didn't Deanna hit both of them at the same time about the sex tape? Maybe because Deanna figured out Brett would simply cover his and Eva's -- and Vidal Records' -- b u t t s by running to Gideon?

BTW, I don't think Sam the video guy works for Six-Ninths. I don't think he ever did. Eva described Sam as someone who had been a "wannabee". If Sam had been with the band and in any way involved with making the commerical Golden video, he would have been in New York for the premiere, and still traveling with the band. Instead, he was out in California somewhere. Because that's where Gideon went to deal with Sam.

And now we have to wait until March at the earliest for Aftershock, a novel where Deanna might make some direct or indirect appearance. At the end of Afterburn, Gia had hoped Deanna might know things to help Gia uncover Jax's mysterious past. It's the same Deanna. I had hoped that on Tuesday, we readers might have been able to glean some tidbits about her.

Tossing out an alternate Deanna-Christopher Jr. theory -- what if Christopher knows about the sex tape but is trying to stop it from getting out? Because he doesn't want Eva's social standing destroyed? How's this for a theory?

At the video premiere, Deanna, who has been cultivating Christopher as a source for some time, tells him about the sex tape version? When Christopher tried to talk to Gideon at the premiere, it was to tell him about it, ask him for advice, even give Gideon the warning about an imminent auction so that Gideon could be the highest bidder? Granted, that'd be way out of character for Christopher, going to Gideon for help. Yeah, he hates his brother's guts. But Christopher genuinely seems to like Eva? And maybe when Deanna told Christopher Jr., hoping to get him to cooperate on an expose, Christopher refused?

When it comes to Brett, I'm leaning toward sscrph. I think he will turn out to be one of the good guys just like Magdalene did. Maggie genuinely loves Gideon enough to want him happy, not want him for herself at any cost. So what if Brett finally -- and really for the first time -- sees proof that Gideon makes Eva happy, not miserable like Eva had been these past few weeks Brett has been back in Eva's life? Will all it take for Brett to give up is to see with his own eyes that Gideon and Eva love one another? Just like Maggie's eyes were opened the night she saw Gideon run after Eva?

Yeah, yeah, all along, Eva's been telling Brett she wants to be just friends, nothing more. Know what -- that'd been Gideon's tune with Corrine, as well. Uh huh. And what did Corrine also see? Gideon and Eva argue the first time Corrine saw them as a couple. Gideon quit spending time with Eva, and him obviously miserable. Gideon spending time with Corrine in front of the press? What's Brett seen? Gideon furious with Eva. Eva miserable, having just been "dumped." Eva walking away from Gideon in Times Square, speding time with Brett in front of the press.

Poor Brett's been being led on, unconsciously by Eva, because her old insecurities stirred up by the very thought of Corrine. But at least Eva's not calculatedly manipulating him. Gideon, when desperate, played the emotions of Eva and Corrine both, and Gideon is still paying the price.

Know who Eva needs to see this weekend in San Diego. Dr. Travis. Who can make her figure out it's her insecurities that are causing the Brett problem. Gideon, ahem, had s c r e w e d the obvious answer out of her the night she'd kissed Brett. The good doctor knows her "issues" even better than Gideon, and moreover can be objective. So let Gideon deal with handling Brett and the sex tape goes. Let Eva and Cary shoot hoops with Dr. Travis and get help straightening out the upheaval both of them have gone through since moving to New York.

One last thought, well one of those fun fantasies I have .... Gideon insisting he's going to San Diego too - that he, Eva and Cary will fly out there in one of his jets. Then he's going to try to lay down the law with Eva, that he, as the moneyman behind Vidal Records, will deal with Brett, boss to artist. Eva's going to pull the wife card - that she and Gideon are now a business team. He's going to invoke the "honor and obey" part of the traditional wedding vows they took. She'll respond by telling him that doesn't mean he can be a caveman. Then she'll pull the crisis management card -- if Gideon is so insistent on her joining Cross Industries, bringing her talents with her, well she can start using her talents by dealing with the Six-Ninths crisis.

So there. Sounds kinda fun, doesn't it. Gideon has that nervous tick of running a hand through his hair when stressed, running both hands through his hair when really stressed about Eva. The guy's gonna be pulling his hair out?

Hi lady's I know a lot of you are not very happy at the mo with the back date of aftershock I am one of them not happy at all if you go to the front of your afterburn book you will get the address web site address to write emails to them I think it is very unfair for them to say aftershock would be out on the 12th nov and we the readers have been waiting months for this book then put a new release date for the march 14 they are not thing how we the readers will be upset by what they are doing to sylvia herself and her fans

Hi everyone, I was just reading info on the home page about the publishers Sylvia has used. She has been involved with 12 publishers. OMG! I can't believe that with all of Sylvia's success & loving readers they are still jerking around with "Crossfire" & "Afterburn/Aftershock" dates. If I have to begin a self-imposed embargo on all of these publishers, so be it. Time to write a few letters.

With the Aftershock news re released next year I am now more frustrated re Captivated by You. I hope I can comprehend the "whys" . I've never been so emotionally frustrated with a book . I badly want this book now its been 5 months or so. I hope we get a  good news. Does publisher doesnt want money, what are they waiting for. I mean Im sure the book is finished. I just want to air my frustrations. Funny thing is I've been reading a lot of books , great books too and some are similar to Crossfire but no matter how i try  i keep coming back wanting Crossfire. its really like a bad habit  . I really got it bad for Cross 

One last thought, well one of those fun fantasies I have .... Gideon insisting he's going to San Diego too - that he, Eva and Cary will fly out there in one of his jets. Then he's going to try to lay down the law with Eva, that he, as the moneyman behind Vidal Records, will deal with Brett, boss to artist. Eva's going to pull the wife card - that she and Gideon are now a business team. He's going to invoke the "honor and obey" part of the traditional wedding vows they took. She'll respond by telling him that doesn't mean he can be a caveman. Then she'll pull the crisis management card -- if Gideon is so insistent on her joining Cross Industries, bringing her talents with her, well she can start using her talents by dealing with the Six-Ninths crisis.

So there. Sounds kinda fun, doesn't it. Gideon has that nervous tick of running a hand through his hair when stressed, running both hands through his hair when really stressed about Eva. The guy's gonna be pulling his hair out?

I like this scenario! I just don't want her to actually work for Cross industries. I understand the probable competition that will emerge with the two companies, but working for Cross industries is a little to much, especially so soon.

Continuing my thoughts on Eva's work, did anyone think it a little strange in the third book when Gideon asked Eva to introduce him as her fiance to the CEO's of the company she works for as an assistant? Sylvia made it seem that Eva already knew the two CEO's well enough for them to access the work she has been hands on with, which is not very likely since the credit would go to Eva's boss for a successful campaign. Just seemed a little silly and unnecessary since its very unlikely a CEO of an advertising company would interact with an entry level assistant to a marginally important account executive. 

With the Aftershock news re released next year I am now more frustrated re Captivated by You. I hope I can comprehend the "whys" . I've never been so emotionally frustrated with a book . I badly want this book now its been 5 months or so. I hope we get a  good news. Does publisher doesnt want money, what are they waiting for. I mean Im sure the book is finished. I just want to air my frustrations. Funny thing is I've been reading a lot of books , great books too and some are similar to Crossfire but no matter how i try  i keep coming back wanting Crossfire. its really like a bad habit  . I really got it bad for Cross 

I agree with you on how frustrating it is. If the books were on the writing and creativity level of J.K. Rowling or George R.R. Martin the spans of time between installments wold be completely understandable, but the amount of time to write the books and create the mediums in which they are sold (i.e. paperback with low quality paper) does not seem comparable with how often the books are pushed back for release. Especially since Silvia implied she has finished her portion of the work. I think the fault falls completely on the publishers and the genre of books Sylvia writes for. But what can we do? So many things go on behind the scenes with production we have no idea about, so all we can speculate and keep posting on this thread until the time for a release date happens... and knock off other books sitting on our books shelves.

I don't feel at all Eva ever led Brett on. I also don't think Christopher knew about that tape at the video launch,but found out about it after the fact. And yes I to think Christopher Likes Eva, but then again mommy dearest im sure has told him the crazy Arse accusations she laid on her at the dinner out. But yet they went out to lunch that next day..Im thinking Christopher wants eva..so by making her look like a pig Gideon wont want her. Im thinking Christopher also new about the fight with G and B... Im sure he is buddys with Deanna. Knowing she can help with music info and writings. plus im sure she has been around everything for a while.

Brett on more then one occasion had told Eva he wants her and it would only take once for her remember how it was. I DONT think he is innocent in all this. and there for he is in for  a Krav maga..

I do like your comment on the fact Gideon will try  to use his vows in micro managing Eva.. I also think that the CEOs of the Ad company will bump up Eva because of who she is and Mark gets kicked to the curb..this will have her leave ,take Mark and Magomui and open her own company on the 10 floor.

Hi lady's I know a lot of you are not very happy at the mo with the back date of aftershock I am one of them not happy at all if you go to the front of your afterburn book you will get the address web site address to write emails to them I think it is very unfair for them to say aftershock would be out on the 12th nov and we the readers have been waiting months for this book then put a new release date for the march 14 they are not thing how we the readers will be upset by what they are doing to sylvia herself and her fans

That's a good idea Tbidwell.  :)

I've been thinking about the places where Deanna could have spoken with other characters or at least spied and eavesdropped, gathering crucial information. Looking for patterns trying to figure out what she learned? There are places we readers definitely can place Deanna, because Eva knows about them. Plus, there are some instances where there definitely had been reporters and Gideon present, so Deanna very likely could have been there?

Places we can definitely put Deanna, in order:

Society event where Gideon picked her up so he could avoid Anne Lucas.

Ambushing Magdalene at work.

Golden video premiere

Ambushing Corrine at home.

The night GidEva's engagement was announced.

Places where there definitely were reporters, and Gideon was there, so it's possible Deanna covered one or more of the three:

Advocacy center dinner

Waldorf dinner

Vodka publicity party

OK, if I've missed any instances, jump in, but here are my counts for instances where Deanna definitely or possibly had the chance to get to other people -- or at the very least, spied on them.

Maggie: two definite, two maybe. The definite: Deanna ambushing Maggie at work, and the night GidEva's engagement was announced. The maybes:  advocacy center dinner, Waldorf dinner.

Anne Lucas: two definite. The event where Gideon picked up Deanna for a one-night stand, and the engagement announcement.

Corrine: one definite, two maybe. Definite: Deanna ambushing Corrine at Corrine's apartment. Maybes: Waldorf dinner, vodka publicity event.

Christopher: one definite, one maybe. Definite: the video premiere. Maybe: advocacy center

Lizzie: one definite, engagement announcement.

Brett: one definite, the video premiere

Terry Lucas: one maybe, the Waldorf dinner.

The Waldorf dinner and the event where GidEva's engagement was announced both come up three times when comparing press events and key characters. We know Deanna was at the engagement event. Was she also at the Waldorf dinner? Having seen pictures of GidEva as a couple, and guessing correctly they'd be at that charity fundraiser, she attended? And eavesdropped? Gideon was so focused on micro-managing Corrine, he hadn't even noticed Terry Lucas eating dinner at his table, much less noticed Maggie eavesdropping one table over. I'll bet he wouldn't have even noticed Deanna at all?

If you think about the things Deanna could have overheard, a lot makes sense later about the approaches Deanna took. Based on things Corrine, Terry Lucas and Maggie said and did in Eva's presence, Deanna could have made certain connections, and it makes sense why she would later ambush all three women? Corrine left Gideon all those years ago because his possessiveness scared her? Plants the "dark side" and violence ideas in Deanna's head? The timing of Corrine learning about the new GidEva relationship and her deciding to come back to New York? The idea Gideon tried to make Corrine jealous enough to come back? The fact Maggie viewed Corrine as the main threat? That Gideon did end up dumping Eva for Corrine? Maggie finally giving up on Gideon? The hope that Maggie might be bitter, and so it was worth trying to cultivate Maggie as a source?

Most of all, the Terry-Gideon argument. Deanna would have learned Terry Lucas' name and seen that he and Gideon hated one another. This makes sense why Deanna later said to Eva almost the same thing Terry had weeks before: Gideon's money does not give him the right to order Eva around? Also, Deanna may have already known about the affair Gideon and Anne Lucas had? Now she knew where to find Terry?

I think Deanna filed away everything she learned at the Waldorf dinner about Eva, Corrine and Maggie, and drew her own incorrect conclusions about how each of the three women stood with Gideon? Then sometime soon after, sought out Terry Lucas, maybe at his office? And Terry Lucas poured poison into her mind, like he tried to poison Eva's. Maybe with Deanna, he succeeded, and that's why she's so bent on revenge now? Terry's managed to put the one-night-stand into an evil context, that Gideon is a monster?

Hi Shannon,

The topic is alive. You can find it on The Sylvia Day Fan Comunity/Welcome centre/Introductions and  general discussions/Books as good as the Crossfire Series or following this link:'?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

GiGi has the updated list up to this month, and as she said on that topic, she'll e-mail a copy to you if you send her your email.

Hope that helps

G

Thank you SO much G!  I'm so glad it is still up and running :) Sorry it took me so long to reply, I've been on a business trip, thanks again~

its obvious that D already knew about the Anne thing.. Im betting they are friendly..D quoted Terrys comment to Eva almost word for word...

Im going say NO it wasn't Maggie that said anything. she a family friend as well. she also went to Eva to see if was going to talk to D about Gideon and was relieved to find out she wasn't.

Gideon also said... If she was paying attention she would know how I feel about you. So that tells me that Deanna's gone to ALL the events... That in itself would D off.

D also commented on the fact that she ( EVA ) thawed the Iceman.

Im sure Its public knowledge that the brothers hate each other.  Im betting D is friendly with Christopher and Lizzy because of all the partys they have, being a writer would give her a pass to those as well.

and god only knows what crazy arse Corinne has told her.

its obvious that D already knew about the Anne thing.. Im betting they are friendly..D quoted Terrys comment to Eva almost word for word...

Im going say NO it wasn't Maggie that said anything. she a family friend as well. she also went to Eva to see if was going to talk to D about Gideon and was relieved to find out she wasn't.

Gideon also said... If she was paying attention she would know how I feel about you. So that tells me that Deanna's gone to ALL the events... That in itself would ###### D off.

D also commented on the fact that she ( EVA ) thawed the Iceman.

Im sure Its public knowledge that the brothers hate each other.  Im betting D is friendly with Christopher and Lizzy because of all the partys they have, being a writer would give her a pass to those as well.

I wonder whether one or both of the Lucases has been trying to make Deanna their cat's paw? If you think about the first smear story Deanna was trying to build, that Gideon uses women and is dangerous, it sounds an awful lot like what Terry would have people believe? It's exactly the sort of stuff he tried to convince Eva of that time he caught her in a vulnerable moment in the hospital cafeteria. If Terry managed to sort of brainwash Deanna into that, it would explain her over-the-top reaction to wanting to nail Gideon? If this was the case as Entwined With You opened, is it still the case two weeks later, now that Deanna has had some limited contact with Gideon and Eva? Maybe figured out one or both of the Lucases were trying to use her?

Well, if kah-ray-zee-arse Corrine took the same deceptive approach with Deanna as Corrine had been to mess with Eva's mind, Corrine would have said Gideon had been in her apartment last night (true) and let Deanna make an assumption Gideon had sex with her? Maybe even let Deanna assume Gideon arranged for her to live right around the corner from him, set Corrine up in a lovenest? Tried feeding Deanna bull about how Gideon talks to her every day? That he's had Corrine come to the Crossfire? That's Corrine's usual manipulation M-O, and no matter how agitaged the psych drugs were making her, she probably was still capable of being the coniving little b i t c h. This is the sort of stuff Corrine would love for a reporter to repeat so it would get back to Eva?

If Deanna took the same baiting approach with Corrine that Deanna had with Eva, she would have said Gideon only used Corrine to make Eva jealous enough to choose him over Brett? Tell Deanna how Eva had been kissing Brett after the New York concert several weeks earler, and Gideon caught them? Then point out to Corrine that Gideon went out of his way to get photographed with Corrine twice in the following days? Let Corrine do the math? Then hit Corrine with the Times Square photos taken earlier that night? Say something along the lines of Gideon is so bent on getting Eva back he sought to break-up Eva's evening with Brett?

Questions: did Corrine turn hysterical in front of Deanna? And if so, what possibly could have come out of her mouth then? Because Corrine did go so hysterical Gideon ended up going to check on her again -- and calling Jean-Francois. Gideon told Eva as much later that night. So if Corrine melted down in front of Deanna, what might Deanna do with that info? Because for the first time, Deanna succeeded in getting one of Gideon's women to talk? (Eva refused to discuss Gideon with Deanna, as did Maggie.)

On Sylvia's FB page yesterday was an article, probably a blog, with a dream cast for CROSSFIRE.  Of course, the mention of Henry as G was there with the stipulation that he would most likely not be available and the suggestion was for Stephen Arnell.  Not bad but not Henry. Something not quite right but whatever. It did mention that Sylvia wanted Henry also.  All I kept thinking as I saw the dream cast, most of whom I didn't like, was that I hope and pray we don't get the same crap going on as the FSOG casting has had.  That is moved back another 6 months?  Really.  Will anyone even remember the series by 2015?  I don't want that to happen to CROSSFIRE.  Please.