"Captivated by You"

Sylvia Day

I agree w you two. I mean, I'd like to think he's not nothing to do w the guy trying to release it . But , he's gotta know of it , no? The music video was made w the tape in mind. I really hope it doesn't get released. How many times can Eva be abused? Who knows how many people saw it already , plus there's also the videos/ pics that Nathan had. It's too much.

I am with you here.  I think he knew of the tape.  I think he saw it.  I am wondering if that tape was the inspiration for GOLDEN.  Not saying he didn't like Eva but I think he may have forgotten about her. No doubt he has been with lots of women since Eva. I do not think he is responsible for trying to release it.  There would be nothing in it for him.  I don't think he's that much of an Arse but I do think he knows of its existence.  I also agree that Eva has had enough s hit thrown at her.  

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with you Hotreads I still maintain that Brett was not involved with the release of the sex tape...as Gideon said he wrote a love song about Eva...a guy doesn't lay his heart open like that if he just wants to F U C * around !!! NEED BOOK 4 NOW!!!

sscrph,  

I know you have always been pro Brett but I don't agree as you know.

I don't know how Brett can't know about it.  We know the original video was taken to document Six Nineths rise to fame.  The cameras were put in place to document the behind the scenes activities with their knowledge.  Sam Y had to show the film to the group at some point and Brett had to comment on his "activities with Eva".  My guess is he didn't know that Sam put the "real" Golden video together but if Sam is marketing the video, how is it that Brett hasn't heard anything about it.  Don't you think Sam would try to sell it to Brett and/or the group first.  If nothing else Brett could have given Eva a heads up about what was on the original tape.   

Nathalia, you got me thinking: what is Sam Yimara's present-day connection, if any, to Six-Ninths? Does he presently shoot video of Six-Ninths? In which case, does he directly or indirectly work for Vidal Records? Still work directly with the band members, including Brett? Or was he strictly from the pre-fame days when the band wasn't even Sixth-Ninths yet, but rather, just some local indie band in San Diego?

When Gideon said Sam's name to Eva, she described him as the band's "wannabe videographer." So she'd met Sam back around four years ago, when she'd been a Brett groupie? Gideon told Eva that Sam was claiming he'd "recreated" the Golden video with actual footage of Eva, and that Gideon knew the guy had authentic sex tape stuff. Gideon also claimed he'd gotten an injunction, out in California, to stop the release. Copyright infringement? Video piracy? If I had to guess, there hadn't been recent direct contact between Brett and Sam - that Sam the wannabee got left behind when Six-Ninths made the big leagues. But what happens when Brett finds out from Eva about the sex tape? It's her plan to tell him to his face in San Diego the upcoming first weekend of Captivated By You?

How's this for a fantasy: while in town in San Diego, Brett pays Sam a surprise visit and kicks the slimeball's a s s? Shows Sam some of the same barrroom brawl moves Brett showed Gideon? Or, how's this: Sam gets invited backstage to the Six-Ninths concert in San Diego, only to find himself face to face with Brett and Gideon both?

sscrph,  

I don't know how Brett can't know about it.  We know the original video was taken to document Six Nineths rise to fame.  The cameras were put in place to document the behind the scenes activities with their knowledge.  Sam Y had to show the film to the group at some point and Brett had to comment on his "activities with Eva".  My guess is he didn't know that Sam put the "real" Golden video together but if Sam is marketing the video, how is it that Brett hasn't heard anything about it.  Don't you think Sam would try to sell it to Brett and/or the group first.  If nothing else Brett could have given Eva a heads up about what was on the original tape.   

Tossing out some ideas, maybe Sam found out about Brett's activities with Eva not directly from Brett, but rather, overheard Brett talking about Eva? Eva herself overheard Brett talking crudely about her and laughing -- that's why she vanished on him all those years ago? What if Sam did try to sell the video first -- but to Vidal Records instead of the band itself? The label would have far, far deeper money pockets than the band, especially because Gideon is the money man behind the record label? So does Christopher Vidal Jr. know about the tape? Is that how Deanna found out about it - that the tape existed and an "auction" was "imminent"? Found out in Times Square the night of the real video premiere? She was there covering that event. Is this also how Lizzie knows about Eva's past with Brett? Because Christopher Jr. or maybe Chris Sr. told her? Or did Deanna tell her? Deanna was at the fundraiser that final night in Entwined With You, the one where Lizzie threatened Eva?

So many possible connections. So so many ways this sex tape thing could play itself out in Captivated By You.

I don't want to come across as pro-Brett. Not yet. Everything rides on how he reacts to the sex tape and the news of the engagement. Will he become the ex who take the high road, like Magdalene? Or start fighting dirty, like Corrine? Presently, I think he's been fighting fair thus far, so I'm not putting him in the enemy camp yet. I put him in the "complication" camp.

Think about him looking at GidEva from the outside: After three years of wondering where she was and why she'd vanished, he found Eva one night hanging outside the stage door at a concert? She returned his passionate kiss. Then he found out about Gideon. A couple of days later, he used the Internet to track down where she worked? If he read gossip about her and Gideon, he'd seen the sudden news Gideon's ex-fiancée was back? At lunch, Brett asked Eva about her relationship, and could tell it was troubled? 100% true that day, that week. Eva took him to lunch, and she accepted his apology? He was honest he wanted to try to win another shot? And wasn't going to give up easily? Then he went back out on the road, and Eva began making the news as having been dumped?

A couple of weeks later, he returned to New York, and she agreed to accompany him to a high-profile publicity event? At the time, he believed she was single. At the event, he saw with his own eyes Gideon was trying to get another shot too? (Brett had no way of knowing GidEva already secretly were back together. All he could have been able to tell was Gideon was making a move for the first time?) So Brett decided to keep trying for his second shot too? May the best man win? Eva went out to dinner with Brett that night and invited him back to her place afterward, so as far as Brett knew, he still was first in line for a second shot, not Gideon?

That's how things stood when Entwined With You wrapped up on a Thursday night. But that night, GidEva went public as being back together. Brett's likely going to wake up Friday morning to the tabloids going crazy over the news Gideon and Eva are "engaged." At that point, will he think, "OK, Cross wins. I give up. She loves him, not me. Cross figured out he messed up badly, begged Eva for another chance, and won her back." ?????

Last word on Brett, well for today, that is. Know who needs to make Brett go away? Eva. She needs to Cut. The. Guy. Off. It's not like he's been stalking her. She keeps agreeing to see him. Took him out to lunch. Went with him to the video premiere. Took him out to dinner. Even invited him back to her apartment. Yeesh, Eva, talk about mixed messages. Ya think? Well, now that she's taken vows to "foresake all others" Brett needs to be the first on the foresaken list. Maybe the upcoming visit to San Diego involves her telling Brett goodbye, that it wouldn't be appropriate for them to even be friends anymore?

I am with you here.  I think he knew of the tape.  I think he saw it.  I am wondering if that tape was the inspiration for GOLDEN.  Not saying he didn't like Eva but I think he may have forgotten about her. No doubt he has been with lots of women since Eva. I do not think he is responsible for trying to release it.  There would be nothing in it for him.  I don't think he's that much of an Arse but I do think he knows of its existence.  I also agree that Eva has had enough s hit thrown at her.  

Nathalia, you got me thinking: what is Sam Yimara's present-day connection, if any, to Six-Ninths? Does he presently shoot video of Six-Ninths? In which case, does he directly or indirectly work for Vidal Records? Still work directly with the band members, including Brett? Or was he strictly from the pre-fame days when the band wasn't even Sixth-Ninths yet, but rather, just some local indie band in San Diego?

When Gideon said Sam's name to Eva, she described him as the band's "wannabe videographer." So she'd met Sam back around four years ago, when she'd been a Brett groupie? Gideon told Eva that Sam was claiming he'd "recreated" the Golden video with actual footage of Eva, and that Gideon knew the guy had authentic sex tape stuff. Gideon also claimed he'd gotten an injunction, out in California, to stop the release. Copyright infringement? Video piracy? If I had to guess, there hadn't been recent direct contact between Brett and Sam - that Sam the wannabee got left behind when Six-Ninths made the big leagues. But what happens when Brett finds out from Eva about the sex tape? It's her plan to tell him to his face in San Diego the upcoming first weekend of Captivated By You?

How's this for a fantasy: while in town in San Diego, Brett pays Sam a surprise visit and kicks the slimeball's a s s? Shows Sam some of the same barrroom brawl moves Brett showed Gideon? Or, how's this: Sam gets invited backstage to the Six-Ninths concert in San Diego, only to find himself face to face with Brett and Gideon both?

I like those fantasy's . Let them team up to protect Eva and make the video go away....for good. There's no way that Gideon's going to let Eva go by herself

Tossing out some ideas, maybe Sam found out about Brett's activities with Eva not directly from Brett, but rather, overheard Brett talking about Eva? Eva herself overheard Brett talking crudely about her and laughing -- that's why she vanished on him all those years ago? What if Sam did try to sell the video first -- but to Vidal Records instead of the band itself? The label would have far, far deeper money pockets than the band, especially because Gideon is the money man behind the record label? So does Christopher Vidal Jr. know about the tape? Is that how Deanna found out about it - that the tape existed and an "auction" was "imminent"? Found out in Times Square the night of the real video premiere? She was there covering that event. Is this also how Lizzie knows about Eva's past with Brett? Because Christopher Jr. or maybe Chris Sr. told her? Or did Deanna tell her? Deanna was at the fundraiser that final night in Entwined With You, the one where Lizzie threatened Eva?

So many possible connections. So so many ways this sex tape thing could play itself out in Captivated By You.

That's true...a lot could have/did  happen the night of the video launch. It still makes me a little angry that Eva went and was up on stage w/ the band etc. Then the dinner, and inviting Brett back to the apartment. Definitely mixed signals. She was saying one thing, but acting the opposite...IMO. And Deanna saw everything. I hope she really does become an ally to Eva and Gideon.

Last word on Brett, well for today, that is. Know who needs to make Brett go away? Eva. She needs to Cut. The. Guy. Off. It's not like he's been stalking her. She keeps agreeing to see him. Took him out to lunch. Went with him to the video premiere. Took him out to dinner. Even invited him back to her apartment. Yeesh, Eva, talk about mixed messages. Ya think? Well, now that she's taken vows to "foresake all others" Brett needs to be the first on the foresaken list. Maybe the upcoming visit to San Diego involves her telling Brett goodbye, that it wouldn't be appropriate for them to even be friends anymore?

I don't think it would be appropriate. What happened between them happened 4 years ago. She's MARRIED, he wants her back. They just need to cut communications. I feel bad if Brett really is looking for something serious w/ Eva, but....too late buddy! :)

Uggghhhh....when is this book coming out?!  Just saw on Amazon that Afterburn got pushed to MARCH! March! Seriously??

I have a question for everyone.  We know that Lizzie called Gideon to the hospital for Corrine's OD/suicide attempt.  We also know that Corrine's parents talked to him and as JFG said to Eva, you would think  that Gideon was the husband instead of him.  My question is how did Lizzie know about the attempt and show up at the hospital?  Would Corrine's parents have called Lizzie?  Did Corrine call Lizzie or maybe Christopher Jr when she took the pills since Gideon was not taking her calls? 

Guess the reason I am asking is that this all goes to state of mind of certain people - I am especially thinking about Corrine, Lizzie and maybe even Christopher Jr.  If Corrine took pills and then called someone (Lizzie or Christopher Jr) then it was definitely a manipulation of the situation and she fully expected to be found (cry for help or way to get Gideon's attention!).   Then there is the question of why Lizzie would even call Gideon.  It is not as though Gideon was going to be able to do anything there at the hospital except wait with the family - and JFG was already there!  I can't help but wonder what Lizzie was thinking. 

I have a question for everyone.  We know that Lizzie called Gideon to the hospital for Corrine's OD/suicide attempt.  We also know that Corrine's parents talked to him and as JFG said to Eva, you would think  that Gideon was the husband instead of him.  My question is how did Lizzie know about the attempt and show up at the hospital?  Would Corrine's parents have called Lizzie?  Did Corrine call Lizzie or maybe Christopher Jr when she took the pills since Gideon was not taking her calls? 

Guess the reason I am asking is that this all goes to state of mind of certain people - I am especially thinking about Corrine, Lizzie and maybe even Christopher Jr.  If Corrine took pills and then called someone (Lizzie or Christopher Jr) then it was definitely a manipulation of the situation and she fully expected to be found (cry for help or way to get Gideon's attention!).   Then there is the question of why Lizzie would even call Gideon.  It is not as though Gideon was going to be able to do anything there at the hospital except wait with the family - and JFG was already there!  I can't help but wonder what Lizzie was thinking. 

Throwing out two additional sets of related questions:

1. Who convinced Gideon to go Corrine's apartment the week before the OD, where he had that conversation that convinced him 1. antidepressants were making Corrine worse and 2. it was time for him to call JFG? Was it Christopher Jr.? Or Lizzie?

Because the night of the video premiere, Corrine was calling Christopher. We readers know that, because Eva was standing right there when Christopher snarked to his brother that if Gideon did not want to talk to Corrine, Gideon should not have gone to see her the night before. We also know, because Eva snooped into his cell phone the following week, Gideon hadn't called Corrine himself in a while and apparently was letting Corrine's calls go to voice mail. So we know Corrine was trying to get at Gideon via his brother. It stands to reason she was also trying to get at Gideon via his mother? Stupid -- shows just how little Corrine knew the real Gideon.

2. How did JFG correctly guess, the Monday after GidEva's secret wedding trip, that the tan line on Eva's hand gave away the fact she'd been given an engagement ring? How so accurate a guess? Because Eva was not wearing the ring at the time she met with JFG. Was this because Lizzie knew about Gideon getting her old engagement ring? And if so, had Lizzie jumped to the wrong conclusion the engagement ring was for Corrine? And if so, and was in direct contact with Corrine, did Lizzie tell Corrine about it? Was poor delusional Corrine thinking the ring was meant for her? Had JFG somehow found out, too?

When JFG asked Eva if she was engaged, Eva asked him to keep his speculation to himself. But JFG walked away from that meeting convinced he now had a shot at getting his wife back. And at some point, he told Corrine about the engagement. Because fast forward to the hospital waiting room, where Eva got JFG to confirm he'd told Corrine. JFG claimed the news is what led to the OD. When did JFG tell Corrine? When did she swallow the bottle of pills? Immediately? Or did she wait? After taking the pills, did she call for help? Who? Or did someone find her? If so, who?

Uggghhhh....when is this book coming out?!  Just saw on Amazon that Afterburn got pushed to MARCH! March! Seriously??

Well, at least we can't blame that on Penguin. Afterburn is a different publisher. But Sylvia's been burned -- no pun intended -- yet again by a publisher. No wonder she wants the Captivated By You release date 101% set in stone before she tells the fandom.

Amen to that!

More questions to throw out there, how did Corrine reconnect with the Vidal family?

Did Lizzie re-establish contact with Corrine as soon as Gideon appeared to have gotten back together with Corrine? Maybe Lizzie was hoping Corrine could be the means by which Lizzie could bridge the estrangement with her son? Has Lizzie been pulling for Corrine all along? Or did Lizzie suddenly turn pro-Corrine after Eva confronted Lizzie about having been a bad mother? As the saying goes, "The enemy of my enemy is my friend" -- and so as Eva's enemy, Corrine was now Lizzie's friend?

Or was Corrine the one who first re-established contact with Gideon's family? And if so, when? Soon after Corrine came back to New York? Or was it when Gideon started taking her out? Or when he cut her off by telling Corrine the two of them should not spend time together anymore? Has Corrine been trying any means possible to get close to Gideon, desperation that included getting close to his family, even though he barely talked to his relatives? Part of her stalking?

Avid Reader is right - questions like this go to Lizzie's state of mind. Why was Lizzie at the hospital, and why did she call Gideon? What was Lizzie hoping to accomplish on Corrine's behalf?

sscrph,  

Love all this debate and theories about Brett just like old times but I'm "standing by my man!!"

Well, at least we can't blame that on Penguin. Afterburn is a different publisher. But Sylvia's been burned -- no pun intended -- yet again by a publisher. No wonder she wants the Captivated By You release date 101% set in stone before she tells the fandom.

Afterburn in March ????? That's ridiculous that book is only a few pages long lol!!! I'm sorry to say I'd that's the case we won't see CBY until June 2014. :(. :(

Afterburn in March ????? That's ridiculous that book is only a few pages long lol!!! I'm sorry to say I'd that's the case we won't see CBY until June 2014. :(. :(

Ridiculous is putting it mildly. It's like they're holding the book hostage!!! This is yet another reason why I will refuse to get involved in a "book series" (after book 4 & 5 are released), until all books have been published. Life is way too short (& chock-full) of a million books to read.

Considering the Red Hot Reads book, Aftershock, is coming out next week and then Spellbound in December, I doubt we will see Captivated by You before New Years. Also, I think that Brett's involvement will come to an end during the San Diego trip and other enemy/frenemy story lines will be decided as good or bad in the third book. Considering how detailed the days and how short of a time span each book is, I am sure Sylvia will make the last book a wrap up with the happy ending we want.

As for that hoe Corrine, I think Gideon will come to a point in his emotional and mental state where he realizes he isn't too blame. I think this change will come with Eva's help, especially since they are married and Gideon feels more secure with the marriage. I think Giraoux (spelling?) will take Corrine back, but I really want to see a showdown between Corrine and Eva. Not a one-line cutting remark and then walking off with a flip of the hair, but a really heated shouting match where we get to see some really good character expression.

I think the bracelet issue will be discovered and be pretty anti climatic. I think the purpose of the bracelet was to make the reader feel secure about prison for both of them not being an issue. Also, someone is gonna get an Arse kicking for the sex vid. 

And my last thought is about the  back cover Sylvia released. The dark past of Gideon that pushes Eva to question her ability to be with Gideon is foreshadowing some BDSM. I think that things are gonna get a lot kinkier in the next two books. 

Totally off topic but I am curious.  Is SPELLBOUND  a novella, new book, or a reissue of an older book?  I have read everything Sylvia has written but the paranormal crap.  I don't want to buy something I already read by a different name.  If it is new, I will order it.

sscrph,  

I agree Sharon. 

Hi Sscrph,

You and the other forum members can call Penguin Publishing to express your dislike of the delay of the various book release dates.  I am sure that if they field enough unhappy calls, they may decide to change their minds about the release dates.

I am not sure who is publishing the Afterburn/Aftershock books, but it might be worth investigating to see if it is a sister-company of Penguin, or something.  A phone call or two, or ten thousand, may make the executives decide speed up the release dates.   It is just a thought.  :)

More questions to throw out there, how did Corrine reconnect with the Vidal family?

Did Lizzie re-establish contact with Corrine as soon as Gideon appeared to have gotten back together with Corrine? Maybe Lizzie was hoping Corrine could be the means by which Lizzie could bridge the estrangement with her son? Has Lizzie been pulling for Corrine all along? Or did Lizzie suddenly turn pro-Corrine after Eva confronted Lizzie about having been a bad mother? As the saying goes, "The enemy of my enemy is my friend" -- and so as Eva's enemy, Corrine was now Lizzie's friend?

Or was Corrine the one who first re-established contact with Gideon's family? And if so, when? Soon after Corrine came back to New York? Or was it when Gideon started taking her out? Or when he cut her off by telling Corrine the two of them should not spend time together anymore? Has Corrine been trying any means possible to get close to Gideon, desperation that included getting close to his family, even though he barely talked to his relatives? Part of her stalking?

Avid Reader is right - questions like this go to Lizzie's state of mind. Why was Lizzie at the hospital, and why did she call Gideon? What was Lizzie hoping to accomplish on Corrine's behalf?

Hi Hotreads,

I read your posting and I wonder if it would make any difference what-so -ever?  Gideon had close to no relationship with his mother and he certainly hasn't taken or sought counsel from his mother.  So what difference would it make if Corinne was friends, sought out a friendship with Elizabeth Vidal or even if Elizabeth Vidal sought out a friendship with Corinne? 

If anything, Corinne accepting a friendship with Elizabeth Vidal would have put a strain on her potential budding relationship with Gideon.  Gideon clearly dislikes his mother and stays clear of the remaining family members (several references were made in the first two books). 

Surely Corinne couldn't have been that obtuse in not recognizing a very strained relationship between him and his mother?  What does everyone think? 

Hi lady's I know a lot of you are not very happy at the mo with the back date of aftershock I am one of them not happy at all if you go to the front of your afterburn book you will get the address web site address to write emails to them I think it is very unfair for them to say aftershock would be out on the 12th nov and we the readers have been waiting months for this book then put a new release date for the march 14 they are not thing how we the readers will be upset by what they are doing to sylvia herself and her fans

IM going to say that Lizzy  thought Corinne was back in the picture, that is why Im sure Gideon was called to the hosp. Jean was really checking Eva out at that drink. he is a wise man and he said he saw the ring mark. He Im sure jumped at the chance to Tell Corinne that Gideon moved on hoping her could get his wife back..he as much as told that to Eva.

This is what is baffling me.. the next morning Gideon told eva about that tape.. He ALSO said Deanna caught up with him in the lobby..Lets think about this.. EVA"S LOBBY. she was waiting to ambush Eva and got Gideon instead. So Deanna knew about the tape..Who told her is my question.. and she is ONLY rattling Gideon's cage not helping him..

So I want to know who backing Deanna's information.. Christopher?

IM going to say that Lizzy  thought Corinne was back in the picture, that is why Im sure Gideon was called to the hosp. Jean was really checking Eva out at that drink. he is a wise man and he said he saw the ring mark. He Im sure jumped at the chance to Tell Corinne that Gideon moved on hoping her could get his wife back..he as much as told that to Eva.

This is what is baffling me.. the next morning Gideon told eva about that tape.. He ALSO said Deanna caught up with him in the lobby..Lets think about this.. EVA"S LOBBY. she was waiting to ambush Eva and got Gideon instead. So Deanna knew about the tape..Who told her is my question.. and she is ONLY rattling Gideon's cage not helping him..

I really think Christopher is in this up to his neck!   Deanna is supposed to be a good reporter and could have many other sources, but it wouldn't suprise me in the least if Christopher isn't involved. 

Christopher certainly knew about the Golden video and how personal it would be to Eva and threw her (and Gideon) to the wolves in front of everyone at the video release.  He even tried to pull Gideon away from Eva at their reunion at the release, and Gideon had to tell him to walk away!  In my mind, that was not about Corrine, that was about business, but I think it was to distract Gideon from paying too much attention to what else was going on. 

I would not be surprised if the bands videographer contacted the record label (Christopher Jr) regarding the "real" Golden video that he had.  After all, when you want to get a bidding war going, you have to get buyers.  Christopher knew.  He wants to hurt Eva and he wants to hurt Gideon. 

I am in the camp that believes that both Gideon and Christopher were abused by Hugh and neither realize that the other one was.  Both boys have issues with women but they react different ways.  Gideon has gone after those that hurt him - Hugh, Dr. Terry, etc.  Christopher may be doing the same thing if in his mind he thinks Gideon brought Hugh into his life and Gideon is 'responsible' for Christophers' abuse.

I think you're right, that Deanna was in Eva's lobby that night planning to ambush her again, just like Deanna ambushed Eva in the first chapter of Entwined With You.

Personally, I'm convinced Christopher Jr. is Deanna's source about the sex tape. How this for some theories?

Deanna knows about the hatred between the two brothers? She's observed how they act around one another in high-society settings where she's been covering, sniffing around for stories? It wouldn't take much asking around to uncover that there's bad blood between Gideon and Christopher? So as soon as Deanna launched her plan to smear Gideon, she started cultivating Christopher as a source? He'd be a natural choice if she were seeking to unearth stuff in Gideon's past.

So Sam Yimara recreates the Golden video with real sex-tape footage of Eva and Brett, and he starts shopping around for a buyer. Was Vidal Records the first place he tried? Figuring the record label would pay to suppress the tape? Though Chris Sr. heads the company, Christopher Jr. does much of the hands-on management -- or mismanagement in his case, nearly running the label into the ground, which is why Gideon financially rescued the company.