Reflected in You **spoiler thread**

Sylvia Day

Hi LN,

There is one thing I think everyone forgets about these cases. The detectives notes are not sealed and all a person would need to do is look to see who the detective was on that case. A detective always gets to keep his/her notes. Even after a law enforcement officer retires, they keep their notes. A police officer/detective, lawyer, etc. could simply ask the detective who investigated the initial complaint who the victim was in that case and could get around the "rape shield law", which quite frankly isn't worth the paper it has been written on (meaning that there have been so many challenges made to that law that is has more holes in it than swiss cheese).

I also just thought of something else. If Gideon and Eva get married, can a spouse be forced to testify against his/her partner? My thought is no. Does spousal priviledge not apply? Those are just my thoughts. I look forward to the discussion. Thanks.

GiGi

Hi GiGi

Spousal privilege would apply. That is the easy answer for this whole mess.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sylvia told me in a tweet during Bared To You that Corrine is a good person. I didn't like her then and I still don't. I want Corrine gone just like Eva does! LoL! Guess I'm the jealous type.

I agree. I don't like her at all either. Between that stunt outside the crossfire building and then the way she spoke to Eva outside her apartment. Regardless of who was (or wasn't) with Corinne in her apartment, she was condescending and disgustingly triumphant when she said that Gideon was spending time with her instead of Eva.

Gideon said once that Corinne was sweet and never had a bad thing to say about anyone, but she's sure shown otherwise towards Eva. I think she's just one of those women that knows how to wrap a man around her finger....and knows it.

Sylvia told me in a tweet during Bared To You that Corrine is a good person. I didn't like her then and I still don't. I want Corrine gone just like Eva does! LoL! Guess I'm the jealous type.

I think I saw that tweet. ;)

Perhaps Sylvia had a change of heart with Corrine because IMO she was a bit*h to Eva in RIY. Trying to make her jealous even before her little game with Gideon began.

I think I saw that tweet. ;)

Perhaps Sylvia had a change of heart with Corrine because IMO she was a bit*h to Eva in RIY. Trying to make her jealous even before her little game with Gideon began.

Hi GiGi

Spousal privilege would apply. That is the easy answer for this whole mess.

Spousal privilege only applies to events and communications during a marriage...at least in the USA. Even if the two people later get married, anything before the marriage (or after a divorce) can be compelled in court. 

I do really, really, really hope they get married though!

I agree with ya, but when the police left Eva went to her bedroom & locked door, now he's my thinking..when Gid. came back in Eva was in her room.. so Victor was or so I think maybe he was feeling feel to ask Gid. all about this and who knows what was talked about then. My thoughts!   :)

Good point! I wondered if Victor would have asked Gideon if he knew anything...or Cary since he knows him better...

Reading all these other comments is making me rethink the detectives motives...i was just really hoping she was being nice ...lol..maybe Eva's situation is personal to her in some way. I know that cops don't really get to choose what happens in open cases....but they could just not do anything about it. Let it go cold.If the only person who cared about Nathan was his father, and he considered him dead years ago, there's no one really to answer to. no one to really push the case. I didn't think she'd really throw out her notes tho..Idk what to believe! lol

This chatting is so much fun!

I agree with ya, but when the police left Eva went to her bedroom & locked door, now he's my thinking..when Gid. came back in Eva was in her room.. so Victor was or so I think maybe he was feeling feel to ask Gid. all about this and who knows what was talked about then. My thoughts!   :)

Good point! I wondered if Victor would have asked Gideon if he knew anything...or Cary since he knows him better...

Reading all these other comments is making me rethink the detectives motives...i was just really hoping she was being nice ...lol..maybe Eva's situation is personal to her in some way. I know that cops don't really get to choose what happens in open cases....but they could just not do anything about it. Let it go cold.If the only person who cared about Nathan was his father, and he considered him dead years ago, there's no one really to answer to. no one to really push the case. I didn't think she'd really throw out her notes tho..Idk what to believe! lol

This chatting is so much fun!

Yeah, I agree, we all don't like Corinne cos she sounds like the kind of women who are sweet and "never says a bad word about anyone" in front of men but are catty inside. Annoying esp since Gideon falls for it..(Like Elena to Christian in Fifty Shades)

hope there will be a showdown in Entwined where Gideon will see her true colours..

Hi Michele! Was Sylvia's tweet strictly in a Bared to You discussion -- i.e. before Reflected In You came out -- or -- in a discussion thread that totally avoided any Reflected spoilers? Because in Bared, Corrine is described as a good person, and even though I think she messes with Eva's mind a bit at the Waldorf dinner, she's not catty. (Certainly not catty like Magdalena had been first time she crossed paths with Eva)

But the Corrine we see in Reflected is fighting dirty, trying not once but twice to trick Eva into thinking she (Corrine) is sleeping with Gideon, knowing Eva's jealousy would destroy the relationship.

Speaking of catty women - throwing out for discussion people's thoughts on Magdalena taking Eva's side once Corrine shows up. Genuine remorse for how she treated Eva? Or one of those "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" situations where Magdalena does not want Corrine to win Gideon back. If Magdalena can't have Gideon (her hopes are gone because of that video of her having sex with Christopher) then Magdalena would rather see him with anyone else, even Eva, than with Corrine.

My theory - it's the latter. Magdalena is still a catty little witch who's simply turned her claws onto another target.

Yeah, I agree, we all don't like Corinne cos she sounds like the kind of women who are sweet and "never says a bad word about anyone" in front of men but are catty inside. Annoying esp since Gideon falls for it..(Like Elena to Christian in Fifty Shades)

hope there will be a showdown in Entwined where Gideon will see her true colours..

I agree with ya here, though I'm not liking Corrine at all, she is B**ch!! 

Spousal privilege only applies to events and communications during a marriage...at least in the USA. Even if the two people later get married, anything before the marriage (or after a divorce) can be compelled in court. 

I do really, really, really hope they get married though!

You're right about spousal privilege applying only to events and communications during a marriage, not before. They couldn't make Eva testify that Gideon confessed something to her after they got married. So she'd have to stick to a lie that she knew nothing before then, not when she was his girlfriend or his ex-girlfriend either -- that he kept her in the dark all the time, right on up to the marriage.

(Remember, it's pretty clear that even though Eva and Gideon get back together at the end of Reflected, at least in the early part of Entwined, they're hiding the fact they are. And from something Sylvia tweeted to me, Gideon is having to learn to trust Eva more while she continues to keep up a public act that she's done with him.

LN Cronan:

It was only when BTY was first released and I told Sylvia I wanted Corinne to disappear, feeling Eva's jealousy. LoL.

Corinne and Magdalena are just enjoying being near Mr. Untouchable and are agitating Eva because Gideon hasn't cut them off. I have a cute husband that women flirt with and he's usually oblivious ... or knows better to not to act on it... and visa versa. It's a respect thing, and Eva feels her place isnt being acknowledged. I feel for Eva. . These women are driving we readers CRAZY! Lol

Sylvia must laugh at our theories! We'll know how it unfolds in time. Whatever happens will be awesome because Sylvia is.

I agree with ya, but when the police left Eva went to her bedroom & locked door, now he's my thinking..when Gid. came back in Eva was in her room.. so Victor was or so I think maybe he was feeling feel to ask Gid. all about this and who knows what was talked about then. My thoughts!  :)

Hi xomissmaria,

Thank you for your warm welcome. :) I agree with you about Victor. Who knows what happened after Eva went to bed. I guess we will have to wait and see what happens in the third installment of the series. Now all I have to do is cross off the days on my calendar until June....sigh! :)

GiGi you're absolutely right about "spousal privilege" making it almost impossible for prosecutors to force a person to testify against his/her husband or wife. In fact one of my Entwined theories is that Gideon and Eva are going to elope for that very reason as the cops try to close in. Thus the luggage tag. I can't wait until June to see if I'm right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Detective notes are not public documents; indeed, they're closely guarded secrets. Ask any journalist who covers the crime beat (I used to be one) who tries to get detailed information about a case, especially a murder, in its early stages. There is something known as a affidavit, which often become public once a suspect is arrested and then arraigned in court . Those aren't the same thing as detective notes. An affidavit is a basic summary about why the prosecution believes it has enough evidence to charge the accused and bring him/her to trial.

Detectives never destroy their notes, especially homicide detectives and most especially in "open" cases  (that is, a case in which no arrest has been made.) When Detective Graves said to Eva "I burned my notes" it confirmed my suspicion Graves was lying through her teeth. Cops can and do lie to trick suspects and sometimes witnesses. Fair? No. But they'll do what it takes, short of committing crimes themselves (entrapment), to try to bring someone to justice.

As for all the old sealed court records in the seven-million dollar civil lawsuit Nathan's father settled with Monica because his son raped her daughter, the police would have subpoenaed them and gotten copies quite easily, copies they've got tucked away with the rest of the stuff in their investigation files. That does not mean the court records are now unsealed and anyone can go to the courthouse to view them as public records. Someone (usually a news organization) would have to fight to convince a judge to unseal.

If -- IF -- Gideon were charged with murder, his defense team gets copies of everything in the detectives'/prosecution's files, per his constitutional rights (Sixth Amendment) to face his accusers. Facing an accuser means getting to see every piece of evidence the prosecution has against a defendant. But that doesn't automatically those files public either. In fact, the last thing the defense wants is copies of every last incriminating thing being thrown at their client being public (and thus all over the news.) Only if there is a trial and something in the files gets introduced into evidence does that thing become public.

One last thing - even if the detectives might feel that maybe what Gideon did was justifiable homicide, they don't get to drop the case. It's up to the prosecution (district attorney's office) whether or not to drop it. And a case like this would be irresistible to an ambitious prosecutor wanting the limelight. A famous billionaire whose father escaped justice for a Ponzi scheme by killing himself? The billionaire son now accused of an even worse crime, first degree murder? And the motive for the murder being because the victim was a rapist terrorizing the woman the defendant loves? Good lord, outside the courthouse would look like NASA, there would be so many satellite trucks lined up from networks covering the case.

HI LN,

Thank you for your comments. What I was specifically referring to was the rape shield law. No one knew about what happened between Eva and Nathan except her mother, Monica, Stanton and Nathan's dad. What transpired between the parties was strictly a civil settlement. I don't believe that criminal prosecutors were involved in this at all and if I am not mistaken, Monica did not go to the police. There is no way that any prosecutor in his/her right mind would ever agree to allow a case with so much documented physical evidence (ie. the hospital records and the obvious physical trauma and subsequent miscarriage, etc.) or a person who is so clearly violent (ie. Nathan) to be dismissed and go to civil court. That prosecutor would probably loose their job or be ousted out of office. In the United States of America, are prosecutors not appointed or elected to their position?

1. So what I think Victor would have been fishing for would have been how exactly his daughter Eva was connected to Nathan and that digging would have uncovered the sexual abuse and the settlement. I don't think that Victor would have dug into Nathan's murder without some kind of evidence or link between Nathan and Eva. Had Nathan never brutally and repeatedly raped Eva, and then his father never covered up these crimes (ie. absolving Nathan of being accountable for his actions), he wouldn't have been murdered. Then again, we wouldn't have something to talk about either. :)

2. The second issue is Nathan's murder. I agree with you that some detectives lie, and mislead suspects. Absolutely, but there is a missing link here. How did the detectives latch onto Eva exactly. The detectives said that the hotel room was filled with photos of Eva and remnants of her trash etc., but what I want to know is if he had videos of the rapes. That would give a definitive causal link between Nathan and Eva. It was mentioned in the book that Nathan came looking for a "payday" of sorts when he tried to extort money out of Stanton and supposedly Gideon. Remember, the repeated rapes were never reported and the police cannot investigate a crime that hasn't been brought to their attention. As such Eva is not entitled to protection under the "Rape Shield Law". She never made a complaint to the police or to the courts. The lawyers sealing the settlement details would only have resulted in a person paying a monetary sum of money if they broke, what is in essence a contract of non-disclosure.

3. As for the court records, the police would have to establish a causal link between Eva and Nathan, and Nathan's attempted extortion of said rapes from Stanton and Gideon. The police would have to prove that Nathan came looking for his payday. I would like to think that Stanton did not mention to the police that Nathan tried to extort him. It again, would put him under suspicion for the death of Nathan. As far as Gideon is concerned, the only documented evidence that the police has is Nathan walking outside of the Crossfire Building. Gideon would not give the police ammunition to look at him as a suspect. Thus far the only thing the police has is speculation. Unless Nathan wrote something down (or had some kind of notation in the form of a diary, email, journal, etc.) about having met with Gideon about trying to extort them, the police would still have no evidence.

4. You are right about the prosecution have the discretion about whom to bring to trial. Just think about it for a moment. You have some eager beaver prosecutor who stupidly brings to trial one of the wealthiest, most good looking, philanthropic men in all of New York without a shred of evidence. How long do you think that person would remain in office. The next position that prosecutor would have would be to ask the customer if "they want french fries with their order?" the only light that prosecutor would be exposed to would be the warming lights of the french station of the local burger joint. :)

Those are just my thoughts. :) I appreciate everyone's thoughts too. :)

LN Cronan:

It was only when BTY was first released and I told Sylvia I wanted Corinne to disappear, feeling Eva's jealousy. LoL.

Corinne and Magdalena are just enjoying being near Mr. Untouchable and are agitating Eva because Gideon hasn't cut them off. I have a cute husband that women flirt with and he's usually oblivious ... or knows better to not to act on it... and visa versa. It's a respect thing, and Eva feels her place isnt being acknowledged. I feel for Eva. . These women are driving we readers CRAZY! Lol

Sylvia must laugh at our theories! We'll know how it unfolds in time. Whatever happens will be awesome because Sylvia is.

Hi Michele,

I think you made a really valid point. I think these women are suffering from a case of sour grapes. Corrine had the opportunity to have Gideon and blew it in the end (Gideon wasn't in love with her). Magdalene never stood a chance because Gideon never had any interest in her.

What I find most interesting is how often this kind of thing happens in real life. These women are so stuck on the "hope" of having a relationship with Gideon that they end up degrading themselves. Any woman who has a shred of self respect, would have picked herself, maybe eaten a gallon or two of ice cream and then gone on with her life. :)

Wow this is another book in itself lol what dies nbsp mean im list there lol and all this talk is msking me crazzzzyyyyyyy omg does anyone think gid will get away with this and him snd eva will be ok to be together sgsin plse say yes lol

Hi ValGirl,

Sorry about the long list of theories. I suppose that I have been sitting here speculating myself about the state of Eva and Gideon's relationship...sigh! I think if June doesn't come around soon, my fingers may fall off from replying to all the group comments. Then how on earth will I be able to hold on to the NEXT BOOK? :)

LN Cronan:

Thanks Michele! This leads to a spoiler question I have for Sylvia about Reflected, well a two-part question concerning the two Other Women:

1. Is Corrine still a nice, kind person who is pulling these stunts because she's feeling desperate? Or has she finally snapped and turned angry/bitter and so turned conniving in Reflected?

2. Magdalena: has she turned from conniving to genuinely remorseful? Or is she still as ruthless as ever, and the only reason she's allied herself with Eva is the cliché "the enemy of my enemy is my friend." Meaning that Magdalena still thinks Corrine is the ultimate threat, and because Eva is a threat to Corrine, Magdalena is temporarily allying herself with Eva?

Regarding Eva's Dad, Victor, in Reflected on the night of the dinner at Eva's, my guess is that soon as Eva shut herself in her bedroom, he cornered Gideon, demanding Gideon tell him what was the deal about Nathan. Gideon obviously kept his mouth shut. And remember, Gideon's sister Ireland was there. The polite thing to do would have been to leave immediately to take Ireland home, now that the dinner was over and the hostess had suddenly gone to bed because she was feeling sick. I'm sure Ireland was Gideon's out to leave right away rather than face Victor badgering him for some sort of answers.

In Reflected, Victor then did some online digging on Gideon later that night or early the next morning. Victor was the one who first spotted the online newspaper picture of Gideon partying with Corrine on Thursday night. Victor then showed that picture to Eva on Saturday morning (i.e. the morning after dinner that ended with the detectives showing at Eva's.) We know what happened next -- it was the last straw for Eva. She immediately called up Gideon and dumped him over Corrine.

My guess is we'll see more of Victor in Entwined, that he's going to find out Nathan wasn't simply some bully (the lie Eva told Victor) and that Nathan tried blackmailing Stanton and probably tried to blackmail Gideon too. And find out that all those years ago, Eva's mom, Monica, quietly settled the rape case in civil court for millions of dollars rather than making sure Nathan went to prison. I can see Victor flying out to New York and angrily confronting Monica at the very least. Not stopping there, Victor could then turn his anger on Stanton for his (Stanton) having helped to continue to hush up the whole Nathan nightmare, both in the past (shelling out money to further tighten the secrecy seals on the old case against Nathan) as well as Stanton opting against going to the police immediately after Nathan showed up to blackmail him. And maybe next on Victor's list would be to confront Gideon to demand answers out of him too.

Victor loves his daughter with all his heart. And Victor is a cop. He would have wanted to see Nathan in prison for what Nathan did. Instead, rich people surrounding Eva tried resorting to using their wealth to keep the Nathan situation secret.

WOW, Ladies!!!!

Your insights and theories are amazing!! They are giving me my Eva/Gideon fix on this cold winter's morning.

THANK-YOU!

I do feel, too, that Victor will play a prominent role in EIY----the fact that he is a detective--his curiosity had to have been sparked by what happened at Eva's apartment on Friday night.

Do you think that it is just a coincidence that he came to NY to visit Eva at this time?

What is nbsp?

Gigi, I don't think the videos Nayhan made of Eva is from the rape. I think that throughout the years, Nathan followed Eva and got videos of her during her bad time, before she started therapy. Eva says that she had a time that she was really behaving really bad, so I think that was it and then Nathan always followed her.

Just a thought