One Chapter A Day - Re-Read Of Bared and Entwined

LN Cronan

I've been friends for a long time with a guy who is bisexual. The only way he differs from me sexually (I'm a straight woman) is that he's got a larger pool of people to choose from.

When it comes to sexual attraction, none of us deliberately and consciously decides "oh there's a good candidate -- I'll start desiring him/her now." It just happens, naturally. A wonderful thing if the object of our affection wants us back. Heartbreaking if that person does not want us back.

Just like me, this friend has over the years developed sexual attraction to other people, starting in his teens and continuing throughout adulthood. When a person wanted him in return, he entered a relationship. Sometimes, his new partner would be a gay or bisexual man. Other times, his new partner would be a straight or bisexual woman. That's the only way my friend and I differ - specifics of our sexually histories.

As a straight female, each person I've gotten hot for over the years has been male, and all of my sexual relationships involved guys who were mutually attracted to me in return. Most of them were straight too, but there was one instance in college where the guy turned out to be bisexual. After that relationship ended (one of those short-term college flings freshman year) he'd go on to have other relationships with partners of both genders. And of course, I've developed attractions to men who were gay. I'd go on to become friends with some after I gave up on any hope we'd ever be more than that, and I let my desire burn itself out with time.

In one case that I know of, a woman developed an unrequited serious attraction to me. I had to cut off contact with that woman just like I would with any guy who was trying to pressure me into a relationship I never was going to start, because I didn't desire the person back. NOTE: I didn't cut her out of my life because of her sexual orientation. I've got friends of all sexual orientations. I cut that woman out because she made it impossible for us to be just friends (stop pressuring me and let her attraction to me die down with time. She wasn't taking "I'm not interested" as a final answer.) 

With all that personal history to draw on, I view the character of Cary as like me deep down inside -- he develops attraction to people who sometimes want him back, sometimes don't. The fact he's bisexual simply widens the potential pool of possible lovers, because he's got both genders to pick from, where I stick to just one gender.

I don't view his situation with Tatianna as meaning he's "mostly straight." I see that set up as "friends with benefits" -- they have sex for their own mutual enjoyment, but are not placing any additional demands on one another. It's a kinder, gentler version of what Gideon used to do when choosing "strangers with benefits." (Gideon refused to get friendly with his sex partners.)

Trey, I think, misinterprets the Tatianna situation as Cary being a mostly straight guy experimenting with men. The truth of the matter is, the real root of the tumult is Cary has got commitment issues and Trey apparently has got co-dependency issues. Trey is, thus far, another one in a series of dysfunctional relationships. We read in Chapter One of Bared that Cary's got a long history of that.

Turns out, so does Eva. And her relationship with Gideon starts off dysfunctional for the very same reason -- Gideon's got commitment issues and Eva's got co-dependency issues. Their love for one another (including a willingness to go through couples' therapy) will ultimately make their relationship work.

We can hope for the same happily ever after for Cary, a relationship that works. The only question is, with who? Trey? Tatianna? Someone else in his future? Who will turn out to be the great love of Cary's life?

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I might go to the book signing. I live in PA so it wouldn't be that far for me.

Definitely go to her booksigning if you can because it's worth it. I only went to the one in Somerset because I wasn't sure and if I can make it to go the one in Paramus. It's an opportunity of a lifetime to meet her in person! : )

Hi Caroline,

I think that the baggage tags can symbolize many things.  I think that for me, these tags symbolize the baggage each of these two carries around in daily life (i.e. that of being abused as children and of being survivors).  I don't know that I personally correlate the luggage tags with Gideon killing Nathan.  If the tags were ratty or dirty or covered in blood then I could have made that leap.

I think that the tags are also a link to their future.  These tags ground them, in that their names and addresses are on them (they know who they are and where they came from), but they also have the opportunity to make their own futures and travel (i.e. opening up their world or beginning to see the world literally and figuratively).  What do you think?  What does everyone think?

Hi Gigi,

Yes this is what I trying to explain when I made the earlier comment about what the baggage tags symbolize.  

I've been friends for a long time with a guy who is bisexual. The only way he differs from me sexually (I'm a straight woman) is that he's got a larger pool of people to choose from.

When it comes to sexual attraction, none of us deliberately and consciously decides "oh there's a good candidate -- I'll start desiring him/her now." It just happens, naturally. A wonderful thing if the object of our affection wants us back. Heartbreaking if that person does not want us back.

Just like me, this friend has over the years developed sexual attraction to other people, starting in his teens and continuing throughout adulthood. When a person wanted him in return, he entered a relationship. Sometimes, his new partner would be a gay or bisexual man. Other times, his new partner would be a straight or bisexual woman. That's the only way my friend and I differ - specifics of our sexually histories.

As a straight female, each person I've gotten hot for over the years has been male, and all of my sexual relationships involved guys who were mutually attracted to me in return. Most of them were straight too, but there was one instance in college where the guy turned out to be bisexual. After that relationship ended (one of those short-term college flings freshman year) he'd go on to have other relationships with partners of both genders. And of course, I've developed attractions to men who were gay. I'd go on to become friends with some after I gave up on any hope we'd ever be more than that, and I let my desire burn itself out with time.

In one case that I know of, a woman developed an unrequited serious attraction to me. I had to cut off contact with that woman just like I would with any guy who was trying to pressure me into a relationship I never was going to start, because I didn't desire the person back. NOTE: I didn't cut her out of my life because of her sexual orientation. I've got friends of all sexual orientations. I cut that woman out because she made it impossible for us to be just friends (stop pressuring me and let her attraction to me die down with time. She wasn't taking "I'm not interested" as a final answer.) 

With all that personal history to draw on, I view the character of Cary as like me deep down inside -- he develops attraction to people who sometimes want him back, sometimes don't. The fact he's bisexual simply widens the potential pool of possible lovers, because he's got both genders to pick from, where I stick to just one gender.

I don't view his situation with Tatianna as meaning he's "mostly straight." I see that set up as "friends with benefits" -- they have sex for their own mutual enjoyment, but are not placing any additional demands on one another. It's a kinder, gentler version of what Gideon used to do when choosing "strangers with benefits." (Gideon refused to get friendly with his sex partners.)

Trey, I think, misinterprets the Tatianna situation as Cary being a mostly straight guy experimenting with men. The truth of the matter is, the real root of the tumult is Cary has got commitment issues and Trey apparently has got co-dependency issues. Trey is, thus far, another one in a series of dysfunctional relationships. We read in Chapter One of Bared that Cary's got a long history of that.

Turns out, so does Eva. And her relationship with Gideon starts off dysfunctional for the very same reason -- Gideon's got commitment issues and Eva's got co-dependency issues. Their love for one another (including a willingness to go through couples' therapy) will ultimately make their relationship work.

We can hope for the same happily ever after for Cary, a relationship that works. The only question is, with who? Trey? Tatianna? Someone else in his future? Who will turn out to be the great love of Cary's life?

hi

I spoke to a friend this morning, who is gay she said the same as you. At the end of the day, it's all about being in a loving relationship.

Hi Caroline,

I think that the baggage tags can symbolize many things.  I think that for me, these tags symbolize the baggage each of these two carries around in daily life (i.e. that of being abused as children and of being survivors).  I don't know that I personally correlate the luggage tags with Gideon killing Nathan.  If the tags were ratty or dirty or covered in blood then I could have made that leap.

I think that the tags are also a link to their future.  These tags ground them, in that their names and addresses are on them (they know who they are and where they came from), but they also have the opportunity to make their own futures and travel (i.e. opening up their world or beginning to see the world literally and figuratively).  What do you think?  What does everyone think?

Nicely said

Ciao Gabri,

Your assessment is correct.  It is funny that it seems like Gideon is a little boy trapped in a man's body.  Eva has taken over the role of the mother, and the lover figure.  I am surprised that Eva doesn't suffer from whiplash. Her head keeps turning every other second. :)

Something else came to mind, do you think that Gideon and Eva are putting unfair expectations on one another?  They each have so much baggage between them and are expecting the other to fulfill that it is almost unrealistic.  What do you think?  What does everyone think?

Hi GiGi

we know at least Eva is striving not to. Earlier on, at the end of Chap. 8. she says she has to 'watch out for that. The moment I became grateful he is spending time with me would be the beginning of the end. Neither of us would respect me if that happened.' As for Gedeon having any expectations... I think he is now too busy trying to keep himself together to realize he's got any.... for the time being.

I desperately feel sorry for Eva, thinking that she would embarrass her family and Gideon for the abuse she suffered. To have to live with that for the rest of your life, thinking that you have brought shame on your family, living with the guilt must be utter torment. Nathan got off lightly in my eyes.

I desperately feel sorry for Eva, thinking that she would embarrass her family and Gideon for the abuse she suffered. To have to live with that for the rest of your life, thinking that you have brought shame on your family, living with the guilt must be utter torment. Nathan got off lightly in my eyes.

Well said Julie...

HELLO EVERYBODY!!!

These are the lines in Chap. 11 that caught my eye:

1) It's easy to pick apart someone else's life.

2)You did use me, with my permission.

3)Shh, angel... I'll take care of you.  .....You're mine.

and this last one really made my heart melt!

Two favourite quotes today. His and hers

Gideon.

Gideons breath gusted hard and humid against my throat, his big frame trembling as he slid carefully inside me. Your so soft and warm. Mine, Eva . Your mine. Mmmmmmmmm!

Eva

Biting my lip, I fought back the sounds of helpless pleasure that might've broken the tranquility of the night...and betrayed the frightening depths of emotion I was beginning to feel for Gideon Cross. Yummy!

HELLO EVERYBODY!!!

hi Gabri

Good choice. Especially the last quote. Mmmmmmmm, think we would all like to hear that from Gideon. Lol

Monica's reaction to Eva when she found out Eva told Gideon makes me think  Monica is embarassed by what happened to Eva. Monica was all upset and carrying on that Eva had never told any of her other boyfriends what happened.  Thoughts????

HELLO EVERYBODY!!!

Yes luv it!!

Monica's reaction to Eva when she found out Eva told Gideon makes me think  Monica is embarassed by what happened to Eva. Monica was all upset and carrying on that Eva had never told any of her other boyfriends what happened.  Thoughts????

No I think it was more of a reflection on Monica's mothering skills which are sorely lacking ...

Two favourite quotes today. His and hers

Gideon.

Gideons breath gusted hard and humid against my throat, his big frame trembling as he slid carefully inside me. Your so soft and warm. Mine, Eva . Your mine. Mmmmmmmmm!

Eva

Biting my lip, I fought back the sounds of helpless pleasure that might've broken the tranquility of the night...and betrayed the frightening depths of emotion I was beginning to feel for Gideon Cross. Yummy!

LUV this too!!

hi Laura

Monica was only thinking of herself, as usual. She was worried what people would say, possibly judging her, and rightly so, for not noticing what was going on right under her nose.

JLS1216

Where do you live in PA? I live in DE

Definitely go to her booksigning if you can because it's worth it. I only went to the one in Somerset because I wasn't sure and if I can make it to go the one in Paramus. It's an opportunity of a lifetime to meet her in person! : )

Yes, your right, her mothering skills are pathetic, but she is so consumed with herself and what other people think.

hi

Monica needs to realise, that children are not accessories. The need to be, nurtured, loved unconditionally, protected, put first in all things. Beauty parlours come second! Take that!!

I just want to give her a hug to make it all go away. agreed Nathan definitely got off lightly.

Hello Julie!

you are right, Nathan would have deserved a life punishment, not a life sentence.

OK, favorite part of Chapter 11 is the final paragraph. From page 169. It's what's going through Eva's mind while she and Gideon are making love, now in her bed for the first time.

"Biting my lip, I fought back the sounds of helpless pleasure that might've broken the tranquility of the night .... and betrayed the frightening depths of emotion I was beginning to feel for Gideon Cross."