One Chapter A Day - Re-Read Of Bared and Entwined

LN Cronan

Hi Nathalia,

I agree! although Gideon is feeling the hurt that he inflicted on Eva. I'm sure when he was crying she knew his pain was worse than hers. that's a great theory. I wouldn't put it past her! (Deanna) was lerking in the lobby of Eva's building that day when she came back from Gideon's and who's to say she won't try to flirt with Cary to get into Eva's apartment?? Hopefully Eva will warn Carey about her and yes I hope she tells Gideon too!! this lady needs to leave the same time Corrine leaves lol

Let's just hope that Cary "Mr. I Love to stir the Pot" doesn't run into Deena and take the opportunity to knock Gideon down. He did hurt Eva, and Cary had the talk with him before they went out that first night.  

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just on SD face book page and an hour ago she posted an alternate photo for EIY chapter 12. White roses, a note and a pen you can barely make out the note but it starts with 'Happy". The original snapshot was the elevators.

New Eva has also decided that as far as Brett goes, she's " .... never going to wade in that pool again." (Entwined With You, Chapter One).

Poor Brett doesn't stand a chance. Even if Eva and Gideon hadn't secretly reconciled, still Brett didn't stand a chance. Eva pretty much told him that weeks ago, when they had lunch, but he wasn't convinced she meant it. So he's going to give it his best shot. And unfortunately for Gideon, Gideon cannot step forward yet and publicly claim Eva is his (nor can Eva claim Gideon is her's). To the world, there is no more Eva and Gideon -- that's been over for good for weeks now.

Morning LN, I agree with both what you and Julie have written

Hello, ladies

Chapter 16

1. My Favorites

line: Quantity to be determined (p.243)

paragraph: "Yes, I do." His voice had that wickedly assertive bite to it. "If you crave something, I'll be the one to give it to you. All of your needs, Eva, are mine to fulfill. Whatever it costs me." (p. 235)

scene: Gideon gazing at a huge collage of blown-up photos on the wall in his home office

2. Has anyone ever speculated about Geoffrey Cross' physical appearance? I think there's something in Cary's. He's leanly built, dark-haired, and green-eyed which Eva thought could give Gideon a run for his looks (p. 83). Even Elizabeth Vidal complimented him by using the word "divine" (p. 220). But it's Gideon's remark "I thought you might like him" (p. 242) that got my attention. I had the impression that it's not merely about him being "the life of the party."

We all know Gideon got his good looks from his mother (RIY, p. 297), but nothing has been mentioned about his father's. When he said his thoughts to his mother with "something that was too sharp to be a smile" (p. 242), I perceived it as his way of saying,"Hey, Mom. Do you see the resemblance?"

What do you think?

Chapter A Day Re-Read Project - Today is Chapter Seventeen of Bared

This chapter starts Sunday (day 14) and goes through sometime middle of the night Sunday into Monday (day 15)

Key plot developments:

• This chapter features Gideon yet again talking about a framework for their relationship. However, this time, he's not setting boundaries - he's defining a way he believes Eva will feel safe with him sexually within a dominant-submission pattern they'd already fallen into.
  • Eva discovers more things he had done during the four days they had been apart to prepare for what he'd been counting on her coming back on her own.
  • He created a "safe room" in his apartment where she could retreat if she needed space.
  • He bought her a promise ring. Before she opened the box, she momentarily panicked it could contain an engagement ring, and neither one of them was ready for that step, they both agreed. However, the fact she'd even thought about marriage made her recognize in her own mind she definitely had fallen deeply in love.

Once each of us has read Chapter Seventeen, our homework assignment from Sylvia herself is for each of us to pick our favorite quote or paragraph.

The chapter re-reads also have been the springboard here for lots of discussion. We're continuing to touch upon the chapter of the day, but even more, discussion has been jumping backward into the earlier chapters and forward in the story (even into Reflected and into what we've got for Entwined - Chapter One of it, part of Chapter Two, the snippets and the snapshot clues.) The re-read of one chapter daily is leading us to analyze how different parts of the Crossfire saga have been connecting.

Chapter Sixteen of Bared to You - The Readers Guide

This chapter unfolds Sunday (day 14)

Key plot developments:

• This chapter continues one of the longer scenes in the book, Gideon and Eva in the library at his parents' library.
  • An important early clue about what's behind Gideon's sexually violent nightmares comes out -- something happened to him in that library sometime in the past.
  • The love they make in the library evolved into something more than make-up sex. Each of them had gone to a psychological boundary past trauma had set, and each of them breaks past it.
  • Later that night, Gideon would verbalize the power and control pattern that's been leading their sexual relationship all along: he's dominant and she's submissive.
  • This chapter is the first time we see Gideon interact with his mother and his sister.

New characters:

Two members of Gideon's security team (mentioned in brief passing)

Clues about Gideon's past

In the prior chapter, when Gideon started making love to Eva in the library, she protested they shouldn't do so where they were at the time (in his parents' house while a party was in progress out on the grounds.) But he said "it has to be here" and she consented.

This chapter starts with them post-coital (well, at least at the moment) and as they talk, and immediately Gideon said he wants them to leave the party, because he doesn't want Eva at his parents' house and around his family. It's the house and the family, not Eva, that's the problem.

"There's nothing wrong with you. It's this place. I don't -- I can't be here. You want to know what's in my dreams? It's this house." (Page 232)

He doesn't explain any further what he meant by that, but Eva intuitively senses he'd suffered sexual trauma there at some point.

He and Eva aren't quite yet done having make-up sex, though, and as they go at it again, a slightly creepy incident comes up when his half-brother, Christopher, walks in on them and doesn't immediately walk out, like Magdalene had. Gideon has to tell him to get lost.

Afterward when they do prepare to leave the estate, Gideon's mother approaches them, thrilled he's there. Eva is startled to watch Gideon turn icy cold to his mother. Her attempt to convince them to stay falls on deaf ears, and Gideon doesn't even bother to answer her practically begging him to come to dinner later that week.

Eva does, however, talk Gideon into at least saying goodbye to his half-sister, Ireland, obviously hungry to talk to him too. Gideon does so as a favor to Eva.

About Eva's sexual past too

During their second go-round having sex in the library, Eva for the first time made a specific request: that Gideon touch her anally. His immediate response was "I don't do anal play." Even though he's already proven he's sexually adventurous, the fact he's hesitant about engaging in a particular activity is another clue to Eva he's got some demons of his own.

Her reason for asking him to touch her there is to erase some of the trauma Nathan inflicted on her. (From what we know about the scars the medical exam at age 14 revealed, she's been raped anally as well.)

"You can give my body back to me, Gideon. I believe you're the only one who can," she pleads. (Page 234)

Before he does grant her wish, he asks her whether she has a safeword (which is, in dominance-submission,  the way a submissive says "stop" in the middle of a sexual activity if things reach a place beyond the sub's physical and or mental comfort and consent zone.)

She never engaged in any past activity where a safeword would be part of the arrangement, and she doesn't need one then and there. But the fact she was even asked raises a concern in her mind, one that later would become apparent when she and Gideon are at his apartment that night. She'd be told for the first time in her life she's got the sexual tendency of being submissive.

A few other things that crop up in the chapter

In his home office-study, Gideon had created a photo mural on the wall, containing some of the pictures that had been taken of him and Eva the past week they'd been involved. Most were copies of the various shots that had appeared in the press, but it turned out he took one candid of his own: Eva asleep in her bed Tuesday night, one candle burning, as she lay there waiting for him to arrive.

Eva discovered Gideon has an actual security detail, not simply a driver-bodyguard. Gideon had driven the Bentley himself, because Angus had the day off, and Gideon had been so freaked out when he learned Eva was at the Vidals, he raced there. His security detail had raced after him.

Cary had been experiencing some early anxiety with his new relationship with Trey. They'd already spent the night together, but Trey hadn't phoned Cary on Sunday morning. This bothered Cary before the party. But while Eva was elsewhere, Cary did get Trey's call.

Hi Nathalia,

I agree! although Gideon is feeling the hurt that he inflicted on Eva. I'm sure when he was crying she knew his pain was worse than hers. that's a great theory. I wouldn't put it past her! (Deanna) was lerking in the lobby of Eva's building that day when she came back from Gideon's and who's to say she won't try to flirt with Cary to get into Eva's apartment?? Hopefully Eva will warn Carey about her and yes I hope she tells Gideon too!! this lady needs to leave the same time Corrine leaves lol

OMG, what if this Deanna does get to Cary -- not necessarily at his/Eva's apartment, but somewhere else? Gets him to spill some dirt about Gideon?

• Because Cary knows a lot -- even knows Gideon has sexually-violent nightmares.
  • And Cary knows all the good, bad and ugly about how Gideon treated Eva at various times. Cary knows that when it comes to relationships, Gideon is ephed up and so women around him end up hurt.
  • We know Cary is going to be kept in the dark about Nathan, and so it is possible Eva will hide from Cary that she is secretly back together with Gideon.
  • What if Cary thinks that Gideon coming over that first night of Entwined, to have sex with Eva, is simply more of Gideon deliberately confusing Eva sexually and emotionally?
  • And this mistaken belief makes him angry at Gideon, having good reason to believe all Gideon is doing is continuing to hurt Eva?

The consequences of that could be more than just Cary being Captain of Team Brett. Cary might decide to cooperate on a nasty media expose of Gideon Cross.

OMG, what if this Deanna does get to Cary -- not necessarily at his/Eva's apartment, but somewhere else? Gets him to spill some dirt about Gideon?

• Because Cary knows a lot -- even knows Gideon has sexually-violent nightmares.
  • And Cary knows all the good, bad and ugly about how Gideon treated Eva at various times. Cary knows that when it comes to relationships, Gideon is ephed up and so women around him end up hurt.
  • We know Cary is going to be kept in the dark about Nathan, and so it is possible Eva will hide from Cary that she is secretly back together with Gideon.
  • What if Cary thinks that Gideon coming over that first night of Entwined, to have sex with Eva, is simply more of Gideon deliberately confusing Eva sexually and emotionally?
  • And this mistaken belief makes him angry at Gideon, having good reason to believe all Gideon is doing is continuing to hurt Eva?

The consequences of that could be more than just Cary being Captain of Team Brett. Cary might decide to cooperate on a nasty media expose of Gideon Cross.

Yes this definitely is a plausible scenario...

Favourite lines.

His smile widen and my insides melted. "Do you have any idea how crazy I am about you? He murmured.

" your worlds about to be rocked Mr Cross" it was. I made sure of it.

" your insatiable"

" we'll duh. Your gorgeous, sexy, and very well hung"

So hard to have just one line.

Hey Sylvia.

If you read this page, I would buy the ring that Gideon gave to Eva, if you can get them made. Any excuse for a bit of jewellery. :)

Julie when I get home I'll paste the link here. It is sold in higher end stores. She used a ring made by a well known designer.

I posted the link on the Snippets/Snapshots thread I think. LN is going to try and listen in and participate... thank God. :) It's my daughter's birthday so I don't think I'll be able to.

Signed up and good to go .... and planning to take notes!

Oh I would love the one with the pave diamonds on it and it would be in my size, the lucky thing is I can only wear Silver or Platinum and as my hubby will not buy me platinum I get silver so this would be ideal, must ask for early christmas present lol :)

Oh I would love the one with the pave diamonds on it and it would be in my size, the lucky thing is I can only wear Silver or Platinum and as my hubby will not buy me platinum I get silver so this would be ideal, must ask for early christmas present lol :)

This was my favorite. http://www.davidyurman.com/shoponline/product.aspx?itemid=Y18D9&folderid=/women/rings&keyword=Crossover

NO!

Just gone on the site. They can't ship to the UK. Is the store in New York please? I am over for a holiday in May next year.

What a lovely ring!

There is a Neiman Marcus and David Yurman store there. :)  Will David's site ship it?

NO!

Just gone on the site. They can't ship to the UK. Is the store in New York please? I am over for a holiday in May next year.

What a lovely ring!

I am hoping to go over next September to LA as we are doing a fly drive from LA to meet up with family in Florida and I am hoping to see Hubby to see if we can go to NYC first for a couple of days.  Does anyone else know where else they have shops.  I also saw one on the Tiffany site, slightly more expensive though :)

Would be about brunettes by some chance. I know it's burning a hole in your brain, mine too. Lol

The brunette question is one of the finalists. That question has always nagged me. I've been hoping for a long time that Sylvia would take pity on us and answer it here.

BUT ....

I think the answer lays buried deep in Gideon's dark past. So it's something she might not reveal yet, if its something central to Entwined (and thus we need to wait for June 4.)