One Chapter A Day - Re-Read Of Bared and Entwined

LN Cronan

I see the fact that Eva did not immediately go out and start sleeping around as proof that she did not break apart over Gideon. If anything had the power to eff her up permanently, it would have been what Gideon did to her. Indeed, toward the end of the relationship, Cary was afraid her relationship with Gideon was going to mess her up for good. Had Eva's full set of demons taken over, that kiss with Brett would have been mild in comparison to what she might have pulled next. And she'd have done more than go out to eat with some guy - she'd have taken him home to bed knowing full well Gideon was having her followed and so would find out about it.

She came out of the break-up with some of her old wounds torn right open, but she didn't fall apart. Instead, she licked her own wounds in order to start the process of letting them close back up again and heal as best they could.

Eva had learned to respect herself. Yes she was hurting, hurting big time, but falling back into bad habits wasn't an option. She had to pick herself up, dust herself down, and get on with her life. Screwing around would only eat away at her. Enter new Eva!

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eva had learned to respect herself. Yes she was hurting, hurting big time, but falling back into bad habits wasn't an option. She had to pick herself up, dust herself down, and get on with her life. Screwing around would only eat away at her. Enter new Eva!

New Eva has also decided that as far as Brett goes, she's " .... never going to wade in that pool again." (Entwined With You, Chapter One).

Poor Brett doesn't stand a chance. Even if Eva and Gideon hadn't secretly reconciled, still Brett didn't stand a chance. Eva pretty much told him that weeks ago, when they had lunch, but he wasn't convinced she meant it. So he's going to give it his best shot. And unfortunately for Gideon, Gideon cannot step forward yet and publicly claim Eva is his (nor can Eva claim Gideon is her's). To the world, there is no more Eva and Gideon -- that's been over for good for weeks now.

Chapter A Day Re-Read Project - Today is Chapter Sixteen of Bared

This chapter unfolds Sunday (day 14)

Key plot developments:

• This chapter continues one of the longer scenes in the book, Gideon and Eva in the library at his parents' library. In the last chapter, he'd begged her to give him another chance, and they had make-up sex.
  • In this chapter, they continue making love. But this time, both of them are -- at Eva's request -- testing limits. It's the start of the dominant-submissive dynamic.
  • Later that night, Gideon would directly broach the subject with Eva: he's a dom and she's a sub.
  • An important early clue about what's behind Gideon's sexually violent nightmares comes out -- something happened to him in that library sometime in the past.
  • This chapter is the first time we see Gideon interact with his mother and his sister, showing he's distanced himself from his mother and is a stranger to his teen-aged sister.

Once each of us has read Chapter Sixteen, our homework assignment from Sylvia herself is for each of us to pick our favorite quote or paragraph. (Of course, tearing ourselves away, if possible, from Chapter One and the part of Chapter Two of Entwined that got released yesterday. SQUEEEEE!!!!

The chapter re-reads also have been the springboard here for lots of discussion. We're continuing to touch upon the chapter of the day, but even more, discussion has been jumping backward into the earlier chapters and forward in the story (even into Reflected and the Entwined snippets) as the re-reading leads us to analyze how different parts of the Crossfire saga have been connecting.

After yesterday's present I quite forgot about the chapters.

We now know that Gideon was raped in the library, by way of a comment from Eva. She said. " he dropped me lengthwise on the cushion, then hauled my hips up to rest on the armrest, arching my spine.

I eyed him up the length of my torso. Why not just fold me over and f* ck me from behind" page230.

It goes on page 233. "I don't do a* al play, Eva ." Looking into his eyes, I saw something dark and volatile. Something very painful. Of all the things for us to have in common.

Poor Gideon had to go back to his place of he* l, so rescue Eva.

My favourite Eva line.

Don't ever apologise for being yourself with me. It's what I want. I want to be your safe place, Gideon.

Gideons response,

You are. You don't know how much, but I'll find a way to tell you.

This is heartbreaking. Puts knots in my stomach.

I thought that Gideon gave Eva his key when he returned hers in hope that she would come back to him.  Eva, however, was too upset when he returned her key she didn't notice.  Gideon is ashamed of his dreams and even more ashamed that Eva saw him having a dream.  He doesn't want Eva to hate him however, he couldn't wait for her any longer and came after her. Gideon wants Eva to help teach him how to open up to her.  It must be difficult for a man who never shared before especially when it is something that tore him away from his family. 

A thought about Corrine.  I never felt that Gideon returned to a sexual relationship with her.  I always felt she was his +1 for the press.  Of course Corrine wants more but I don't think she is getting it.  I understand the appearance in the paper of something more intimate but photographers can capture shots that appear to be something they aren't.  They snap 10 - 15 shots consecutively and pick the one that tells the story they want to tell.  I think that Gideon spends a lot of time talking about Eva and that is what puts the smile on his face.  At least that is what he said about the Magdelene picture.  And later-- why would Corrine go out of her way to make Eva think that Gideon was in her apartment (he clearly wasn't) if she didn't know that Gideon really wants Eva?  

A thought about Corrine.  I never felt that Gideon returned to a sexual relationship with her.  I always felt she was his +1 for the press.  Of course Corrine wants more but I don't think she is getting it.  I understand the appearance in the paper of something more intimate but photographers can capture shots that appear to be something they aren't.  They snap 10 - 15 shots consecutively and pick the one that tells the story they want to tell.  I think that Gideon spends a lot of time talking about Eva and that is what puts the smile on his face.  At least that is what he said about the Magdelene picture.  And later-- why would Corrine go out of her way to make Eva think that Gideon was in her apartment (he clearly wasn't) if she didn't know that Gideon really wants Eva?  

A couple of theories:

• Corrine thinks the nooner stunt worked - it seriously undermined Eva's trust in Gideon. And unfortunately, it did, so Corrine's objective was met.
  • I'm certain Gideon called up Corrine to chew her out about what she'd done -- which only served to reinforce to Corrine that Eva really is vulnerable.
  • Corrine probably convinced herself that the mistrust she'd sown came to fruition with Eva blowing things with Gideon. If Arnoldo gossiped to Corrine about Brett, then she's probably certain Eva blew it.
  • For a couple of weeks, Corrine basked in the triumph that Eva was history.
  • But then Eva showing up unannounced at Corrine's apartment, which made Corrine fear that Eva wasn't totally out of the picture yet. Corrine, realizing that maybe Eva might be considering making another run at Gideon, came up with a plan on the spot to repeat the "nooner" stunt in a far-more devastating way, sending Eva sobbing off into the sunset forever. For one thing, she tried to make Eva believe that now she (Corrine) had moved beyond hotel sex and gotten Gideon into her (Corrine's) own bed.

Too bad, Corrine, that when push came to shove, in her heart Eva knew her man. Knew he wasn't sleeping with Corrine, because he didn't love Corrine, had never loved Corrine. Eva still couldn't figure out why the eph Gideon was treating her (Eva) the way he was, but Eva at least figured out that Gideon was, in fact, in love with her (Eva).

A couple of theories:

• Corrine thinks the nooner stunt worked - it seriously undermined Eva's trust in Gideon. And unfortunately, it did, so Corrine's objective was met.
  • I'm certain Gideon called up Corrine to chew her out about what she'd done -- which only served to reinforce to Corrine that Eva really is vulnerable.
  • Corrine probably convinced herself that the mistrust she'd sown came to fruition with Eva blowing things with Gideon. If Arnoldo gossiped to Corrine about Brett, then she's probably certain Eva blew it.
  • For a couple of weeks, Corrine basked in the triumph that Eva was history.
  • But then Eva showing up unannounced at Corrine's apartment, which made Corrine fear that Eva wasn't totally out of the picture yet. Corrine, realizing that maybe Eva might be considering making another run at Gideon, came up with a plan on the spot to repeat the "nooner" stunt in a far-more devastating way, sending Eva sobbing off into the sunset forever. For one thing, she tried to make Eva believe that now she (Corrine) had moved beyond hotel sex and gotten Gideon into her (Corrine's) own bed.

Too bad, Corrine, that when push came to shove, in her heart Eva knew her man. Knew he wasn't sleeping with Corrine, because he didn't love Corrine, had never loved Corrine. Eva still couldn't figure out why the eph Gideon was treating her (Eva) the way he was, but Eva at least figured out that Gideon was, in fact, in love with her (Eva).

Gideon didnt seem to realise that when he tells Corrine anything about Eva ie her jealousy, insecurities etc. he is in fact fanning the flames. He's got a lot to learn about woman!

I like that line too LN.

Also like, Don't ever apologize for being yourself with me. It's what I want. I want to be your safe place, Gideon."

Finally "I'd walk into for you, Eva, and this is pretty close."

This is also the chapter with the line from Gideon to Elizabeth, "I thought you might like him" Gideon bared his teeth in something that was too sharp to be a smile."Just remember that he's Eva's friend, Mother. That makes him mine as well."

Hey. Here's a thought. Lets have a Corrine free day! Give the woman a rest from being pilloried by us lot. Lol

We can rest up for Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. That's when we're due to cover Chapters 20, 21 and 22 -- the Night of the Fundraiser Fiasco.

;)

Hey. Here's a thought. Lets have a Corrine free day! Give the woman a rest from being pilloried by us lot. Lol

We can rest up for Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. That's when we're due to cover Chapters 20, 21 and 22 -- the Night of the Fundraiser Fiasco.

;)

Wouldn't it be nice to NEVER talk about her again. :) I don't hate her, but I am certainly over all of her nonsense.

Besides, it looks like we have another ex of Gideon's to worry about - Deanna Johnson. She comes across as someone who also wants at Gideon for selfish reasons, but here it's to harm him, not to land him. She's trying to make an ally out of Eva now (hah! good luck with that!) But Deanna comes across as someone who could just as easily try to make Eva collateral damage. 

Besides, it looks like we have another ex of Gideon's to worry about - Deanna Johnson. She comes across as someone who also wants at Gideon for selfish reasons, but here it's to harm him, not to land him. She's trying to make an ally out of Eva now (hah! good luck with that!) But Deanna comes across as someone who could just as easily try to make Eva collateral damage. 

I wonder how long Gideon was with her that she had some exaggerated expectations.

This crossed my mind too. If that happens what will Gideon do this time? He wont tolerate letting Eva get hurt, but his hands are tied because they are not an item. Could he ask his legal team to keep an eye on things without giving the game away?

Actually, I'm wondering whether Deanna wanted to sleep with Gideon but her turned her down -- she got stuck in the "platonic date" category. He took her out a couple of times then threw her onto the date reject pile -- maybe she's mad because she didn't even get laid.

Cary had given Eva a folder full of stuff to read up on Gideon shortly before Eva went out on her first date with Gideon (the advocacy dinner). Magdalene was not the only woman Gideon was photographed with -- Magdalene simply was the one he appeared with most frequently.

One way or another, I think Ms. Johnson had "expectations" that Gideon didn't meet. Good Lord, if he's been plagued by a bunch of women with "expectations" in the past, no wonder up front he wanted to negotiate the terms of seduction with Eva.

Actually, I'm wondering whether Deanna wanted to sleep with Gideon but her turned her down -- she got stuck in the "platonic date" category. He took her out a couple of times then threw her onto the date reject pile -- maybe she's mad because she didn't even get laid.

Cary had given Eva a folder full of stuff to read up on Gideon shortly before Eva went out on her first date with Gideon (the advocacy dinner). Magdalene was not the only woman Gideon was photographed with -- Magdalene simply was the one he appeared with most frequently.

One way or another, I think Ms. Johnson had "expectations" that Gideon didn't meet. Good Lord, if he's been plagued by a bunch of women with "expectations" in the past, no wonder up front he wanted to negotiate the terms of seduction with Eva.

I wonder how he decided, which ones to f* ck and those just to be friends? Perhaps because of her profession, he was suspicious of her intentions. Gideon might have thought she was out for a story.

I wonder how he decided, which ones to f* ck and those just to be friends? Perhaps because of her profession, he was suspicious of her intentions. Gideon might have thought she was out for a story.

Hmmm... I do wonder how he would pick. I know we talk a ton about hair color, but was Anne the only exception to the brunette rule? Are brunettes reserved for the date pile, while other colors are forwarded to the f*ck pile?

I'm hoping we'll get to the real bottom of this whole brunette thing!!! Only because it seriously hits Eva's buttons.

We know Gideon dated only brunettes prior to Eva.

But did he also f*** only brunettes too, prior to Eva? (the redheaded Anne Lucas doesn't count as a regular sex partner, because she was a revenge f*** not physical desire.)

Or did Gideon stop f******* brunettes after Corrine?

Did hair color automatically assign the women to which of the categories: date or sex? 

• All brunettes to the left, please, the platonic social arm candy category? 
  • All blondes and redheads to the right, please, report to the f**** pad?

Is it June 4th yet?

Hmmm... I do wonder how he would pick. I know we talk a ton about hair color, but was Anne the only exception to the brunette rule? Are brunettes reserved for the date pile, while other colors are forwarded to the f*ck pile?

He only f* cked Anne because she was the wife of Dr Lucas. Gideon hurt Lucas through hs wife. As Gideon said, it wasn't his finest hour, and regretted his actions later.

I wonder if this Deanna chick is going to try and hook up w/ Cary...doesn't tell him who she is/ what she does etc...he brings her home, she gets an inside look at  Eva's place...questions Cary about her..innocent questions....what if she's there when Gideon is there! Ahh!

Eva's gotta warn Cary about her also...asap! I hope she doesn't forget to tell Gideon.

Those 1 1/2 chapters were great..just fuel to the Crossfire- fire!

I kinda wanted Eva to be more aggressive w/ Gideon...more hurtful-maybe to him..Beat him a lil for being so cruel to her..lol...I know, I know...he didn't want to be...but she was hurt sooo much by him!

I really can't wait for Victor's return! 

I hope it's not a cliffhanger ending...book 3...b/c who knows when book 4 & 5 are coming out!

HELLO LADIES,

Yesterday I had a really busy day and wasn't able to find the time to go on the Internet at all. But I did my homework though! Here my picks:

Chapter 15

1) Your past doesn't have the power to push me away. Only you can do that, and you did.

2) I watched him with awe and pure female triumph, I could do this to HIM.

Chapter 16

1) You can give my body back to me, Gedeon. I believe you're the only one who can.