One Chapter A Day - Re-Read Of Bared and Entwined

LN Cronan

I have to agree LN, but I have to also agree with sscrph that, that was a pretty big omission on Gideon's part when talking about his relationship with Corrine.

Since when has Gideon ever been 100% forthcoming about anything in his past, including Corrine, to Eva? Gideon has told Eva only what he's absolutely had to about a lot of stuff. Usually, Eva gets absolutely nowhere when she demands honesty out of him, Mr. Closed Off.

He's always wanted total honesty out of Eva, but he's yet to give that in return.

He's always wanted total trust from Eva, but he's all-but-incapable of trusting her (trusting anyone) in return.

Gideon really is a virgin when it comes to the open communication that is part of any healthy relationship. He's Mr. Dysfunction.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HELLO EVERYBODY FROM ITALY!!!

Here are my picks in Chap. 18:

1)"He's different with her. I-I think he loves her."

Magdalene's stutter speaks volumes!!! She's relized how things truly are between Gedeon and Eva and she is throwing the towel at last.

2) "I love you"...."I just didn't want another minute go by without you knowing how I feel."

3) "You've changed everything for me. I couldn't stand losing you."

I think this might be Gedeon's way to say the L-word to Eva. He is non ready yet to express such a commitment to her, but his feelings and actions are giving him away!!!!

4)"One of these days," he said dryily, "I'll figure out whether my face is a curse or not."

Some names have two different pronounciations -- names of places, names of people.

AY-va is the way "Eva" would be pronounced in German. Trammell is a German surname. Based on Monica and Eva's blonde coloring, it's likely on her mother's side of the family, she's of German descent (or something similar, like Austrian).

Which reminds me of something I really got a kick out of during the scene in which Magdalene ambushes Eva in the ladies room. Magdalene Perez -- in looks and in name, Hispanic. Magdalene essentially tells the bathroom attendant to get lost, telling the woman in Spanish. Probably figuring Eva didn't know exactly what Magdalene said to the woman. Magdalene's first power play, in other words. But Eva understood every last word, and very politely asked the woman -- in Spanish herself -- "please." That earned Eva a raised eyebrow from Ms. Perez, who had underestimated her adversary. Go Eva!

Since when has Gideon ever been 100% forthcoming about anything in his past, including Corrine, to Eva? Gideon has told Eva only what he's absolutely had to about a lot of stuff. Usually, Eva gets absolutely nowhere when she demands honesty out of him, Mr. Closed Off.

He's always wanted total honesty out of Eva, but he's yet to give that in return.

He's always wanted total trust from Eva, but he's all-but-incapable of trusting her (trusting anyone) in return.

Gideon really is a virgin when it comes to the open communication that is part of any healthy relationship. He's Mr. Dysfunction.

so true LN :)

So true LN. Obviously Eva is going to expecting more from Gideon at this point, lets hope he can open up.

Some names have two different pronounciations -- names of places, names of people.

AY-va is the way "Eva" would be pronounced in German. Trammell is a German surname. Based on Monica and Eva's blonde coloring, it's likely on her mother's side of the family, she's of German descent (or something similar, like Austrian).

But here's the ironic thing: in Spanish, Eva is usually pronounced EE-va. On her father's side, Eva is half-Hispanic, and Eva is named for her paternal grandmother (Victor's Mom).

Which reminds me of something I really got a kick out of during the scene in which Magdalene ambushes Eva in the ladies room. Magdalene Perez -- in looks and in name, Hispanic. Magdalene essentially tells the bathroom attendant to get lost, telling the woman in Spanish. Probably figuring Eva didn't know exactly what Magdalene said to the woman. Magdalene's first power play, in other words. But Eva understood every last word, and very politely asked the woman -- in Spanish herself -- "please." That earned Eva a raised eyebrow from Ms. Perez, who had underestimated her adversary. Go Eva!

Actually that little bit of Spanish at the time had me wondering if Eva was able to know her grandmother ; maybe learn how to cook from her because we know Monica would never had taught her!!!

The first time I read that scene, too, I thought Corrine possibly was recalling a necklace she always used to wear, maybe something  beautiful Gideon gave her as a gift and so she wore while they were together.

But yet again, this careful re-reading of a chapter at a time is making me pick up on possible patterns of one clue after another. Maybe Gideon had sexually collared Corrine as part of his early sexual experimentation, exploring ways in which he could learn to feel sexually in control.

If this is true, he could have been kicking himself when Eva jumped to the conclusion Gideon might want to collar her -- something that most certainly would have been a "hard limit" for her, given her history. (Hard limits are the list of things doms and especially subs agree to beforehand that won't ever be a part of their consensual sexually play -- the sexual activities they refuse to do, in other words.)

I thought about this scene when I first read it too.  I was wondering if the D/s relationship that he had with Corrine is one of the reasons he feels he needs to manage her.   Maybe her husband couldn't be a dominant and that is why they didn't work out.

I was confused by that when i was listening as well. i think the woman on the audio pronounces it wrong.

I have been pronouncing it as Ayyyva, my cousin has a friend her name is pronounced Ayyyva but written Eva.

In Chapter Seventeen, when Gideon gave her the promise ring, at first Eva was uneasy. Already freaked out over false assumptions about what Gideon meant about dom-sub, she was envisioning being asked to wear a "collar" -- a sexual fetish prop that some submissives wear in the BDSM lifestyle.

Gideon was talking about something completely different than BDSM (which involves bondage and sadism along with dominance and submission) but Eva was confused, and being asked to wear a ring made her equate it with being asked to wear a collar in the figurative sense. For all she knew (and feared) Gideon would soon introduce a real collar into their sex life next along with all sorts of other kinky accessories - whips and chains, restraints ..... who knows.

But I wonder whether Gideon actually did engage in BDSM in the past with -- of all people -- Corrine. In Chapter Twenty, when Corrine is talking to Eva about her (Corrine's) past with Gideon, at one point Corrine described how possessive Gideon was and how much that frightened her at times. She claimed that's the reason she left him (when we all know in fact, the real reason she left is they were stuck in a dead-end sexual situation - his refusal to spend the night with her, including sleeping over in one another's dorms/apartments.)

When Corrine started talking about Gideon's frightening possessiveness, here's what she was doing at the time (page 313) "Her hand went to her throat, her slender fingers restlessly stroking, as if toying with a necklace she'd normally find there."

Was she actually recalling being collared by Gideon? Nervous at the time talking to Eva, was this throat stroking Corrine doing an unconscious nervous gesture. Literally, she was talking to Eva about Gideon's jealous nature, but perhaps underneath, Corrine was thinking about his sexual control of their past relationship.

Thoughts, ladies?

I just assumed it was a nervous habit. But it is possible. However i just do see he being that "free" with her. i think with that kind of relationship you need total trust. He didn't even trust her with his secrets, so its hard for me to grasp that he would trust her in that kind of sexual situation. 

I just assumed it was a nervous habit. But it is possible. However i just do see he being that "free" with her. i think with that kind of relationship you need total trust. He didn't even trust her with his secrets, so its hard for me to grasp that he would trust her in that kind of sexual situation. 

ooops **don't see him being that free with her. TYPO

In Chapter Seventeen, when Gideon gave her the promise ring, at first Eva was uneasy. Already freaked out over false assumptions about what Gideon meant about dom-sub, she was envisioning being asked to wear a "collar" -- a sexual fetish prop that some submissives wear in the BDSM lifestyle.

Gideon was talking about something completely different than BDSM (which involves bondage and sadism along with dominance and submission) but Eva was confused, and being asked to wear a ring made her equate it with being asked to wear a collar in the figurative sense. For all she knew (and feared) Gideon would soon introduce a real collar into their sex life next along with all sorts of other kinky accessories - whips and chains, restraints ..... who knows.

But I wonder whether Gideon actually did engage in BDSM in the past with -- of all people -- Corrine. In Chapter Twenty, when Corrine is talking to Eva about her (Corrine's) past with Gideon, at one point Corrine described how possessive Gideon was and how much that frightened her at times. She claimed that's the reason she left him (when we all know in fact, the real reason she left is they were stuck in a dead-end sexual situation - his refusal to spend the night with her, including sleeping over in one another's dorms/apartments.)

When Corrine started talking about Gideon's frightening possessiveness, here's what she was doing at the time (page 313) "Her hand went to her throat, her slender fingers restlessly stroking, as if toying with a necklace she'd normally find there."

Was she actually recalling being collared by Gideon? Nervous at the time talking to Eva, was this throat stroking Corrine doing an unconscious nervous gesture. Literally, she was talking to Eva about Gideon's jealous nature, but perhaps underneath, Corrine was thinking about his sexual control of their past relationship.

Thoughts, ladies?

Hi ladies

I don't want to throw a spanner in the works, but. When Eva, Megumi and Monica went to lunch, and Monica saw Nathan outside the Cossfire, she stumbled and her hand went to her throat! Now has Sylvia thrown these in to fool us? Page 108 of RIY

Favourite lines today.

." It's perfect. You're perfect" Gideon caught up my hands and kissed my ring, then watched as I repeated the gesture with his. "What you make me feel, Eva.....it hurts" my pulse leaped." Is that bad?" " it's wonderful" he cupped my face, his ring cool against my cheek

Hi ladies

I don't want to throw a spanner in the works, but. When Eva, Megumi and Monica went to lunch, and Monica saw Nathan outside the Cossfire, she stumbled and her hand went to her throat! Now has Sylvia thrown these in to fool us? Page 108 of RIY

AGH, Julie! You're right. ::: head desk :::

Alternate explanation, though - when we suddenly see something that terrifies us, often we'll blurt something out - "oh my God" being probably the most common. But some of us will react with "stunned silence" instead, too shocked for words. And regardless of whether or not we say something, all of us usually will make some sort of gesture when suddenly frightened too. Throwing up a hand is common - some of us touch our mouths. Others, especially if we feel like we can't breathe, will raise a hand to our throat or our chest, like we were literally choking.

I think when Monica threw her hand up to her throat, it was because she almost felt she couldn't breathe, so scared was she at that very moment.

Corrine stroking her throat, when talking to Eva about Gideon, was a little weird - enough of a nervous gesture that Eva thought it was strange. What jumped to Eva's mind was Corrine was imaging wearing something on her throat, something no longer there but probably something she used to wear back when she was Gideon's girlfriend/fiancee. Eva's pretty intuitive at times, especially to body language. I think Eva's guess was right that the nervous gesture involved something that used to be around Corrine's throat. We know Gideon is a sexual dominant. A collar is something some doms would get a submissive to wear.

Favourite lines today.

." It's perfect. You're perfect" Gideon caught up my hands and kissed my ring, then watched as I repeated the gesture with his. "What you make me feel, Eva.....it hurts" my pulse leaped." Is that bad?" " it's wonderful" he cupped my face, his ring cool against my cheek

I love this line too!!

OK, favorite part of today's re-read chapter, which is Eighteen of Bared To You.

For the first time, Eva says "I love you" to Gideon (page 266). He doesn't say anything in return, but his body language does all the talking about just how overwhelmed (in an incredibly good way) he feels at that moment. It's a wish come true. At the time, Eva was sitting in his lap in the back of the car. This is what he did:

One of his hands gripped my nape; the other dug almost painfully into my waist. Gideon held me there, immobile, locked against him as if I might blow away. His breathing was ragged, his heartbeat pounding. he didn't say another word the rest of the ride to work, but he didn't let me go either.

Later in the day, when he's regained the ability to speak, he says (page 270)

"I'll make you say it again," he threatened in a seductive purr. "You'll scream it by the time I'm done with you."

Alternate explanation, though - when we suddenly see something that terrifies us, often we'll blurt something out - "oh my God" being probably the most common. But some of us will react with "stunned silence" instead, too shocked for words. And regardless of whether or not we say something, all of us usually will make some sort of gesture when suddenly frightened too. Throwing up a hand is common - some of us touch our mouths. Others, especially if we feel like we can't breathe, will raise a hand to our throat or our chest, like we were literally choking.

I think when Monica threw her hand up to her throat, it was because she almost felt she couldn't breathe, so scared was she at that very moment.

Corrine stroking her throat, when talking to Eva about Gideon, was a little weird - enough of a nervous gesture that Eva thought it was strange. What jumped to Eva's mind was Corrine was imaging wearing something on her throat, something no longer there but probably something she used to wear back when she was Gideon's girlfriend/fiancee. Eva's pretty intuitive at times, especially to body language. I think Eva's guess was right that the nervous gesture involved something that used to be around Corrine's throat. We know Gideon is a sexual dominant. A collar is something some doms would get a submissive to wear.

I guess it could have been an expensive bauble such as a promise necklace as opposed to a promise ring but I think your theory is certainly more likely considering Gideon's past sexual history

I guess it could have been an expensive bauble such as a promise necklace as opposed to a promise ring but I think your theory is certainly more likely considering Gideon's past sexual history

We do know Gideon likes sex toys. Page 139 of Bared, when Eva starts finding stuff in the hotel room and it dawns on her it's actually a f*** pad.

"The top one on the left side held sex toys still in their packages. I didn't look at the drawers below that one. I'd seen enough."

What could the kinky Mr. Cross have stocked inside the drawers Eva didn't dare open?

We do know Gideon likes sex toys. Page 139 of Bared, when Eva starts finding stuff in the hotel room and it dawns on her it's actually a f*** pad.

"The top one on the left side held sex toys still in their packages. I didn't look at the drawers below that one. I'd seen enough."

What could the kinky Mr. Cross have stocked inside the drawers Eva didn't dare open?

He never answered Eva when she asked if he used a swing before.  I'm sure he had a lot of goodies but if he cleaned out the F.... pad did he throw them out or keep them for later?

Lol. :)

I knew you wouldn't let me down. It bugged me, kept thinking something like this happened again.

Eva probably gets a lot of her intuition from her dads side. Being a cops daughter will hopefully pay off for them.

Whatever Gideon is/ was into, I would be surprised if he initiated anything with Eva, but as she said herself, they hadn't used any of hose s+ x toys from the hotel. Gideon wouldn't let her talk about it, because of her self esteem issues. Given his prowess in the bedroom, do you think he was just experimenting? This is obviously connected to his abuse and loss of control. Perhaps this scene, helped him gain control back.

OK, favorite part of today's re-read chapter, which is Eighteen of Bared To You.

For the first time, Eva says "I love you" to Gideon (page 266). He doesn't say anything in return, but his body language does all the talking about just how overwhelmed (in an incredibly good way) he feels at that moment. It's a wish come true. At the time, Eva was sitting in his lap in the back of the car. This is what he did:

One of his hands gripped my nape; the other dug almost painfully into my waist. Gideon held me there, immobile, locked against him as if I might blow away. His breathing was ragged, his heartbeat pounding. he didn't say another word the rest of the ride to work, but he didn't let me go either.

Later in the day, when he's regained the ability to speak, he says (page 270)

"I'll make you say it again," he threatened in a seductive purr. "You'll scream it by the time I'm done with you."

This must have made him feel 10 feet tall. He was so worried about what she saw in him( she thought the same too) the girl did good. Now your go Gideon!

With all the other women who came before Eva, starting with Corrine, is was f****** plain and simple. With Eva, it was making love. Even that first time in the limo. It was only in hindsight he recognized it. He told her as much (see page 327).

He doesn't need toys in a hotel room with Eva. She's blown his mind in many other places and in many other ways -- he's learning all over again how to actually have consensual sex, the best kind ever - lovemaking.

(He'll take a b*** job in his office and monkey sex in the back of his limo over toys in a hotel room any day, LOL).