"Captivated by You"

Sylvia Day

Hotreads, you make some good points about Christoper Jr and I do like your fantasy about Magdalene blackmailing Christopher Jr.  But I think there is more to Christopher than just emulating Gideon and his dealings with women.  Christopher wants what Gideon has. 

But I also think that Christoper was probably abused by Hugh when he was a child.  I think Gideon and Christopher both went into 'counseling' with Hugh because of their acting out as kids and Elizabeth's inability to handle the boys along with her pregnancy.  As was said in the book, the supervising 'shrink' dealt with Elizabeth and her problems while her young assistant/student worked with Gideon.  But I don't see just Gideon getting treatment if Christopher Jr was acting up also.   I know there was a discussion about pedophiles and their having types/ages that appeal to them, but Gideon and Christopher were only about 5-6 years different in age and if Hugh had tried something with Gideon, I just feel he would go after Christopher also if he was treating him. 

Christopher got questioned about the 'abuse' after Gideon told Lizzie about it.  But Christopher denied it.  How would he know unless he was in treatment also?  I can't see Hugh abusing Gideon with Christopher being an onlooker?  That doesn't make sense to me.  I think Christoper was in treatment too.  I think Gideon was stronger than Christopher and overcame Hugh's threats in order to tell someone, whereas Christopher denied the abuse because he was too afraid of Hugh. (Too bad it was Lizzie!)  I believe that Gideon is not aware that Christopher was abused also. I wonder if Christopher is aware of the abuse of Gideon?  Does he blame Gideon for bringing Hugh into their lives and getting him abused?   I also believe that Gideon is not aware that Christopher was questioned about his abuse, since he has not gone after Christopher Jr to make him pay (see Hugh and Dr. Terry!).  I do wonder if Chris Sr knew about the abuse allegation?  He was obviously very busy with his career back then and may not have been home much. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO I think the most bitter enemy of all is Anne Lucas...I think Corinne's precarious mental status at the moment will prevent her from doing further damage but her suicide attempt is damaging enough to GidEva and if JFG stays with his wife I would say that "bitter enemy" would be a perfect description for him...

I'm hoping Corrine gets out of the hospital quickly and then the Girouxs board the next flight to Paris, and we never hear from either of them again. But I suppose it is possible that as soon as Corrine gets out of intensive care, she might get locked up in a psych ward, and JFG would continue to stay in New York, bitter about what happened and wanting revenge against Gideon. That would make him dangerous indeed. What if Corrine is locked up in a psych ward, declared a danger to herself and mentally incompetent, and Dr. Anne Lucas is her psychiatrist and has complete control over Corrine at that point? And as the doctor in charge, Anne is talking to solely to JFG as next of kin, just like the medical doctor in the emergency room insisted on talking to JFG, not Corrine's parents, because of JFG's standing as husband? JFG and Anne together, plotting Gideon's ruin?

I think Anne is the true danger to GidEva that will be the thing GidEva overcome at the very end of Captivated By You. What makes me think this is the pattern of the prior books, where the main danger to overcome crops up on the last night of each book.

On the last night Bared To You ended, Eva met Corrine. Corrine then became the main "danger" throughout the next novel, because Eva's raging insecurities over Corrine nearly destroyed the GidEva relationship forever. On the last night of Reflected In You, Detective Graves told Eva the truth about the murder investigation. Now the investigation then became the main "danger" throughout the next novel. In Entwined With You, GidEva were uncertain when or even if they could have a real future together because of the case hanging over their heads. On the last night of Entwined With You, Eva met Anne Lucas. Is Anne the "danger" that will play itself out over the course of Captivated By You, Anne being the means by which Gideon's dark past plays itself out?

I wonder how much, if any, Christopher has pieced together about that year he was five, Gideon was around 11, and Ireland was born? Lizzie said Christopher was questioned. Does Christopher even remember that whole drama? Maybe he does remember bits and pieces from when he was five, and if he does, he might associate the drama with things going terribly wrong in his family?

Could it be similar for Christopher to what it was like when Gideon was five years old and things went wrong - the Ponzi scheme and his father's suicide? Gideon remembers bits and pieces of that time - the screaming fights and his mother crying. Is Christopher haunted by memories of family fights and his mother crying when he was five, and he blames Gideon for it?

Hi Hotreads! Welcome. :)

I like your thinking. I was wondering how Deanna got the info on Gideon regarding the fight at Eva's place w/the Cary's 'buddy'. we know it probably would've been easy to find out about the fight w/ Brett b/c so many witnesses. She is sneaky. How did she get the info on the tape before Gideon? Who does she know? Maybe Christopher? I'm sure he knew somehow?

I hope doesn't go nuts, but recedes quietly after what I'm sure will be a big payday w/ the wedding pics etc.

But if she doesn't go away quietly, I'd like to see how Gideon will take her down lol.

I have got a theory about how Deanna found out Gideon clocked that creep in Eva's living room, and how that guy found out the person who hit him was Gideon Cross. How is this for a theory?

Deanna was covering the dinner at the Waldorf as part of her usual stalking Gideon. When he ran out of the dinner, Deanna followed him as he went straight to Eva's apartment building. Deanna either sat in the lobby or sat outside to wait for Gideon to come out, and so she was there when the guy came out with his nose a mess a few minutes later. She talked to the guy, and so she found out he'd just left Cary/Eva's apartment, having been punched in the face by some guy who showed up almost immediately after Eva walked in the door. Not only was the man mad but he was high as a kite too, so maybe he babbled something about Cary and sex. Deanna obviously didn't tell the guy on the spot who Gideon was -- the guy had tried asking Cary the next day. But I think Deanna stayed in touch and at some point revealed Gideon's identity to the guy.

This theory all also fits with how it was Deanna knew exactly where Eva lived. If she followed Gideon there from the Waldorf that night, and waited around some more, she would have seen Gideon and Eva came out of the apartment building together a little while later, at the very end of Bared To You, because Gideon wanted them to sleep at his place instead, given all the drama that had unfolded at her apartment.

I have got a theory about how Deanna found out Gideon clocked that creep in Eva's living room, and how that guy found out the person who hit him was Gideon Cross. How is this for a theory?

Deanna was covering the dinner at the Waldorf as part of her usual stalking Gideon. When he ran out of the dinner, Deanna followed him as he went straight to Eva's apartment building. Deanna either sat in the lobby or sat outside to wait for Gideon to come out, and so she was there when the guy came out with his nose a mess a few minutes later. She talked to the guy, and so she found out he'd just left Cary/Eva's apartment, having been punched in the face by some guy who showed up almost immediately after Eva walked in the door. Not only was the man mad but he was high as a kite too, so maybe he babbled something about Cary and sex. Deanna obviously didn't tell the guy on the spot who Gideon was -- the guy had tried asking Cary the next day. But I think Deanna stayed in touch and at some point revealed Gideon's identity to the guy.

This theory all also fits with how it was Deanna knew exactly where Eva lived. If she followed Gideon there from the Waldorf that night, and waited around some more, she would have seen Gideon and Eva came out of the apartment building together a little while later, at the very end of Bared To You, because Gideon wanted them to sleep at his place instead, given all the drama that had unfolded at her apartment.

Hi hotreads, I like your theory. I hope in the next book we find out exactly how long Deanna has been stalking Gideon & what else she knows. I'm sure it will be interesting reading.

HI ALL--

I think these theories all hold a lot of truth.  Hadn't thought about the Anne L idea before but it makes sense.  I just don't like her.  But then there are a lot of very unpleasant characters.  Lol.  Deanna is a problem to me.  Anne certainly could be.  

G is a very wealthy and powerful man which makes him so desirable to a lot of women besides the fact he is drop dead gorgeous and a genius in bed.  It's like he becomes a drug and only E was his match.  Men find him a challenge and are so jealous of him for his power, wealth, looks, and charisma.  

So, there are so many potential problems and enemies for Sylvia to deal with.  I just want some happiness for these 2 along the way.  I love how we get inside the heads of G and E.  

Thoughts on a potential bitter enemy lured out of the shadows, Sam, the videographer who secretly taped Brett and Eva having sex years ago and who recently schemed to sell an X-rated version of the music video Golden to the highest bidder.

It was somewhere around four/five years ago Sam took the footage. At the time, Brett's band was an obscure indie group in San Diego. They weren't even called Six-Ninths then. Sam was a hanger-on who took video of the band playing shows. Maybe he had fantasies of working in the video music industry? He also was secretly taping Brett having sex with Eva. Maybe Brett with other women too? Why was Sam doing that? For his private pleasure, because he's a pervert? Or because he envied Brett, who constantly was getting laid? Or because Sam was thinking maybe making p*** films was an alternative ambition to making music videos? Whatever the reason/reasons, Sam is skeevy.

Why keep the Eva footage all these years? Did he keep footage of all the women he managed to tape with Brett? Or only certain ones? Or only Eva? If only Eva, why? Because there was something special about her? Her beauty and vulnerability? Her being so desperate for Brett she was doing things other groupies weren't, like being in the bathroom with Brett at concerts between music sets? Presenting Sam with wild taping opportunities unlike other groupies?

Years ago, Eva vanished on Brett. The band slowly built a reputation and changed its name. Brett wrote the song Golden and it became a hit, and got the band signed with a major label, Vidal Records, and Six-Ninths went out on a real concert tour. And made a music video with a real director. When did Sam get left in the dust back in San Diego? Maybe as soon as the band started making it big? And he was bitter?

Then this summer, while the love song written for Eva was playing on the airwaves, Eva hit the spotlight as Gideon Cross' girlfriend. For years, there had been high society pictures of Gideon on the Internet with beautiful women (Cary printed out a bunch of them for Eva when he made a dossier before Gideon and Eva's first date.) But Gideon was different in the pictures with Eva, there was something special, even Deanna saw that.

So was it Gideon and Eva's love that lured Sam out of the shadows, and it became the reason he dared to create his own version of the Golden video? Because Eva was famous too? Or because Sam was obsessed with her? Was he jealous she was the girlfriend of a very eligible billionaire, someone way hotter than even a rock singer? Is Sam obsessed with Eva and has turned enemy knowing he cannot ever have her? I've got this mental image of him as this greasy toad of a guy who probably secretly hates himself and who sex life involves sitting home alone watching p*** tapes he created.

Does Sam want revenge against a woman he wants but knows he'll never have? Revenge against Brett for having had her, against Gideon for loving her? Maybe the sex tape was about more than the money, and if so, is Gideon's money not going to be enough to make Sam go away? Gideon's money and Stanton's too wasn't going to make Nathan go away, even though Nathan tried to fool both men into thinking he would go away if he got paid?

Wow, guess I can't post the word p***. I meant p o r n -- Skeevy Sam into homemade p o r n and for something like four/five years keeping sex video he took of Eva and Brett so long ago when Brett was a nobody and Eva was just a groupie. Why else keep it but for his private pleasure?

OK, maybe he guessed correctly Brett could become famous some day, because Brett is very talented. But Eva? She was just some early 20-something college student. Beautiful and vulnerable, yes, something special in her that men find irresistible. Very much her mother's daughter. But Brett didn't know, so Sam couldn't know, Eva came from money and years later would become a socialite and become the girlfriend of Gideon, who is more of a celebrity that Brett probably ever will be.

HI ALL--

I think these theories all hold a lot of truth.  Hadn't thought about the Anne L idea before but it makes sense.  I just don't like her.  But then there are a lot of very unpleasant characters.  Lol.  Deanna is a problem to me.  Anne certainly could be.  

G is a very wealthy and powerful man which makes him so desirable to a lot of women besides the fact he is drop dead gorgeous and a genius in bed.  It's like he becomes a drug and only E was his match.  Men find him a challenge and are so jealous of him for his power, wealth, looks, and charisma.  

So, there are so many potential problems and enemies for Sylvia to deal with.  I just want some happiness for these 2 along the way.  I love how we get inside the heads of G and E.

I wish we could get inside the head of Gideon more. All we have is that one glimpse into him that Sylvia posted, what was going through his mind as he stood in Eva's bedroom, tormented she knew he killed Nathan and scared he lost her because she found out.

Captivated By You and the fifth, final novel are supposed to be very much about Gideon. Will Sylvia include some chapters inside Gideon's head? The three current books completely have been inside Eva's head.

I have some questions about the sxe tape that I hope maybe Captivated By You answers, if Sam the video guy ends up becoming an important "enemy" character. Or even if Sylvia would answer here in the community, like she answered some Nathan questions after Reflected In You was out but before Entwined With You came out.

An easy question, I think, is when exactly did Sam make his X-rated version of Golden? Because the night Deanna warned Gideon about it, and Gideon flew out to California to stop Sam, the real Golden music video had barely been released. If Sam watched the TV/Internet premiere, he would have seen Eva with Brett at the premiere. Perhaps even more important, Times Square was the first time in weeks Eva and Gideon were seen in public together. For a few weeks in June, Eva was news as Gideon's girlfriend. Then for some more weeks in the summer, she was news as the woman Gideon dumped for his ex-fiancée. But because of that night in Times Square, GidEva became news again?

Oh and how did Deanna know about the X-rated video? And did Christopher Jr. and/or Chris Sr. know about it? When Sam was shopping around for a buyer, did he approach Vidal Records? If he did, did Elizabeth Vidal find out about the sex tape too from her husband and/or younger son? Is that what Elizabeth meant when she told Eva she knew all about her and that rock singer?

I imagine Sylvia would say Deanna and the Vidals are "those are questions for Captivated By You" like she used to respond to some questions by saying "those are questions for Entwined With You." But telling us when Sam made the video wouldn't give too much away? Pretty please?

Oh and some questions about Deanna's society function stalking of Gideon. Was Deanna covering the advocacy dinner function where Gideon and Eva appeared as a couple for the first time? If so, is that the first time Deanna figured out the Ice Man was melting, and that's when she started plotting to get some sort of revenge against Gideon? Because we don't know how long ago Deanna had her one night stand with him and don't know when it was she turned bunny-boiler. Deanna must have known Gideon was going to be at the advocacy center event, because he was giving the dinner speech. So was she there?

If Deanna wasn't at that dinner, she surely saw the red carpet pictures later of GidEva, and probably the kiss on the sidewalk picture too. We know she saw the Bryant Park video, because she was trying to twist that into Gideon manhandling Eva. Was it Gideon officially declaring Eva as the "significant" woman that lured Deanna out of the shadows and made her actively turn into bitter enemy?

I'm guessing Deanna definitely was at the Waldorf dinner. I think that when Gideon ran out of the dinner, Deanna ran after him, and that's how she found out about Gideon punching the guy at Eva's apartment, because Deanna was lurking when the guy came out with his face a mess.

If Deanna was at the Waldorf dinner she saw Corrine there too, and Gideon spent the entire meal talking with Corrine. And saw Eva miserable and Magdalene miserable too. Those two reacted with despair. But was that when Deanna turned full-throttle vengeful, at the sight of Gideon with what everyone would believe had been the love of his life, he was engaged to, the "one who got away?" Because when Deanna finally contacted Eva, Deanna claimed Gideon used Eva just to get Corrine back. Did Deanna really believe it, or was she just trying to bait Eva? Maybe Deanna really thought Eva got used, and that opened Deanna's raw wounds of getting used?

I mean, why else would Deanna approach Magdalene as well as Eva? Sure, lots of people thought Magdalene and Gideon were "dating" and there wasn't any way most people would know they were strictly platonic. There were lots of celebrity pictures of Magdalene on Gideon's arm before he met Eva - Cary printed some of them for Eva when Cary made that dossier for her.

What is the only occasion that Eva, Magdalene and Corrine were all at the same place together? A society function at the Waldorf. So was Deanna there covering the event?

Magdalene was miserable that night, even Eva saw that. Corrine had come back for Gideon, and Magdalene gave up on him for good. She and Eva sat together, unhappy and pounding back glasses of champagne while Corrine was off with Gideon, monopolizing him. Did Deanna watch Magdalene and Eva and think to herself both women had just become members of the Dumped By Gideon Sisterhood? So as Deanna started her plot of building a smear story about Gideon, she thought that Magdalene would want payback too, and that's why when the plot was almost ripe, Deanna approached Eva first, and then a day and a half later, tried to talk with Magdalene.

And why approach Magdalene at work? Because she didn't know where Magdalene lived? She knew where Eva lived, though, and approached her at home? How did she know? Because Deanna was stalking Gideon, who went to Eva's a lot but probably never went to Magdalene's place?

OK, one last question to throw out about Deanna. I think I have it figured out how she knew where Eva lived, but how did Deanna know where Corrine lived? Was it by lucky chance, because Corrine lived right around the corner from Gideon's apartment building, and so Deanna saw Corrine in the neighborhood? Or how's this for crazy, Corrine was stalking outside Gideon's place too, and Deanna saw her and started following her around too, when she thought Corrine and Gideon were back together? Deanna would be a pro at stalking someone in a cunning way, but Corrine was total amateur and the more desperate Corrine got, the sloppier she would have gotten?

I've got this fantasy of Corrine-stalking-Gideon through his Fifth Avenue neighborhood and Deanna-stalking-Corrine-stalking-Gideon through his Fifth Avenue neighborhood, and both of them wondering why he was spending little if any time at his penthouse? Because in disguise, he was spending some time slipping in and out of his apartment next door to Eva's? And so if they figured out Gideon was spending nights elsewhere, did the two of them suspect the hotel and start staking out that place in vain? I know, it sounds evil. Maybe throw in Anne Lucas hanging around the hotel too, because Gideon used to bang her there too?

Thoughts on the first GidEva "enemy" that crawled out of the woodwork, Christopher Jr. We do know he is a creep, but is he dangerous like Gideon claimed (but wouldn't explain)? At the risk of stirring things up, I'm going to suggest Christopher isn't an enemy, and the only reason he is a creep is because Gideon set a bad example when it came to women.

What if the reason Christopher uses women is that his brother's way of using women (pre-Eva) was a bad influence? When Christopher was a really little kid, Gideon had been throwing physical tantrums, and Christopher started imitating him. Things got so bad their parents put Gideon into treatment. As a grown man, Gideon had a reputation as a ladies' man and had a pile of rejected women (this was all before Eva, of course.) Was Christopher using women to try to imitate his brother?

I love Gideon but you have to admit he was malicious having that affair with the married Anne Lucas. How much had Christopher seen of Anne and Gideon interacting at society functions? How much gossip was there about the affair that Christopher was privy to? Then there was Corrine, who was another married woman being led on by mixed messages, and Christopher definitely knew about that mess, because Corrine was crying to him. Yes, Gideon felt guilty about using both women, and he knows what he did was wrong (and on some level both women deserved what happened), but Christopher has no way of knowing any of that. All he knows is what he saw and heard and none of it was good.

How many other women does Christopher know about in the Dumped By Gideon Sisterhood? There are a lot of them out there, more than Eva wants to even think about much less hear about. Have some of the Sisterhood told Christopher stories similar to Deanna's? Did Deanna tell Christopher the same story about the one night stand she told Eva?

I think Christopher was right to criticize Gideon in Times Square about sending Corrine mixed messages. He was just wrong to say so in front of Eva. Maybe Christopher thought he was doing Eva a favor, because of how Gideon had "dumped" Eva, saying something in front of Eva to remind/warn her about Gideon's pattern of discarding women? I think it was Ireland telling Christopher to leave GidEva alone was the real reason he backed off, not because Gideon threatened him.

Might Christopher change for the better when he sees New Gideon changed so much by Eva's love? And the rivalry between the two brothers heal, with Eva's help? Their sister Ireland's help too?  Ireland loves Christopher and vice versa. Ireland has got a good head on her shoulders and she knows Christopher really well, whereas Gideon barely knows him. Eva has cut Christopher a lot of slack, even though Eva saw that sex tape of him and Magdalene, because Eva understands Christopher also grew up in a dysfunctional home. Eva also is a good judge of character -- as long as insecurity/jealousy isn't clouding her perception.

I have been thinking about Christopher Jr for a while.  It hit me the first time Eva approached Gideon's mother and his mother said "Christopher was there too".  I think there is more to this story.  Like Christopher was also abused along with G.  G said that Christopher started acting out at a certain age, which intimidated him. Maybe it was because Christopher was abused too.  Maybe it was Christopher's way of acting out from the abuse he might have gotten. 

Then I think about that G said he tried to reason with Christopher many times and in different ways in their adult life.  I think that Christopher may be mad at G because he didn't protect him (as G's little brother) in the past, because he found out who had abused them, because G had already dealt with who had abused them and now Christopher is at G because he never got a chance to confront their abuser before he committed suicide. 

I also think Christopher and G were closer than they let on before and after the abuse but after G dealt with the abuser and Christopher had no part in confronting their demons that Christopher is now so confrontational to G about everything, including Corinne, etc.  That explains why Christopher would have anything to do with Corinne (because he was part of G's life and they were still on good standing), because he had a brotherly relationship and they were both dealing with the abuse before G fixed the issue (the suicide). 

Regarding Gideon sending Corinne mixed messages

If a man tells you while you are still in Europe with your husband that he has met someone and it is the first time in 5 or 6 years that he has said that and he walks out on you after you flew across the pond to see him to follow her when she leaves him and he will not be intimate with you even though he had been in the past and he tells you there is no future with him for you and he won't return your phone calls and he will not kiss you and he calls your husband to come for you then regardless of a few dinners, his message is very clear. He is just not into you and you should take the hint.

Re reading entwined with you for the un numbered amount of times and reading the comments here has got me thinking.

The sex tape is Brett and Eva . Brett cares for Eva he wants her back feels he should get a second chane with her.

Even after she said there was no chance He said "One time inside you and you’ll remember how it is between us.â€

So surely then he isn't stupid enough to think that eva would be happy about a sex tape of them getting out to the public.

That's one way of alienating her completely .

So how dosnt he know about this sex tape ? Is this revenge for Sam Yameria have Six ninths dumped him now they've made it big and signed with Vidal records no longer requiring him.

Which then questions Deanna how did she find out about it, and does she know Sam and is she behind the release of the sex tape? Will she want to see exactly how far Gideon will go to , to protect Eva to in turn see exactly how much Gideon loves Eva .

Oh the questions all toooooo many!!!

I'm so ready for CBY. Reading to much into everything now. May have to stop re reading the crossfire series but can't seem to help re reading.

I have been thinking about Christopher Jr for a while.  It hit me the first time Eva approached Gideon's mother and his mother said "Christopher was there too".  I think there is more to this story.  Like Christopher was also abused along with G.  G said that Christopher started acting out at a certain age, which intimidated him. Maybe it was because Christopher was abused too.  Maybe it was Christopher's way of acting out from the abuse he might have gotten. 

Then I think about that G said he tried to reason with Christopher many times and in different ways in their adult life.  I think that Christopher may be mad at G because he didn't protect him (as G's little brother) in the past, because he found out who had abused them, because G had already dealt with who had abused them and now Christopher is ###### at G because he never got a chance to confront their abuser before he committed suicide. 

I also think Christopher and G were closer than they let on before and after the abuse but after G dealt with the abuser and Christopher had no part in confronting their demons that Christopher is now so confrontational to G about everything, including Corinne, etc.  That explains why Christopher would have anything to do with Corinne (because he was part of G's life and they were still on good standing), because he had a brotherly relationship and they were both dealing with the abuse before G fixed the issue (the suicide). 

Hi Jnmclain,

Welcome to the forum and I hope you enjoy yourself.  :)

I read your comments and I think that your theories are just as plausible as everyone else.  We have been hotly debating for many months, whether Christopher Jr. was also abused, or walked in on Gideon's abuse or whether something else entirely different had been going on during that time. 

We have been biting fingernails, biding our time, and have been waiting patiently for a snippet or snapshot of the next book..sigh!  :)

Re reading entwined with you for the un numbered amount of times and reading the comments here has got me thinking.

The sex tape is Brett and Eva . Brett cares for Eva he wants her back feels he should get a second chane with her.

Even after she said there was no chance He said "One time inside you and you’ll remember how it is between us.â€

So surely then he isn't stupid enough to think that eva would be happy about a sex tape of them getting out to the public.

That's one way of alienating her completely .

So how dosnt he know about this sex tape ? Is this revenge for Sam Yameria have Six ninths dumped him now they've made it big and signed with Vidal records no longer requiring him.

Which then questions Deanna how did she find out about it, and does she know Sam and is she behind the release of the sex tape? Will she want to see exactly how far Gideon will go to , to protect Eva to in turn see exactly how much Gideon loves Eva .

Oh the questions all toooooo many!!!

I'm so ready for CBY. Reading to much into everything now. May have to stop re reading the crossfire series but can't seem to help re reading.

Hi ShazScott,

I read your posting and I agree.  You bring up so many good questions and those questions lead to more questions.  There are so many unanswered questions:

1.  If Deanna met Gideon at a Society Gala that she was supposed to be covering, wouldn't it be a little unprofessional to sleep with one of the people that you are supposed to be reporting about? 

2.  How would someone know to contact Deanna to give her the low-down dirt about Gideon and Eva.  It doesn't make sense to me, if someone could explain that would be greatly appreciated. 

3.  If Deanna was there as a guest at the Society Fundraiser (where she met Gideon), how deep are her family pockets?  Society functions are very expensive...

4.  Brett seemed thrilled about the release for the Golden video.  How could he not tell that Eva was less than thrilled about such a sexually charged video about his past relationship with Eva. 

5.  Does Brett know for sure about the sex tape with Eva or is this just speculation?  I haven't gone back to the books yet (in-depth) so I just want to make sure that I haven't confused anything. 

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to quickly confirm a couple of things:

1.  Is Deanna the same character in the Crossfire Series as the same Deanna in the Afterburn/Aftershock series?  Did Sylvia confirm this?

2.  Does Deanna know that there is a connection between Eva and Nathan and if she does, then who tipped her off?  Isn't Deanna supposed to be a gossip columnist (correct me if I am wrong)?  Why would she even be interested in Nathan's murder? 

If someone could just confirm those two points, it would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks in advance.

GiGi  :)

Regarding Gideon sending Corinne mixed messages

If a man tells you while you are still in Europe with your husband that he has met someone and it is the first time in 5 or 6 years that he has said that and he walks out on you after you flew across the pond to see him to follow her when she leaves him and he will not be intimate with you even though he had been in the past and he tells you there is no future with him for you and he won't return your phone calls and he will not kiss you and he calls your husband to come for you then regardless of a few dinners, his message is very clear. He is just not into you and you should take the hint.

I know, srsly. Ya think? A normal woman would.

But we are talking crazy Corrine, already an obsessive even before Anne Lucas apparently got her psychiatric claws on Corrine and started feeding her drugs to drive her literally insane. Corrine had Gideon Cross all to herself for three years as his girlfriend, lover and even fiancee. Then he slipped through her fingers. She never got over it. And something set her off over there in France that made her decide to leave her husband for Gideon even before Eva entered the picture. Finding out about Eva merely slowed Corrine down a week or so, but then she went for it anyway. Kah-ray-zee.

But think about the night of Nathan's death. The tabloids already were going nuts about the two of them going out to dinner together a few nights earlier. Then Gideon asked her to appear with him at a publicity event, something where there definitely would be photographers and press invited. So she had to think he deliberately wanted people seeing them together? 100% true -- he did. At that event in front the press, he touched her in a way that would make anyone assume they were intimate again. True -- but because he was desperate and everything was riding on the picture deliberately fostering that impression for the cops. One cop certainly looked at that picture and thought Gideon was with Corrine again -- Victor Reyes. So even though he knew Eva was in love with the guy, Victor showed her the photo to "prove" Gideon cheated on her Thursday night.

Did Corrine convince herself Gideon's original plans for that night involved taking her to bed upstairs after the publicity event? This was the hotel they spent three years together at, from the first time she seduced him to the end of the engagement. And believe it would have happened if the kitchen fire hadn't ruined things? And so fool herself into thinking he had mixed feelings? He was saying one thing (friends) but doing another (spending time with her and not seeing Eva anymore and not lifting a finger to stop the tabloid gossip)? That's definitely a mixed message. A deliberate one.

He should feel guilty for using her that night. Well, only a little. She was the one all along trying to lead him on, and maybe she thought she was slowly making progress? Then things came crashing down a week and a half later. He told her they shouldn't be spending time together anymore. But he continued to take her calls. So she thought he left the door open and the setback was just temporary? It wasn't until a week later he quit taking her calls. It was because he decided to never speak to her again because he found out from Eva that Corrine tried to trick her he had been in the middle of having morning sex with her when Eva showed up unannounced at Corrine's apartment. 

So the guy never took her upstairs at the hotel that held so much sexual history to them, kept telling her all he could offer was friendship, told her he couldn't see her any more, and finally stopped taking her calls. Instead of taking the hint, she started stalking him in person at his office building. Did she also try stalking him at his penthouse? She did live right around the corner. If she did, she figured out he wasn't coming home at night. Guessed the truth he was seeing Eva again?

I think Brett is out for PR.  Plain and simple.  If he was really into Eva, he could have found her long before the video was made or the song was written.  It really isn't that hard to find someone when you know her name, where she was from, etc.  They had to know someone in common.  He didn't.  She was Gideon's "ex" at the time and famous in the tabloids   What great PR for a song about her for an up and coming group.  

Corinne did not believe Gideon was not into her.  She was sure he still wanted her.  She broke off the engagement.  All the women in his life had continued to be brunette and looked a lot like her.  She was so certain she could and would win him back.  Vanity for certain plus family loved the two of them together.  She really had no clue how much in love with Eva he was.  The incredible connection.  Corinne and Gideon never had that.  They never had the true closeness that G and E shared.  I really think she deluded herself into thinking that she would absolutely win him back and she was willing to take him on whatever terms.  She loved him and she didn't much care about anything else but getting him back.  She had to know she was pregnant.  4 months?  She must have been frantic to get him in bed and then shortly later tell him she was pregnant.  The oldest trick in the book.  She probably could not believe she couldn't.

Everyone wants at Gideon for one reason or another.  A piece of him.  A pound of flesh.  Eva just wanted Gideon for who he really was.  What a great turn on for him. She just loved him for him with all his warts.  How great for him.  How new.  No wonder it was so hard for him to open up.  Fear of losing her if she knew too much must have been crippling.  

The party photo fooled Victor at first, but I think he is just as smart a cop as Detective Graves and eventually figured out Gideon deliberately fostered the wrong impression about him and Corrine for the press because he was really doing it for the cops. When did Victor connect the dots? Victor found out Nathan was a sadistic rapist and a mental patient, so Nathan was very dangerous, especially to Eva. Victor already Gideon somehow had found out Nathan had shown up in New York. Did Victor then connect the dots, that Gideon had motive for wanting Nathan dead? And must have had something to do with the Nathan's death, because Gideon had gone out of his way to be seen somewhere in front of the press the night Nathan died? Because Gideon needed an alibi for the night, something/someone other than Eva, something the cops couldn't break?

I have some questions I hope Sylvia would answer here in the community (pretty please!!!!) But probably will say they are questions for Captivated By You. The questions are: how did Victor find out about the rapes? Where was Victor between Sunday afternoon, when he told Eva he was flying out immediately, and Monday afternoon, when she picked him up at the airport? Did he actually get to New York on Sunday and instead of seeing Eva, used the time to dig into Nathan's death? Did he talk with Detective Graves? Did he question Gideon? We know he and Gideon talked at some point, because Gideon asked Victor for Eva's hand. When was it? And who called who first? What did Detective Graves mean when she later asked Eva what did Victor think about Gideon now? That Detective Graves knew that Victor now knew some, maybe all of the truth?

I think Corrine did delude herself into thinking that if she could get Gideon into bed even once, she could trick him at first into thinking the baby was his, and by the time he figured out it couldn't be his, it would be too late because she would have already gotten him to marry her right away and she could guilt-trip manipulate Gideon into not stranding her in shame by divorcing her. Even if Gideon used a condom. Cary always used condoms with Tatiana. But Cary knew condoms are not 100% effective, so he knew he could be the father of Tatiana's baby.