"Captivated by You"

Sylvia Day

Regarding Gideon sending Corinne mixed messages

If a man tells you while you are still in Europe with your husband that he has met someone and it is the first time in 5 or 6 years that he has said that and he walks out on you after you flew across the pond to see him to follow her when she leaves him and he will not be intimate with you even though he had been in the past and he tells you there is no future with him for you and he won't return your phone calls and he will not kiss you and he calls your husband to come for you then regardless of a few dinners, his message is very clear. He is just not into you and you should take the hint.

Hi Betty, you're right.

But what if the said man is always there for you? If you're in love with him you'll hold on to that with all you have got, won't you?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Corrine did delude herself into thinking that if she could get Gideon into bed even once, she could trick him at first into thinking the baby was his, and by the time he figured out it couldn't be his, it would be too late because she would have already gotten him to marry her right away and she could guilt-trip manipulate Gideon into not stranding her in shame by divorcing her. Even if Gideon used a condom. Cary always used condoms with Tatiana. But Cary knew condoms are not 100% effective, so he knew he could be the father of Tatiana's baby.

I meant get Gideon to marry her the instant her divorce was final. She must have been doing everything in her power to move that along, which included leaving JFG and returning to the United States? Was she thinking a quickie divorce somewhere in the country where those are granted, and just as quick an elopement with Gideon?

Even a normal woman head over heels for a guy sending mixed messages falls into the trap of reading too much into everything she thinks is a positive sign he wants her, and she will discount/deny everything that is not a positive sign. Especially if a guy is saying one thing but doing another. Even more than hyper-analyzing every last word a man says, she will hyper-analyze everything he does. Look what Gideon was doing. Going out of his way to appear with Corrine in front of the press and not lifting a finger to stop the press from thinking they were a couple again. Graduated from talking to her on the phone to spending free time with her, especially because free time is very precious for him. Most of all, not spending time with Eva anymore. She had good reason to believe he had loved her once. Because he did in a way, as capable as he was of love back then. Was she fooling herself into thinking he loved her still but was scared to act on it yet because she was still a married woman?

Even a normal woman head over heels for a guy sending mixed messages falls into the trap of reading too much into everything she thinks is a positive sign he wants her, and she will discount/deny everything that is not a positive sign. Especially if a guy is saying one thing but doing another. Even more than hyper-analyzing every last word a man says, she will hyper-analyze everything he does. Look what Gideon was doing. Going out of his way to appear with Corrine in front of the press and not lifting a finger to stop the press from thinking they were a couple again. Graduated from talking to her on the phone to spending free time with her, especially because free time is very precious for him. Most of all, not spending time with Eva anymore. She had good reason to believe he had loved her once. Because he did in a way, as capable as he was of love back then. Was she fooling herself into thinking he loved her still but was scared to act on it yet because she was still a married woman?

Hi hotreads

I believe Corinne was simply taken aback by Gideon's slipping away from her and was acting on it out of sheer terror to have to let him go. I can almost feel pity for her (when I'm in a really good mood, lol)

What role was Anne Lucas playing in feeding Corrine's delusions that Corrine's attempts to get Gideon back were working, and that if Corrine just kept doing what she was doing, she would win his heart again?

Anne must have received a blow-by-blow from her husband Terry about what went on at the Waldorf dinner. Was she feeding Corrine's delusions Gideon was thrilled to see her and ignored his new girlfriend in favor of Corrine so bad there was a scene and the girlfriend stormed off? Downplaying the fact Gideon ran after Eva by saying he felt he had to, just because his girlfriend was insecure? The way he treated Corrine at dinner proved he wanted Corrine and she did the right thing going back to him? Then there was the night of the party at the hotel. Anne knew all about that f-pad upstairs. Did she know from Corrine the hotel held serious history from her relationship/engagement years ago? Maybe Anne fed Corrine's delusions Gideon asked her to the party because he planned to take her upstairs afterward and make love to her and then spend the whole night with her to prove his love and that he regretted Corrine broke the engagement so long ago because he wouldn't spend whole nights with her back then? That it was pure bad luck the kitchen fire happened and ruined his romantic plan for that night?

A real expert at mentally manipulating people, was Anne building her up emotionally even while with drugs, she was making Corrine's existing depression deeper? Was Anne counting on Gideon sleeping with Corrine, knowing Gideon was promiscious? Because Anne was a married woman he slept with, Anne thought Corrine being married wouldn't stop him? Anne counting on that once Gideon slept with Corrine, onto his reject pile she would go? Then kill herself? And after she was dead, Gideon would find out about the baby? And be doubly destroyed? Maybe even think the baby was his, if he never found out how far along Corrine had been? Did Anne know all along Corrine was pregnant? Lied to her the medications were safe for a pregant woman? And after Corrine was dead, Anne would claim she had no reason to believe her patient was pregnant and Corrine never told her?

Hi hotreads

I believe Corinne was simply taken aback by Gideon's slipping away from her and was acting on it out of sheer terror to have to let him go. I can almost feel pity for her (when I'm in a really good mood, lol)

At the end of Bared To You, I felt sorry for Corrine but was afraid she was going to be trouble because Gideon would not cut her off. At the end of Reflected In You, I hated her guts but was afraid she still was going to be trouble even though I now knew Gideon had only been using her and she deserved it. At the Entwined With You, I still hated her but I felt sorry for her again. I became afraid Corrine had been deliberately been driven to suicide by someone who was maliciously using her, Anne Lucas, to try to destroy Gideon.

I think JFG is taking Corrine back to Paris as soon as she gets out of the hospital, and that Gideon won't even talk to Corrine ever again, so Corrine won't be any more trouble. But it also means Gideon won't find out the the real story about what Anne Lucas did, and GidEva won't know how dangerous a bitter enemy Anne is. I think "lured out of the shadows" now means Anne and her husband Terry Lucas. The Girouxs are going back into the shadows.

I guess to put it another way is this. At the end of Bared To You, I thought Corrine never deserved to have her heart broken years ago. I felt like Gideon did, that Corrine's only mistake was loving him but he could not love her back nor give her a future. At the end of Reflected In You, I felt Corrine deserved that everyone thought Gideon still loved her and wanted a future with her because Corrine maliciously tried to fool Eva into believing it. Corrine wanted to destroy GidEva's future, and she almost did. At the end of Entwined With You, I thought Corrine never deserved to have her mind broken because Anne wanted to destroy GidEva's future. And I'm afraid the mind games Corrine pulled will be child's play compared to the mind games Anne is going to attempt. Thank God Eva at last is in a strong place and Gideon will get there too.

Did I miss something? Everyone here is talking like Anne was Corinne's doctor. I don't remember that being anything more than speculation. Was that ever confirmed anywhere ??

I agree with you.  I don't remember it either and I am in the process of rereading.  In the middle of RIY.  I started to reread cause I thought I was missing something.  Will "revise and revisit" when the reread is complete.

I know, srsly. Ya think? A normal woman would.

But we are talking crazy Corrine, already an obsessive even before Anne Lucas apparently got her psychiatric claws on Corrine and started feeding her drugs to drive her literally insane. Corrine had Gideon Cross all to herself for three years as his girlfriend, lover and even fiancee. Then he slipped through her fingers. She never got over it. And something set her off over there in France that made her decide to leave her husband for Gideon even before Eva entered the picture. Finding out about Eva merely slowed Corrine down a week or so, but then she went for it anyway. Kah-ray-zee.

But think about the night of Nathan's death. The tabloids already were going nuts about the two of them going out to dinner together a few nights earlier. Then Gideon asked her to appear with him at a publicity event, something where there definitely would be photographers and press invited. So she had to think he deliberately wanted people seeing them together? 100% true -- he did. At that event in front the press, he touched her in a way that would make anyone assume they were intimate again. True -- but because he was desperate and everything was riding on the picture deliberately fostering that impression for the cops. One cop certainly looked at that picture and thought Gideon was with Corrine again -- Victor Reyes. So even though he knew Eva was in love with the guy, Victor showed her the photo to "prove" Gideon cheated on her Thursday night.

Did Corrine convince herself Gideon's original plans for that night involved taking her to bed upstairs after the publicity event? This was the hotel they spent three years together at, from the first time she seduced him to the end of the engagement. And believe it would have happened if the kitchen fire hadn't ruined things? And so fool herself into thinking he had mixed feelings? He was saying one thing (friends) but doing another (spending time with her and not seeing Eva anymore and not lifting a finger to stop the tabloid gossip)? That's definitely a mixed message. A deliberate one.

He should feel guilty for using her that night. Well, only a little. She was the one all along trying to lead him on, and maybe she thought she was slowly making progress? Then things came crashing down a week and a half later. He told her they shouldn't be spending time together anymore. But he continued to take her calls. So she thought he left the door open and the setback was just temporary? It wasn't until a week later he quit taking her calls. It was because he decided to never speak to her again because he found out from Eva that Corrine tried to trick her he had been in the middle of having morning sex with her when Eva showed up unannounced at Corrine's apartment.

So the guy never took her upstairs at the hotel that held so much sexual history to them, kept telling her all he could offer was friendship, told her he couldn't see her any more, and finally stopped taking her calls. Instead of taking the hint, she started stalking him in person at his office building. Did she also try stalking him at his penthouse? She did live right around the corner. If she did, she figured out he wasn't coming home at night. Guessed the truth he was seeing Eva again?

Thank you for the analysis. I love discussions in this form.

I think Corinne, like Magdalena, thought Gideon was still in love with her. We know he never did love her even though they spent several years in an exclusive relationship. I do not think he said one thing and did another. I do think Corinne put her own spin on what he did because she wanted it to be more like women often do.

When I wrote my comment I thought about the book and movie "He's Just Not That Into You". Personally when I read the Gideon-Corinne relationship, I found it very realistic. A man behaves a certain way because he feels he should, there is nothing else and it does not require a lot of effort. When Corinne left and he did not follow, that was him saying loud and clear "I do not care!"

Gideon would continue to talk to Corinne during the years after their break-up and help her in New York because he was not angry and did not hold a grudge. If Corinne had said no to Gideon he would have taken someone else. As Magdalena said maybe Corinne should not have made herself so available. I do not think he should feel guilty since he told her his feelings.

When Gideon falls for someone as he did for Eva, he lets nothing stand in way including his own rules to have her.

I agree with you.  I don't remember it either and I am in the process of rereading.  In the middle of RIY.  I started to reread cause I thought I was missing something.  Will "revise and revisit" when the reread is complete.

I don't believe it was revealed that Anne was Corrine's shrink. We are all speculating here...and I don't blame anyone...we are all trying to be patient & remain sane ourselves waiting for the darn book to be released.

Did I miss something? Everyone here is talking like Anne was Corinne's doctor. I don't remember that being anything more than speculation. Was that ever confirmed anywhere ??

Hi Avid Reader & GLH,

It was never confirmed (i.e. out of the mouth of Sylvia herself or written anywhere).  This is all strictly speculation until we get a book in our hands that says that exact same thing.  :) 

Thus far, there is absolutely no evidence to suggest that Anne Lucas was Corinne's doctor.  :)

I don't believe it was revealed that Anne was Corrine's shrink. We are all speculating here...and I don't blame anyone...we are all trying to be patient & remain sane ourselves waiting for the darn book to be released.

Hi Dgcaffeine,

You are correct.  :)

Lots of people are speculating Anne Lucas, a psychiatrist, was Corrine's doctor. But you're right, it hasn't been confirmed yet. (Pretty please, Sylvia, will you confirm here in the community? Like you used to confirm some Nathan stuff in Reflected In You? We're desperate here for anything you can give us!)

I'm basing my own speculation on the fact that at the very end of Entwined With You, Eva was deeply uneasy when she found out Anne Lucas is a psychiatrist. Eva's gut instinct alarm bell went off. Her gut instincts were right about crucial things to fear at the end of the two prior Crossfire novels, so it stands to reason she has reason to fear Anne. At the end of Bared To You, Eva feared Corrine was crazy stalking Gideon, and Eva was right. At the end of Reflected In You, Eva's gut believed what the detective told her, that Gideon killed Nathan to save her life, and she was right.

I'm not even going to try to guess how an Anne Lucas threat to the GidEva future will play itself out in Captivated By You. Because the Corrine threat in Reflected By You played out in ways I could not have imagined, as did the murder investigation in Entwined With You.

But I am having a blast speculating about -- and throwing out questions I hope Sylvia will answer here -- about things that might have already happened in the background that Eva knows nothing about concerning the Anne-Corrine connection, just like Sylvia did about the Nathan-Gideon-Eva connection, stuff that already happened in the past.

What we do know about what already has happened with Corrine is: someone was prescribing Corrine antidepressants, she was getting worse instead of better, and the last time Gideon spoke with Corrine, she was supposed to see her doctor the next day to either stop the medication or switch to something else, because what she was taking was the wrong medication. Then we knew Corrine tried to kill herself, and the method was pills. What we already know about Anne: she is a doctor, specifically a psychiatrist, and so an expert on medications. And Anne told Eva she knows of at least two women who suffered severe depression over Gideon. Connecting those dots: Anne possibly (I say likely) was the doctor prescribing the medication that made Corrine even sicker? Perhaps even the pills Corrine OD'd on were prescribed by Anne?

What possible motive would Anne have to drive Corrine to kill herself? Here are things we already know: Anne's brother killed himself. Whether or not Anne knows it, Gideon helped drive Hugh to suicide. (I think she knows). Whether or not Anne knows it, Hugh sexually abused Gideon as a child, and Anne's husband covered up the abuse. (I think she knows). Gideon's own family was devastated by suicide, his biological father when Gideon was a little boy. Gideon used Anne, bringing her to the point she was ready to leave her husband, then he dumped her. Corrine actually left her husband for Gideon. Anne has no way of knowing the real reason why, but Gideon used Corrine and then cut her off. So many parallels. So much intricately tied to Gideon's dark past. So much reason Anne could hate Gideon. So much of Gideon's dark past Anne potentially has as expert weapons in her hands to mentally destroy him with: child survivor of a suicide, child survivor of sexual abuse, Hugh's blood on his hands, using married women.

Gideon was blameless about his father's death, but children blame themselves for things like that, and the damage imprints on a child's soul. Gideon was blameless for being sexually abused as a child, but child victims blame themselves, and the damage imprints on a child's soul. Especially in his case, because Hugh, trained in child psychology, was convincing the child Gideon he "wanted it."

As a grown man, Gideon deliberately threatened Hugh with ruin, but Gideon never meant to cause Hugh to kill himself, and Gideon carries guilt about the death. As a grown man, Gideon deliberately used Anne for revenge, but he carries guilt about it -- carries even more guilt now that Gideon knows what it is like to truly love a woman. He believes Terry Lucas loves Anne the way Gideon loves Eva. And all along, Gideon has felt guilty about Corrine, and Corrine has been playing on his guilt. Eva saw that immediately, and that was when Gideon had no reason to feel guilty about the broken engagement. But now Gideon knows how devastating it is to love and then to face the fear of losing that loved one.

Look at how much damage was done to Gideon as a child by Hugh, who played Gideon's guilt like a fiddle. Think about the danger Anne could pose, if she is as sick as her brother and also is an mental health professional who could use guilt to damage Gideon.

Mind you, Gideon should not blame himself for Hugh's death. Hugh was a monster, and when Gideon threatened him with ruin, Gideon was doing so to stop Hugh from victimizing any more children. Hugh was 100% responsible for his crimes, and he chose the coward's way out. For that matter, Gideon's father was 100% responsible for his crimes, and his father also chose the coward's way out.

Anne was not a helpless victim getting used. She threw herself at Gideon, and she was married to boot to a man who loved her. Corrine was not a helpless victim, not years ago and not this past summer. Years ago, from day one Corrine was the one chasing Gideon and pushing him for more, and she was the one who broke the engagement, then married someone else. In the recent past, she ended her marriage to a man who loved her specifically to throw herself at Gideon. What's worse, she knew Gideon was in love with Eva, and Corrine did everything in her power to try to destroy that love.

One last thought: a recurring theme in the novels has been how GidEva struggling to overcome the devastation of being child sexual abuse victims, and how repeatedly they face their insecurities being used against them. In Eva's case, this has run the gamut from her mother always getting her way via laying guilt trips to Gideon emotionally using Eva's love against her with "meticulous precision." With Gideon, it has ranged from his ex keeping herself in his life via laying guilt trips to being in the hands of a pedophile using child psychology against him with meticulous precision.

Thank God that Eva is swearing off paying out any more emotional extortion to her mother. She is healed from Gideon deliberately breaking her heart, because she understands now why he felt he had to do it. I hope Gideon has finally cut Corrine out of his life. I trust Eva's love and Dr. Petersen's help will heal his damaged soul.

Regarding Gideon sending Corinne mixed messages

If a man tells you while you are still in Europe with your husband that he has met someone and it is the first time in 5 or 6 years that he has said that and he walks out on you after you flew across the pond to see him to follow her when she leaves him and he will not be intimate with you even though he had been in the past and he tells you there is no future with him for you and he won't return your phone calls and he will not kiss you and he calls your husband to come for you then regardless of a few dinners, his message is very clear. He is just not into you and you should take the hint.

Very well said Betty in other words take a hint B I T C H or even better take a walk!! LOL