"Captivated by You"

Sylvia Day

Reading the prenup again, you get the feeling that G knew how bad things were going to get. He said himself he was so scared of messing it all up and that E would want to do a runner. I think he knows he's going to have to deal with his demons and what it will do to him - he just wanted to anchor E to him in any way possible in the hope that at the end she might still be there.....so that he gets a chance to pick up the pieces and hopefully put it all back together again.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reading the prenup again, you get the feeling that G knew how bad things were going to get. He said himself he was so scared of messing it all up and that E would want to do a runner. I think he knows he's going to have to deal with his demons and what it will do to him - he just wanted to anchor E to him in any way possible in the hope that at the end she might still be there.....so that he gets a chance to pick up the pieces and hopefully put it all back together again.

Totally agree with this Chiara; well said. :)

I think Gideon knows that he has more crap to lay on Eva and just needed that marriage to insure her being with him.  He asked her what she needed to know before they got married.  She asked a few questions but I think there are tons more that will come up.  G knows she is gonna have a lot more to deal with.  I think Deanna is just the tip of the iceberg.

I love the ring idea.  I think Lizzie made up her mind that G was gonna ask Corinne and let him have the ring.  I think she probably almost dropped dead when she saw it on E.  That makes me happy.

Dr. Terry and his nutso wife Anne are gonna cause a lot of grief for G and E.  They are in this together to make the Crosses miserable.  I don't for one minute think that the Lucas marriage is a happy one.  I think both partners blame G for that.  

Still not sure where Hugh comes in on this.  I feel there is a connection.  Also wonder---Why is Will a character in this book?  He seems to have no place here.  Could he be Hugh's son or family member?  As of now, he is a throwaway character and Sylvia does not do that.

I have thought about this a little more as I am reading thru the books again. It occurred to me that Gideon does not seem to know that Christopher may have been abused too. But Lizzie said to Eva that Christopher was there and denied that Gideon was abused. The more I consider this, I think both Gideon and Christopher were abused and neither realize that the other one was. Further, I think that Christopher blames Gideon for his abuse since Gideon's behavior brought Hugh into their lives (even though Christopher was acting up also!). Gideon was about 10 and Christopher would have been 5. Both were manipulated and intimidated by Hugh and are suppressing the events. I think this, besides normal sibling rivalry, is why Christopher so hates Gideon.

One other point... When Lizzie saw her ring on Eva, she freaked out. Do you think Gideon asked her for the ring while the world thought he was back with Corinne and when Lizzie saw it on Eva she didn't know how to handle it?

I also think some of the anger is because Hugh abused Christopher but I don't think it was while Gideon was still at home.  Abusers rarely change their preference and if Hugh likes pre-teen/teen boys he wouldn't be interested in Chris jr. until he reached that age.  My guess is he blames Gideon for leaving.

We talked about the ring before and I'm not sure what the story is.  I think Liz was hoping for Corrine as a daughter in law but I'm wondering if Gideon had the ring for a long time.  We will see.

I think you are right.  Gideon told Eva that we she questioned if he thought the document would keep them together.

I think Gideon knows that he has more crap to lay on Eva and just needed that marriage to insure her being with him.  He asked her what she needed to know before they got married.  She asked a few questions but I think there are tons more that will come up.  G knows she is gonna have a lot more to deal with.  I think Deanna is just the tip of the iceberg.

I love the ring idea.  I think Lizzie made up her mind that G was gonna ask Corinne and let him have the ring.  I think she probably almost dropped dead when she saw it on E.  That makes me happy.

Dr. Terry and his nutso wife Anne are gonna cause a lot of grief for G and E.  They are in this together to make the Crosses miserable.  I don't for one minute think that the Lucas marriage is a happy one.  I think both partners blame G for that.  

Still not sure where Hugh comes in on this.  I feel there is a connection.  Also wonder---Why is Will a character in this book?  He seems to have no place here.  Could he be Hugh's son or family member?  As of now, he is a throwaway character and Sylvia does not do that.

I don't think he is a throw away character.  He was there to keep Eva busy while she was dealing with her breakup with Gideon.  I also think it is one more person who makes her love her job so much.  She works well with her co-workers and Gideon is going to have to do something big to get her to pull away from them and work for him.

Glh, I also think there's more to Deanna then that one nigjt..I've always had that feeling..I also said that's why the wedding was rushed he needs that security when this all comes crashing down and it looks like it does she says her love is being tested to limits she don't no I'd she co uld bear not excat words..

I don't think he is a throw away character.  He was there to keep Eva busy while she was dealing with her breakup with Gideon.  I also think it is one more person who makes her love her job so much.  She works well with her co-workers and Gideon is going to have to do something big to get her to pull away from them and work for him.

Sharon, thought - maybe Will is Hugh ??

Someone mentioned a while back that maybe Lizzy's ring was auctioned off when her husband got in trouble for the Ponzi scheme(b.c they lost all of their money), and somewhere down the road, Gideon bought it back. I like that Idea too b/c then he has something nice from when his parents were together and they were all happy. Happy memories to give to Eva. And he wouldn't have needed to ask his mother for it...ask her for anything. Ughh...not a fan of that woman.

Anne skeeves me out...big time....She's just a whole lot of trouble. I don't understand hers and Lucas's marriage...I don't know how he could still be w/ her. She still cheats on him! Who knows, maybe he does the same and they really don't love each other as much as Gideon thinks they do. Maybe they stay together for show. She hit on Gideon, not the other way around.

I think Will is just a co-worker too.

Dr. Travis expertise is with troubled teens so I can't see Gideon having therapy with him...

True but Cary still chats w/ him...through Skype I think?

I think Will is Will end of story...LOL. :)

I thought that maybe Will was brought in to keep an eye on Eva, not sure if it was Gideon that sent him though.  He showed up right when Eva and Gideon 'broke up'.  I think Gideon would have sent a female to keep tabs, so someone else sent him maybe?

Will has to have a purpose. Megumi is the coworker and we talk about her a lot. Eva needed a girl friend. Shawna's purpose was to get Eva to that concert. And to be another girlfriend. I have read just about all of Sylvia's books and she never has a character who just is. Not that I can remember anyway.

I love the idea of Gideon buying the ring at auction. The less about Lizzie the better to me.

Someone mentioned a while back that maybe Lizzy's ring was auctioned off when her husband got in trouble for the Ponzi scheme(b.c they lost all of their money), and somewhere down the road, Gideon bought it back. I like that Idea too b/c then he has something nice from when his parents were together and they were all happy. Happy memories to give to Eva. And he wouldn't have needed to ask his mother for it...ask her for anything. Ughh...not a fan of that woman.

Anne skeeves me out...big time....She's just a whole lot of trouble. I don't understand hers and Lucas's marriage...I don't know how he could still be w/ her. She still cheats on him! Who knows, maybe he does the same and they really don't love each other as much as Gideon thinks they do. Maybe they stay together for show. She hit on Gideon, not the other way around.

I think Will is just a co-worker too.

True but Cary still chats w/ him...through Skype I think?

This is the theory that I like best about the ring.  It would make it more precious to Gideon & Eva.

I agree with Anne/Terry marriage.  Anne is a loose cannon.  She is up to no good.

Cary chats with Will?  Cary chats with him because he was a patient.  I don't think he will take on a new older  patient .

I thought that maybe Will was brought in to keep an eye on Eva, not sure if it was Gideon that sent him though.  He showed up right when Eva and Gideon 'broke up'.  I think Gideon would have sent a female to keep tabs, so someone else sent him maybe?

I don't think he is a Gideon plant because of the reaction he had to Gideon when Eva stayed in the elevator.  (When Gideon gave her the ring back)  If he was a plant he wouldn't have reacted to Gideon asking Eva to stay.

I still think Will is just a co-worker.

I am really a hughe fan of the series (so far they have been my all-time favorites) but that back cover did it. I don't think I will buy the book until book 5 is out because if 4 ends with a cliffhanger again, I won't be held accountable for my actions (I really don't want to loose my precious e-book reader :-)  ) :-( I was in such a happy place with Eva and Gideon being married and that cover scared the heck out of me. And I start to get annoyed with this waiting game while Sylvia is publishing all sorts of other books. Sorry for venting like this but I am truly getting ticked... :-(

hey here is my theory because Im really excited about this book.  the title itself "Captivated by You"  means Eva and Gideon are still strongly into each other and will stay together even if its gonna be a teary bumpy ride . Corinne suicide attempts has probably open Eva's security  over her and there's Deanna who did a massive favor for her and Gideon re the sex tape ans she's covering the wedding ,so she'll be around too but then that's Eva she said she will always be jealous even they are married.  Also Gideon has to learn to share things with Eva instead of taking things all to himself and solve the problems alone.

(I could understand Gideon though, in a way Im like that . i want to do things my way so i dont tell to my family I just plan and tell things to them the way i want it to be done thinking its better for them) ok that is just a segway back to my crazy theories. :) 

Im expecting that Corrines' will be resolve here as well as Brett (im getting tired of these two its time they get out of the picture lol) . the wedding should be happening here as refers to "the brightest day of our lives....  then there's Eva's parents and Cary. Gideon facing his demon re: the sexual abuse so there's Christopher,Elizabeth and Lucas . I guess this is gonna be dark for Gideon and Eva .

so maybe the "bitter enemy coming out in the shadow"  would be a new character that would round up in Book 4 and will finished in book  5? how about its actually a Geoffrey Cross enemy .Gideon said that even up to now some people talks about it. Once the engagement leading up to the wedding ,which is very public, Gideon gonna be crazy over protective because obviously Eva is gonna be a target now . Sylvia said Gideon has to deal with his possessiveness with Eva as If he couldn't live without her. Eva is already strong and stable in EWY so she just need to push herself to help Gideon . 

OMG i have this crazy theory how about Evas' dad and Detective Grave together hahaha. it got me confuse why Detective Grave asked Eva .. "what is his dad thinking about Gideon Cross,  seriously that actually cross the investigation inquiry right? 

all in all I really think that Sylvia made a right decision to make the book in quintet because there are so many issues  here and she is actually telling a rollercoaster ride here  and she cant just tied it up in 3 books , its more like cheating happy ending to me not fast forwarding it is much more realistic to me  since there's no leap in time the books.

ok im done . I really miss Cross  x 

I agree.  I get a queasy every time i read that.

I am really a hughe fan of the series (so far they have been my all-time favorites) but that back cover did it. I don't think I will buy the book until book 5 is out because if 4 ends with a cliffhanger again, I won't be held accountable for my actions (I really don't want to loose my precious e-book reader :-)  ) :-( I was in such a happy place with Eva and Gideon being married and that cover scared the heck out of me. And I start to get annoyed with this waiting game while Sylvia is publishing all sorts of other books. Sorry for venting like this but I am truly getting ticked... :-(

Sylvia never did a bad cliffhanger though . I know she left us with gasp and tears in Reflected in You but still at the end they are together right , As long as they are together and shows proof solidarity it is still  a  good ending   :)

Dr. Travis expertise is with troubled teens so I can't see Gideon having therapy with him...

Gideon is chronologically 28 but regarding his abuse is still an adolescent because he never dealt with it.  The key to successful therapy is the relationship between the patient and the therapist.  If Cary and Eva still relate to Dr. Travis then I think Gideon can too.