The New Entwined Clues Sylvia Is Posting

LN Cronan

I think Brett just matured, and realised that his feelings for Eva went deeper than he thought. Your right that he's not a bad person. He's just got caught up in an extremely intense relationship in which there's no good outcome for Brett. Sorry you had your chance and blew it mate!

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Brett just matured, and realised that his feelings for Eva went deeper than he thought. Your right that he's not a bad person. He's just got caught up in an extremely intense relationship in which there's no good outcome for Brett. Sorry you had your chance and blew it mate!

It would have never worked out between the two of them four years ago, because Eva was still too broken at the time. This was before her father, knowing something was wrong with her (though in the dark about why) persuaded her to enter therapy.

She started seeing Dr. Travis, continuing to do so for the next four years, up to the time she moved to New York. Therapy helped repair much of the damage Nathan inflicted. She stopped believing sex was the only way to connect with guys. A "recovering s**t" is how she described herself to Gideon, during their North Carolina trip when she compared how she had been back in the Brett days versus the woman she is now.

Back then, the whole connection she had with Brett on her side was because the situation was set up for her to degrade herself, which at the time was the only way she knew, a truly dysfunctional way. Meanwhile, he was too wrapped up in the promiscuity his lifestyle made possible.

In the end, even she recognized that f****** him in a bathroom stall between sets at a concert was degrading. The last straw, which prompted her to disappear from his life via one of her "runners" was overhearing him laughing about her to the band's drummer.

What about all these years later -- him gotten screwing around out of his system and settled down, and dreaming that some day Eva would come back into his life, approaching him at a concert? It still would not have worked out, because she still had serious issues, the worst being her insecurity/jealousy problem. Those issues had been her major problem on her side of the relationship with Gideon -- her role in the reason the relationship was so rocky. Because she loved Gideon, she ended up facing those demons on her own in the end -- facing them, oddly enough, after she'd dumped Gideon.

She'd have never gotten that far in personal growth if Gideon hadn't been in her life at the time Brett's life path and her life path crossed again when they had today. As it was, the Gideon relationship reached a fork in the road where it could have easily broken her for good instead of making her grow. By the time things had really gotten bad with Gideon (when Gideon deliberately pushed her away by hurting her) Cary had been scared the Gideon relationship had the potential to eff her up permanently. It didn't, in the end.

Regarding the book cover of EWY. I don't get the significance of the bottle of perfume. I understand the USA version. Why are they different?

So, it's a bottle of perfume ---  hmmm...

Your thoughts LN Cronan?   LOL

Below is my educated guess based on some of the college courses I took on visual marketing plus some work related experience having worked retail jobs (mostly part time as second income). I've never worked in book retailing, but I imagine the same sorts of things that apply in how other things are set up to catch the competing attention of shoppers.

Some of the international covers, I think, are more generic romance-genre covers in order to entice romance fiction fans in those countries to pick up a Crossfire book from among other books on the shelf -- readers who are not yet fans of Sylvia herself but who would be drawn by a pretty cover that appeals to a wider general audience.

Sylvia is gaining a reputation in other parts of the world, but presently it's in the United States and Canada where she's now become such a name that her name alone on the cover is enough to prompt a reader to pick up the book (and for the bookstores to place her books near the front of the store, where they have the best shot at being seen by shoppers.)

Book covers are meant to entice shoppers to pick up a volume. The next natural thing is to read the description (on the back cover for softcover and the inside front dust jacket for hardcover). Now that the shopper is holding a book and the description interests him/her comes the tipping point: do I buy this book? When a book is in a section of the store (here, the romance section) it's the picture that needs to tempt the reader. At the front of the store, it's the author name.

General principles of all retail in-store marketing is to get shoppers to handle the merchandise. The mere act of holding something increases the desire to consider owning it. General principle of all visual marketing (advertisements -- and the cover of a book is an ad for the book itself) is to catch the eye of as wide an audience as possible, especially new audiences.

Hi LN Cronan.

I have loved reading all your comments along with Gigi over these past few weeks. You made me see this story from a totally different angle on occasions. Things that had niggled at me all became clear.

With all the theories that you banded about, I'm sure Sylvia could have written several different outcomes to this story.

You have a wicked sense of humour, which sits quite perfectly with me.

Thank you for the entertainment. Please continue.

I don't think that Gideon will marry Eva to keep her from having to testify against him. That's not very romantic! Being that this a romantic novel, i will be disappointed if that happens. 

No it wouldn't be very romantic but I don't think it will be necessary

I think I remember Sylvia saying somewhere that the UK/international covers were of Eva's things, and the US covers were of Gideons things.

I like how the covers aren't embarassing though...lol..Even though i've been reading them on my iPad...

Looking at the covers that does explain things

I've been reading everyones speculations for a while now and decided to join in on the conversation... Here are my thoughts on our snapshots:

1: Press release and pen, maybe a Newspaper story on the discovery of Nathan's dead body and the suspicion of his connection to the attack on Cary. Perhaps a line of "if you have information please contact NYPD detectives ...." Or a line of how evidence was found linking him to possible future attacks?

2: Presents with Red and Green wrapping paper... Eva & Gideon waking up together, its like Christmas Morning. :-)

3: Coffee in a fancy tea cup with saucer, the Marketing ad for the Blueberry flavored coffee, almost as Eva described it to Mark.

4: Smokey stage with a single microphone, something to do with Brett and his song "Golden"

5: Fluffy towels tied with a red ribbon, maybe a spa date with Eva and her mom or Eva and Ireland?

6: Soaking tub, could be more romantic bubble baths either Eva and Gideon, or soaking more bruises, or maybe re-decorating the North Carolina beach house?

I've been reading everyones speculations for a while now and decided to join in on the conversation... Here are my thoughts on our snapshots:

1: Press release and pen, maybe a Newspaper story on the discovery of Nathan's dead body and the suspicion of his connection to the attack on Cary. Perhaps a line of "if you have information please contact NYPD detectives ...." Or a line of how evidence was found linking him to possible future attacks?

2: Presents with Red and Green wrapping paper... Eva & Gideon waking up together, its like Christmas Morning. :-)

3: Coffee in a fancy tea cup with saucer, the Marketing ad for the Blueberry flavored coffee, almost as Eva described it to Mark.

4: Smokey stage with a single microphone, something to do with Brett and his song "Golden"

5: Fluffy towels tied with a red ribbon, maybe a spa date with Eva and her mom or Eva and Ireland?

6: Soaking tub, could be more romantic bubble baths either Eva and Gideon, or soaking more bruises, or maybe re-decorating the North Carolina beach house?

Hi peachies

I'm in complete agreement with your thoughts on snap shots 2-6 but I vary with you on snapshot 1

Snap shot 1 I think will be a article on Vidal records latest signings success of six ninths how they are being so successfully selling out packed arenas.

Brett who is Eva in "Golden"

I've hooked up with her recently and it's Eva Tramell and I hope we can start over again

Hi peachies

I'm in complete agreement with your thoughts on snap shots 2-6 but I vary with you on snapshot 1

Snap shot 1 I think will be a article on Vidal records latest signings success of six ninths how they are being so successfully selling out packed arenas.

Brett who is Eva in "Golden"

I've hooked up with her recently and it's Eva Tramell and I hope we can start over again

I think that could be a possibility. I think if it has only been 2weeks from where we left off I'm hoping they can move out of the shadow of Nathan and forward as Eva & Gideon, maybe discovering a few if Gideons secrets along the path?

And I'm hoping Brett doesn't become a bigger character in this book. :-)

It's Tuesday! Twice-weekly snapshot will come this morning. Today will be a glimpse into Chapter 7.

Recap of 1-6:

1. The word "Press" super-imposed over a fuzzy background shot of a newspaper page. A fancy pen in the foreground.

2. Unwrapped Christmas present boxes

3. The word "Business" next to a cup of coffee

4. A microphone on a stand

5. A pile of neatly-folded white terrycloth towels, wrapped in a red ribbon.

6. A bathtub in a modern-style bathroom

Here's the link to the page on syvliaday.com where you can find links to all the snapshots as well as the book snippets. Note: whenever something new (like the snapshot to be posted this morning) goes on this page, there's a rush of traffic that temporarily overwhelms the server, making it impossible to load the page. If you can't get in immediately, try back later: http://www.sylviaday.com/category/snippet/

My own theories on what each snapshot thus far signifies:

1. The word "Press" super-imposed over a fuzzy background shot of a newspaper page. A fancy pen in the foreground. 

Obviously in Chapter One, Gideon and Eva have a serious talk about a lot of stuff he's kept secret over the past three weeks, including how he'd used press photos of him and Corrine in public to try to fool the cops. A ploy that fail, so he and Eva need to figure out what to do next about the cops.

2. Unwrapped Christmas present boxes

The morning after they reconcile, with Gideon waking up in Eva's bed. She jokes that waking up with him is like waking up to Christmas presents. See snippet # 2 http://www.sylviaday.com/2012/11/22/entwined-snippet-2/

3. The word "Business" next to a cup of coffee

Eva at work, later that day, assisting her boss Mark on an advertising campaign to market flavored coffee.

4. A microphone on a stand 

Brett is back in New York! He's at some sort of publicity event in Times Square. I'm guessing he's about to announce "Golden" is Eva. See snippet #10, which Sylvia released one day before this snapshot: http://www.sylviaday.com/2013/03/27/entwined-snippet-10/

5. A pile of neatly-folded white terrycloth towels, wrapped in a red ribbon.

Gideon and Eva together later that night, I'm guessing in a hotel room he's set up as a love nest for the pair of them.

6. A bathtub in a modern-style bathroom 

A serious conversation in which Gideon reveals some stuff in his past. My top guess is he talks about the role Dr. Lucas had in the sexual abuse cover-up. In the past, Gideon and Eva have had several serious conversations in a bathroom, including the one where Gideon confessed taking revenge against Dr. Lucas by sleeping with the guy's wife.

My guess for snapshots #5 and 6 had been Gideon and Eva getting together for a tryst in a hotel room he's set up as a love nest, a place where they can meet away from their respective apartment buildings, both of which may be under police surveillance.

As part of keeping up the appearance, each of them has to go home at night -- because if both of them stayed out all night, the cops would guess correctly they were meeting in secret.

Because the story is told from Eva's point of view, my guess is her back home at her apartment. Sitting alone -- or possibly sitting with Cary, who is not supposed to be drinking because of his pain meds (thus only one wine glass.)

It'd be so ironic, given Gideon's past of refusing to sleep with women anywhere other than in a hotel room -- including Corrine. Also of his refusal to spend an entire night with Corrine, the problem that became the deal-breaker to their engagement.